PenPals (OneShot)

PenPals

tumblr_inline_n1ml3vt3j51synrzd.gif

New Message! (1)

From: Me ([email protected])

To: Kyungsoo ([email protected])

Subject:

 Kyungie,  I'm on the plane right now, and they're about to make us turn off phones. I'll be there in Korea in 12 hours! I can't wait to finally meet you in person! Oh, and i should tell you,  I'll be wearing shades, I'll be so tired. ~.~  and i guess, bring some of our old hand written letters. So we can look at them later ^.^ I'll text you when we land :3   -Elsie

| REPLY |   | FLAG|

 

You sighed as you reread the message then closed your phone. You looked out the window and felt a flurry of nervous blutterflies invade your stomach. You two had met from a penpal program from high school, where they showed you both and array of students from around the world. You had chosen him for his passion in music and his english skills.

 

You two started out just sending handwritten mail. After a couple months you two shared emails and started messaging each other weekly. You both talked about anything and everything. About each others lives and pasts, hobbies and pet peeves. Once you two finally got smart phones, you two started emailing almost all the time. You two seemed to talk more comfortably than your friends from school. I guess it's the fact that since you weren't physically seeing him, you felt more open to talking about certain things.

 

Also, you've never heard his voice before. And he's never yours. You've suggested skyping to him hundreds of times, but he refused, saying his mom doesn't let him (yeah right he's just shy). He also told you he loved to sing and entered many competitions. He always messaged you when he won, and you were happy for him. What exactly does he sound like? This suspense was killing you. You two also sent each other selcas frequently to not forget how the other looked.

 

You sighed and looked around the plane a last time. You decided to sleep, this was going to be a long flight.

 

 

11:37am

 

 

You were awaken by the sudden jolt of the plane. You rubbed your eyes and looked out the window. The blaring mid day sunlight glared right in your eyes. You pulled the shade halfway and looked at the runway slowing down.  Wow, you thought. I'm actually here. 

 

You dug into your pocket for your phone and turned it on. You let your teeth hook into your bottom lip. By the time it , the plane had come to a halt. You quickly messaged him saying you landed, and that you'll meet him at the luggage carousel. The butterflies slowly made their way back. It's acually happening. You tried to calm your self as you grabbed your carry-on from the overhead bin.

 

You put on your shades, you had dark circles as you expected. As you were walking along the wide, cold hallways, you absorbed in the aura. This was different than American airports. It's calmer. You checked your phone while walking. You got an email from him saying, "I'm by the luggage thingy".

 

Your hands trembled. You put your phone in your pocket and calmed your self with a sigh. You approached the luggage pick-up. You were soon enough standing there, fratically looking around through the frantic crowd of people getting their bags. You bit your lip, your nerves and hightened senses driving you crazy. I'm never going to find him.

 

 

"Elsa?" 

 

 

You swiftly turned around to find a familiar face looking at you. You looked at them for a moment.

 

 

"Kyungsoo?"

 

 

You two stood there for a minute, in this deep realization. Looking at each other, you both shared this strange feeling of disbelief that you two actually existed.

 

You shared a nostalgic smile.

 

You both dropped everything you were holding and hugged each other tighter than a koala to a tree.

 

You both took in each others scent, felt the fabric of each others shirts, and felt each others warmth.

 

Nothing could describe how good that felt. It was too good to be true.

 

You both pulled apart when you realized the crowd had dispersed and your luggage was siting there.

 

You two smiled shyly at each and he quickly went and found your sticker-covered luggage.

 

"How'd you know?" You asked.

 

He smiled shyly and responded quietly, "I sent you these stickers 3 years ago." He grinned at the thought that you actually put them somewhere. His voice was a little deeper than you had expected, and he spoke english quite fluently with a soft accent. You smiled back at him with a hint of shyness. He led you outside to his car in the parking lot. He packed your things in the trunk and you both got in.

 

He started driving and you both had dozens of questions going through your head. Everytime you wen to say something, you were stopped by the lump in your throat. Whilst you were trying to figure out what to say to kill the awkwardness, he cleared his throat. You looked to him.

