Kai, King of the Moths

The Moth King

It was just another normal day for the squishy boy, Do Kyungsoo. A high school student who sometimes goes by the name, D.O. He's just your average teenager with looks that are ever so slightly above average. Friends? He's got some. Grades? He's got them. But what he doesn't have, a lover. Something he decided he'd get before he graduated high school, but sadly he's in his final year and it doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon.

 

His younger best friend, Kim Jongin, on the other hand is something else. He has the grades, the looks, the friends, and the girlfriend. Pretty much everything poor Kyungsoo wanted. Although he hated the fact that someone younger than him found someone so easily, he also hated the fact that Jongin loved someone other than himself. Yes, Do Kyungsoo, is in fact, in love with his best friend. 

 

Everyday, Jongin would bring his girlfriend over to hang out with them at lunch. Although Kyungsoo, wanted to punch that pretty little face of her's everytime she passed by him in the halls, he couldn't. Not only was she Jongin's girlfriend, but his little sister, Do Sookyung, who was blessed with the better looking side of the family.

 

The day went by, and he quickly walked over to the gate.

 

Everyday, after school, he'd wait for Jongin at the gate to walk home together, enjoying his time with his best friend before that devil of a sister joined. Oh, how he missed the good ol' days when it was just him and Jongin, playing games at the arcade or just hanging out and talking.

 

Before Kyungsoo could reminisce over the good times he had with Jongin, his phone began to ring. He pulled it out of his pocket and after he saw it was Jongin, he took a deep breath and answered.

 

"Hey, what's up?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

"Hey, um.." Some giggling could be heard in the background, and Kyungsoo knew immediately what was going on. "I'm sorry, Hyung. Um.. I can't walk home with you, I'm uh.. going on a date with Sookyung."

 

"Oh.." I knew it.. Kyungsoo thought to himself,"It's alright. I'll just walk home alone then."

 

"Are you sure?"

 

Kyungsoo lied,"Yeah.. I'll be fine, haha." He gave the best fake laugh that he could.

 

" 'Kay then, I'll be going now. Bye." And that was it. Jongin had hung up and Kyungsoo had felt beaten. 

 

He couldn't help but feel that way. Not that he'd have to walk a million miles alone, because his house wasn't too far, but because he felt that him and Jongin weren't as close to each other as they used to be. It felt like all his time was spent on his sister.  To be fair, his sister was a nice person and she's very loving, so Kyungsoo's happy that Jongin didn't end up with a stuck up .

 

Though he couldn't stop the feeling of jealousy towards his sister. The only person that understood and connected with Kyungsoo, was now pretty much gone. 

 

Maybe he didn't even want to be my friend in the first place... Maybe he just wanted to win me over so he could get with my sister. The thought crossed Kyungsoo's mind and tears began to form. His vision became blurry, but soon cleared as he blinked his tears away.

 

No.. now's not the time to be thinking about this. Let's just go home.. he told himself in his mind. 

 

He began his walk home and tried his best not to think of Jongin, but he couldn't. Everything he saw, he was reminded of Jongin, everything he thought of, he was reminded of Jongin, everything he loved, he was reminded of Jongin.

 

He just couldn't get his mind off of him. Nothing but-

 

"AGHH!!!" He screamed aloud. Fortunately, no-one was around as he angrily thrashed his arms in the air. A moth had come near him and he tried his best to run away from it, but it kept chasing him as if it wanted Kyungsoo to touch it. His childhood trauma kept replaying in his head as it chased him.

 

"Get away from me, you freak of nature!!" Kyungsoo yelled as he ran, his heart almost jumping out of his chest. He could feel the terror slowly drawing nearer and nearer. He kept looking back, hoping that he had out ran it, but it looked like it was getting closer.

 

The accursed bug didn't seem to go away and it quickly flew in front of him. "NO!!" Kyungsoo screamed. He dropped to the ground and threw his arms around his head to protect himself, hoping if he stayed still maybe the thing would fly away.

 

Kyungsoo had felt something land on his hand, but didn't want to believe it.

 

He slowly and shakily lowered his hand to see if what he thought was real. As his eyes met with his hand, he saw the moth on it, fluttering its wings. 

 

The moment it registered in his brain, he out. His body fell onto the ground and he lay there, not moving an inch.  

 

It felt as if hours had passed before he regained conciousness, though his head was still hazy.

 

"Hey..." A voice called out, barely audible, almost muffled. "Hey..." It called out again, slightly more understandable this time. "Hey!" The voice was much clearer and Kyungsoo's eyes fluttered open. He saw a man's bare leg in front of him.

 

"Hey, are you okay?" The man asked. slightly shaking the other.

 

Kyungsoo looked up at the man and noticed that he was completely . His eyes widened as he recognized the face.

 

"Jongin?" Kyungsoo asked, confused as he slowly sat up on the ground.

 

"No, I'm Kai, King of the Moths." Kai stood up proudly as Kyungsoo saw everything.

 

---

 

A/n: Sorry for taking so long to update :( Hope you enjoyed the first chapter :)