CHAPTER 5: Slightly Disappointed

Or So I Thought

The week past by unknowingly fast. Must be because Kaila was drowning herself with school work every day that she hasn’t noticed it was Friday already.

 

*beep beep beep*

*beep beep beep*

 

The sound of a car horn gave Kaila a mini heart attack. She knew their chauffer was there to fetch her. As she was stuffing the last dirty shirt inside the laundry bag, a knock on her room door was heard.

“Hey K, your chauffer is waiting outside.” It was Ms. Tess, one of the dorm marshals. She was the one who was there when Kaila’s parents settled her at the dormitory a few days before her first day of college a year ago.

“Yeah yeah. I’ll be right out. Thanks.” The girl respectfully responded.

“No problem. Have a safe trip home, okay. I’ll see you next week.” Ms. Tess said with a smile before shutting the door.

Kaila can’t help but smile for she was thankful that Ms. Tess was being so nice to her. It felt good to be treated nicely given the fact that it was hard enough for Kaila as it is, that she has to live far from home just to study.

 

Two hours later, they safely arrived home. The chauffer helped Kaila unload her things from the car. And just in time, when she entered the house, it was time for dinner already. Everyone was gathered around the dining table and it was noisy as usual and that made Kaila happy. But much to her dismay, she was unable to see the face she kept on seeing every single night in her dreams for the past few weeks or so.

Dinner was filled with random chatting and teasing here and there. And this was the reason why Kaila hated going to a school far from home. Because she can’t accept the fact that she only has the privilege to enjoy this sight—her family and cousins bonding, and simply enjoying spending time together—for only two days a week. And that thought made her stomach drop, she was really feeling----

A throat being cleared signaled Kaila to come back to earth.

“So, how was school this week sweetie? Everything okay?” Her dad sincerely asked since noticing that his daughter has been quite distracted for the whole half hour since they started dinner.

“Yes, dad. Everything is fine. Actually, we are going on a field trip this week.” Kaila’s eyes brightened a bit because she was slightly excited to go on this trip.

“Oh really, where?” Her dad asked. And Kaila knows that’s not the only question he’ll be asking.

“To a museum near Mall of Seoul.” And somewhat an awkward yet not so awkward silence followed her answer.

“What? Don’t judge, okay? Some of… well, most of my classmates hasn’t gone to that mall. So the class decided to drop by. So they can check it out. Don’t be mean guys. Not all of us are born in the city. And my professor said that the museum was worth visiting so, why not. I’m honestly excited for this. You guys should be happy for me, you know.” Kaila slightly ranted which earned her soft laughs from the people around the dining table.

“So for what class is this trip exactly? I didn’t know you took art class this semester. You’re not really the type.” Her older cousin Jay said with a snicker. Oh yes, he’s an . He likes to joke around. A lot. The type of jokes that would make you want to punch him if you didn’t know he’s just normally like that. Kaila made a face before answering her annoying cousin.

“It’s for my humanities class. Art, man, and society. And yes, I did not know I even signed up for this class. Because apparently I don’t have a single artsy fartsy bone in my body. Are you happy?” The girl answered back teasingly.

“Yes, I am. Thank you.” Jay answered with a ridiculous smile on his face that makes Kaila want to punch him. But a voice suddenly butted in the conversation that made Kaila want to run upstairs instead.

“Heeey! Isn’t Eddie Kim the cute guitar player your classmate for that class?” The ever too-innocent-for-her-own-good/ favorite cousin Park Jimin suddenly asked. And her voice was louder than necessary because she got excited for her favorite cousin Kaila.

As if on cue all the boys around the table said in unison, “Who’s Eddie Kim?!”

Keeping her composure, Kaila answered. “He’s just this boy in my class.”

“Oh. Now we get it.” Thunder said knowingly.

“Know what?” Kaila questioned her younger cousin.

“Know why you’re super excited to go to this trip.” Jr. answered.

And as if it wasn’t enough that the two boys were ganging up on her, Jay wanted to be part of the gang-up-on-Kaila scheme.

