What Might Have Been

What Might Have Been

Chapter 4

 

Yunho was driving home by himself; he had a long day at work today. Questions were also playing in his mind. What might have been? What if? If only? These words hit him hard. He didn’t want to face up to these words. They puzzled him, they also gave him a headache that even aspirin couldn’t shake off. He found himself picturing him & Yuri together as Mr & Mrs. Jung; them having a little girl or boy, ‘Must be the beer thinking.’ Thought Yunho, as he stamped out the thoughts.

 

When he got home, he washed up & got ready for bed. Then he saw Jessica sleeping, clutching a book about the few months of pregnancy. He peered into the book & found she had highlighted key points, she had also written little notes as if she was talking to the baby in the book. He then looked at her angelic sleeping face again. He carefully took the book from her & placed the blankets over her & smiled. Yes, this was what he was meant for, a happy family with Jessica. That was it, it was only a case on the old ‘The grass is always greener on the other side’ when he was thinking. It must have been. Jessica & the baby was his destiny. His wife & child. The next day, Jessica had woke extra early for work. It was Yunho’s day off so he decided to call Yuri.

 

“Yul, you going to work today?”


“Only to pick up some things, the office is getting refurbished so I get a couple of days off.”


“Feel like doing something?”


“Like what?”


“I don’t know, catch a movie?”


“Well, I still have some cases to follow up.”

 

“Is this workaholic syndrome I hear?”

 

“Fine, cinema it is but lunch is on you, make that dinner too, because I’m greedy.”


“I’m all yours today, Jessica won’t be back until late.”

 

That hurtled Yuri; he was only spending time with her because Jessica was busy. That hurts.


“Sure, meet me at my office at three.”

 

“See you later.”

 

Both, Yuri & Yunho had a spent a long time choosing a movie but Yunho finally gave into Yuri & went to see ‘Most Cherished’, some chick flick.

 

The korean movie was about a girl, Hana, who was in love with her work colleague, Donggun, but Donggun had a child with his girlfriend, Eunbyul. Hana never did tell Donggun how she felt; she always pretended to be happy for them. She only needed Donggun to be happy, if he was happy then she was but one afternoon, she died in a car accident. Donggun was deeply affected by this & never got over her death & realized that Hana was such a strong part of him, how much she meant to be him & how much he loved her. On her gravestone, he had etched in the words ‘Most Cherished’. Not long after his girlfriend took their child & left him. She had sensed how Donggun felt for Hana & how he would never get over her death. This led Donggun to write a song about what he felt, his anger & sorrow over the death of Hana & name it ‘Most Cherished’. The song became a great hit which brought him fortune & awards. Years later, he met his old girlfriend & child & then he married her.

 

After watching the movie, Yuri & Yunho went to piano cafe.

 

“What did you think of the film?” Asked Yunho.

 

“A bit sad really, I expected it be full of mush, pure escapism.”

 

“I think the ending suited it, it’s good that the film was kept real.”

 

“But Hana & Donggun loved each other, they should have been together, Donggun should have known about Hana’s feelings.”


“Well, he probably did know about her feelings, I guess he didn’t want to face up to them.”

 

Then Yunho realized how much Donggun sounded like himself.

 

“But all those hints she gave him, he should have reacted. She loved him.”

 

“Well, what was he going to do with the baby, he had responsibilities?! He’s only doing the best he can!”

 

Yunho realized that he had raised his voice & sounded quite angry when he said that. Then he added in a softer voice.

 

“He only wanted everybody to be happy.”


“Well, he didn’t make himself happy, did he? Do you think he loved his girlfriend?” Questioned Yuri, as she just wanted to know because she had sensed that during the conversation, it was like Yunho had become Donggun, she was Hana & Jessica was the girlfriend, Eunbyul.


“He must have, he must have been.”


“Was he in love with his girlfriend?” Asked Yuri, her voice was now forceful & demanding. Her eyes had become misty.

 

After a long pauses, Yunho lifted his head up to face Yuri & in a voice that masked his weary, he answered, “He did, he owed it to her & the kid.”

 

Hearing this, Yuri’s heart skipped a beat. She looked startled. This was it. This was the answer. He loved her. They had a child together. A future together. A future she couldn’t share.

 

“Yeah, he did, didn’t he?”

 

Yuri forced on a weak smile. Then she asked, “Well, let’s order. I will go order. The usual?”


“Yeah, the usual.”

 

Yuri left their table to get to the counter. A tear somehow found its way down her cheek. She wiped it away; the waiter looked at her sympathetically

 

“Bad break up? Here, have a free cookie.”

 

He winked at her while she tried to protests.


“No, I’m fine. I just don’t feel too well.”


“Darling, I have worked here long enough to be able to identify a heart torn face. Just take the cookie along with your order. Next please.”

 

Yuri took the food away & went back to the table. Heart torn face? Surely not.


“Oh Yuri, Jessica asked me this morning to ask you whether you will come early to the wedding practice to help with her makeup?”


“Actually, I have something to tell both of you. Well, do you remember Tiffany?”


“Yeah, your lawyer friend.”


“Well, she’s offered me a partnership for a law firm.”


“Wow, congratulations.”


“Thanks & I’m sorry but I can’t be Jessica’s bridesmaid.”


“Oh, I see.”

 

“I can’t go to your wedding either; I leave in a week for San Francisco.”


“What? How? Where? I mean, why?”


“The law firm will be located in San Francisco.”


“But next week? Isn’t that a bit of a rushed?”


“Not really, I don’t have much to pack.”


“But this is your home, if you go to San Francisco then our kids won’t be able to play together, go to the same school & all those kind of things.”


“Well, in the direction that my love life is going, I don’t think children will come into my life anytime soon.” “Isn’t there anything in Seoul worth you staying?”


“No, I supposed not. I will miss you & Jessica though, I really will. Yunho Oppa, don’t look like that, be happy for me. You know I have always wanted to own a law firm. It’s in San Francisco as well, San Francisco, CA. It’s a dream come true.”

 

Yuri feigned a smile.


“Aren’t you happy for me?”


“It’s just so sudden.”


“I know but I will come visit you.”


“Well, what about the baby? Baby’s godmother won’t be with baby?”


“I will send baby letters, gifts & emails. I will make up for it.”


“Well, whatever makes you happy.”


After a long pauses, Yuri added in a small voice, “Yes, whatever makes me happy.”