Episode 3: Anger's Remedy

Yu Yu Hakusho S.C. : Dark Tournament Saga

        While following the direction that Kimika ran in, Kurama and the others reached a small clearing of scorched earth and plants. The flames that had once ravished the place before them had since vanished by the means of a large amount of water. They spread out to find a clue of the direction that she went in.

         Kurama stopped by a nearby tree and place his hand on its bark. He could feel her energy. It was very strong. He could see her using her strongest attack to put out the fire. Then he saw her running deeper into the forest in the direction of the shore.

         “Hey, Kurama. What are you doing?” Kuwabara asked while he watched Kurama.

         “He is using a form of telepathy to see his sister’s actions. Since this place is crawling with her spirit energy. He can most likely see a clearer picture of her movements in this area.” Hiei answered while following behind Kurama as he began to move again.

         “Oh Cool. But how come he is the only one who can do that?” asked Yusuke. He walked behind the others just in case they were attacked from behind.

         “Because it is one of the unique talents possessed by twins of mystical creatures. With a power like that, we should find his sister in no time.” Answered the masked fighter.

         As they went deeper into the forest, they began to see the flames and feel the heat of the fire. Hiei began to hear a faint heartbeat in his head. It was slowing by every minute. Then he heard a soft cry also. It was Kimika’s voice. She was nearby and she was dying.

         Hiei could see where the flames and the creak began to meet. He ran over to it. The others were confused by his actions. Kurama grabbed his arm and stopped him before he headed into the flames. He turned towards Kurama.

         “Let go of me. Kimika is in there. I can feel her presence. It’s very faint, Kurama. We have to hurry now before she dies.”

         Once he said those words everyone ran down the path of flames. When they reached half way down the path, they noticed that there was something laying on the ground by the end of the creak. As they drew closer, they saw that it was Kimika.

         Kurama and Hiei ran as fast as they could to be by her side. Kurama scooped her up in his arms then he brought her to a clearing nearby that was free of the flames. He could tell by looking at her that she had inhaled too much smoke.

         He placed her against a nearby tree so she could breathe some fresh air. Kurama knelt by her side and watched her closely as she slept. She seemed very peaceful as she slept, but her peaceful state couldn’t quell the fear that ran through him.

         It was too close. He couldn’t have lost her permanently if they had reached her even a few moments later. He didn’t know what he would have done if that had happened. He had just been reunited with her. He didn’t want to lose her ever again.

         Botan saw how closely he was staying by his sister. She could see the love that he had for her deep in his eyes. She could see how much he cared for her by the gentle way he touch her. It was a side that she had never seen in him before. A side that was extremely admirable to her.

         Botan walked to the other side of Kimika and placed her bag next to her.

         “Don’t worry, Kurama. Your sister will be fine. She is a very brave and strong girl.” Botan smiled softly as she sat next to Kimika.

         “I’m not worried. I’m more scared than worried. You saw how she acted earlier. She will most likely freak out again when she sees me. That is what I am scared of. She might be tough, but she hasn’t been around demons for a very long time. She won’t be strong enough to protect herself if she runs into one after running away from me.” Kurama wiped the soot off Kimika’s face with a cloth that he possessed. He knew that it was a blessing that he saw her, but it was going to be a challenge to keep her out of trouble.

         “Sorry to bother you, but we aren’t alone.” The masked fighter said. The masked fight was facing a grove of trees that were on the opposite side of the opening.

         Hiei, Yusuke, and Kuwabara circled around the tree where Kimika was. Kurama joined them so he could protect her from whatever the threat was. He turned back towards Botan who was wrapping her arms around Kimika in protection.

         “Whatever happens make sure that you get her out of here safely.” Botan shook her head yes in response as she held the unconscious girl tighter.

         “So I finally found you, Spirit Detective. I caught you and your buddies in the act. Let me guess. Are you going to murder this girl like you murdered my beloved?” A beautiful woman with long black hair and a rich brown eyes appeared in front of the trees. She was adorned in a long pearl silk gown with giant jewels over her chest and belly.

         Everyone could feel their guard slowly beginning to fade away as she made her way towards them. Yusuke looked the woman over as she moved closer. He couldn’t recognize her. How did she know him? And who was the beloved she spoke of?

         “I don’t know who you are, lady, but I think you have the wrong guy. I didn’t kill your boyfriend.”

         “You are so ruthless. How quickly you forget those you murder. Maybe I should remind you of my Suzaku who you killed!!” The woman jumped in the air and hurled a lightning bolt towards them.

         They all jumped out of the way, but the impact of the blast sent them flying. All of them turned to where Kimika was to see if she was okay. Botan had put a shield around them protecting them from the debris that was flying through the air.

         “Look, lady. I don’t know who you are, but I would be glad to reunite you with Suzaku in the Spirit World!”

