The Distance

Fate and Faith
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 11: The Distance

 

After what happened that night, the two became distant. The next morning after their outing, both got back to their respective jobs. Daehyun had been avoiding the pup. He went to work before Baekhyun woke up and went home late every night. Baekhyun would wait for the younger to come home. Almost every day he dozed off on the couch downstairs, but he woke up on the bed every morning. So he postulated that the younger carried him to bed.

 

There was one time when Baekhyun came home early and cooked for Daehyun. He prepared all Daehyun’s favorite dishes.

 

The clock was ticking.

 

8.30 p.m.; Baekhyun started to lay out the dishes.

 

9.30 p.m.; he arranged the dishes so it could be more presentable, and he's been doing that for the past hour, every 10 minutes intervals.

 

11.00 p.m., Baekhyun reheated the dishes so that Daehyun would enjoy warm foods when he got home after a long day at work.

 

12.00 a.m., Baekhyun glumly wrapped the dishes with plastic covers and put it away into the fridge.

 

1.00 a.m., Baekhyun laid on the couch with Mr. Ted clutching in his arms. His cheeks were stained with tears. Out of habit, he buried his face into the fluffy teddy and cried himself to sleep.

 

 

Daehyun got home when the clock 2.00 a.m. He opened the front door, only to be greeted with silence and darkness. That was what he hoped for, wasn't he?

 

He strolled towards the living room to be greeted with the sight of Baekhyun sleeping on the couch, his arms hugging his favorite teddy tightly. Daehyun moved silently towards the older sleeping figure. He kneeled down, evened out their level. Daehyun caressed the pup's soft, silky locks. He noticed something different on the pup's face. The pup's eyes were puffy, and his nose was red. Daehyun could trace the dried tears on the elder's cheeks. He felt horrible.

 

Daehyun carried the pup to their shared bedroom. The older let out a whimpering sound as he felt warmth near him. Baekhyun clutched on Daehyun’s chest, as if he wouldn’t let the younger go. Daehyun gently laid the older and slowly released the elder’s clutched on his chest. Daehyun then placed the teddy beside the pup and tucked the older with the warm duvet.

 

Daehyun then went downstairs to pick up his stuff he left earlier when he carried Baekhyun upstairs. He went to the fridge to get something cool to quench his thirst. As he opened the fridge door, he could see stacked of foods nicely wrapped in there. He pulled out the stack. All of them were his favorite foods. Kimchi stew, bulgogi and there’s even stir fried veggies. He laid out all the foods on the dining table. He then made his way to the rice cooker and scooped out some rice. Daehyun finished all the food prepared for him.

 

 

Baekhyun woke up next morning hearing his alarm blaring throughout the room. Again, he woke up on the bed alone. There’s no sign of Daehyun anywhere. He sighed and made his way to wash up and change to start his day at the café. Baekhyun sauntered downstairs directly to the kitchen. He grabbed a mug and filled it with plain water. Then, his eyes caught the sight of a sticky note attached to the fridge door. He went closer to read the note. Unknowingly, a smile crept onto his lips.

 

Thanks for the food. I really enjoyed it. – Daehyun

 

That’s how Baekhyun ended up smiling goofily and humming some happy tunes along his way to the café.

 

 

A week passed and things were still the same. The couple was in no speaking term as Daehyun got busy with his works. He still came home late everyday but at least the tensions between them were gone. Daehyun would left some post-it notes on the fridge, and that alone would make Baekhyun less lonely.

 

Ah, and guess what? Tomorrow would be the day of their wedding, the day where both of them would be officially tied to each other. Only close friends and relatives were invited and there would be no vows or such, just signing of marriage certificate and walla! They’ll become married couple.

 

 

It was the day of their wedding. At last, he got to see Daehyun’s face after so long. It was like they didn’t live in the same house. The wedding will be held in the afternoon. Daehyun will come straight from his company, as he needed to settle some last minute works. Himchan was being a mother hen, trying to adjust the attire hugging Baekhyun’s body and shouting at his makeup artist to do the makeup correctly as he saw the eye-liner were uneven.

 

Baekhyun was excited. He was estatic at the thought of meeting Daehyun. He couldn't bring himself to sit put. Junmyeon and Kyungsoo, whom with the pup in the dressing could only smirked seeing the pup’s restlessness.

 

“Oi, sit down will ya? Your husband-to-be ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter