1/1

One Cup of Coffee

It was thirty minutes before the posted closing time of the coffee shop, but everyone had already cleared out. The rest of the employees had left shortly after, disappearing into the dark night after bidding Kyungsoo. The short boy was left to clean up by himself, but he didn't mind. Admist the stresses of being a college student and working a job at the local cafe Caffine Rush, Kyungsoo enjoyed his nights alone. 

Kyungsoo sang to himself as he wiped down the tables.

"Kyungsoo! I didn't know you worked here!"

The small boy practically jumped out of his skin. Turning around, he saw a tall teen, maybe his age, with unruly dark hair, eyes the color of dark chocolate, and wearing a throughly rumpled coat and ripped jeans. The stranger smiled and said, "It's Kim Jongin; I'm in your music theory class."

"O-oh," stammered Kyungsoo. He did recall a Kim Jongin from his music class; the boy who sat at the back of the class, always with a cap or hood on his head despite the school rules or "no headwear indoors." Jongin was always quiet; he never spoke unless he was spoken to, and in the midst of the loud classroom atmosphere, Kim Jongin might as well have been invisible. However, now that Kyungsoo was able to look at Jongin's face up close, the smaller boy realized that the other was very, very handsome. No, really, he was hot.

"Are you closed?" Jongin asked, looking around at the empty tables and the cleaning cart that Kyungsoo had next to him.

"N-no, we still have half an hour," Kyungsoo said. Why do I have to start stuttering now, of all times? "No one's coming in anymore, so we decided to clean up early, but if you want anything..."

Jongin smiled. Kyungsoo decided he liked the messy boy's smile. It was what teenage girls would call "cute."

"Could I have coffee?"

Kyungsoo frowned. "You want caffine so late at night?"

Jongin shrugged. "It's not like I plan to sleep soon or anything."

"Why not?"

"Well, life's not exactly smooth sailing for me right now," Jongin chuckled sadly. Kyungsoo couldn't help but glance at the other's dirty clothes. Oh, I see.

After Kyungsoo poured the other a cup of hot coffee, Jongin reached into his pocket and pulled out a tattered wallet. Before he could take out any bills, however, Kyungsoo stopped him and said, "Don't. It's on me."

Jongin looked up at the smaller boy with an expression of a five-year old opening his birthday gift. "Really?"

Kyungsoo could feel warmth flooding his cheeks. "Y-yeah, it's just a cup of coffee..." he said quietly, his voice a little more high-pitched than normal.

Jongin took a sip of the coffee. The smaller boy watched his adam's apple bob as Jongin swallowed. 

"Do you usually watch customers drink their beverages?"

Kyungsoo jumped, hitting his foot on the leg of the table he was cleaning as Jongin snickered. "N-no! I w-wasn't watching you! You're so mean..." Kyungsoo pouted, his face bright red. He went back to rubbing the table clean with a washcloth, scrubbing with vigor out of anger and embarrassment.

"I don't mind," Jongin added quickly. "I find you cute."

Kyungsoo jumped again, his face as hot as a griddle. "W-what?"

Jongin shrugged, taking another sip of coffee. "Don't you get that a lot?"

"Get what?"

"That you're cute. I mean, just look at you!" Jongin cried, practically swooning. Kyungsoo felt like dying.

Jongin finished his cup of coffee and set it down on the table next to him. "Thanks for the coffee, Kyungsoo. See you at class tomorrow!"

Just as the tall boy was able to exit the cafe, he felt a tug on his elbow. Turning around, he saw the other boy, hsi head bowed and hand gripping tightly onto his already-wrinkled jacket.

"C-come tomorrow..." Kyungsoo whispered, trembling slightly.

Jongin broke out into a brilliant smile that would have lit up the entire night sky. "Sure, Kyungie. You'd better have that coffee ready tomorrow!"