         Fury filled Yusuke as he prepared himself to fight her. He watched as the woman looked over toward Kimika then he noticed her expression change. She seemed to be shocked about something. She was interested in Kimika. But why?

         The others must have noticed her expression too because in a second they were blocking her way so she couldn’t reach Kimika. The woman rushed through them knocking them off their feet with an immense energy. They tried to stop her as she passed them, but she formed an invisible force field that deflected all their attacks.

         When she reached the tree, Botan stood up in front of Kimika stretching out her arms out to her sides to try and stop the woman. Fear filled her as the woman floated before her. She stared at her beautiful brown eyes and she could feel the fear slowly melt away. Something was wrong with her. She couldn’t understand how the woman was making her feel like that.

         She felt her arms begin to lower as she saw the woman smile. She had a strong hold over her. She had no control of her own movements. What was she? There were only a few creatures in all the worlds that had such an ability, which one was she.

         “Botan, close your eyes! Her hold can’t affect you if you close your eyes!” The masked fighter yelled as he tried to get back on his feet.

         The moment that Botan closed her eyes, she could move her arms once more. Yusuke took the chance to attack her from behind. He tackled her away from Botan.

         “Get away from Kimika!!” Yusuke yelled as they hit the ground.

         The woman quickly broke his hold and turned around seething in anger. Before Yusuke could block himself, she sent him flying with a strong kick in his abdomen. As her anger increased, the jewels on her dress glowed bright red.

        She formed a ball of fire in her right hand. Then she formed a ball of ice in her other hand. She spun around quickly as the two energies began to fuse in her hands. Kurama and Hiei recognized the attack immediately so they jumped in front of Yusuke.

       “You realize who she is. Don’t you?” Kurama looked at Hiei as he spoke. The fear could be seen clearly in his eyes.

       Hiei nodded yes while drawing his sword. “I never thought that I’d see her in my life, but if it’s true what they say then we are all doomed.”

       Yusuke stood up while grasping his abdomen in pain. “Who is this woman?”

       “She is Makoto, the goddess of the elements. From what I’ve heard, she has gone rogue and has been on a demon hunting spree. She is very powerful. You can tell by the destruction we found on the way here. I have no doubt that she was the cause of it.” Kurama explained while walking over to Yusuke and helping him maintain his balance.

      “Let go of me. Goddess or no goddess. I’m going to kick her .” Yusuke yelled while pushing out of Kurama’s grasp. Yusuke couldn’t move much because the pain from his abdomen was too great, so he tried his best not to collapse.

     “Don’t be a fool! You are no match for her!” Hiei said angrily.

     Just then Makoto’s forbidden bond blast came hurling towards them. They moved out the direct path of the blast, but the pulsating energy coming from it sent them flying anyway.

     Even after the attack dispersed, Yusuke felt as though his skin was on fire and freezing at the same time. The pain was excruciating. If that attack had hit him straight on, he would have been dead.

    She was so powerful and fast. There was no way that he could defeat her or safe his friends. He looked around to see the aftermath of her assault. Kurama and Hiei were badly hurt while the masked fighter and Kuwabara were unconscious. It was clear that they were overwhelmed by her attack like he was.

    Yusuke tried to move when he saw her growing closer to Kimika, but he was in too much pain. He couldn’t let Makoto hurt her, but what could he do. Anger filled him causing him to punch the ground with the last of his strength.

    “Kimika! No! Get away from her!”

    Makoto turned around at the sound of Yusuke’s voice. A dark pleasure surged through her as she watched the spirit detective on the ground in agony. She smirked with a devilish grin. She couldn’t believe how easy it was to defeat that fool. How he defeated her precious Suzaku? She couldn’t understand.

   Koenma had picked a weak pathetic fool as spirit detective. Once she takes Kimika somewhere safe, she’ll return to destroy him and his pesky little friends. She turned back around to continue towards Kimika, but she was stopped by Kurama.

   “Stay away from her.” Kurama said pulling out a red rose.

   Makoto let out a loud laugh. “Please, Kurama. What will you do? You can’t hurt me by yourself.”

Kurama knew that she was right. Also with her strange hold starting to affect him, he would be useless. He had to protect his sister regardless. She meant more to him than his own life. He wouldn’t let her be killed not.

“He is not alone. I will help him take you down myself.” Kurama saw Hiei teleport behind her. His sword was ready in hand to attack her. Makoto turned around and laughed.

“I wonder… Do you and Kurama have a death wish? Huh, Hiei?” Makoto sneered while walking towards Kurama.

She was fascinated by the bravery of this demon. She couldn’t understand why he would risk his life for hers. But it amused her at his feeble attempts to stop her.

Kurama brought out his rose whip readying himself so that he could kill her. He waited until she came close before he attacked her. Unfortunately, his attack was deflected by her shield. She continued to draw near him slowly while smiling with her eyes closed.