“That’s why you were so excited to ‘see these museums and artwork’. Nice try, cuz (short for cousin).” Jay butted in without forgetting to do air quotation marks for emphasis.

And as if Kaila needed more, she was about to bolt upstairs when she saw that her mom was about to talk.

“Stop it, boys. Come on. Kaila is not in high school anymore. It’s normal for a girl to have crushes. So, stop ganging up on her. Whether you like it or not, I’m going to let her join that trip anyways.” Mrs. Park’s words took her daughter by surprise. She wasn’t normally this… chill. But Kaila was thankful for the save nonetheless.

“When is this trip exactly?” Now it was her dad’s time to do the talking.

“It’s this coming Saturday. Which reminds me, dad. If I should just join the rest of the class going back to the campus after the trip. I figured, the trip is on a Saturday, and if ever we would have like tons of homework I can just do it at the dorm. So that the chauffer won’t have to fetch me and send me to school this coming Monday since I’ll already be there.” Kaila inquired.

“So, you’re planning on not coming home and joining the rest of the class, to go back to campus directly after the trip? Is that it?” Mr. Park seems lost or irked, Kaila didn’t exactly know what. But answered her father’s question nonetheless.

“Yes, dad. If that’s okay with you, of course.” Kaila never does anything that she doesn’t let her dad know or approve of.

“Well, no. Text me your last destination on this trip, so that I can fetch you afterwards.” Her dad answered firmly. Which Kaila understands, given that her father is just strict. Just as strict as her grandfather was to her dad. And she was thankful that her dad gave damn about her.

 

Dinner past by in a blur after that little fiasco Jimin created. The girls- Jimin and Kaila- were inside of their room doing stuff only they can do during the weekends when they’re together which is to fangirl. As they were in the middle of watching a music video, Jimin suddenly decided to pause it.

“What are you doing?” Kaila semi-frustrated-ly asked.

“I have a question.” Jimin simply answered.

“Can’t you ask me later?” Kaila said as she was staring on the laptop screen.

“No. it has to be now.” Jimin firmly said and Kaila simply nodded signaling her to go on with her question.

“What’s your deal when you arrived? You looked, I don’t know, weird. Plus you were dozing out during dinner. Even your dad noticed. Everything okay at school?” This time, Jimin was sincerely asking her. Even for a freshman at college, she thinks that her older cousin is being overwhelmed by college-dom. Her question made Kaila think of the reason as to why. The one she just wanted to brush off but decided to Jimin instead. Besides, she couldn’t hide anything from her. They were closer than most biological sisters given that they’re just cousins.

“Okay, I guess. School is okay. Don’t worry.” Kaila tried stalling.

“Then what’s bugging you?” Jimin, obviously sensing the stalling.

“You know what.” Kaila answered, somewhat embarrassed to say it out loud.

“Oh, God. Its Jackson isn’t it? I knew it!” Jimin exclaimed with triumph.

“Then why the hell would you ask if you knew?” Kaila questioned somewhat irritated but not really.

“Because, I wanted you to realize that his presence does affect you and that you like him. Just admit it. There’s no harm there.” Jimin answered plainly.

“Oh, but there is. You see, he’s my brother’s best friend, Jimin. He’s here almost every single day. He’s in every family occasion that we have. He’s weird and funny. And cute and awkward. And… well… my brother’s best friend.” Kaila ended her answer with almost a whisper.

“You’re right. But then, so the hell what if he’s best dudes with your older brother? That fact made him closer to our family, and in return closer to you. It’s sort of your advantage. And speaking of. Why isn’t he here during dinner tho?” Jimin suddenly got sidetracked from her almost serious stream of thoughts.

“That I don’t know, and do not want to know. So if you don’t mind, we still have a music video to watch.”

With that, the cousin’s conversation about Jackson was over. But Kaila’s thoughts about him were definitely not.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

100916

Holy balls. I haven't given this story much of attention but I will try to revive this. HAHA. Idk if this is still gonna be worth reading but yeah. Im'ma try to write, still. 

 

Awoouuu~