 

"I'm sorry this is awkward." He had his eyes on the road.

 

You looked to him and admired his profile.

 

"Why are you sorry?"

 

He glanced to you with a cute smile.

 

"I'm kinda just having a good time absorbing your presence."

 

You both had shy smiles and pink cheeks.

 

 

For a while, you two just sat there with irremovable smiles, trying to get over the fact of each others existence.

 

You two would glance at each other every once in a while, and you both giggled when you caught each other.

 

 

When studying abroad, the college gives you choices of where to live. Either a friend or family that lives nearby, or they provide you with an apartment. Kyungsoo had told you there was an apartment open in his building with some old furniture, so you decided on that.

 

You two arrived at the apartment building after about 10 minutes of awkward silence (which felt like an hour). You two got out of the car and got your bags. You both entered the pavillion doors and greeted the desk clerk. You were quite amazed at how fancy this apartment building was. 

 

In the elevator, "This feels like a hotel." You grinned.

 

He chuckled and responded, "And just think of me as room service," and bowed.

 

You giggled and nodded, cheeks pink.

 

 

He walked you to your room and opened it for you and then gave you the key.

 

You thanked him and walked in, looking around.

 

"This is a lot nicer than the pictures," you thought aloud.

 

He smiled and commented, "Pictures don't do justice." 

 

You just set your bags down on the bed and sighed. This feels so surreal.

 

 

"Do you want to unpack?" he asked.

 

"Uh, not right now, I'll deal with it later." You looked to him. "Let's go eat s-something?"

 

"O-Ok." You guys left the apartment walking an awkward distance from each other.

 

He walked with you to the nearest restaurant, and you both entered what seemed like a Korean bbq place.

 

"Two, please," he asked the host in Korean. His Korean was cute, and you were curious about his singing voice.

 

 

The host lead you two to a table and you both sat there for a couple minutes in silence.

 

You both couldn't understand why it was so awkward.

 

It felt like you were on a blind date with your cousin.

 

You swallowed the lump in your throat and spoke your thoughts.

 

"We're probably awkward because we've talked about everything already.." you said nervously. 

 

He looked up at you. "Elsa."

 

It rolled off his tongue as if he said it everyday. You looked back at him just getting flutters from hearing his deep voice call your name with his cute accent.

 

He grinned and giggled and looked down. You raised a questioning eye brow at him.

 

"I'm sorry, it's just feels good to actually say your name instead of typing it." You grinned.

 

"It's nicer to hear my name rather than read it." He smiled.

 

You couldn't wipe off your smile. "And uh.."

 

He was lighting the fire in the bbq table. "Hmm?"

 

You rested your chin in your hand and watched as he lit it. "Kyungie."

 

All the blood rose to his cheeks and he had stunned eyes. He tried to cover it with with being busy.

 

You giggled adoring him. He's just too adorable.

 

Trying to get of his shyness, he quickly brings something else up. 

 

 

"O-Oh, do you have your letters?" You think for a moment.

 

"Oh, yeah, uh, wanna look at some?" He nodded with a smile.

 

He pulled his backpack onto his lap. You were busy geting your own out, but when he opened the backpack, you couldn't help but look. 

 

He had at least 10 pounds of letters in there. 

 

 

Your eyebrow went straight up.

 

"D-did I really send you that many?"

 

"N-No," he quickly covered. "I was in a rush and kinda just grabbed everything in my desk."

 

"Okay.."

 

The woman came and put all the meat of the grill, the smell making your stomach growl.

 

 

While the meat was cooking, you started looking through old letters.

 

"This stuff is so cute, I seriously can't get over it!" He was giggling while reading some.

 

"Oh my god, I look so nerdy here," you commented on an old picture you had sent him years ago.

 

He looked over, "Can I see?" You nodded and handed it to him.

 

He giggled, "This is so cute!" Some heat rises to your cheeks.

 

"Kyungie, do you wanna take a picture together? Just to refresh?" 