As the gorgeous goddess came closer, his body stiffened. She opened her eyes only to look at him once as she passed. The enchanting look in her eyes sent his heart astray. He began to forget his purpose why he was standing there. He could feel his feet moving out of her way to let her pass.

Hiei wanted to stop her, but the effect of Makoto’s beauty was affecting him too. He was hopeless and helpless. He couldn’t move or talk. She paralyzed him.

Kurama was frustrated because he was going to watch as she killed his sister. He couldn’t even stop her. Why? Why couldn’t she just kill him instead?

He watched as she made her way by Botan. Then she knelt down to Kimika’s side. She felt Kimika’s forehead with the back of her hand. Then she put her ear to . After a few moments, she smiled softly.

‘She’s alive. Thank the stars.’ She thought gently as she held Kimika close to her. She embraced her gently as she felt all her fear melt and relief replace it. She was very happy that she was alright. She thought they had harmed her or worse killed her.

Kimika opened her eyes slowly when she felt the warmth of someone’s embrace. She looked up to see Makoto smiling down at her. Kimika’s face lit up with joy when she saw her. She jumped up and embraced her friend warmly.

“Makoto, I’m so glad to see you. What are you doing here?”

Makoto hugged her back. Then she pushed her away and crossed her arms as she stared at her in aggravation.

“You have the nerve to ask me that! Especially when you are the one laying down unconscious in one of the most dangerous forests in the world! You know that you were almost going to be killed!” Makoto yelled at Kimika angrily. “What are you doing here anyway?”

Kimika smiled sheepishly. “I don’t know. I actually don’t remember.”

Kurama and the others couldn’t believe what was happening. Kimika and Makoto knew one another. But how?

They also seemed to be very close friends by their actions. They looked on at the two of them in shock. They had thought that she was in trouble, but actually Makoto was just trying to save her from them.  

“What do you mean that you don’t know? You idiot! What did you do lose your memory or something?” Makoto yelled in annoyance at Kimika’s flighty behavior.

“No. Not all of it. I just can’t remember how I got here.”

Makoto sighed as she saw Kimika’s huge smile. She couldn’t understand how she could smile so much especially when there was a possible chance that she could have amnesia. She never seemed to be serious regardless of the circumstances. Why? She couldn’t understand.

“I’ll take you to get examined, but first I’m going to destroy these guys who kidnapped you first.”

         “Kidnapped me?...”

Kimika looked over Makoto’s shoulder to see Kurama and Hiei standing behind them. Her heart sank. It was her brother. The memories of her arrival were becoming clearer at that moment. She felt hurt, pain, heartache, and tears return to her.

The tears warmed her cheeks as they flowed slowly down her face. She turned her face so Makoto couldn’t see them. But it was too late. She had already seen the first tear fall.

“Kimika, what’s wrong?” Makoto asked touching her shoulder in concern.

“Please spare them, Makoto.” Kimika cried softly. “Those guys are my friends. Also the one called Kurama is my brother. I know that I owe you my life, but may you spare them. Please. I beg you.”

Makoto was in shock at Kimika’s words. Kurama was her brother and the others were her friends. The ones that she came to kill. The same who took away the life of her precious Suzaku.

Makoto stood up and walked away from her. She closed her eyes facing the wind to let it caress her face as she replayed Kimika’s words in her mind. What was she going to do? She couldn’t let them get away with what they had done. But Kimika was her only true friend. If she killed her brother and friends, she would lose her friendship forever. Kimika would hate her. But if she let them, she would be betraying her beloved, Suzaku. Which was more important the love of her friend or avenging the death of her lover?

Kimika watched Makoto as she just stood there. A few minutes passed before she turned to face her. She smiled half- heartedly.

“Did you know that I never repaid you fully for your kindness the other day? So I will repay you now. I will spare your brother and friends, but…” She turned towards where Yusuke was laying down in agony. “This is not over, Urameshi! If you cross me again, then I won’t hesitate to kill you! Not even Kimika’s pleas will save you!”

Hiei, Botan, Kurama, and Yusuke watched the goddess as she began to glow. She began to glow different shades of greens, blues, yellows, reds, and whites. The lights absorbed her completely until they couldn’t see her for a while. It took ten minutes before they could see her again.

She was dressed casually in blue jeans and a white tank top. Her hair was much shorter than before. She also seemed to be much younger than she appeared before. As she slid on a black jacket, she looked over to Kimika and smiled.

She turned to look at Botan, who was staring at her in shock at her new appearance. Her smile grew when she noticed her expression. Then she began to laugh in amusment.

“What’s the matter, grim reaper? You act like you’ve never seen a beautiful fifteen year old girl before.”

Makoto looked at the others noticing that they also had expressions of shock on their face. Her laughter increased when she saw that Kimika was shocked too. The reason for her amusement was a mystery to everyone else, but she liked that it was.

