Best That You Can Do

Best That You Can Do
Please log in to read the full chapter

She never really understood the feeling of falling in love.

Perhaps, it wasn’t even love in the first place. Perhaps, the word ‘crush’ would be more appropriate. One-sided affection filled with longing and pain. The pain of never knowing whether her crush ever felt the same way. The world spun and spun and she still stood there in that same spot, waiting fruitlessly and drowning in her own feelings. If only someone could give her a slap and wake her up. However, the pain of a slap goes away in minutes. A bruise? It would be gone in a few days.

The pain of losing her first crush didn’t.

So when her second crush decided to confess to a girl, not just any girl but her friend, she decided to cross the line defining the borders between ‘friend’ and ‘enemy’.

I’m sorry, Yun Sarang.

~

Cooking had always been his forte.

Do Kyungsoo was good at cooking different types of dishes, and made cookies and cakes. Kyungsoo always called her and Suho his personal pair of ‘guinea pigs’ for helping him taste the food he cooked.

Today, he made cheesecake for her and Suho to try.

“How does it taste, Jinju? Is it too sweet or salty?” asked the doe-eyed boy worriedly.

“It’s good! It tastes just right!” grinned Jinju, and with one opinion cemented, Kyungsoo turned to look at Suho. Suho furrowed his eyebrows, still chewing slowly.

“How is it… Suho?” asked Jinju. Why was Suho taking so long to swallow? When he finally did, he placed the fork back on the plate, his lips pressed into a thin line. Kyungsoo held his breath, his features filled with worry.

“It’s…. delicious!” Suho finally chuckled, which caused Jinju to scowl and hit him playfully on the shoulder. “Suho! You made me doubt my own tastebuds!”

“Did you see that look on Kyungsoo’s face? It was worth it!” laughed Suho, pretending to be hurt and rubbed at his shoulder. Kyungsoo shook his head but beamed, pleased that he had made the cake just right.

“There you go bickering again like an old couple. Well, I’ve done my best, and I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow,” said Kyungsoo.

~

Suho never really understood her. Song Jinju was as cheerful as any girl can get, yet there were always something hidden beneath that bright smile. He wondered if he was the only one who felt it, or if he was just thinking too much.

“Jinju, have you told Sarang about tomorrow?” asked Suho.

“Yes, I have. I told her Kyungsoo will fetch her,” she nodded and turned to look at him with a smile. He stared intently at her, and he caught that different smile again. They say that the eyes are windows to the soul. He hoped he was wrong, because that smile couldn’t hide the sadness in her eyes.

~

 “What do you think, guys?” Kyungsoo grinned, holding the freshly made cake in front of his friends.

“It looks really good. So you’ve hidden the couple ring inside?” asked Suho.

“Of course I have. I’ve marked the position of the ring so I know which slice to cut out and give to her. What do you think, Jinju? Sarang will like it?” asked Kyungsoo.

“I’m sure she will. It’s literally a piece of cake for you to ask her to be your girlfriend now,” said Jinju with a smile, even though those words were akin to a knife stabbing her heart.

“Great! Thanks for your tip Jinju!”

Yes, she was the one who told Kyungsoo that Sarang’s favourite cake was cheesecake. It was the reason why Kyungsoo started practising to make the perfect cheesecake. To Kyungsoo, it would be romantic, but to Jinju, it would be painful. She didn’t want to watch her second crush get together with another

Please log in to read the full chapter