Part One.

Uncharted Depths

 



 

Lu Han moved through the halls, smiling at the workers that passed him who bowed as if he was royalty, then again, some would argue that he was. His father owned the majority of businesses in South Korea, not to mention in other parts of the world too, and their family had been in charge for decades. Meaning Lu Han was the heir to a very rich and popular position. But the boy tried not to take advantage of it – always saying thank you to the maids and butlers that passed him; always trying to give some of the money he gained to those who needed it: things like that.

The boy was a joy to be around. Everyone that met him, especially those that were expecting a stuck up twenty-two year old who got everything he wanted, were surprised at his good manners and his cheerful personality.

To everyone, he was worthy of the fortune he was soon to be inheriting.

When he finally reached his large room, he walked inside and instantly moved over to the windows to grab some fresh air. There was a heat wave going around, and Lu Han was soon suffocating inside his very own room. Once the soft wind was hitting his face, all he could do was grin.

It felt nice, everything in his life was good at the moment.

And that’s when he saw him standing outside in the garden.

A boy was standing brightly with gorgeous white hair that was flowing delicately as the wind hit it. His body was lithe and tall, his legs long and skinny. The boy’s clothes complimented him well: tight white jeans and a black denim shirt. Lu Han tilted his head as he tried to get a better look at the boy standing metres away from him. But it was no use.

They were too far away. But Lu Han didn’t mind going on a little adventure on one of his days were he wasn’t being coaxed to take over the company.

Moving backwards, he left his windows open to allow the fresh air to circle his room. At least it should be a little cooler when he returned later on in the evening. Very quickly, Lu Han moved through the halls and quickly ran into the large garden where flowers grew and even some vegetables. It was actually Lu Han’s idea for a more organic diet. When he got there, he looked around to find the boy dressed in white, but he couldn’t.

“…Damn it.”

“Looking for me?”

Lu Han nearly jumped out of his skin when an unusual and non-familiar voice interrupted his thoughts and he immediately whisked around to face him. And there he was.

The boy in white.

“Um yes. Who are you?” Lu Han asked, trying to sound authoritive. But he wasn’t ready for the boy to be so exceedingly handsome – even more so than anyone else he had met in his life; and Lu Han met a lot of people. The boy didn’t smile, instead he kept his expression clean, before he took a few steps closer to the other, answering softly.

“My name is Oh Sehun, may I ask your name?” The boy sounded so formal – it was unusual in this day and time. Lu Han titled his head a little but nodded.

“It’s Lu Han.” Looking around, he frowned a little. “Why are you here?” He wondered. It was a little weird for someone like this to suddenly show up in his back garden: especially when it was supposed to be heavily protected against unwanted intruders.

How did Sehun get around the guards who have not slipped up once? How did this young boy get into his home?

But for some reason he didn’t feel threatened at all by him.

“I am here for you, Lu Han.” The boy whispered, simply just looking at the rich one.

“Why?”

“Because you are my master.”

Lu Han stumbled back a bit in surprise at what he had just heard. Master? Trying to find the correct words to reply with, he shook his head immediately. Surely there wasn’t a thing as a master in this day and age? That had been ruled out a long time ago. Lu Han cleared his throat as he stared at the younger, trying to speak with the right words, the ones that would make the other understand how bad it sounded.

Or perhaps it was just a practical joke. A really bad practical joke.

Putting his hands into his jean pockets slightly, he his lips before speaking.

“Master? Don’t be ridiculous.” Lu Han said. Besides, he had never even met this boy before – he would’ve remember if he did.

Sehun moved forward until he was but mere centimetres away from the other. He stood still and straightened his back, repeating his last sentence.

“You are my master.”

Lu Han scoffed.

“No, I am not. I don’t even know you. That’s impossible.” After explaining, he took a few steps backwards to gain his own personal space again. Looking around, he tried to avoid the other’s gaze that was almost penetrating his body. “…You should go. I don’t even know how you got in here in the first place.”

“Lu Han, I was sent to you.” Sehun spoke softly. As he did, he began to walk around Lu Han in a circle, his strong gaze never leaving, just lingering. “To do whatever you want me to, to protect you, to do whatever you wish.”

The older shook his head. It all sounded like it was coming out of a comic book.

