Second Grade - Years Ago/ The Past

One More Song

Years Ago...

"Hey, let's go play outside!" Michelle felt herself being dragged out of the classroom by her best friend Yong Seung Min. They had been friends since they were only four years old. He was the only person she could trust. "I can't... you know my mom will get angry if I hurt myself again!" Michelle sighed deeply. "Trust me, you won't! Just come and play with me!" he begged, looking out the window. The sun casted a warm shower of sunlight over the playground. Everyone was outside enjoying the glorious rays of sunshine while it lasted. Puddles of water created silvery pools around the playground as children splashed playfully in them. Michelle envied them. "I'm sorry... I just can't. I will get hurt and my mom will be disappointed in me," she gently brushed away his hand and forced a smile, "you go have fun outside. I will watch you from the window instead." she looked outside at the glorious weather and sighed. Seung Min wasn't fooled by her fake smile. He could see the sorrow in her eyes. Putting his hands on her shoulders, he looked straight into her eyes. Startled and confused, Michelle stared back at him. "I promise you won't get hurt," he carefully said, "I'll protect you. I promise." he held out his pinky and linked it with Michelle's. Michelle couldn't help but to smile. "Okay. But you have to keep your promise!" and with that, Seung Min pulled her outside excitedly. It had been a while since she went to a playground. Her heart was beating so fast and she felt her feet pound against the shimmering grass. It felt good to be running around again. Suddenly... losing her balance, she was sent sliding across the wet grass. Her heart began racing but everything around her slowed down. Suddenly with a thump and a crack, a sharp pain ran up her leg. She let out a cry as she watched Seung Min turn around. His smile turned into shock. Tears welled up in his eyes as he began to run towards her. Michelle felt her own tears as she watched him. He looked hurt and that made her feel hurt too. With heavy eyelids,she watched Seung Min disappear into the darkness and all she could hear was his cries for help echoing into nothing.

2 days later...

"Seung Min!" Michelle waved excitedly at her best friend who was running towards her. "Michelle! You're okay!" he laughed, tears drowned his eyes as he hugged her tightly. "Ouch! Be careful Seung Min! My leg is still broken." He quickly let go of her, "Oh... sorry. I just missed you!" he said gently patting her leg cast. "Let me sign this for you." Seung Min quickly took out his pen and began scribbling away. Michelle laughed. It was the first time in a long time since she laughed. She was just happy to see him again. Just then, her mother appeared in the doorway. Michelle's mother was a beautiful lady who owned a boutique. Every mother envied her because of her doll-like appearance and poreclain skin. "Seung Min! You were meant to wait for me." she panted as she strolled in. "Oh, sorry Mrs Kwon. I got too excited." once again his smile disappeared and sorrow lowered his eyes to the ground. "What's the matter Seung Min?" Michelle watched him carefully. She could see something was wrong. "Are you going to tell her Seung Min?" her mother folded her arms and leaned against the window. "I-I'm really sorry Michelle." he gulped, daring not to look at Michelle in the eyes this time, "I don't want to be your friend anymore." Michelle could see that he was trying not to cry. She wanted to cry too. "No, you're just joking right? You know that can't happen," her heart sank. She tried to hold his hand but he pulled away. "I never wanted to be friends with you. I just pitied you because you have no friends." his voice was shaky now. Michelle let her tears fall as she watched him run out of the room. "From now on, you will not talk to him. He is moving away." Her mother got up from the window sill and embraced Michelle. "You see? I told you he was a bad infuence. I don't want you to talk to him anymore or you'll get hurt. I'm the only one who will stay by your side in the end. You can't trust anyone in this world because they will just leave you."