FINAL

Single forever!? Nah!

“Our eyes met!” My friend, Bang Min Ji shrieked. Her voice was somehow constricted. We were at school. It was self-study period since the teachers were called for a meeting. All the students did their ‘thing’. The girls were gossiping while the boys went somewhere. The class was almost empty aside from us.

The ‘us’ I mean here were Bang Min Ji, the one mentioned above, Lee Ji Hyun, my other friend AKA Min Ji’s seatmate and me, Kim Eun Ae. There were also other students but I wasn’t very close paying attention to them. My seatmate, Choi Hyo Min was absent so I’m alone today.

“Whose eyes?” Ji Hyun asked. I tore away my eyes from the book I’m reading and looked towards the duo in front of me. Min Ji was blushing while Ji Hyun looked puzzled. She cast a questioning look at me. I shrugged.

Min Ji beckoned her fingers for us to get close to her. We did. She whispered, “Ji Min’s eyes and mine met!” Her eyes were shining as she told us.

“That’s all?” I whispered back.

“Yeah, I thought he confessed.” Ji Hyun added. Min Ji pouted.

“Well, I don’t think he knew me.” Min Ji said, earning a hit on her head by me.

“Of course he knows you! We’ve been classmate for half of this year!” I hissed.

“Well, how did it happen?” Ji Hyun cut, didn’t want us to argue. Min Ji pulled back as she relaxes herself.

“I was just glance at him when he turned. Then, our eyes met and we stared at each other for …” She trailed off before continuing, “I don’t know for how long.”

“Congrats.” Both Ji Hyun and I spoke in unison. We looked at each other and laughed. Min Ji didn’t seem to hear it. Her mind was somewhere else.

“MinJiMinJiMinJiMinJi-” I chanted out aloud before my mouth was shut by Min Ji’s hand. Her eyes were glued to the front where Ji Min and his friends sat. Ji Hyun was already laughed that she was almost fell out of her chair.

“Wae? I’m calling you because you were somewhere else.” I said as I removed her hand. She sent daggers through her eyes.

Before I could talk, I heard the sound of chairs being pushed. Ji Min and his friends were walking out of the class, leaving the three of us alone.

“He must have misheard it!” Min Ji said with her hands on her head. Then she mumbled something that I couldn’t hear.

I tried to talk to her but she completely ignored me. I gave up and continued on my reading and Ji Hyun did her homework.

KRING!!!

“Finally, the sound of freedom!” Ji Hyun said as she stretched out her arms.

I stood as I packed my things. Min Ji did the same except that she was faster.

“Let’s go!” She said and skipped through the class towards the door. Ji Hyun and I looked at each other before we laughed.

“She’s totally on a cloud nine.” Ji Hyun said. Then, we heard Min Ji’s groan. We looked ahead and saw she’s sitting on the floor. We walked to her but stopped when someone came in and held out his hand towards Min Ji. You can imagine our jaw dropped to the floor as in cartoons.

Park Ji Min, our best friend’s crush was helping her. I saw Min Ji’s face. It’s ‘oh-my-gosh-my-crush’ face. She hesitantly took his hand and he pulled her up. They talked something. It’s the ‘are-you-okay’ conversation.

I looked at Ji Hyun. She seems still not recovered from the shock. I nudged her and walked towards Min Ji and Ji Min. Oh my gosh, their names got me dizzy.

“Yah, why would you skip? Now what? Are you okay?” I shot Min Ji with my questions, breaking the not-so-romantic scene. Min Ji was flushed.

“Shortie! Ppalli!” Another boy came in. He looked at Ji Min and us. I knew him. Jeon Jung Kook, another sophomore just like us but was in the elite class.

Ji Min told him to wait before went to his desk and left with his bagpack.

Just like that.

Then I felt someone hit my head.

Ouch.

“What’s that for?” I snapped my head towards the attacker, Ji Hyun.

“That was a perfect scene, ya know!?” Ji Hyun said with her hands clasped together. I rolled my eyes.

“What perfect scene?” A voice greeted us. It was Jung Dae Hyun, our senior AKA Ji Hyun’s boyfriend.

Ji Hyun went to her boyfriend and hugged his arm. She told him about Min Ji’s accident.

As for Min Ji, she was still blushing when Dae Hyun sunbae asked her, “Want me to tell him?” She shook her head while waving her hands like crazy.

“Okay. Let’s go Hyun-ie.” Dae Hyun said as he left with Ji Hyun.

“Let’s go Min Ji. Your brother might be waiting.” I said as I pulled her left hand. She went home smiling like crazy.

As for me, yes, I walked home alone. While walking, my mind went back into past.

FLASHBACK

“Girls, I introduced you, Kang Min Hyuk oppa! My boyfriend!” Hyo Min yelled as she hugged Min Hyuk sunbae’s arm. It was a day after we celebrated her birthday and she told us how Min Hyuk sunbae confessed, making him blushed.

