Tangled Emotions

Tangled Emotions - Sunggyu

A dark apartment welcomed you home at the end of the day, quietly closing the front door behind you, you proceeded to take off your shoes while turning on a few lights so you wouldn’t trip over anything. The strap from your purse slid down your arm while you set it on the ground next to your shoes. Curling and uncurling your toes, you closed your eyes for a moment while your shoulders rounded and you relaxed knowing that you were home for the night.

Opening your eyes slowly, you started to walk to your bedroom, wanting to change into something more comfortable and loose compared to your black pencil skirt and your light blue dress shirt. The hardwood under your foot turned to carpet and a soft sigh escaped your lips as you your bedroom light.

Pushing open the closet door a little, you closed it right behind you and changed into some larger pajamas of yours. They were loose and comfy and super soft, walking out of the little room that held all of your clothes, you walked over to your desk and your laptop as you walked over to your bed.

While your laptop and warmed up, you decided to grab some snacks so you wouldn’t have to get up to eat when you got hungry later. Scanning through your pantry, you found a few pretzels and chips that sounded good. Grabbing a bottle of water to wash it all down, you walked back to the bedroom before turning off the extra lights that you didn’t need anymore.

Climbing onto your bed, you pulled the pillows up against the headboard, creating a nice reclined seat for you to enjoy the night. Setting the laptop on your stomach, the warm heat started to warm your stomach as you just smiled and closed your eyes for a moment while your sore, tense muscles started to finally relax.

Opening your eyes, you moved the built in mouse a little to open up your web browser. Clicking on a few open tabs, you reached over and grabbed your headphones. Wanting to drown your horrible pains and mood swings with your favorite songs and maybe a movie or two, you turned off all of the lights besides the bedside lamp.

Plugging in your headphones, you clicked on a playlist and shuffled it. Leaning your head back you smiled while the beautiful songs started to clear your mind and make you feel slightly better. After a while, you opened your eyes and just played around on your computer, watching music videos, reading stories, just doing anything that you wanted.

Pulling open the bag of pretzels beside you, you slowly munched on them before you just started eating one after another. With song playing after song, your toes tapped the air to the beat before the opening of your bedroom door caught your eyes. Pulling one of your headphones out from your ear, you thought that he might could help relax you a little more.

Glancing up at the man standing in the doorway, he pulled his backpack off of his shoulders and slightly threw the bag against the bed. Your eyes widening at his sudden actions, you slid the headphones back in your ears. Shifting your eyes to look up at him occasionally, you saw his lips move, his hands making random gestures while he paced back and forth. Looking down at your screen you minded your own business, however you could barely hear him over the music that was still playing in your ears.

A few minutes later, you felt your headphones being pulled out of your ears, your eyes turned to the man and your eyes narrowed wondering what gave him the right to take out your headphones in the middle of your favorite song.

"Did you hear what I said?" Sunggyu, your boyfriend asked looking down at you, his eyes slightly narrowing.

"What?" You tried to put your headphones back in your ear before he pulled him out again.

"Did you hear what I said?" Sunggyu questioned you, his eyes darting from one of yours to the other.

"I couldn’t, my music was playing" You told him as you thought it was obvious that you were listening to music.

"Can’t you take out your headphones while I am trying to talk to you?" Sunggyu placed his hands on his hips, getting a little angry now.

"I am sorry, I didn’t know that you were trying to talk to me" You told him honestly, your eyes dropping down while you felt your emotions start to build within you.

"Well I was, you kept looking at me, you should have taken out your headphones" Sunggyu told you, tossing your headphones on your bed.

"I can’t read your mind! Why didn’t you just tap me on the shoulder and wait for me to finish my song before we talked?" You shot at him, sitting up a little taller in bed.

"I tried to get your attention but you didn’t see it" Sunggyu turned around on his toes to look at you.

"You could have tried harder" You retorted, looking up at him in the eyes.

"I’m sorry that I have to try my best for everyone, I am sorry that I can’t even come home and just be myself anymore. I am sorry that I have to try harder since myself isn’t good enough" Sunggyu started to shout and you felt pressure start to build in your chest.

Dropping your head, he knew that you wouldn’t say anything else, so he turned around and opened your door before he went out, slamming your door behind him.

Salty tears started to swell up in your eyes, grabbing your tangled headphones, you slipped them over your ears and your music again. The warm tears wouldn’t stop falling, hours your computer’s clock before you decided to call it a night and turned over in your bed. Shutting off your laptop, you plugged in your phone before you pulled your pillows down and laid under your covers.

Reaching up and pulling the string on your lamp, you embraced the darkness as your heavy eyes started to fall closed. Exhausted from work and from your body trying to maintain your body and your emotions, you fell fast asleep.

A few hours later, you woke up, horrible pains in your stomach kept you from finding a comfortable position. Sitting up slowly, you rubbed your stomach with your cool hand before you swung your legs over the side of the bed. Shuffling into the bathroom, you the lights, your eyes slammed closed due to the instant light.

Rummaging through your drawers you tried to find some pain medicine, but with the bottle already empty, you hung your head low, tapping your fingers against the counter top you remembered that you always kept an extra bottle in the kitchen.

Padding your way out to the kitchen, you saw Sunggyu laying on the couch, fast asleep. Flipping the light on under the vent hood, it gave you just enough light to find what you were looking for without waking up Sunggyu. Finding the medicine that you were looking for, you gulped down the pills with some cool water.

