2.1 Expression

The Writing Manual--Tips and Tricks to Becoming A Better Writer

Introduction  Express Yourself.

     I know that whenever I dream up a new story, the first thing I want to think of is characters and everything about them.  We've already established how imprtant research is to the foundation and formulation of your story.  It also continues into the smallest details that make each and every story its own and special in a way separate from everything out there.  The details are what get people hooked into a good story, and with details, there comes detailed characters.  We've already planned out our character traits for our main protagonists (and possibly some other characters, too!), so now it's time to start beginnng the process of making them seem real.  And to do that, we need to learn about expression.

 

Lesson

    It's very important to give each and every character a unique personality so they don't become bland.  For my stories, I usually base them off of my friends or different parts of myself.  That's what I love so much about writing: the way you can express yourself by creating a character based off of yourself.  Each and every one of my characters somehow ties back to me, my experiences, or something I wish I had the courage to do.  For instance, take Cora frrom my story "I'll Stay BEHIND the Camera, Thanks."  She's a photographer (something I admire) and she's traveled the World, experienced different cultures, and traveled to Korea.  That's something I really want to do if I have the opportunity.  While I might not be a successful photographer myself, I do want to travel the world and experience the World's unique cultures.  And Cora allows me to express that.

   That's what this lesson is on: Expression.  Finding ways to express yourself through the characters so they seem real--with interests, goals, hopes, and dreams.  Along with those traits we've already discussed, they can be a version of yourself.  Maybe they'd react to a situation in a way which you hope you could.  For example, maybe you've been bullied before.  So maybe, to express yourself, you write a story about someone who was bullied but found the power to make it stop in a way which you could.  (And for any of you in this situation, please, don't keep it inside.  Violence and nasty words are never the answer, but learning to ignore it can be a value weapon to have in your artillery.  Don't forget that no matter where you are in the World, you have someone who cares and would undoubtedly be willing to talk it out with you.)

   In the example story that I'm creating for this guide, the character has come across some old letters under their floorboards.  We know that this character has certain traits--curiosity, adventurous, serious, etc.  But what do we REALLY know about this character?  What is their name?  What type of people do they befriend?  Do they live alone?  If so, why?  How old is this character?

   As for me, I am really inspired by name meanings.  I like names that mean things in relation to a trait the character might possess.  Or maybe I'll give them a name that means the exact opposite of what I want their character to be.  Sometimes I just pick a name from thin air.  I personally don't believe that your character needs to have a Korean name if they are from Korea, or a Chinese name if they are from China, or a Spanish name if they are from Mexico or Spain.  While I usually follow that rule personally, I don't believe it's a necessity.  It's all up to the writer.

   For this one, I think I'm going to pick the name "Apple".  It's quirky and unique, kind of like how I want to portray this character to be.  I feel like with a name that quirky, I want her to be younger.  And maybe since she is so curious, she may read a lot of books.  I think she'll work at a library or a secondhand book store.  I think because she seems to be a quiet bookworm, she'll live alone or with a small family.  She'll have a best friend or two, maybe a sibling.

   See what I'm doing here?  I'm brainstorming but I'm not setting anything in stone just yet.  But I am allowing myself to think of possibilites but not holding myself to them.  I'm expressing different parts of myself, too.  I can't tell you how many hours I've wanted to be a person that can work at a bookstore with an attic and a small bell that rings when the door opens.  I love reading and I find myself liking to be alone.  I also have a few best friends, but not many other good friends.  Just regular friends and then my best friends.  And I'm picturing Apple having a few friends in a similar manner.  Maybe I'll base some other characters off of those people.

   This is what I mean about expression.  It's simply giving characters different aspects of yourself or people around you, sharing your experiences with those characters, and allowing the characters to shine.  It's easier to write when you can picture what your characters will do in any given situation.  Basing them off yourself or your friends and family can make that job even easier.

   Writing is a lot of hard work, but it shouldn't be difficult.  If it is, I hope this chapter has made it seem just a little bit easier. :)