Ok, one of our friends got her boyfriend. I don’t mind.

Few weeks later, we caught Ji Hyun on a date with one of our sunbae, Jung Dae Hyun. They were like kids caught for stealing. Such a cute couples.

Ok, another one got her special ones.

“Don’t worry Eun Ae! We’re together!” Min Ji chirped.

END OF FLASHBACK

Now, even Min Ji got her special one!? No, didn’t get it yet but soon. That meant I’m the only one left, single all through the year.

It’s okay, another year without special ones.

As I walked home, I passed a playground. It’s the playground I used to play years ago.

“Still, looking new, heh?” I muttered and continued my walk.

“Everyone got their special ones.” I talked alone. Of course! Hyo Min’s with Min Hyuk sunbae, Ji Hyun’s with Dae Hyun sunbae and coming soon or not our maknae, Min Ji.

“I’m home.” I said as I took off my shoes and went to my room.

‘At least there’s Min Ji.’

A DAY AFTER TOMORROW

I’m absent yesterday because of my fever. I still have it have it but at least it had cool down and guess what?

“Our maknae had a boyfriend now!” Hyo Min chirped when I sat. She continued, “That means you’re the only one who’s single in our group!”

Wait, what!?

“You know him. Her crush.” Ji Hyun came and sat. Still, I couldn’t get it. Then she came, along with her boyfriend.

Bang Min Ji and Park Ji Min. Their fingers entwined.

I got it. Then, during the recess, Min Ji told me about Ji Min but I didn’t focused because of the shock so I excused myself with the reason, “I think my fever’s back.”

Totally a lie but they bought it. Instead of going to the infirmary as I told them, I went to the library to search for a new storybook novel.

I love reading. My favourite genres are always horror, mystery and comedy. I rarely read the last genre as it was boring sometimes.

And I always find the same name that borrowed all the books I have been borrowing – Lee Sung Yeol.

I knew him. He was the president of the Red Cross Society while I’m the vice-president. He’s in the same class as Jung Kook – the elite class. I rarely talked to him. We only talked during the weekly meeting. That’s if we talk.

My eyes caught the dark blue covered book with the title ‘Dust’ by Patricia Cornwell.

It’s a Scarpetta series! I love the series. The way the author wrote made me feel like I’m experiencing it for real. Even though the vocabulary was widely use and I had to open the dictionary when reading it, I’m still love it.

I reached out my hand to take the book but my hand accidently hit someone’s hand. It looked like he wanted the book too.

“I’m sorry!” Both of us said out loud. The librarian shot us a glare and we bowed.

I glanced at him. Lee Sung Yeol. He was looking at me.

“I found the book first. So, I’ll have it.” He whispered as he left with the book. I was dumbfounded. I went after him.

“I found it first! Give it to me!” I hissed as I tried to take the book. He held it up high above his head. It was hard for me to reach, as he’s tall. I stood on my toes and leaned in to take the book but…

BUMP!

I slipped and fell forward right onto Sung Yeol. The book was thrown from his hand to someone’s feet.

“Miss Kim and Mister Lee, I kindly asked you to get out of the library as you were disturbing other people’s privacy.” It was the librarian. She looked angry.

It was true, the other students were looking at us. I felt the blood were rising to my face and I, at once got up and dusted my uniform. Sung Yeol did the same.

We walked out of the library escorted by the librarian.

“It’s your fault.” I said under my breath while walking away from the library.

“If you just let me go, maybe that incident wouldn’t happen in the first place.” Sung Yeol walked passed me and disappeared in the corridor.

“How could he hear that?” I wondered. I went to the infirmary and told the nurse about my fever and she let me rested.

  • -    -

“Eun Ae! How’s your fever?” Hyo Min ran to me with Min Hyuk sunbae along with my other friends.

“I’m okay.” I said. They asked me lots of the same questions and when they were satisfied with my condition, they left me saying, “Be careful on your way home. We got dates with our boyfriends!”

Traitor. I thought to myself. Watching them disappear into the crowd of the students, I walked home.

“Geez, why it was so hot today?” You complained while walking. You picked up your pace and made it in front of the playground.

Suddenly, you felt the world spinning around you. You’re feeling that you’re getting heavier by seconds and your visions blurred. You felt that you’re falling. You also felt that someone caught you.

“Kim Eun Ae!”

‘That voice, is it…?’

Then, you passed out.

  • -    -

Purple. The first thing you saw as you opened your eyes were the colour of purple. Your visions were getting clearer and soon you realized that you’re in your room. You got up from your lying positions and sat. You held your head. Dizzy. That was all you could think of.

CLICK

You heard the sound of your door being opened. It’s your brother, Him Chan.

“O-Oppa.” You called him and he smiled as he walked up to you. He had a glass of water in his hand.