She had forgotten how her goddess and demon transformations could be a little misleading. It made her look much older than she actually was. When in truth, she was only fifteen years old.

“Ahhhh… Koto, you look so cute! I never knew that you were only fifteen!” Kimika cooed in marvel of her friend’s true form. She had never had the chance to see her true form before because she only stayed in one of her other forms the other day.

Makoto began to blush at her compliments. Then she looked away in embarrassment.

“I am. But that doesn’t matter. I’m still older than you!” Makoto snapped sharply.

 

As Makoto and Kimika were going back and forth. The masked fighter and Kuwabara regained consciousness. Kuwabara sat up while scanning the area around them for the woman who attacked them. He looked at Yusuke and the others as their gaze was stuck on Kimika as she was arguing with some girl.

“Hey guys, did we win? Did you beat that woman?” Kuwabara asked noticing that she wasn’t there anymore.

“I know you are an idiot and are not used to using your brain. But if your eyes are still working, then you’ll notice that she is right over there.” Hiei sneered pointing to the beautiful girl with black hair who was with Kimika.

“Her? She’s beautiful, but isn’t she younger than the woman from before? Man, how long have we been out?” Kuwabara rubbed his head as he stood up.

Makoto looked over to Kuwabara when she heard his words. She couldn’t believe that they were slowly beginning to recover. She looked back over to Kimika and grabbed her by the back of head dragging her along behind her.

“Come now, Kimika. I’m getting you away from this place. I’m taking you home first thing in the morning. Got that!”

“Uh – Uh. I can’t leave. I won’t. Not now.” Kimika pushed away her hand then turned back to look at her brother. ‘I found him at last. I won’t lose him again.’

Hiei heard her thoughts then looked at Kimika with understanding. Poor Kimika. She was hurting so much. He could sense the pain that she felt. She was filled with so much loneliness and sorrow. She missed Kurama deeply, but she was too angry at him to tell him.

Hiei had known Kimika for a while. He knew more about her than anyone else. She had always been a kind hearted, cheerful girl. But even the kindest of people could become completely empty after heartache. Even someone like Kimika, who was the kindest girl in the world.

“Kimika, you airhead. Don’t you see the danger that is all around you! Do you want to die?” Makoto’s voice rang through Kimika’s head loud as temple bells, but she didn’t care. She just stuck her tongue out then turned her head away from her.

“I can take care of myself.” Kimika turned away from Makoto and headed towards Botan. She picked up her book bag then walked away.

“Hey… Hey… Where do you think you are going?” Botan ran over to Kimika, grabbing her arm before she could get any further.

Kimika didn’t answer her. She only looked back at her. Botan saw the sadness that laid in her soft emerald eyes. Kimika was on the verge of tears. She couldn’t understand what was troubling her so much.

“Wait, Kimika. Please. It is dangerous to go by yourself.” Botan said with concern. She looked back at Kurama begging her to stop her. However, before he could say anything, Kimika snatched away her arm.

“I don’t need him to stop me! I don’t want him anywhere near me!”

Kurama could feel his heart begin to falter at her words. He couldn’t believe how much she hated him. He had never saw so much hate especially in her.

Her eyes that were once full of warmth and love had grown cold with hate. She was no longer the sister that he loved so dearly. This girl was a stranger.

He watched as Kimika began to run back into the forest. He ran after her. Makoto and Hiei soon followed after him.

 

They ran back the way that they had come hoping it was the direction Kimika went. When there was no sign of her at all, they stopped and waited for the others to catch up. Makoto floated a few feet above the ground and sat in the air next to Kurama.

“I never thought in a million years that I would be joining together with demons especially the demons who are friends of my greatest enemy. Too bad that you are because you aren’t bad looking.”

“Why don’t you shut up and stop your irrelevant rambling. Can you not be a little bit more concerned? His sister is out there somewhere alone without anyone to protect her.” Hiei snapped.

Makoto was surprised to see the anger building up in Hiei for the sake of Kimika. It was strange. Why would he be upset about her? She wasn’t his sister.

“Look, Shorty. I am just as concerned as you are. But can you really blame her for how she is acting? I wouldn’t worry so much about her. The girl is very tough when she needs to be.”

Hiei looked away from her in annoyance. He couldn’t believe how such a strong fighter like her could be so incredibly insufferable. She was like a female version of that big oaf Kuwabara. He liked her better when she was trying to kill them.

Makoto could sense the tension Hiei was giving off towards her. She was going to leave and return to the hotel until she saw something lighting up in her pocket. She reached her hand inside and pulled out a crystal.

Kuwabara and Hiei looked at the glowing crystal in her hand in wonder.

“What’s that?” asked Kurama.