Waiting for the medicine to start working, you tip toed over to the couch. Seeing Sunggyu all curled up between the arm rests and a pillow under his head, you grabbed a nearby blanket and laid it over his tired form.

"Sorry, I didn’t mean to be so mean to you" You whispers, gently petting his hair, knowing that he wouldn’t wake from the gentle touch.

Leaning over the edge of the couch, you placed a gentle kiss on his cheek before you headed back to the bedroom to see if you couldn’t get a few more hours of sleep before your alarm woke you.

Days passed and Sunggyu didn’t return to your place, blaming it on the heavy work schedule, you didn’t take it to heart once your mood swings had returned to normal.

Arriving home at lunch you surprisingly found Sunggyu sitting on your couch. Tilting your head a little, you walked over to the counter and set your purse on the island before you began to walk over to Sunggyu.

"Hey~" You cooed, not wanting to come off like he wasn’t welcome here.

Making it all the way over to the couch, you didn’t hear a response from him, thinking that he was really into something or watching a video with his headphones in, you sat next to him and tapped his shoulder gently. However Sunggyu’s head didn’t even turn, not his usual response.

"Sunggyu, I didn’t think that you would be free to come over for lunch" You ran your fingers up and down his slightly toned arms, moving his arm away from you, he just sighed and continued reading his book.

"Maybe you want to be left alone to read" You retracted your hand from him, "I’ll let you finish, but did you want to put an order in for lunch?"

With silence as his response, you got up from your spot next to him. Heading into the kitchen, you pulled out his favorite lunch time snack and poured it into a bowl. Making you a quick sandwich you placed the bowl of his snacks next to him on a metal tray so it wouldn’t tip and spill.

Shuffling back into the kitchen, you sat at the two person table, your back facing Sunggyu while you tried to eat your lunch.

Noticing the bowl next to him, he cautiously turned around and saw your back facing him. Munching on some of the snacks a little smile came onto his face before he stood up and grabbed his backpack.

"I’ll leave first" He broke his silent treatment but the sound of the door closing cut your response. Slumping a little in your chair, you shook your head wondering how you could be that rude to him, even though you were in pain and you couldn’t control your emotions, you still shouldn’t have treated him that coldly.

Pulling out your phone, you dialed the first number of s that you saw.

"Hello?" Woohyun picked up the phone

"Hey Woohyun~" You smiled while your fingers played with the crust of your bread.

"What’s up, _______. I haven’t talked to you in a long time!" Woohyun chirped happily.

"Well I was hoping to ask you for a favor" You started to play with the napkin beside you now.

"Sure~" Woohyun sang, ready to listen to your favor.

"Can I come and get Sunggyu a little early from practice later today?" You bit your lip wishing that he would agree.

"Ah~ Well I would love to tell you yes, but we don’t have practice later today. The manager gave us the rest of the day off." Woohyun told you, your heart dropped to your stomach.

"Okay, thank you anyways" You hummed before you traded pleasantries and ended the call. 

Looking down at your phone, you tapped the darkened screen with your fingers, wondering what you could to do make it up to him. With the rest of the day free, you decided to head over to the studio after you made a little picnic for the two of you.

Driving to a few favorite places of Sunggyu’s you tried hard to find him, but with hours later you were running out of ideas. Betting your luck that he would be practicing at the studio, you entered the code for the back door as it unlocked and you walked through the abandoned halls. The occasional lights lit up the darkened hallway.

Straining your ears, you tried your best to hear him and his beautiful voice. A muffled singer was heard as you turned the corner, pressing your ear up to each door, you found the door that the singer was behind.

Recognizing his singing style, you knocked your knuckles against the wood of the door. Waiting a few minutes, he finally came over to the door and opened it.

"_-_______? What are you doing here?" Sunggyu stuttered, obviously not expecting you.

"Come with me" You wrapped your hand around his wrist, knowing how stubborn he can be sometimes. Pulling him from the practice room, you made your way back down to the back door.

Pushing open the door and heading into the cool air, you continued to pull him behind you.

"What are you doing?" Sunggyu tried to pull back but he continued to follow you.

"I want to show you something" You pushed back some branches of the trees before he finally laid eyes on your picnic under the stars.

"What is this for?" He turned you around so he could look into your eyes.

"It is my apology for the other day, about the headphones, I know I shouldn’t have snapped like that and I should have listened to you." Your eyes started to drop, "I know that you have been under a lot of pressure lately and I should be the one that you can be yourself around. I am sorry Sunggyu."

Letting your hand loosen around his wrist, you let both of your hands fall to your sides.

”_________ I am sorry that I ignored you today too. It hurt me so much to do that to you but I was starting to wonder if we would ever work out.” Sunggyu confessed quietly, his hand gently taking your hands in his. “But no matter how much I thought about it, I knew that I loved you and if you had a bad day with me then we should get through it together.”

In that instant, you knew that he already forgave you and you wrapped your arms around his torso, putting your head under his chin. His arms wrapped around you tightly and rubbed your back gently.

"I’m sorry" You whispers against the fabric of his shirt.

"I’m sorry too" He whispered back before kissing the crown of your head. "Now shall we enjoy this beautiful picnic under the stars that the woman I love put together just for me?"

Pulling away, you looked up at him with a smile before nodded. Taking your hands and guiding you over to the blanket, you started to reveal the food that you brought. Feeding each other and just talking under the stars was all that you two needed. With all of the things that needed to be said were addressed, the calm night wrapped around the two of you while both of you gazed up at the stars, both of you in each others arms while laying on the cool grass under the checkered blanket.