The Thing I Met That Winter (one shot)

The Thing I Met That Winter

Jane stared at her hot cup of Americano as she drowsily stirred it, making rings of various shades of brown. Her other hand was on her face. She seemed to be reminded of something...or someone.

It was cold; a cold, cold winter night. Yuri came in with her cup of Mocha. "Jane, here's your blanket. Tuck the bed fast, its really cold.....Yah, Jane! are you listening?"

" Uh? oh.. sorry..I was.." Her hand dropped from her face and she banged herself on the table desk. Yuri found her yet again being reminded of something....something from her past.

"What is it again? Is it that wicked aunt of yours?" When Jane found out about what had happened to her parents and how her aunt and uncle tried to sell her off~ well it was total chaos. It was obvious she had to leave them, and she's with Yuri now, with her best friend.

" No, it's something else" She stood up holding her Americano and walked to the window. There lied a dark, foggy,cold night.

"I was reminded of him. I don't even know if he was really a human, but he was nice...it was just like ...tonight, the same dark, cold and foggy night."

Yuri had no idea what she was talking about. She was all to herself; talking to herself. "What are you..." She was interrupted.

" I remember every single thing so vividly, even today. I can't deny it! It was not a dream. That thing ...I met that winter night."

FLASHBACK (5 years back)~

 

~I can't believe it....how can they?...Mum ..Dad..you must have suffered a lot..

It was a cold, foggy, dark night. A girl was sitting in the park swing, all alone. No one was around. Jane could not bear the truth. She was only 14 then. The breeze blew, as cold as thin ice. But she could not feel it, or anything else. The scar in her heart was painful enough to feel any other pain.

Then suddenly, a figure seemed to appear from within the dark. Jane was scared. She could feel her skin tingling with fear. But then again she thought she was imagining things. She would never mind if she got kidnapped..or even..Killed. She was ready for it.

The figure seemed to come closer. Her eyes were wet from her tears and she struggled to picture out the figure. It was a guy; a tall and handsome guy. He didn't seem to be dangerous at all. He knell down and went on his knees.

"What's wrong pretty girl? Why are you crying?" He held her cold hands. She at once felt her body temperature rising from his heat. He was warm ...very warm.

~ What.. what the... How come he's this warm. he's not even wearing winter outfits. ...Who IS he?

He wasn't suppose to wear what he was wearing on such a cold winter night.He only wore a strange looking jacket and silvery-gray trousers. It was simply wierd. It seemed like he came down from a spaceship or something.

Jane simply sat there, looking down on the ground, trying to control the hiccups that usually follows after hours of crying. He placed his hands on her face.

" Such a pretty girl! Are you crying because you're that pretty?"

He tried to joke. But it didn't work. In fact it made her wanna cry even more.

" Oh! don't cry ...please I was only kiddin..Do you want a hug?"

She looked at him, puzzled.

~What is he to me? Why is he trying to comfort me?

She had no other option and he was the only one on whom she could rely on. Moreover, she was all shattered. They were on the ground. It was cold, but he hugged her tight, so tight that she was not even sure if it was still winter because he made her so warm. She tried hard to control her tears and hiccups. Struggling to speak, she finally said," My parents...they were killed..by my..aunt and..uncle...And they hid it from me..."

She couldn't speak further. she had made his jacket all wet with her tears. It wasn't made of leather, so it soaked wet. By this time, he was running his fingers through her hair, feeling the silk-like feel while resting his chin on her head.

"So your parents were killed.Then why are YOU crying. It wasn't your fault, they died. what I mean to say is, just live for yourself now. That's what your parents would want too, right?"

He did not get a response. He was just so warm that she had fallen asleep. He tucked her even tighter.

"Jane! Eun Jane, wake up! what are you doing here? Why are you sleeping here?"

She finally woke up and she saw Yuri, looking at her in shock. She chanced to see where she was and saw herself in the park bench. Was she dreaming? But then again, from where did the warm blanket come?

"Yuri, where am I?"

"Oh! Jane, you poor baby. I heard what happened. Don't worry, everything will be OK. You're staying with me from now on."

END OF FLASHBACK~

"Yawn...you're talking nonsense, Jane.Just go to sleep."

Yuri was already half asleep.

Jane couldn't forget him...or the thing, even today.

~He wasn't human for sure..he was ...someone.. from the stars..

She could see the stars trying to peep through from within the foggy night. She winked at the one special star that was really close to her heart. And it seemed to wink back on her.