 

He nodded right away. You smiled and got up and sat on his side of the booth. You both suddenly went awkward. The close proximity just drove you two a little nervous.

 

You both had the same thoughs. I know I just met you, but I think I like you.

 

 

You pulled out your phone and the front camera. He then put his arm around your waist which startled you.

 

His cheeks pink, he asked, "I-Is this okay?"

 

You quickly nodded blushing, putting your phone up. You looked to find him with a huge grin, winking with a peace sign. You giggle and do the same and quickly snap the pic. You both giggle and look at the picture. 

 

"Let's take another!" He laughed.

 

"Ok!" He pulled you closer and held you tighter. "A normal one?" You nodded and just smiled.

 

 

After about 5 minutes of taking selfies, the food was ready. You stayed next to him and you two just about scarfed it down.

 

 

You both sat there bellies full and smiling.

 

"That was awesome, thank you for bringing me here." 

 

"No problem, you deserved it." You smiled. "Want to go to a nearby park? And just talk?"

 

You smiled and nodded. He stood and gathered all of his letters. You helped him put them away. You both left the restaurant with happy tummies. While walking, the host from the restaurant quickly ran over and handed you a letter he had forgotten. You thanked her and put it in your back pocket.

 

 

You both walked around the park, it was starting to get a little darker. The sky had an orange lavender glow that could soothe anyone.  You sighed and absorbed the smell of the beginning of fall.  

 

He sat on a bench and you sat on the othe end, not wanting it to be awkward. You were bestfriends for years, but this awkward factor and these butterflies refused to leave. 

 

"Are you okay?" You looked to him and nodded.

 

"Just jet lag.  I'm also feeling bad about this." You scratched behind you neck.

 

"About what?" He gave you an adorable questioning look.

 

"This being so awkward still, and that I'm not talking to much..." He pouted and motioned you to come closer. "H-Huh?" You scooted closer.

 

He motioned for you to come even closer, with a cuter face. You gulped and moved even closer. He looked to you and smiled.

 

"It's okay to feel this way. I can't even think of what to talk about. I mean.. unless you wanna talk about the existence of mankind because I think we've talked about absolutely everything." You smiled and nodded in agreement.

 

"I guess your right." You shifted and felt something crinkle under you. "Oh right, the letter!" He looked to you.

 

"Hmm?" You reached in your back pocket and pulled out the letter that he had forgotten in the restaurant. 

 

"Did I leave that there?" You nodded and looked at this one quick. Something caught your eye. You looked at it more and saw on the envelope it had stamped in red ink [RETURN TO SENDER]. You look to him with a questioning gaze. His eyes soon were showered with nervousness and his cheeks pink.

"U-uh.." he quickly snatched it from your hand and held it tightly. "Nothing." He kept his gaze straight foward. "I-It's an old letter that never sent,  but i-it's not important." You raised a brow at him.

"Seriously? You're totally hiding something." He gulped and shook his head, and sat on the letter. Your brow only raised higher.

 

"I will  reach for it." He gulped again. He scratched his hair fussily and looked down playing with his fingers nevously. He sighed, and after a couple seconds, he stood up, signaling for you to take it. You took it and sighed.

 

"What's the big deal?" You ripped the envelope open, and slid the paper out. You glanced to him and he was leaning on a tree with his head down fiddling with his hands. You felt bad now for forcing to read it. You sighed and looked down at the letter.

 

Dear Elsie, 

                        I know this is sudden, but i wanted to ask you something. I realized out of all the things we ever talked about, we never talked about that certain subject, you know the thing we both never experienced  relationships. I know this subject never came to question but it's been on my mind for a while.. and I can't get it out.  Not about one, but a type of relationship. Do you believe in long-distance dating? Usually it means within 500 miles but the one I'm talking about is over 6000 miles. And, the guy really likes the girl, but he's not sure what she would think about it.  Even though he's never met her, he's trying to save money so he could visit or live somewhat near her. What do you think of that? Oh, and he also has no idea if she likes him back.

