thunder and lightning

thunder and lightning

Sulli wakes up to a loud booming sound of thunder one night. She doesn’t know when it happened, but she’s always been afraid of thunderstorms. It’s no surprise really because she’s afraid of a lot of things - roller coasters, birds, water.

 

She lies still for a while, trying to wait out the storm, but her efforts are to no avail as the thunder grows louder and lightning begins to flicker through her windows. She’s shaking now, pulling a thin blanket over her head, but it does little to block out the pandemonium outside. She sighs softly and gathers her courage to get out of bed. She tiptoes quietly out of her own room and sneaks into the room across the hall.

 

“Unnie,” she whispers, gently nudging one of Victoria’s shoulders. “Unnie wake up.”

 

“Hm?” Victoria mumbles, not even opening her eyes.

 

“I’m scared.”

 

“It’s just a storm, go back to sleep,” Victoria grunts. The usually caring mother figure, only half awake, turns away from her irritably.

 

Sulli exhales and exits the room dejectedly. She considers bothering Luna, but only briefly as she recalls the older girl’s poor sleeping habits. Amber’s spending the night at a friend’s so she turns to the only person left. She strides carefully up to Krystal’s door and pauses. In any other situation, she’d go to Krystal first, but waking her up is a daunting task. She draws a deep breath and takes the plunge.

 

“Soojung?” she whispers as she peeks into the girl’s room.

 

“Mm…” Krystal grumbles.

 

“Are you awake?”

 

“No.”

 

She thinks this is as close to an invitation as she’s going to get so she slips inside and closes the door softly behind her. She keeps walking until she’s standing right next to Krystal’s bed.

 

“Soojung it’s raining,” she says.

 

“Mhm,” the other girl agrees.

 

“There’s thunder too.”

 

“Mhm,” she responds, a bit louder this time.

 

“And lightning.”

 

Krystal sighs.

 

“Soojung it’s loud.”

 

“Oh, shut up,” Krystal groans as she rolls over and throws up a corner of the blanket.

 

Sulli crawls in gently and curls up on her side when a loud roar of thunder crashes through the room. She squeaks and suddenly clutches on to the back of Krystal’s shirt. Krystal, now slightly more awake, turns over.

 

“You’re such a baby” she mumbles and pulls the other girl into her arms. Sulli blushes but welcomes the warm embrace.

 

***

 

The next morning Krystal wakes up noting a strange weight on her right arm. She opens her eyes slowly then widens them at the sight of Sulli’s face so close to her own. She shrieks and forcefully pushes Sulli off the bed - she lands with a thump.

 

“Ow,” Sulli whines. “What was that for?”

 

“When did you get here?” Krystal asks, sitting up, genuinely confused.

 

Sulli thinks for a moment then grins mischievously. “You mean you don’t remember?” she whimpers as she juts out her bottom lip. She looks like she’s about to cry.

 

Krystal is visibly taken aback. “Hey hey, I’m sorry. Don’t cry. But really what happened?”

 

Sulli stands up and bends over until she’s level with Krystal. “Why don’t you figure it out,” she whispers, lips brushing against Krystal’s ear.

 

The younger girl goes red as Sulli pulls back, smirking, and skips out of the room.

 

“H-hey! Get back here!”