Only A Fish

Fish

"So you're a fish?"

"I guess so."

Taekwoon sat at the edge of the side of the wooden dock. He continued to dry his hair while examining the fish. His name is Hongbin. He has fair skin, hair that was hazel, and has half the body of a fish. Okay. It was a bit to take in, but he managed to accept the situation.

"Please don't say anything about this. I could get killed by my family before the humans could get me. Then, my whole race will disappear one by--"

"I get it. A secret is a secret. It's safe with me."

"Really, that's it?" Hongbin leaned against the wooden pole that supported the whole structure.

"Yeah, just don't eat me."

"We mermaids don't eat humans. They're filled with that disgusting food you people call cheeseburgers. Besides, you're the ones who turned us into sushi."

Taekwoon scoffed,"Whatever. I should finish cleaning or else my boss will give me a scolding."

"Can I stay?"

"Why? You like me or something?" He started to get up.

"N-no! It's just that a mermaid gets lonely."

Taekwoon continued his job while being watched by Hongbin the fish. It was kind of awkward at first, but they eventually made a conversation. Mr. Fish wasn't so bad and he made the job a bit more lively. They talked about the life underwater and above land. They shared their differences and likes, but the sun started to set.

"I have to leave now. My parents will wonder where I'm at," Hongbin waved goodbye to Taekwoon.

"See you later, fish?"

Hongbin grinned. His dimples showed,"Sure, human." He swam away and left Taekwoon to be alone again.

Taekwoon finished the last few swipes and headed home.

--

On his swim home, he felt happy. Everything actually went well. The extinction of mermaids was stopped and he met Taekwoon. Although their first impressions weren't exactly as how Hongbin thought how they would go, but that was a huge step towards in the "Taek-Taekwoon-to-be-my-wife" plan.

"Hongbin!"

The blue tailed mermaid swam towards him. It was a merman named Wonshik. He preferred to be called Ravi, but Hongbin thinks Won suited him better. "You haven't been home since 7 am. Where have you been? You're parents were about to kill me because they thought I lost you. They've gotta stop thinking me as your guardian. I already got a pet fish to take care of."

"I've been with the Taekme boy," As soon as he said it, he already regretted what he said.

Won grabbed his shoulders and shook him, "I knew it! How many times do I have to tell you?! He's a freaking human. And you're a fish. He's going to eat you, and he's definitely not going to fall for a fish."

"I thought you supported me! You're the one who came up with that code name for him."

"That was before you told me he was a human. Human, Hongbin! I'm doing this for your safety. As well as, the rest of the population of mermaids!"

"You're not my mother. Stop babying me!"

Won started to massage his temples, "You're mother left you in my care because she sits on her all day. She clearly did not raise you right. She didn't even had time."

Hongbin stuck his tongue out at him swam towards his house.

"I always have to protect that baby..."

--

The next day Hongbin waited for Taekwoon to arrive at the dock. He was later than usual.

"Hey Hongbin!" Taekwoon?

He's here! "I've been waiting so long for y--

It was only Won, "What do you want now?" Hongbin sighed.

Won swam towards Hongbin, "Since you're so ing stubborn, I'm staying with you incase you get hurt."

Hongbin crossed his arms,"Fine, but don't say or do anything. I don't want you to embarrass me."

Won rolled his eyes and did exactly what he was told. A minute later, Taekwoon had arrived but he heard a unfamiliar voice that followed with Taekwoon's.

"I haven't seen you in ages! Now we can finally spend some time together. Ugh, what is that smell? I almost stepped in . Oh my god. I almost ruined my shoes. It's too hot..." He's never heard this person before. It was a man's voice, but it had an annoying ring to it.

"Hide!" Hongbin whispered and they both hid beneath the waters.

Above, they could hear the muffled sounds of Taekwoon and the unknown voice.

--

"Why don't you spend more time with me? Hey, maybe I could get this job too and we could spend all day together!"

Taekwoon cringed at the idea,"I don't think I wanna do that..."