 

                        He's quite scared actually. He's afraid that if he tells her this, she'll tell him to back off and never speak to him again. But then again, she's really sweet and probably wouldn't do that. He can't stop thinking about the fact that he may instantly fall in love with her when he finally meets her, but he's afraid, of something I'm not sure about, and it won't leave his mind. He's really in need of help, and I'd like your feedback. Oh, and his name is Kyungsoo. He has really low self-esteem and I think you'd like him.

Kyungie                                          

 

Your fingers grip had made like wrinkles on the thin paper.

 

Your empty mind swiftly filled with the thoughts of the phrases you had just read.

 

The heat quickly made it's way to your cheeks and nose. 

 

You stood up and folded the paper with difficulty from nervous hands.

 

The fluttery feeling invaded your stomach as you put it in your pocket. 

 

You walked up to him, who was still flustered against the tree.

 

"W-When did you write this?", you asked quietly with a shaky voice.

 

He swallowed the lump in his throat and responded barely audible, "8 months ago."

 

You nodded. You felt like you couldn't breathe. "D-Does he still like her?"

 

"Yes." He answered with a little more confidence. His head was now up, looking at you. You looked back at him, cheeks red, and your teeth hooked in your lip. "W-What do you think?" His gaze was trying to be confident but ended up being worried.

 

You gulped and looked ahead. You knew your answer. You were just too afaid to say it aloud.

 

You took a deep breath, and slowly nodded. "W-Well, I-I'm pretty sure she likes him too." Why am I being so cliche? He pushed himself off the tree, his cheeks pink.

 

A strange fluttery feeling filled the space between you two. You had red cheeks and shaky hands. "W-Well.." he stuttered.

 

He stepped closer and took one of your shaky hands into his own. He looked down at them, and smiled shyly, and stoked the back of your hand with his thumb in an adoring manner. "I still find it to be long distance in a way.." You looked at him nervous and confused.

 

"W-Why?" you nevously stuttered. He smiled and looked back up, getting caught in your eyes. He had a charming glow, which made your butterflies multiply in feeling. 

 

 

 

He came close and whispered a couple inches from your lips, "Our lips aren't touching yet." All the blood had risen to your cheeks, your hands still shaking. He gave his sweetest smile and held your hand tighter. This suspense was driving you crazy. With his soft hands, he slid them behind your neck and slowly, softly pressed his lips against yours. This amazing feeling was so different than you expected.

 

Relishing in the feeling of his soft lips, your shaking hands calmed and intertwined your fingers with his, closing your eyes. Feeling you accept his embrace, he put his hand in your hair, pulling you into the kiss harder, just pouring his passion into you. You were melting in his arms, feeling so perfect and different, this emotion never felt before.

 

You took advantage of the moment and put your other arm around his waist, stealing his cute warmth. He couldn't get over how good it felt.

 

 

"Now that's true love!" You both pulled back right away and looked to the voice of the yell. It was an ahjuma sitting on the bench with an ahjusshi which what seemed like her husband. Arms still wrapped around each other, the heat rushed to your cheeks. The ahjuma looked to her husband and smacked his arm. "Why don't you kiss me like that??"

 

You and Kyungsoo looked to each and let out a shy laugh. He took his hand and brought it to your cheek, it once, his cheeks in pain from smiling. You blushed harder, if it was even possible. He giggled to himself. You pouted.

 

"What's with all this confidence?" He grinned with his heart-shaped lips and shrugged, resting his forehead against yours, nose tickling yours. 

 

"I level'd up," he whispered with an adorable fricken smile. You giggled and those damn butterflies kicked in again. You quickly threw your arms around his neck, pulled him closed and smashed your lips against his once more. He was shocked at first, but then calmed and wrapped his arms around your waist. You smiled into the kiss, and so did he. Happiness invaded your body slowly, then all at once.

 

 

I think I love you.

 

 

 

 

 

__________________________

 

A/N: Thanks for reading! Please tell me what you think in the comments ^^ I'm going to be posting a continuation in a couple days, and I'll post the link here when it's done! Or just subscribe to me and love me ~~~ Ok hehe thank you! :3