“Finally, you wake up. You got us worried, ya know!? Thanks to the boy! He carried you all the way here! Drink this, it’ll made you feel better.” Him Chan nagged as he handed you the water. You gulped it down at once.

“Wait? He? Who’s he?” You asked him. Yes, you did remember that someone caught you but you didn’t get a view of him.

“Kim Eun Ae!” You straighten your back.

Wait, that voice. Who is it?

“Yah, dongsaeng. Are you okay?” Your brother asked. You relaxed and told him that you’re okay.

“Okay, call me if you need anything. I’ll be in my room.” He said before heading out. You let out a sigh. Then, the door opened back.

“Oh! And that boy told me to give this book to you.” Him Chan said as he handed you a dark blue covered book before leaving you again.

‘Dust’ by Patricia Cornwell.

Ea! It’s Sung Yeol!?

 

You flipped to the last page and found a note.

 

  -Read this. Give it back to me when you finished it.

    01xxxxxxxx, LSY

 

“It is him after all.” You said to yourself. You took your phone and save the number. Then, you sent him a text.

 

Thank you for … saving me? And I’ll read the book well! ;)

-KEA-

 

Your eyes went back to the memo.

‘He had nice writing.’ You thought and you slipped the memo randomly between the pages and started reading.

3 DAYS LATER

 

I’ve done reading it. How I should return it to you?

-KEA-

 

You were feeling completely fine and now you were in school. It’s recess time and you’re alone. Your friends had their date with their special ones. While waiting for the reply, you took the novel out of your bag. Your phone vibrated.

 

To the 3rd level of Block C. Wait at the end of the corridor. The one facing the field. Wait there AFTERSCHOOL.

-LSY-

 

Wow, did he have to caps on the ‘afterschool’ word? It’s not like I’m going there now if you caps off the word. 3rd level of Block C? I know it. I replied ‘OK’ and kept my phone since the recess time was over.

  • -    -

“Woah, so windy.” I said as I wait at the place where Sung Yeol asked me to. The novel was in my right hand. I spread out my left hand to feel the wind.

“This isn’t Titanic so stop doing that.” Someone said from behind. I turned around at once and Sung Yeol’s figure was just behind me. We were just separated by inchs, ya know!? I stepped behind and felt the wall on my back. I’m trapped.

“Here.” I held out the book to him. He took it without talking anything. Still, he didn’t move.

“What else?” I asked him. Your heart was pumping like crazy. I could feel that my face was getting hot.

Sung Yeol chuckled at the sight of me blushing.

“How should I say it?” He said as he rubbed the nape of his head.

‘He looked… cute and innocent.’ My heart thumped.

“S-say what?” I stuttered.

“How could you be so cute with that face?”

“Ea!?” I blurted out. Who wouldn’t if someone just told me that I’m cute?

“I think… I like you. C-can we be couple?” He stuttered. My eyes went as big as a saucer.

“Are you sick?” I said.

“What?” He looked at me – completely puzzled with my question.

“Are. You. Sick?” I asked syllable by syllable.

“Maybe. I’m lovesick.” He joked and acted out.

“OUCH!”

“That’s not funny.” I said. I kicked his shin and he toppled. He fell on his .

“And that hurts. A lot!” He snapped making me jumped out of shock. Then, he held his shin in order to reduce the pain.

‘Did I kick him that hard?’ I asked myself as I bent and took the question out of my mind, “Did I kick you that hard?”

“Yes.” He said as he winced. “You cracked my shin!”

I’m seriously getting annoyed so, “Tell me again and I’ll break it this time.” As I lift my foot.

“Ok, I’m kidding. Just, tell me your answer then.” He said with his hands closed together as in begging don’t-hurt-me! I’m almost laugh at this scene.

“To be honest, I don’t know.” I said after the silence warping both of I.

He slumped. That made I felt hurt.

“Oh.” He said.

“If you give me more time, I can think about it. But for instant answer, I don’t feel anything towards you.” I added.

 “Give me the chance to win your heart, then!” He said, flashing his puppy eyes with the mischievous smile plastered on his lips.

“Okay.”

“Yes! Tell me when you’re falling for me!” He said. I nodded.

“By the way, even though I’ve said this before, thank you for saving me.” I said again.

“There’s no need. At least I got on the good side of your family.” He winked. I rolled my eyes and walked down the stairs.

“Let me walked you home! My house is just around there.” He offered. And he added, “You can’t say no. It’s my way of winning your heart.”

“Why did you bother to ask, then?” I asked.

“Just… Asking…” He said playfully.

And both of us walked home together. Guess what? When my family saw him, they asked him to stay for dinner. I was like ‘whut’?

Thank God he refused. Then, he said that he will someday.

Someday…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it! writing this took me about four hours! Wow! That's the first time i wrote a oneshot story this long. Nevermind... Have fun reading it!