Crushing & Falling

Crushing & Falling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Bold - Text messages ; Italics - Flashback

(A/N- Some spellings might be different because I'm from Ireland)

From: Jihyo

Stop waiting for prince charming. Get up and find him. The poor idiot may be stuck in a tree or something :P

      I rolled my eyes and sent a sarcastic reply before slipping my phone in my pocket and continuing my walk. She’s been trying to set me up with people ever since she got herself a boyfriend. In my spare time - which I had plenty of - I usually went for walks like this in the nearby forest. I loved the tall trees with their rich green foliage and the overall sweet scent of the area. I inhaled deeply and was about to leave for home when I spotted a kitten at the base of a nearby tree. I wandered over and crouched down a couple feet from it. It mewed and I smiled gently, reaching out slowly with my hand to pet it.

“Hey kitty-” I was cut off by a loud yell and I nearly jumped out of my skin when a figure fell right next to me with a thud. My heart was hammering against my chest as I stared at the person sitting beside me. He rubbed his head and winced.

“Ch- Chanyeol!” I exclaimed, startled. He looked up and grinned as we made eye contact.

“Eunbyullie!” Chanyeol said in an excited voice his brown orbs twinkling. They were like melted chocolate, warm and addictive.

“H- hey, why were you in a tree?” I asked standing. I held out a hand to my best boy friend which he took and heaved himself up. I pulled my hand away quickly once he was standing. I hope he didn’t notice. Skinship felt… different ever since I had realised my feelings for him.

“I was trying to get that kitten down! But as soon as I got up to the branch it was on it just jumped down itself,” he said, pointing an accusing finger at the small black and white creature. I had to suppress a laugh.

“It’s not funny Eunbyul!” Chanyeol yelled noticing my amused smile. He pouted making me roll my eyes.

“You were very brave to try and save the kitty,” I teased and ruffled his reddish hair. I still found the story behind that hair colour funny. He'd been coaxed into accompanying Tao and Sehun to the hairdressers one day and when I saw him that evening his hair was no longer its natural, jet-black colour. I'd laughed for ages when I saw it and guessed what had happened.

“You really think I’m brave Eunbyullie?!” he asked me, his eyes shining with hope. I chuckled and nodded making him grin gleefully.

“Do you wanna come over?” I asked him suddenly. What can I say? I love his company plus...

“Can I? Do you have food? Will you cook for me?” he questioned eagerly. I nodded and his smile only widened. If that was even possible.

“Sure, let’s go?” I said questioningly. He nodded enthusiastically. There was suddenly a big gust of wind making me shiver. I hadn’t noticed how chilly it had gotten.

“Eunbyullie, your hands are cold! I’ll warm them up for you to say thanks for cooking for me!” Chanyeol suddenly took my hands in his big, warm ones. I felt myself heat up almost immediately.

“Ch- Chanyeol…” I said weakly, not wanting to pull away but feeling weird with the skinship at the same time.

“You really should’ve worn gloves y’know. The weather’s getting colder now,” he chided as we walked to my house. I had my left hand in my pocket and my right was interlaced with Chanyeol’s left. I tried observing him. He seemed to be acting the same as usual… Gosh, I’m an idiot. We’re best friends, skinship is normal. Holding my hand doesn’t mean anything more to him! I was too embarrassed to make conversation and strangely Chanyeol didn’t try to either. My mind drifted to Jihyo’s text from earlier.

From: Jihyo

Stop waiting for prince charming. Get up and find him. The poor idiot may be stuck in a tree or something :P

And then Chanyeol fell out of that tree… And not just any tree. The tree where I first realised my feelings for him… No. No, I’m probably just overthinking things. It’s just a coincidence.

           I decided to make him Tonkatsu, one of his favourite foods. I was making the marinade for the meat when I felt a familiar weight on my left shoulder.