“Just a charm.” Makoto shoved the crystal back into her pocket before heading back into the woods. Before she left, she turned toward Hiei and Kurama smiling. “I’ll check in the woods for her. You should check in the hotel in case she found her way there. She most likely hasn’t gone far. She is probably still weak from earlier.”

Makoto flew deeper into the forest. She flew past a few open groves until she found one that was far from where she had been. She landed in the middle of it. She scanned the area to make sure that no one was following her. She scanned the trees and the surrounding bushes. She tried to raise her awareness to sense for any peculiar energies. 

Nothing. She was safe to use the crystal. She had almost forgotten about the crystal pendant she had given to Kimika. The crystal pendant should lead her straight to wherever Kimika was. She remembered seeing the pendant around her neck earlier. All she had to do was use her crystal to find where she was.

Makoto pulled out the crystal watching it as it began to glow rapidly. After a few seconds, the light stopped to form an arrow pointing northwest of her current position. She floated back in the air and flew in the direction that the arrow was pointing.

The arrow led Makoto to the tournament stadium. She looked around, but couldn’t see anyone of importance. Maybe the crystal wasn’t working properly. She probably damaged it in the fight with Yusuke and his little lackys.

Makoto was going to crush the crystal in annoyance, but she picked up a strange noise coming from the nearby beach. Makoto pushed the crystal back in her pocket then she went over to go check out the sound.

On the shore, Makoto hid behind a huge rock as she listened to the sound of crying coming from nearby. She peeked from behind the rock to see a girl kneeling on the sand. Her head was down in her chest with her fists tightening as she cried softly.

It was Kimika. Makoto immediately ran to her side and tightly embraced her in her arms. She rubbed her head slowly as she soothed her crying friend.

Makoto wanted to string her up for running away like that, but she could tell that the poor girl had enough to worry about so she quelled her own worry and frustration. Makoto didn’t know why Kimika was so upset, but she wanted to do everything in her power to help comfort her friend.

“Why, Makoto? Why would he leave like that and not keep his promise?” Kimika buried her tears into Makoto’s chest letting all the pain pour out of her. Her cries grew louder as she looked up at Makoto.

“Does he hate me and my mother so much? Is that stupid mother of his more important to him than us?”

“Now… Now… Kimika, you know that isn’t true. I don’t know him that well, but I can tell that he loves you deeply.” Said Makoto as she met Kimika’s gaze. She looked down at her and brought her closer. “Kimika, I could see the pain deep in his eyes when I saw him. I believe that he is deeply sorry for whatever he has done. You might want to fix things between you two and hear him out.”

Kimika pushed away from her and turned away in anger. “No. I will not. He is dead to me as he has been for these past months. He doesn’t exist.” She looked down at the sand beneath her, letting the waterfall of tears continue to fall. “He doesn’t exist to me. Just like me and my mother didn’t exist to him.”

“Kimika…” She knew that nothing she said would convince Kimika otherwise so she tried to change the subject.

“Please stop crying. How about you go back to my room so you can take a nice warm shower, change into some fresh clothes, eat something, and get some rest. Then in the morning, we will decide what we will do then. Okay?”

Kimika turned back to face Makoto. She wiped her face and shook her head in agreement. The two girls stood up and headed back towards Kubikukuri.

 

Once the two girls had left, a shadow lurking behind a tree came into the light. Unknown to the girls, Kurama and Hiei had followed Makoto and overheard the entire conversation. Hiei saw the down casted look that was on Kurama’s face. He could also hear the thoughts that filled his head.

“Give her time, Kurama. If Kimika is the same as she’s always been, then she won’t stay angry at you for long.”

“I’m not sure. This time is different than any other time that she has been mad at me. I never saw so much anger and hate in her before. I don’t believe that anything will change.”

Hiei turned back towards the direction of the hotel and started heading back. Kurama saw that he was leaving so he ran after him. He walked beside him looking at him in confusion.

“Where are you going, Hiei?”

Hiei closed his eyes as he continued walking into the forest without acknowledging his words. Kurama grabbed his arm to stop him from leaving. When he did that, Hiei looked back at him sharply.

“Next time you grab me like that, it will be your last. I’m going to catch up with an old friend. You can go back to room all I care. I don’t think that it would be wise for you to come.”

Kurama released Hiei’s arm and just watched him disappear into the treetops. He knew that Hiei was arrogant and stubborn, but for some reason all of those traits disappeared when it came to Kimika. He wanted to be alone with her, but he couldn’t understand why.

 

Makoto convinced Kimika to take a hot bath to help her relax while she took her clothes to the laundry room to be washed. She materialized a pair of rubber gloves, put them on, and placed the soot covered clothes in a small white bag. She tied the bag up tightly and headed out the door. When she opened the door, she found Hiei and Kurama standing outside.

