The Sin of Greed

The Rest is Still Unwritten

            Like a movie, each scene has to end and move on; Minho’s journal did exactly that… After altering the day he so desired, his body would involuntary move towards the journal, writing what he changed and then snapping back to the present day of his thirty year old life. It felt like it was never ending, no matter how hard Minho tried, he just couldn’t get the future he wanted, and that was simply to be with Taemin. But he never lost hope because he had his journal to change things.

 

            Minho took himself back to the week before graduation. They were currently fooling around on the empty stairways at school with Taemin sitting beside him. He looked at the redhead endearingly. “Taem…” Minho’s voice was above a whisper.

            “Yeah…?” His cheek rested upon Minho’s thigh as he placed himself comfortably lying down on his side.

            “We’re almost graduating…” He paused, almost wanting to bite his tongue since he already knows the outcome. “You think you’ll still have feelings for me in the future? If you know… we don’t make it?”

            Taemin scoffed at first, but after realizing the serious look in Minho’s eyes, he took a moment to think about his answer. His eyes averted down, almost looking like he was sleeping on Minho’s lap, “you’re my first love so… it’d be hard to forget about the feelings I have for you, in fact, I’m certain I will have feelings for you because I loved you from back then, I love you still, I always have and… I always will.”

            Minho flushed from his lover’s words, he felt incredibly happy to hear them, even if it didn’t ring true in the future. The certainty in his eyes as he said that, it made Minho believed him for a second. A sorrow smile spread across his face, “and just how are you so sure about that?”

            Taemin rolled his eyes as he smiled crookedly, “I know what lies within me, so all the things that lie before and behind me are just tiny matters… why? Are you scared to lose me?” Minho chuckled as the teasing latter, he felt better, and maybe this time when the day ends, Taemin’s words will be true. He ruffled the boy’s silky hair into a huge mess and simply says, “So what if I am?”

 

 

            Waking up in the same spot, listening to the same birds sing their melodic chirps, he slowly groaned as he forced himself to sit up on his bed. He then realizes that he really wasn’t as fit as he was before when he was in high school, and it’s only been like ten years. Finding his phone, he noticed a text from last night, it was from Taemin.

 

From: Taemin

Date: 9/27/11 1:43 AM

 

Text: It was fun at the reunion! By the way, we’re coming over later in the afternoon to hang out!

 

            Minho heart’s pranced for joy, this is the first time Taemin had ever contacted him, let alone act like they were friends. Could he really believe that this was the future he had hoped for? That Taemin was finally within his reach now? Glancing at the time on his phone, he scurried out of bed, getting ready for the day he was excited for. When the evening finally rolled around, the door bell rang and he answered it, wondering what this Taemin appearance was like. His looks always changed each time Minho altered the past but he thought Taemin always looked beautiful as always.

            The door flung open, revealing a young man with blonde hair and the flawless face of Taemin, taking Minho’s breath away as it always have. But behind him, was someone he had not expected to see, Lee Jinki. Minho’s expression dropped in an instant, Taemin allowed himself through the door, as if he was used to this already. “You… what are you doing here?” Minho didn’t mean to sound hostile.

            “Me? Didn’t Taemin tell you that we’re here to spend the evening with you?” Onew sounded a bit offended.

            “Geez, Minho! Don’t pick on him, even if he is an easy target!” Taemin snickered, pulling Onew’s hand and dragging him into the house, brushing pass Minho. They strolled into the living room, hand in hand, the sight of that made it clear to Minho that he still wasn’t his—but Onew’s. The heavy weight on his chest almost suffocated him, his mind filled with rage, and he almost lost control by wanting to punch a hole into the wall. “Hold on, I need to… uh, get something upstairs,” he say as he sprints up the staircase into his old bedroom, slamming the door shut, he hustled to his journal. Angrily whipping it out, he wanted to take the pen and slash every single page out for its failure of not making things right, but what use would that do? Fate was playing him like a fool. His hands tore out pages, crumbling them, or just ripping them to shreds, he just so angry that he had the power to change his past but none of his changes benefitted the future whatsoever.

            Slumping down to his knees with his head hanged down, he fought hard to push back the tears, he had guests over first off, how pathetic would it be to cry with them waiting down there. His sad eyes caught glimpse of a torn paper from his journal, the date stated that it was the week before graduation, the day Minho listened to Taemin’s confession about always loving him. That’s right, he thought, if he can’t change the past then perhaps he could change it right now. He didn’t need this stupid, magical journal anymore; he’ll just change his future with his own hands…

 

            “Taem… please,” Minho pleaded, hand tightly clenched around the latter’s wrist. “Be with me again…” He saw the frustrated and despair in the younger male’s expression, running both of his hands through the blonde locks of his hair, almost seeming like he wanted to cry.

            “Why…? Why, Minho?” He sounded aggravated, his voice on the verge of breaking, and Minho knew why. “I’m already with someone, so please! Don’t do this… please, just stop…” But Minho didn’t want to stop, he wanted Taemin so badly, and so he grabbed Taemin and cornered him to the wall. Sad faces reflected into each other’s eyes.

            “Taemin… remember? Remember when you said you’d always love me…?”

            The blonde turned his face to the side, avoiding Minho’s eyes. He took a deep gulp. “Yeah, I know… I do have feelings for you, Minho, but that’s in the past now… I know what’s within me now, don’t you? Years ago, you left me because you lost yourself… now, now you probably just want everything back to normal! But that’s not how it works, Choi Minho. Yeah, you make mistakes and the future can be terrifying but if you know what you truly want, and know who you truly are, then everything should be okay...” Minho couldn’t say anything back. His mind was sinking in every word that Taemin valiantly said.

            “…” Seeming like he held back his tongue, finally Taemin softly asked, “Tell me, Minho… have you moved on after your incident? Or have you never looked back on it because you didn’t want to remember…? Don’t you know… moving on isn’t about never looking back, it’s about taking a glance from time to time at yesterday and seeing how much you’ve grown since then.”

            Taemin’s words hit him straight into his heart, every single word rang true, and Minho gave up the moment he thought he lost everything instead of trying to pick everything up to make things better. The results in the future was because of him—he sculpted his future with his own hands by making the choices he did, and it was selfish of him to try and go back to the past to reshape everything. His lip slightly curved up a little, with a half-hearted chuckle leaving his lips. “You’re right, Taemin… I’m sorry…” those were all the things he could say. Minho thought it was pretty pathetic, all he’s been doing was apologizing, but saying ‘sorry’ doesn’t change anything. He lightly pulled the smaller male’s hand up and gently placed a kiss upon it.


            A silent "thank you..." left his lips.