Battle of The Wills

The Annoying Newcomer

It is usual for trainees of JYPE to gather around once in a while at the main practice room after weeks of practicing by themselves. The gathering wasn’t something of a requirement; it’s just something that they do occasionally in order to get to know each other better, trade stories, give pointers, share experiences and et cetera. Some of the thoughtful ones would bring junk food and soft drinks as they enjoy performing and having dance battle with each other. All in all, every meeting would be filled with friendly vibes.

So it happens that today was the first gathering of the trainees that Jackson went to after a few months being one. Among the trainees that he knew and have been introduced to before was the boys that rumor has it would debut as a band – another first for JYPE. Then there was Yerin and the cute Jimin. As for the other girls, he simply nodded his head at them as greetings and saying ‘Annyeonghaseyo, Jackson ibnida’ over and over again as people walked by him.

Jackson carefully chose a seat that aligned his eyesight with the doorway yet allows him to have his attention on his friends too. He watched as one by one, trainees walked in, taking their places on the hardwood floor, dismissing them as soon as they were out of his sight.

“Not her, not her, no… not her..” he mumbled to himself under his breath, training his eyes on the door, yet trying to appear as if he’s doing otherwise. As he was occupied doing just that, Bambam came and sat next to him, two paper cups filled with soda in hands.

“Hyung, what are you doing?” Bambam asked innocently, handing a cup over to Jackson. The younger boy sipped at his full cup, his eyes roving over the room, smiling at anyone who made eye contact with him.

“Nothing.” Jackson brushed off the query. He drank the soda distractedly. Glad at having the cup as an excuse to keep his hands busy.

“Did you prepare anything for today, hyung?” Bambam asked, turning his body sideways so that he faced Jackson. From the pocket of his hoodie, he took out a packet of chocolate pie with marshmallow fillings and ate the sweet cake with relish. He tapped Jackson’s shoulder a few times when his question went unanswered. “Hyung!” whined Bambam.

“What is it?” Jackson pulled his sight away from the door with visible effort. “Did you say something, Bambam?”

“Do you want some?” Bambam offered the half-eaten cake. At the negative shake of Jackson’s head, Bambam continued, “I asked whether you prepared anything for today.”

“Oh. Nah. Nothing.” Jackson shrugged, once again his attention claimed by the door. Is she not coming?

Bambam looked at Jackson weirdly, finally realizing that his hyung is behaving uncharacteristically today. He refused food, then, he was quiet, which is a first. Jackson’s a talkative and a happy go lucky person by nature, that it seemed funny when a room is not filled with his chatter.

“Hyung are you okay? Are you not feeling well today?” Bambam asked concernedly. His eyes wandered over Jackson’s face. There was no sign of illness. Just then, a noticeable change came over Jackson. His lips widen into a grin, his cheeks flushed slightly, his pupils dilated and were staring intently at…

Bambam turned his head to look at the subject that holds Jackson’s full attention. Ah… I see. Full comprehension entered Bambam’s mind. The lack of attention, the noticeable missing talkativeness. Leaning in closer to Jackson’s ear, he whispered conspiratorially in a sing-song voice; “Jimin and Jackson sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G…” then giggled when Jackson glared at him.

“I swear sometimes that Jr. is really a girl. He clearly doesn’t know how to keep a secret.” Hissed Jackson. Bambam shook his head, “It was Mark hyung.” He ratted out.

Jackson frowned at the revelation.  Since when Mark’s a gossiper? “I don’t care who told you about it, but keep it a secret.” He warned the younger boy.

Sheepishly, Bambam replied. “He told all of us when you were sleeping last night. So… your threat is kind of invalid now.” Sensing that Jackson would have hit him if he stayed, Bambam quickly got up to his feet and headed straight to the refreshment table, giggling all the way under his breath. That was the payback for eating all of my dried mangoes that mom sent.

Jackson merely shook his head. s would know sooner or later. So, why not now? It will save him the effort to keep the secret, anyway. He kept his eyes on Jimin, willing her to look at him. A couple of moments passed, when Jimin, as if hearing the silent plea of Jackson, did look at him and offer him a tentative smile. Damn, she’s cute. Jackson returned the smile widely, patting the floor beside him; in clear invitation of come sit here next to me. The girl looked unsure, looking around the room as if expecting people’s eyes on them. After what seemed like a lifetime to Jackson, Jimin finally walked quickly across the room, taking a seat between Yugyeom and JB. It was a coward move, she knew that, but she just couldn’t bring herself to be so…forward.

Jackson sighed inwardly, coward little . Inching over to where she was sitting, he leaned his shoulder against hers, feeling her body stiffened before she slowly relaxed. He could feel delicious warmth at the places where their bodies touched. Glancing over at her, he saw that she had her bottom lip between her teeth and her face was a little flushed. Good. It’s nice to know that he had similar effects on her too. Feeling satisfied at this discovery, Jackson turned his attention towards s; whom all had knowing looks and covert smiles on their faces. He shrugged.

“Jimin-ah, what year were you born in?” Mark asked; the question being considered among the important ones for Koreans.

“I was born in 1997. So, I’m 14 in Korean age.” She revealed, accepting the cup of soda offered by Bambam. “Thank you, Bambam.” Jimin smiled sweetly at the Thai boy.

Jackson scowled at Bambam from behind Jimin. Watch it, boy. He quickly claimed her attention. “So, you have to call me Oppa, then.” Jackson said, clearly pleased by this fact.

“JB, Mark, Jr. Youngjae, Nickhun, Taecyeon….etc etc…I have to call all of them oppa.” Jimin answered dryly, counting each of the names on her fingers.

“It looks like we have to apologize on his behalf, Jimin-ah. Sometimes our Jackson can be a little…jealous when he doesn’t get the attention he wants.” JB spoke for the first time, not looking apologetic at all. He winked teasingly at Jackson.

“I’m not-“ Jackson was quick to defend himself but was interrupted by somebody at the front of the room. The noise quieted down and everyone sat themselves on the floor. It was clear that the show was about to start any moment soon. Two girls in track pants and hoodies came to the front and started to perform when the music blared from the speakers.

Knowing that the two girls have claimed the attention of other’s, Jackson snuggled closer to Jimin and whispered. “I’ll have you know that I wasn’t being jealous just now.” He took the advantage to breathe in her scent deeply before pulling away and pretend an interest in the girls.

“Really? It seemed very much like one, to me.” She whispered back. The lights at the back of the room were dimmed; giving them the perfect opportunity to behave as such.

Burrowing his nose in her hair again, he replied, “It wasn’t. Because if I were, I wouldn’t just stop at that. I would…” he stopped his sentence deliberately. 1…2…3…4…5…

“You would wha-“ Jackson had kept his face angled there. So when she turned her face to the right, her lips met his.

With their lips meeting like that, not kissing, but not doing anything else either, Jackson spoke against her lips, “I’d continue with this.” Then he kissed her once, twice, before pulling away. In the dimness, she could see his that he was very pleased with himself.

“Smooth, Wang Jackson. Very smooth.” She taunted after she gathered herself. Her heart pounding heavily in her chest, she faced the front.

“I know.” he acknowledged simply while threading his fingers with hers.