Chapter 5: It Pours

A Fool For You

“Noona...” the doe-eyed giant said as it tried to catch its breath, “I told you... it was going... to rain...” He then held out the umbrella he was holding and opened it. He went to her and just like that, they were both under the umbrella.

Just like that. We’re both under the same umbrella. One umbrella. Sora kept repeating to herself as she tried to sink in what just happened. Her heart was beating wildly she could feel it affecting her. Somehow the sound of their breathing drowned out the sound of raindrops hitting the pavement. And with Chanyeol facing her, she could see his chest panting up and down, catching his breath. She was literally facing his chest because he was a couple of feet taller than her. He was so close to her that she could smell him--or the fragrance of whatever perfume he was wearing. Whatever it was, he smelled good and manly that she absent-mindedly closed her eyes as she inhaled his fragrance. She opened her eyes to look at his chest again, her nose almost touching it when she almost lost her balance. His jacket was open and underneath it was his wet shirt, which was stuck to his skin and it showed the carving of his chest... his collarbone... his wet shirt... his wet shirt?

Sora suddenly stretched out her arm that was holding her purse and reached out for Chanyeol’s head as far as she could. Chanyeol was a bit confused of what was happening. WHAM!

“You idiot! Who told you to run in the rain?” Sora scolded Chanyeol after she hit him on the head. She continued, “Look at you all soaked! You even had an umbrella with you! Why didn’t you use that? Idiot!” Chanyeol nursed the spot where he was just hit.  Sora’s voice was ringing in his ears.

What are you going to do when you get sick at a time like this? Foolish brat, making me giddy and then making me mad, Sora complained to herself. She couldn’t say that to Chanyeol. She got back to her senses until Chanyeol muttered something.

“What did you say?” Sora asked. She heard it right the first time he said, she just wanted to make sure she wasn’t hearing things.

“I said,” Chanyeol slowly, almost dramatically, took a handful of her hair into his palm, and said “wet look doesn’t suit you, noona.” He continued, “You should never go on swimming dates. If you're planning to go to the beach, don’t go in the water. Trust me.” Sora took that chance to hit him again.

“Ouch! That really hurts! Do you have something illegal in that purse? I think I felt a gun in there!” Chanyeol complained. Sora looked him in the eye and Chanyeol didn’t hesitate to look back. They glared at each other in silence while the rain went pit-a-pat around them.

Suddenly, as if on cue, a car whirred by and caused splashes of rainwater puddles, which hit them and took them by surprise. Chanyeol and Sora were flailing their arms. Dumbfounded and frozen, they silently looked at each other for a few seconds and Chanyeol suddenly started to laugh that Sora couldn’t help but laugh along. Right there in the heart of the city, two idiots who had an umbrella were laughing their hearts out while getting soaked in the rain.

“That was ridiculous!” Chanyeol coughed up, “You were so mad about me getting drenched and now you’re just as soaked!”

“I know,” Sora said, “The gods of karma strike again!” They continued to laugh until they were too tired and too wet to go on.

“We should get going,” Chanyeol finally suggested. Sora nodded in agreement. “I don’t think we need this anymore,” said Chanyeol, pointing out the open umbrella he was holding.

“No, no. Let’s use it. Someone might see us walking in the rain and think we’re crazy,” Sora discerned. When Chanyeol pulled back the umbrella over their heads, she realized that her idea was worse than his.

They were once again silently walking side by side, only this time there were soaked to the skin thanks to the rain.  None of them made an effort to strike a conversation on the way to the train station. They were too busy trying to keep themselves warm as the cold from the dampness of the rain seeped through their clothes and to their skin. Sora however kept replaying in her mind what Chanyeol said after she whacked him on the head. Just the thought of it made her heart flutter.

Once they’ve reached the train station, Chanyeol and Sora decided it was a probably a good time to take a rest so they settled down on a nearby bench as they seek shelter from the rain. They couldn’t just get on a train soaking wet and burden the rest of the passengers. They sat in silence. Unlike Chanyeol, Sora looked like she was fazed. And though she was trying hard to conceal the fact that she was shivering from the cold, Chanyeol could easily tell with her lips turning blue.

Chanyeol looked outside and said, “The rain isn’t going away anytime soon. I think we have to call my manager to pick us up.”

“O... Okay,” Sora didn’t mean to stammer; she was too cold she couldn’t manage a steady response. However, she did manage to put out an okay sign with her hand. Chanyeol stood up as he took out his phone from his pocket, “I’ll be right back, noona. Just wait here,” he said. Sora just nodded and Chanyeol walked away while the sounds of digital dialling echoed in the train station.

It has only been a few minutes since Chanyeol left but to Sora it felt like hours. With her eyes closed, she cupped her hands together and blew in it, attempting to ease herself from the cold even for a few seconds. While she was going at this credulous effort, Chanyeol had returned and chucked a warm beverage into her hands. She gratefully took it.

Oh, that feels really good, she thought to herself as the warm beverage tried to relieve her from coldness. Before she could say thank you, Chanyeol crouched before Sora and unexpectedly wrapped his hands around her little hands. Chanyeol uttered a tsk when he felt how cold Sora’s hands were. Sora was too shocked; she could only stare at Chanyeol as he warmed her hands. When Chanyeol did look her way, she quickly shied away from his gaze and laid her eyes on Chanyeol’s hands.

“You don’t have to do this,” Sora finally muttered. Chanyeol looked at her again and said, “You’re literally shaking from the cold. I wouldn’t want someone dying on me because of little rain,” Chanyeol replied. “And well, I want to,” he murmured, audible enough for her to understand.

“Aren’t you cold?” Sora asked, trying to lift the awkwardness by maintaining a conversation.

“I am,” Chanyeol answered coolly.

“I’m running out things to say. I don’t know what to say in situations like this,” Sora admitted as she gazed over Chanyeol’s face.

“You should keep quiet, then,” Chanyeol replied and ended the conversation.

Nobody knew how much time has passed. The rain somehow had already stopped when a white van pulled over at the entrance of the train station. A man cladded in rainwear hurried over to where Sora and Chanyeol was. He caught them with their hands clasped together and he gave Chanyeol a puzzled look.

“It’s not what you think, hyung,” Chanyeol said reassuringly. The man, who appeared to be Chanyeol’s manager, accepted the explanation without saying anything and gestured at Chanyeol and Sora to head to the entrance. When they got to where the van was, the two noticed a taxi parked behind the van.

“Chanyeol, your friend has to take the cab. We can’t take any chances,” his manager explained and he turned to Sora, “I’m really sorry but I hope you understand.”

Chanyeol looked torn so Sora spoke up, “it’s alright. I’m perfectly fine, I can take the cab.” The manager did not hesitate to show his relief when she said that. “The cab has already been paid for so you just have to tell the driver your address, miss,” the manager explained. Sora nodded as she headed towards the cab. Chanyeol followed her but his manager stopped him in his tracks and told him to get in the van immediately. Chanyeol knew he was in no position to disobey he manager and closed the door behind him when he got in the van.

Before Sora reached the cab, Chanyeol’s van slowly steered away from the train station. She watched until the white van was out of sight.

The cab driver blaring the horn brought Sora back to her senses. She told the driver her exact address and fought off the reoccurring temptations to sleep during the trip. When she got home, she quickly stripped off her wet clothes, left it on the floor, and headed straight to bed.

My hair’s wet. I’m gonna wake up with a headache. But she was too exhausted to give a damn. Before she dozed off, she thought again of those sweet words Chanyeol said when he came running to her, soaking in the rain, and suddenly hitting him. She slept with a smile on her face.