Makoto stood in the threshold surprised to see the two demons waiting outside her room. She looked down the corridors to see the other ritzy guests staring at them. She could tell by the way they were staring that they disapproved of them. She stepped aside waving them inside the room.

Once they were inside, she locked the door sighing in relief. She was already praised for killing off thousands of demons. If they saw her talking to some demons especially the most hated ones at the tournament, all the fear she earned would be gone.

Hiei looked at her in disgust as he read her thoughts. He couldn’t believe that this girl was actually the legendary goddess of the elements, Rika Makoto.

“Don’t worry. We aren’t here to talk to you. We are here to speak to Kimika.”

“What? Did you just read my mind, Punk?” Makoto yelled angrily at Hiei while forming a fist with her empty hand. Hiei closed his eyes and looked away refusing to acknowledge her questions.

“Ughh… Oh ok, Shorty. You don’t have to answer me, but I don’t think it’s a good time for you to see her. She isn’t feeling well.”

“I’m not leaving until I talk to her.” Hiei stated plainly. Makoto knew that there was no point in arguing with him. She shrugged her shoulders in defeat and turned away from them to open the door.

“Fine, little man. You can stay, but your friend has to go. She is in a frail state and seeing you won’t help her at all.”

Kurama looked at her with sadness embedded in his eyes. Makoto looked back to meet his gaze and that’s when he saw something buried in her brown eyes. He could see pity and understanding. She quickly turned away from his gaze and opened the door. She held the door open so he could follow behind her.

Once they were in the hallway, Makoto touched Kurama on the shoulder before he left. Kurama turned around to face her. When he met her eyes, he could see concern emanating from them.

“I’m sorry, Kurama, for everything you are going through. I know that my first instinct was to kill you. But after seeing your true feelings, I see the truth. You are not as bad as your reputation claims at least when it comes to your sister.”

“Why are you telling me this?” Kurama asked softly. Makoto saw the suspicion that was in his eyes. She withdrew her hand from his shoulder smiling warmly.

“You don’t trust me. I understand, but know that I am only saying this because I want to help you. Mostly because I hate seeing Kimika like this. I also want to help you because I think that I am developing a fascination in you.”

Kurama looked at her surprised. “Why are you fascinated in me?”

Makoto blushed as she saw his enchanting green eyes staring at her once more waiting to hear her answer. She turned from him almost instantly once she begin to feel the heat color her cheeks. She closed her eyes as she started to walk away refusing to answer him.

She couldn’t believe how heartless she was being. How could she fall for this demon when he was the reason that her beloved Suzaku died? He wasn’t actually the real reason, but he was a part of it. She tried to quicken her steps, but Kurama caught up to her. He turned her around making her face him.

“You don’t need to answer my question. But will you please explain how you plan to help me?”

Makoto could tell by the expression on his face that he desperately wanted to know. She smiled once more while placing her hand on top of his hand.

“We’ll see how your friend, Hiei, fairs with his conversation. I suspect that he has more to talk to her about than lost times. Once they are done talking, I will bring you there to speak with her. While we wait, would you mind joining me for a walk?”

Kurama looked at her surprised. First, she told him that she was intrigued with him. Then she decided that she wants to help him get back on his sister’s good side. Now, she wanted to go for a walk with him. Was she really only doing all of this for Kimika? Or did she want something else from him?

 

Hiei sat on the ledge by the window looking out at the dark waves of the ocean as he waited for Kimika. He looked up at the stars and the moon that were shining upon the night. Hiei couldn’t forget how much she had changed and grown since he had seen her last.

She was so beautiful even in her human form. He knew that she was Kurama’s twin, but the two of them were completely different. It was only by the ruby color of her hair and the deep green of her eyes could a resemblance be seen. She looked so innocent and pure when he was holding her before. Even when he saw her crying, she seemed so small and fragile. To see her like that gave him a desire that he thought he would never feel again.

He wanted to embrace her once more. He wanted to stare into her eyes once more. He wanted to see the innocence that he loved so much in her.

Hiei was so caught up in his own thoughts that he didn’t notice Kimika when she came out of the bathroom. She was drying her hair when she saw Hiei by the window. She smiled as she saw her old friend waiting for her. She couldn’t believe how much he hadn’t changed. It was as if time never moved forward.

She remembered how he would show up out of nowhere as she walked home. She also remembered how he would always call her by her demon name, Kara. It took her months to convince him to call her Kimika. He was so stubborn, but that never stopped him from showing his true feelings some of the time. She could always tell how much he cared by how protective he was of her.

“Hiei, you are waiting for me? Aren’t you?” Kimika asked while she placed her towel to the side and walked over to him.

“Kimi, Of course I am. I waited to see you since it’s been such a long time since we’ve last seen each other.” Hiei smiled gently. “I’ve missed you a lot.”

Kimika crossed her arms, looked away, and pouted. “Please, Hiei. I can’t believe that you actually missed me. If that was true, then why didn’t you come see me?”