And who sent him? Why was he speaking like he was some kind of object? Lu Han shook his head one more time and waited until Sehun had stopped directly in front of him again.

“Are you alright master?” He asked.

“…It’s Lu Han. Please, call me Lu Han if anything…” Lu Han sighed before looking around and spotting an empty bench. That was a good place to go. He needed to sit down and try to figure out just who this guy was. Although, it was probably a safe bet to say that he was a little insane – Sehun that is – and he had to try and deal with him.

When he sat down, Sehun immediately followed. But Lu Han was going to be bothered to tell him not to come – he wanted to talk to him anyway, which was why he sat at the right side of the bench and waited for Sehun to sit at the other.

What he wasn’t expecting was for Sehun to sit directly beside him.

Thighs touching and all. Lu Han shuffled over to the side a little and cleared his throat, turning to stare at the other who was still expressionless.

“Sehun, who sent you?” He wanted to get the main thing out first. Besides, when Sehun told him someone had sent him, it made Lu Han shiver a little. He didn’t want to think he knew and conversed with someone who would send a person as a gift. It made him shiver again, just thinking about it was rather mind-numbing.

Sehun tilted his head and opened his mouth before immediately closing it again. Like he had a problem.

“Are you alright?” The rich boy asked, worrying a little.

“It’s just…” Sehun looked confused. “Don’t you already know?” He asked. Lu Han shook his head immediately. “…So you don’t actually know why I’m here?” Another shake of the head made Sehun frown a little.

Standing up, Sehun turned around and stood in front of the rich boy.

Lu Han just waited, because it looked like the other wanted to say something. After a minute of silence passed, he leaned back onto the bench and let out a deep breath. When he looked back up at the younger boy, he frowned when he noticed that the other wasn’t moving. His expression was stern and blank, just like it had been for the last couple of minutes. It was like Sehun was frozen in his place.

He moved over to the other and tapped him on the shoulder. In fact, Lu Han was pretty terrified that something was wrong with him.

“Sehun?” Tapping his shoulder again, he frowned when he received no reaction. “Sehun!”

The boy finally moved and stared up at Lu Han.

“What is it, Master?”

“You weren’t moving at all.” Lu Han explained, titling his head but feeling rather relieved inside that Sehun was alright. If he wasn’t, he wasn’t sure what he’d do. It’d fall on him that’s for sure – he was the only other one there.

“I am sorry Master.” Sehun said, sounding plain. “I was retrieving information.”

Lu Han looked at him with confused eyes. What did that even mean? He was so sure that the boy hadn’t taken his phone out or even had an ear piece in that he could call someone. Perhaps he was talking about the person that had brought them together? Either way, what Sehun had just said sounded weird to him, and pretty much impossible.

They stared at each other for a while before Lu Han spoke again. Especially when it looked that Sehun wanted him to speak.

“Retrieving it from who? And how?” The boy wondered.

“From the one who sent me to you.” Sehun explained, but Lu Han put up a hand to stop him and sighed.

“Tell me who that is!”

Now he was getting rather aggravated. Sehun titled his head a little as if he wondered what sort of expression was on the rich boy’s face.

“…Fine, don’t tell me.” Lu Han sighed, he was just frustrated. “How about you tell me how you were getting your ‘so called’ information?” If Sehun was going to give him another blank expression he was going to go nuts.

“The messaging device of course.” Sehun said, as if it was basic information. When he saw the other stare at him blankly, he decided to explain. “It’s an implant – which is also a locator device – allows me to send signals which can be messages to anyone else. The locator device also locates the receiver for the sent messages.” Sehun nodded his head, as if it was the most logical thing he could ever say.

Lu Han stood there and sighed.

That is until a certain word in Sehun’s sentence struck a nerve.

“Wait… what do you mean implant?”

“You really do not know anything about me do you?” The younger said, moving forward and standing only millimetres away from the boy. “I was not expecting this.”

“No… I really don’t.” Lu Han said, making no effort to move back. “Now will you explain?”

“Of course Master.” Sehun moved around, sitting on the bench as if he was making himself comfortable. “Will you sit with me?” Lu Han nodded and sat on the bench as well, turning to face the other, feeling happy he finally got his way.

And interested because he was sure that this was going to be a hell of an explanation.

Sehun nodded and began explaining.

“I am a robot.”

Lu Han put up his hand immediately and stared at him like he was a child. Did he think he was a er or something? Shaking his head, he was almost definitely sure that Sehun was now a crazy idiot because that was not how he was expecting the explanation to start. A robot. Sehun was now apparently a robot.

Two of them stared at each other. That is until Lu Han finally spoke.

“A robot?” He repeated, sighing.

“Yes, I am a fully functioning robot.” Sehun repeated himself before he continued to speak again. “I was sent to you because I am extremely useful at all tasks. I will do anything you need me to do, and I am extremely capable at everything.”

Lu Han now knew that the other had fully convinced himself that he was a robot. Perhaps that was why he found it incredibly normal to say the word ‘Master’.

Staring a little while longer, Lu Han sighed. Sehun was obviously waiting for a reaction to the speech he had just gave, so the rich boy had to say something. But what? He didn’t know what to say to that at all. What do you say to a strange boy who had just told him that he was a piece of artificial intelligence who wasn’t human?

Lu Han sighed. The situation was simply too complicated for him. Even though he thought he would be able to take care of any situation.

But not this one.

“A robot…” Lu Han muttered once again, trying to comprehend even just a part of it. “I’m sorry Sehun but, that’s just ridiculous.”

Sehun shook his head and stood up.

He moved closer to Lu Han and held out his right arm, tilting his head to the side. Before Lu Han could even speak, Sehun rolled up the sleeve of his shirt to bear his arm, but it just made the situation a lot more confusing.

Just as Lu Han was about to say something, something incredibly impossible happened.

On Sehun’s bare arm, something appeared. It was a circuit board of sorts, but the thing that freaked Lu Han out the most was the way that his arm opened up to show it. What opened up was only a small part of the boy’s arm, but it made Lu Han jump up from his seat in fear. The circuit board looked very complex, electricity was pumping through the other’s veins and it looked too advanced for the world right now.

At school, Lu Han did play around with things like this. But this, this was out of his league, way out of his league.

Sehun spoke quietly.

“This is what I am.” He explained, both of them watching as his arm reconnected. “Now do you believe me?” Sehun asked, putting his sleeve back down and letting his hand fall to the side. And he continued to stare until he received a response.

But the rich boy stayed quiet, and he stayed standing. This wasn’t something he had thought he’d have to go through when he awoke this morning.

Time passed until Lu Han had an urge to put out his hand and let his fingertips trace the skin of the boy in front of him. The skin was warm, it didn’t feel artificial. It felt like a human’s skin. But somehow, Lu Han felt something inside of him click that maybe, just maybe, Sehun might be telling the truth, even if his skin felt human, even if he looked human, even if he smelled human something about him wasn’t. And Lu Han felt it.

This was all too much.

Lu Han could feel his body getting heavier, his mind getting foggier as he fell back onto the bench. All of a sudden, Sehun lunged forward and sat beside him, his eyes wide with worry at how pale the older boy looked.

“Are you alright Master?” He asked, his voice laced with concern. Putting a hand up, Lu Han took a deep breath and nodded his head.

“I-I’m fine.” That was a lie, but he didn’t want to fuss. Looking up at Sehun, he sighed. “So… you really are a robot aren’t you?”

Sehun nodded.

“Yes I am.”

“And… you’ve been sent to me by – god knows who – to… be what exactly?” He still didn’t understand why Sehun was coming after him instead of anyone else. How was Lu Han more special than everyone else? Surely there was someone else out there that would benefit from having a handy robot more than he would?

“To help.” It sounded so simple.

“To help with what?”

“To help with anything you need. I’ll do anything you require me too Master.” Sehun explained, standing up and nodding his head.

Lu Han sighed.

“Right.”

It wasn’t like he needed anything else right now. Besides, what could Sehun really do for him?

Although, he probably wouldn’t mind observing what it was that Sehun could do. A robot would certainly spice up his life a little. And if anything, he could certainly experiment a little with Sehun, it would be interesting to say the least.

Sehun watched Lu Han carefully; the boy suddenly changed his expression and a glorifying smile appeared on his pink lips before he spoke.

“Fine. You can stay.” Lu Han said, before he remembered about his family. “But you’re going to have to help me to create an explanation for it.”

Moving around Sehun, he began moving back into his large house.

Sehun quickly followed before he spoke again.

“An explanation for what? If I may ask.” The boy sounded incredibly formal but it was actually a nice tone to hear. Everyone these days continuously talked slang and Lu Han – even though he did it himself – thought it sounded rather ridiculous. Or maybe his fascination with the olden times meant he loved the way they talked back then: with such grace.

Hearing Sehun talk like that made him smile a little.

Then he remembered that he was actually asked a question. But it was a pretty much silly question to ask, or maybe Sehun didn’t see anything wrong with him being their – or out of the ordinary.

“An explanation for why you’re suddenly going to be living with me.” Lu Han said, turning to face the other with a smile on his face. He knew that his father wouldn’t just pass it off, in fact he’d be more than interested as to why a stranger was living with them. “You know, it’d be a little bit weird that you suddenly appeared.” The boy explained.

 The robot nodded his head before he said something peculiar.

“You can say that I am your romantic partner.”

Lu Han immediately stopped and his eyes grew wide. He turned around and just stared at the younger looking boy and gaped.

“You can’t just say things like that you know!”

“Would that not be the easiest way?” Sehun asked, tilting his head to the side. In his head, that would mean there would hardly be any questions as to why they were going to be together all the time.

Lu Han stared at him and just shook his head.

If anything, that would cause so many more problems. Shaking his head more, he turned and continued to walk into the house.

“What explanation would you create, Master?” Sehun wondered.

“…You are a friend of mine who has come into need of a place to live. No more explanation is needed because that way there will be no more questions asked.” Lu Han nodded his head at his own explanation before they finally entered the house which was thankfully not crowded with other people at the moment. Turning to Sehun, he smiled. “Okay, I can get you settled into one of the spare rooms and then we can talk more.”

Just as he was about to turn around and walk forward again, he was stopped by the boy behind him grabbing his arm and bringing him to a halt.

He turned and stared at Sehun.

“I cannot stay away from you, Master. That would be unconventional.” Sehun explained as he let go of the other.

“…W-Why?” That sounded way too intimate.

“I need to be there with you in case an emergency ever arises. If it would be alright with you, then I would prefer to stay in the same room as you, Master.” The robot stated, placing both of his hands behind his back as he waited for an answer. Lu Han stared at him and took a deep breath. There was probably no point in saying otherwise.

Time to have a robot as a roommate too.

 



 
   

 

Now it had been a week since Sehun had suddenly appeared in his life; and he certainly spiced up his life in more ways than one. After telling his father that Sehun’s own personal life had basically came down in ruins, his father immediately consented to him staying there. But even he could see that something was up with Sehun considering how he behaved. And yet, he never said anything and left it to his son to deal with Sehun.

That was a hard enough task on his own. Sehun was a handful. Even to Lu Han who had the patience of a saint, he was hard to deal with.

It was because Sehun had to do everything perfectly.

Lu Han had gotten to the stage where he asked Sehun to do some remote tasks around the house – or really his room, like cleaning up; washing; making the bed and trivial things like that. It was only little things, and to be fair, Lu Han didn’t want to be ordering him around.

But Sehun wouldn’t be happy if he wasn’t being ordered around. The robotic boy would stand around, not making a single expression until he was told otherwise.

To be fair, Lu Han was just going to leave him like that.

Only if it wasn’t so annoying. The boy made the entire room feel awkward, and Lu Han could hardly take it anymore. So he began to do what Sehun wanted him to do, even if it was small tasks. The robot was rather happy to be doing something to help, although he never smiled at all, which made it all the more awkward.

Right now, Sehun was steady on making the bed as Lu Han was currently just coming out of the bathroom from a nice and hot shower. The robot finished carefully putting the covers on top of the mattress and turned around.

“Did you have a nice shower, Master?” He asked, moving closer and standing directly in front of him with a stern expression on his face.

“Uh yes.” Lu Han nodded, his cheeks reddening a little.

As he cleared his throat, he thought of something that had never quite occurred to him before now.

“Sehun?” He whispered, making the other stare at him in surprise. “Don’t you need to… you know… take a shower?” Lu Han had thought that the only hygienic thing the other had done since he had been here was change clothes. And those were Lu Han’s clothes. But he felt rather uneasy at the fact the other seemed to just… stay clean of his own accord – without the showerhead.

