Final

Man-Made Natural Disasters

I walk from the kitchen in my house to the living room where my two best friends are sitting, Chanyeol and Baekhyun. As soon as I sit down, I begin to listen to their conversation.

“But it’s your turn,” Chanyeol argues, flailing his arms for emphasis.

“No way, I did it this morning. It’s your turn. Mina, tell him it’s his turn to clean the kitchen,” Baekhyun retorts and tries to pull me in.

“Oh no way, I’m not getting involved in this,” I laugh and sip at my drink.

Then the lights go out suddenly and the room is plunged into darkness, shocking all three of us.

“Must be a blackout,” Baekhyun muses.

“Just make a light,” I reply, waiting for him to wave his hand and conjure up a ball of light like he always does.

“I can’t just ‘make light’, Mina. I’m not magic!” he laughs back and Chanyeol joins in the joke that I don’t get. Why doesn’t he just use his power?

“I’ll light a candle,” Chanyeol says through giggles and goes routing in the darkness for a candle. A few moments later there is still nothing.

“Chan, what’s taking so long?” Baekhyun shouts due to not knowing where our friend is.

“I can’t find a lighter,” he shouts back and I think he’s in my kitchen, shuffling through the drawers by the sound of it.

“Just make fire!” I shout to him. It’s baffling me why he doesn’t just do that in the first place.

“Mina, we’re idols, not superheroes. We don’t just have magical powers, you know!”

CRASH!

I’m woken from my blissful sleep by something hammering against my window. It takes me a moment to realise it’s the tree outside my house, branches hitting it wildly. When I look closer, there are consistent lines of rain pouring down, also battering my window pane while the tree branch takes another swing and crashes against the glass.

I know what this is. It’s Suho and Sehun. Though I’m not exactly sure why. I wave my hands towards the window and have the curtains drawn, using one of my many powers to shut out the storm. It’s not my problem, but looks like I’ll have to sort it.

The Exo boys were all given powers, but heaven knows they’re like kids with a new toy. It’s thunder storms here, floating statues there, cracks in the earth in another place, fire birds when you turn around. It’s manic.

They were given twelve powers which were spread over all of them, whereas I have all twelve to myself. Looks like I was just a little more trustworthy. Given that I’m not the one creating a hurricane on a formerly nice Sunday morning. The sky is still bright and shining blue, so anyone with half a brain knows this was Exo caused and not natural.

Using my second power of the day, I disappear from my flat to Exo’s dorm where there is utter chaos. As to be expected. I’m just the strange girl stood in my pyjamas is the corner of their living room while they all shout at each other. And by all, I mean Exo K since the other six are in China promoting. The TV is on and blaring in the background, not doing enough to shut out the sounds of hormonal boy idols. And I say ‘boy’ not ‘man’ for a reason.

From what I can deduce from the shouting and screaming and arm waving, Sehun and Suho are angry. No, not angry, upset. I hear Luhan’s name being shouted along with Lay’s, leaving me to pinpoint them as the route of the problem. On the TV is an interview by the looks of it, Exo M to be exact. And then I see what’s driven two of the boys to cause a natural disaster. Lay and Luhan are being cutesy. Luhan hanging off his friend one minute, Lay sticking his tongue out at the older a minute later, just all the sort of stuff that would lead one to believe they’re a couple. A really obvious one at that, but a couple nonetheless.

From observing these boys, I’ve learnt that them getting upset causes their powers to come into action. Which is why I’m not surprised when Baekhyun starts glowing, all candles in the room light and begin to roar huge flames and the ground below us begins to shake. It takes almost all of my effort to counter all of these things, dying down the flames and reducing the shaking to a slight shudder every now and again. I have the remote over the room and in my hand in a few seconds, shutting off the TV as I pop in the middle of their little shouting fest.

“STOP!” I shout as loud as I can, causing immediate silence in the room. “Have any of you looked around you?”

Upon seeing their little storm outside, the boys go all wide-eyed and Sehun sits down on the sofa with a soft thud.

“You people are supposed to be responsible, not this!” Chanyeol eyes up the fact that I’m still in my pyjamas, deducing it must be serious if I haven’t had time to change. “I wake up to a flood and a hurricane because your boyfriends are hugging?! You both need to get a grip. I’m sure they’re bothered by you always talking about how you two share a room, but you don’t see random thunder cracks and floating buildings whenever you have an interview, do you?!”

At this, the rain dies down to a near stop and the wind slows down too. I exhale deeply and can finally stop snuffing the powers of six boys – it’s tiring and it makes me drowsy. The candles go out, Baekhyun goes back to his normal shade of matte and the ground is still.

“Sorry,” Sehun mumbles, heading for the kitchen. “Would you like me to make you a cup of coffee?” I pout and nod like a child, frowning at him as he goes. At least when I’m childish I don’t cause natural disasters.