Today was his day off work and he decided to spend it with friends. But all of them were busy and the only person available was his annoying, but his best friend, Hakyeon. "I was just kidding...I'm kinda hurt now...But it's your day off, so lets make the best of our day. I wish the others were here too." He pouted.

"But why'd you pick to come here?"

"I wanted to see your work place. Something wrong with that?" Hakyeon walked to the edge of the dock and sat down. He slapped the wood to gesture Taekwoon to sit, "Sit down. I wanna rest before we go do anything else."

Taekwoon followed and sat near him.

"I always wonder what's in the water. I heard that we explored more of the moon than sea. Cool, huh?"

Taekwoon leaned back on his arms,"I guess, but how does knowing that help you in life?"

"Who knows, maybe it does. Tell this to your friends and they'll think you're a genius."

"It didn't change my thoughts about you, though."

"Hey! I am smart."

"Yeah, okay," Taekwoon grinned.

"I heard rumors about this place."

"What rumors?"

"Mermaids. Seems kind of childish, but I kind of want to believe that. It's pretty amazing that there could be another version of us in the water. Just like aliens."

"You probably won't believe what I've been through."

"What? Have you seen one before?"

"...No."

"Really?"

"They're not even real."

Hakyeon lifted an eyebrow, "I can never figure you out, Jung Taekwoon."

"Lets keep it that way." He snickered.

"I want ice cream. The heat is insane. How do you not die?"

"I ask myself that everyday. Come on." They both got up and walked to the nearest ice cream parlor.

--

Hongbin and Won swam behind a rock a few yards away from the dock.

Won had to catch his breath,"He was going to tell that guy about us!"

"He wasn't! You heard it yourself!"

"I don't care. He's trouble and we need to stay away from him. You need to stay away from him. He only thinks of you as a fish."

"I haven't felt this way in a long time. My parents don't have time for me and they don't give a about me. I want someone to talk to. I want somone to finally care about me."

"What about me?"

"We tried that last time. Remember? We broke up a day later. You're just family to me."

"No, I don't mean it like that. I care about you and you already know that. Isn't that enough?"

"No... I mean yes...But I don't want to let him go. He probably doesn't feel the same way as I do, but I want to at least try... try to be with him."

Wonshik sighed, "I guess I can't help it... But I'm keeping an eye on him and you."

"Thanks... Ravi."

"You know what? It sounds weird when you say "Ravi". Don't call me that. Just stick with Won."

"Thanks for ruining the moment."

"No problem," He gave a thumbs up.

Together, they swam back towards the dock only to find the two disappear. Hongbin hasn't seen who this other person was with Taekwoon. He hid before he could catch a glance. But a side of him didn't want to see who this person was. What is he to Taekwoon? He couldn't help but feel this way. It was an unfamiliar feeling.

--

Taekwoon and Hakyeon ambled back towards the dock. Hakyeon skipped to the place where they sat before. They both sat down and enjoyed their ice cream cones.

"How's Hyuk doing?"

"His sass has definitely gotten bigger. Where does he learn this from?" Hakyeon wiped away ice cream from his upper lip, "I think I should keep him away from Jaewhan."

"You should probably stop nagging him so much then."

"I can't help it. It's a mother's instinct."

"...But you're a guy."

"And you're his father! Why don't you talk some sense into him too!"

"Since when were we married?"

"Don't change the subject," He chopped Taekwoon's neck with his hand playfully.

Taekwoon reacted back by gently nudging him on the back, almost making Hakyeon fall into the water.

"H-hey!" He grabbed onto Taekwoon's shirt to keep him from dropping. Taekwoon chuckled and ruffled Hakyeon's chocolate-colored hair. A smile grew upon his face and started to join in on Taekwoon's laughter.

--

His heart throbbed and ached. He probably only did see him as a fish.

--

Second chapter! Again, thanks for everyone who takes time to read my fanfics. I hope you guys enjoy it. Have a nice day~