The robot tilted his head, in fact, he looked a little confused at the question. But then he looked like he had finally understood what was really being asked of him and in fact, Lu Han was surprised that a little smile was placed on his surprisingly soft looking lips.

Sehun smiled and answered softly.

“Master, may I remind you that I am in fact a robot?” He explained, the smile never leaving his lips whilst Lu Han rolled his eyes. Why did he feel like he was being talked slightly down to?

“I remember, it’s not something you easily forget.”

The robot nodded in agreement. It definitely wasn’t.

“Master, I am an artificial intelligence. I am electrical. If I go under a shower and the water hits me then I will short circuit and I’m afraid I won’t be able to comprehend the situation. That would make me counterproductive.”

Lu Han stared at the other with a sigh and watched him just smile. Of course. In all of this he had forgotten that little bit of common sense. If he were to shower then he would – in all sense – die. That would be very problematic for both of them. Sehun turned around and began to fluff the pillows, it seemed any justification of emotion had now left him and he had now retracted back to his original state.

Moving over to the cupboard, he kept a firm hold of the towel that was around his waist and began to look for something to wear on his body for that day.

When he got a suitable outfit, he moved over to the dresser beside his bed where he picked out some designer boxers. Removing the towel quickly, he shoved the underwear on but then he felt some eyes on his back. He turned around and noticed that Sehun was staring at him.

“Wh-What?” He asked, feeling nervous and massively self-conscious now.

“Forgive me, it’s nothing.” Sehun turned his back again and began to do chores again. But it left the rich boy rather confused because he was more than sure that Sehun was not staring at his face when he had caught him.

In fact, he was sure the other was staring at something much more private.

Gulping, he quickly shoved on his jeans and excused himself to the bathroom again, locking the door and letting out a deep sigh. Lu Han leaned his back against it and shut his eyes softly. That wasn’t supposed to even happen. Looking down, he noticed something that definitely should not be there because of the robot.

Racing forward, he grabbed onto the sink and immediately turned the cold water tap on. After splashing some onto his face, he took a deep breath and finally relaxed a little. It was normal.

That’s what it was.

Moving back, he decided to just wait until his ‘little problem’ had died down. He sat on the edge of the bath and tapped his foot a little.

All he had to do was think bad thoughts.

Like s.

“Gross…” Lu Han whispered before he began giggling about himself. As he finally calmed down, he moved out of the bathroom and stared at Sehun who was currently sitting on the couch that he had placed in his bedroom. The robot was just staring at the floor with that blank expression that summed up his entire personality. “Are you alright Sehun?” he asked, making the other stare up at him.

But he just nodded, his eyes immediately moving down to the floor again. Sehun was acting a little weird in this case.

Lu Han moved over to him and sat beside him.

They sat in silence for a couple of minutes before Lu Han had had enough of it. It was uncomfortable and besides, he didn’t want to feel this way in his own bedroom. Tapping the robot’s shoulder, he smiled at him and began a conversation.

“So… what do you want to do now?” He asked, considering his entire room was spectacularly clean. Sehun turned to him and looked surprised.

“What does Master want to do?” The boy responded.

But that was what was rather frustrating. Lu Han shook his head and sighed a little before he tried once again.

“I want to do, whatever you want to do.” With a big great smile he waited again.

“Master, I do not understand.” Sehun replied, tilting his head to the side. “I only do what you want me to do, asking me myself what I want to do when you yourself have not issued me an order is rather confusing.” After his long speech, the rich boy was staring at him like the boy was a running thesaurus. Or he just spoke incredibly posh.

“Well…” Lu Han wondered how to continue. “…Before you came to help me. What was it that you did in your spare time?”

“I was only created for you.”

“Wait…” Lu Han tapped his fingers a little. “That person created you for me alone?” he wondered, and the other nodded. “Oh. Well, I suppose I’ll just have to teach you about fun.”

With a small jump, he grinned and stood up. Turning around to the robot, he grabbed onto Sehun’s hands and pulled him up. Sehun stared at the rich boy and just waited for the other to do what he wanted to do. After all, he had to follow the other’s orders without doubt. Lu Han held onto Sehun’s hand and pulled him out of the room instantly, moving down the hallway and pulling him out into the garden where they first met.