“I couldn’t come see you because both your brother and I had to work for the Spirit World. You know that I would never tell you that I missed you if I didn’t mean it.”

“Hnnn… Don’t make excuses for my brother!” Kimika snapped angrily.

“You should know me better than that. You know that I wouldn’t make up excuses. I wouldn’t lie to you.” Hiei said softly while crossing his arms and closing his eyes. “I think that you should give Kurama another chance. I believe that’s what your mother wanted.”

“What my mother wanted? What do you mean?” Kimika looked at Hiei surprised.

“Didn’t you think the way you arrived was peculiar? I read your mind. I saw what happened. Don’t you think it was weird that your mother gave you a bag full of clothes and sent you exactly where the portal was? Knowing Kitinia, she meant for you to come here and be with Kurama. She most likely wanted you to find him and fix your relationship.”

“I don’t believe you. She wouldn’t do that without telling me first.” Kimika looked down away from him. She knew that he was making complete sense, but she couldn’t believe that her mother would trick her like that.

“Don’t be dense, Kimi. You know that I’m right.” Hiei turned to face her. His expression was serious and stern.

“Stop it!” Kimika yelled running over to Hiei crying profusely. She flew into his arms banging on his chest. “Stop reading my mind, Hiei! You don’t know about all the pain that I’ve felt in this past year! The loneliness… the fear… the emptiness! With your telepathic power, did you know all of that, Hiei?!”

She finally collapsed into his chest crying heavier by each second. Hiei wrapped his left arm around her holding her to console her. He wished that he could use his other hand to fully embrace her, but it was still in too much pain.

“Kimika, I didn’t know. But you weren’t the only one hurting. I know for a fact that Kurama has been suffering just as much as you.” Hiei looked down at her and rubbed her head softly. “Please forgive him, Kimi. I promise that you’ll feel much better if you do.”

She looked up at him wide-eyed. Her eyes were red from her tears. She knew Hiei too well. He never cared much when it came to helping others even her brother. But there he was helping him by convincing her to forgive him. She couldn’t understand why. She was grateful that he was. She nodded in agreement. As she did so, Hiei wiped away her tears with his hand.

Hiei smiled down at her and she met his warm expression with one of her own. She wrapped her arms around him squeezing him tightly. That was when she noticed that he wasn’t using his right arm. She pushed herself away. She observed it closely and was going to touch it, but he grabbed her hand.

“Hiei, what happened to you?” Kimika asked with deep concern.

“That is the result of the first round of the Dark Tournament and my Dragon of the darkness flame attack.” Hiei answered wryly. “I will be fine. Don’t worry, Kimi.”

Kimika placed her hand on his cheek. The warmth of her touch causing him to blush slightly. She looked deep into his eyes. That was when she saw the truth. She could see and feel the pain that he tried to suppress. She looked at him with soft sincerity and said.

“I wish that I could heal you. I hate it when you are in pain. It kills me to feel your pain and know that this is what you are really going through.”

Hiei had forgotten about Kimika’s empathic powers. He moved her hand from his face so she wouldn’t be able to see or feel his pain. He then kissed her softly on the cheek.

“I don’t want you to ever feel the pain that I am feeling.”

Kimika blushed redly at his caring words. She hugged him once again. “Hiei… I’ve missed you so much.”

Hiei smiled as he held her close. Kimika settled her head into his chest smiling from ear to ear. She missed having Hiei around. He was the only one who she could really talk to. He was the only one who really understood her. He was her best friend and she cared about him very much. Whatever was to happen from that moment on, she wasn’t going to lose him ever again.

 

The rhythmic clashing of the waves could be heard as Makoto and Kurama walked down the beach. The stars and the moon shined their brilliant light upon them as they talked. Makoto had just finished telling him how his sister and she met. She also told him how much she had enjoyed the company of their mother, Kitinia.

“A beautiful woman that she is. At first, I thought that she was Kimika’s sister by her youthful appearance. It shocked me to learn that she was actually her mother.” Makoto laughed softly. “Kitinia is just as flighty as your sister. There was no doubt when I met her that they were related.”

“Kitinia, my sprite mother. Without her, I would have never had a second chance to live. She is such a strong and caring being. It takes a lot for her to smile and act jolly after all she has sacrificed. I couldn’t imagine what she went through after having to give me up. Tell me. Did she look well when you saw her?” He looked at the waves that were rolling closer to them. Makoto looked at Kurama in surprise at his concern and compassion.

“She was very well. Don’t worry. You should go visit her.” Makoto answered smiling gently.

Kurama’s expression became sullen and sad at her words. “I cannot until this tournament is over. I have to help the spirit detective. It’s part of my parole.”

“Parole?”