“Chanyeol, you might as well sit down while you wait. Watch TV or something,” I told him. He released a sigh. His warm breath blew past the side of my face and I had to stop myself from shivering. This guy... He removed his chin from my shoulder and watched me mix the marinade for a moment.

“Can I help?” he asked suddenly. I gave him a bewildered look.

“You want to help?” I asked, unsure I’d heard right.

“Why are you so surprised?  It’s not like I never help,” he pouted.

“But you don’t,” I stated.

“Eunbyullie~,” he whined. I rolled my eyes and smiled. I give in too easily to him really… He’s just so adorable. Yikes. This crush has made me far too mushy.

“Okay. Will you make cuts in the meat for me?” I asked. He nodded keenly and began cautiously making small incisions in the meat.

“Am I doing it right?” he asked, looking uncertain. I glanced at his work.

“It looks good,” I assured him with a smile. He nodded and diligently went back to work. After, when the meat was now marinating in the fridge Chanyeol decided he also wanted to help with the salad too. I can’t say I was complaining though… As long as he doesn’t break anything that is.

            I bit my lip, holding back a smile as Chanyeol wolfed down the meal. I’m not sure I’ll ever understand how he eats so much, not to mention how he’s always hungry.  It’s always times like this, when we’re alone and there isn’t conversation between us, I think about how I don’t want to lose him. I don’t want to lose my best friend. I’m afraid some beautiful girl will come along and make him forget about me. That, or I confess and he rejects me which ruins our friendship. Of course there’s also the chance he feels the same…

“Eunbyullie!” Chanyeol half shouted making me jump in my seat.

“H- huh?” I stammered.

“You were staring into space!” he told me. I blinked.

“Was I?” I said questioningly. He rolled his eyes as he munched on some rice.

“You’re not going on some silly diet right?” he asked.

“No, why? Although I might need to if I don’t start exercising again,” I said, poking my belly which was too chubby for my liking.

“Because you’re not eating. And don’t be ridiculous! You’re perfect!” he remarked, looking as serious as I’d ever seen him. He coughed awkwardly and averted his gaze, making it seem he'd blurted the staement by accident. I felt my ears heat, as they did whenever I got embarrassed. It's a wonder I managed to keep my voice steady with my next words.

“I never knew you were such a flatterer,” I commented, putting a forkful of rice into my mouth to convince him I wasn’t suddenly dieting and refusing to eat. He seemed to approve because he moved onto a different topic then.

“Eunbyul, am I handsome?” I looked at him, alarmed.

“Where did that come from?” I’ll admit my attempt at avoiding his question was pretty weak.

“Just give me an honest opinion,” he pleaded, attempting aegyo. I wanted to laugh and tell him he looked funny- just to wind him up- but I couldn’t because my heart felt ready to burst out of my chest. Why? I don’t know why. But today I’m feeling more flustered around him than usual.

“Yeah, you are,” I muttered, keeping my face down to my food. I was embarrassed enough without having to see his probable smug reaction to my reply.

“What did you say Byullie? I didn't hear you,” he said and I recognised the playfulness behind his words.

“Shut up,” I murmured but loud enough for him to hear. That earned a full-on hearty laugh from my companion and his laugh being as cheerful as it is I couldn’t help but smile.

“Why did you ask so suddenly anyway?” I asked, as he began to calm down somewhat. He grinned.

“Well Ahn Jisoo in our class told me I was,” he started but I spoke before he could elaborate.

“She did? Why? And why are you asking my opinion anyways?” Chanyeol mustn’t have noticed the displeased tone in my voice because if he had he surely would’ve commented on it. Yes, I was annoyed although I’m not really sure I had the right to be. I, as his best  friend, don’t really have to right to dislike girls who express a romantic interest in him. As his girlfriend I would, but am I that to him? No. I’m not. But the jealousy is still there.

“I know you wouldn’t lie to me, especially if it was something that would boost my ego,” he replied with a lopsided smile.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter