CHAPTER 1

Basketball Shorts

mesh

 
 
 

Zitao's never seen the appeal of watching team sports, not when the audience is a good twenty feet away from the court or field, and all that running and kicking and jumping just for one circular shaped object. But most importantly, there was the added on difficulty to gauge a player's attractiveness when they all looked like a colony of ants, of course until the camera panned onto their face and the billboards displayed them - sweat, heavy panting and all. And yet, Zitao bemoaned, half of the players they ever did do close ups on were either unattractive or just not his type - unattractive.

Playing sports was a different matter though, Zitao loved participating in casual sports. He never went competitive though, much to his highschool sport teacher’s disappointment. Mainly because he had wushu which required copious amounts of time and so any other form of activity was beyond his capabilities. But, also because the majority of sports were team sports and Zitao, although good natured and sweet, could never rely on another person’s skills and trust them enough for say, scoring a goal in the most crucial last five minutes. No, team sports also brought out the worst in some people, he much rather preferred individual sports.

And so it just happened to be his misfortune that his best friend, Luhan - an avid sport spectator fanatic brought it upon himself to drag Zitao every other weekend out to some form of ball match that seemed to vary from international scale football to the local highschool basketball match. Not that Zitao complained much, the eyecandy although squint-worthy and questionable were still better than studying.

And this Saturday was like any other weekend, Luhan-hauling-the-poor-Zitao-to-a-match-day.

"Where are we going this time Luhan,” Zitao groaned as he busied himself with his phone.

“You’ll know when we get there,” Luhan smiled serenely, immediately Zitao became suspicious, “and stop playing that Kim Kardashian game.”

“I was not!” Zitao replied back a bit too fast and defensive, before wincing from his mistake.

Luhan clicked his tongue.

“I’m in an 8hour event ok, I have half an hour left, the most crucial time to get stars.” Luhan rolled his eyes which Zitao pretended he didn’t see, “anyway why can’t you tell me, I’d like to know what I’m paying to watch thank you.”

“We’re not paying, just be patient ok,” before linking arms with Zitao and swiping his phone away. Zitao groaned.

                                                                               ___

“This?”

“Yep,” Luhan smiled smugly, like he had just discovered how the universe came to be and why puppies were mother nature’s special secret.

“I don’t understand.”

Luhan mockingly rubbed his temples in exasperation, “look ok, you always complain about not being near enough to seeing any guys up close and personal in games, so, me being the great older brother-”

“by four months.”

“Me, being the great older brother decided why not take you, my little brother,” Luhan proceeded to coo, Zitao pretended to puke, “to see street basketball! Boys, boys, boys galore who are just a couple of meters away.”

The younger was about to retort back about how much of a stupid idea that was before being flicked slightly on the arm by Luhan and he turned around gulping, dear jesus christ were all men who played street bball this hot.

“He’s a six” Zitao said before he could stop himself.

Luhan smiled victoriously, “totally a six.”

“That one with the grey singlet, a seven.”

The elder scoffed, “no way, five and a half tops.”

Zitao shrugged, “that’s a bit harsh…”

“No, I like my men like that,” Luhan replied indignantly.

“uh ok,” before Zitao’s eyes fell upon a blond haired guy, at least 185cm tall, “wow, now that’s a ten.”

Luhan, who was busy salivating at a shorter player with the numbers 99 on his jersey slowly turned to look at Zitao, “gross dude, I didn’t know you were into that and I’m pretty sure he’s seven inches max.”

“Wait,” Zitao looked at the older boy confused, “I thought we were rating them on hotness?”

“I thought we were rating them on size?”

Zitao looked incredulously at his friend, “why would we be rating them on size?”

“Zitao...why wouldn’t we be?” Luhan questioned, “it’s all I can see, look bball shorts are God’s gift.”

Zitao raised his eyebrow questionably but still taking the others advice started looking away from the player’s faces til his eyes came in lock downwards.

Luhan whispered, “If you train your eyes you can see their religion.”

Zitao coughed out a struggled laugh, but Luhan was right. If he conditioned himself enough suddenly all he could see were greeting him in slow motion. But, Zitao was a hundred percent not focusing on tall, hot blond’s or anything, Luhan was right though, seven max.

He’s had his fair share of casual flings and serious boyfriends, but in his defense it’s been four months already and he really didn’t know he was this deprived.

Zitao was so busy studying that he didn’t notice Tall Blond Boy Seven Inches Max was right in front of him, with the only thing blocking them, the sports gates.

“Uh hi...do you guys wanna join or something?”

Zitao gulped we're caught, but before he could answer Luhan smiled, “no it’s ok we’re just watching.”

The guy shrugged, his ears tinged red. Oh….Zitao realised, oh….

“Well you know,” his gaze never leaving Zitao’s, “you can like come whenever you-”

“I wanna play.”

“Wait what."
“Oh great!”

came the replies of Luhan and Tall Blond Boy Seven Inches Max.

But before Zitao could say anything Luhan’s eyes dawned with revelation and suddenly grinned deviously, “yeah ok I’ll just watch then, not that that’s important or anything.”

Zitao rolled his eyes this time, “Lu you can too-”

“I’d much rather watch you hit it off with Mr Seven Inches, it’s been years maybe you’ll finally get some .” he whispered in Zitao’s ear, the latter felt his cheeks colour up.

“ you.” he hissed back under his breath before smiling apologetically at the tall, blond man.

“Oh um I’m Yifan, I think we go to the same highschool, I see you around.” Eyes still not leaving Zitao’s.

“Oh, oh god yeah, basketball prodigy, sports scholarship, Wu Yifan?”

Yifan bit his lips, visibly pleased that Zitao knew him.

Luhan rolled his eyes, “ok ok love birds, I have a -I mean match to watch, and you’re sorta blocking the view.”

Yifan’s ears tinged more at the mention of love birds but not before replying back, “his name’s Minseok."

“Huh?"

Yifan shrugged, “nothing.”
 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes:idek what this is D: i'm thinking of expanding on it as well but not sure if people are interested or not ;_; so for now i'll mark it as complete ;;. subscriptions (if i decide to continue), comments, thoughts etc are all appreciated! edit: i'm going to continue with the fic thank you to everyone who commented, subscribed or upvoted ;;