Both of them stood in the middle of the garden before Lu Han smiled at him. Looking around, he grinned at Sehun and spoke instantly.

“I’ll teach how to have fun!” He grinned.

“Fun?” Sehun repeated the word softly. Lu Han nodded.

“Yup. We’ll start by playing on the swings!” Lu Han pointed over to a swing set at the other side of the big garden and grinned.

Yeah, he knew it was rather childish but it was something he had always enjoyed. Grabbing Sehun’s hand again, he pulled him over to the swing and sat him down on one as he got the other. The robot looked absolutely clueless about what was happening. But Lu Han was having the time of his life. In just ten seconds he had already gotten pretty high on the swing and was giggling at the top of his voice at the way he felt.

But then he saw that the robot’s eyes were fixated on himself and he was doing nothing at all to have fun himself. That was certainly not going to work.

Stopping the swing, he placed his feet planted on the ground and smiled.

Time to explain.

“Okay, what we’re going to do is start by kicking your feet.” Lu Han explained, watching as Sehun just watched him with a blank expression. The rich boy laughed at how clueless he looked – it was pretty cute.

Kicking his feet from the ground, he let his legs move full out and grinned. But then he stopped.

“See?”

“…Like this?” Sehun whispered, kicking his feet off the air and copying Lu Han instantly. And rather perfectly. “Am I doing it right?” He asked whilst he was in the air.

Lu Han grinned and continued to show the other what he was doing.

Soon enough, both of them were swinging in the air, back and forth. For Lu Han, he was having an incredible time because he hadn’t done this in a while. When the rich boy looked over at the robot, he noticed that he looked rather confused.

“Is everything alright?” He asked, slowing down a little but not stopping.

“This is… fun?” Sehun whispered, watching as the earth seemed to move around him. When he received the other’s nod, he rose an eyebrow. “…This feels weird. Like the earth is moving. Do you like this feeling?”

Lu Han nodded before he thought of something rather horrible. Stopping instantly, he turned to face the robot and frowned.

“Can you stop for a moment?”

Sehun immediately done as he was told.

“What is the matter, Master?” he wondered, feeling cautious that the other wanted to stop the ‘fun’ so suddenly.

“…Do you feel, Sehun?” The boy wondered. In fact, he had never truly thought about this with all the time they had spent together. Then again, it had only been a week.

“No, Master. I do not.”

“That’s horrible.”

To not be able to feel anything, sounded horrific to Lu Han. All the good feelings that he had himself felt his entire life was something he would never give up for anything – no amount of money, no amount of absolutely anything. For Sehun not to feel, was something he couldn’t handle. But then again, he was a robot. Robots weren’t supposed to feel.

Gulping a little, he turned to Sehun and began to wonder something.

What did the other know about feelings? Was he just an empty vessel programmed to work for someone else for the entirety of his life?

Silence engulfed them a little, until Lu Han spoke.

“Sehun, don’t you want to feel?” He asked, and the other shook his head. “But why? Why wouldn’t you want to feel emotions?”

The robot thought about his answer before speaking.

“Pain, fear, anger, hatred, sadness and betrayal. Those are emotions that I would never want to linger on my mind. I pity those who do feel them.” Sehun began explaining. “Simply as a machine I do not feel things humans do, and in a way, I am glad about that.”

Lu Han stared at him and sighed.

But that wasn’t the right way to think about that. Even though Sehun was just a machine, he deserved to at least know about different feelings.

“Those are only the negative feelings Sehun. Don’t you want to feel the good ones?” Lu Han asked, smiling at him.

“What good ones?” The robot replied.

“You know, happiness. Or joy. Trust. Anticipation.” The rich boy said, smiling as the list of emotions left his mouth. “Or the best one – love.”

“Love?”

“Yes, love. It’s the most beautiful feeling in the world. Although I have only felt it for my close friends and family, it feels amazing. When you love someone else that isn’t your family, it’s supposed to feel indifferent, explosive and intense. It’s something I’ve always wanted. That’s why I love being able to feel things.” After explaining, Sehun stared at Lu Han in wonder at how he was explaining this complex feeling.

A couple of seconds passed until Sehun said something.

Something that made Lu Han freeze a little before he gulped.

“Can you help me feel it?” Sehun asked, and Lu Han looked at the other.

“Feel what?”

“Love.”