“Yes. Hiei and I are on parole by Koenma. We took part in a theft of King Enma’s vault. Now, instead of being severely punished, we must help Yusuke in various missions. That is why I wasn’t able to see Kimika or my mother, Kitinia.”

“If that is the reason for you absence, then why haven’t you explained that to Kimika and your mother? They would understand if you did.”

Kurama shook his head no. “I’m not going to tell them. You really don’t know Kimika that well. If she found out the real reason, she would never talk to me again. I would rather lie to her and build a strong bond with her once more. Only after that, would I feel comfortable revealing the truth to her.”

Makoto crossed her arms as she closed her eyes in disappointment. “Hmmmph… You are a fool, Kurama. What if she discovers the truth beforehand?”

Kurama looked at her with an eyebrow raised. “Hiei won’t tell her the truth. No one else knows except you…”

“And how do you know that I won’t tell her?” Makoto asked mischievously with a small smirk. She looked up at him and noticed that a small smile creeping across his face. He face her moving slowly closer to her as his gentle gaze kept her hypnotized.

Makoto started to blush as he gently grabbed her arms pulling her closer to him. She could feel her heart beat quickening and more heat began to rush to her cheeks. She felt his arms wrap around her body closing the little distance that they had between them. As if responding on its own, her arms wrapped around his neck.

A warm smile crossed his face as he looked down into her eyes. Makoto could feel his gentle breath as he sealed the final gap between them. Her actions were no longer her own as she closed her eyes in acceptance to whatever he was going to do.

With one strong pull against her back, Kurama pressed his lips against hers. The intensity in his kiss was so overwhelming that she felt weak in his arms. The passion emanated from him like a blazing flame that had finally been reunited with the air. He was holding her with such possession that any resistance she had was completely useless.

Her heart jumped by the emotions that were beginning to race inside her. She could feel the heat of a tear forming in her tear duct. It had been a long time since she kissed someone with such passion. The last person that made her feel such a way was Suzaku.

Her tears fell down her cheeks as painful memories replayed in her mind. Kurama noticed that she was crying and immediately stopped their kiss.

“Makoto, I’m sorry. Did I offend you?” Kurama asked softly as he wiped away the tears that fell down her cheek. It had been an impulsive move, but he didn’t believe that it would affect her so much.

“No. You did not. I’m sorry, but I believe that it is time for you to return to the hotel so you can speak to Kimika.” Makoto pushed herself out of his reach. She floated up in the air and turned to leave.

“Makoto, Wait.” Kurama called after Makoto before she could take off.

“Don’t worry, Kurama. Your secret is safe with me. That is why you stopped me? Right?”

Regardless of how Makoto tried to hide it, Kurama noticed her wiping her face with her hand. She was still crying and upset. He still didn’t know or understand why. He wanted to know what was wrong.

“No, Makoto. That is not why I stopped you. I want to know if you are alright. Please. Tell me. Why are you crying?”

“I’m fine. Leave me be.”

With those final words, Makoto disappeared leaving Kurama alone. Kurama stood there staring in confusion at the place that Makoto once was. Was she being polite and hiding the fact that he really did offend her? Or was there something else… something deeper that made the beautiful goddess cry?

 

A knock sounded on the door of Makoto’s room. Kimika, who was observing the strange box her mother gave her, walked over and answered it. Her eyes grew wide as she saw Kurama standing there. Her pride and anger wanted her to close the door, but her heart wanted something contrary to their desires. It wanted her to remember the promise that she had made to Hiei so she let him inside.

She walked over to the couch and sat down next to him. She turned towards him taking that moment to see his true feelings without using her powers. She wanted to know if it was true what Hiei had said. She wanted to know if he really felt the same way that she had felt in their time apart.

There in his eyes were the same feelings that she had felt. The emptiness…the loneliness… all the heartaches… They were all there. She could feel tears begin to fill the brim of her eyes. She touched his chest with her hand. Then she took his hand and placed it over her heart.

“This is your heart and this is my heart. No matter where we go or how long we part, we will always be happy for we are in each other’s hearts.” When she spoke those words, Kurama could feel his eyes begin to tear as well. “Remember… I told you that every time you left. First, when mom sent your spirit into your human mother’s body. Then, a year ago. Now, I’m telling you again. However, I hope that I will never have to tell you that again. For I don’t want us to part ever again.”

Kurama nodded his head in agreement before embracing her lovingly. He kissed her forehead.

“No one will ever part us again, Kimi. I won’t ever leave you or mom ever again.” Kurama spoke softly. Words couldn’t explain the emotions that were exploding in his heart at that moment. He used all his strength to press her against his body so she wouldn’t leave him. “I promise you. You will never feel that pain again.”

Kimika let her tears flow free as she hugged her brother back in pure joy. “Big Brother, I love you.”

Kurama kissed her once more on the top of her head as his own tears of joy fell down his face. “Kimi, I love you too.”