01. Same Patterns, Same Routine

Harbinger of Us

Breathing you in when I want you out

 



 

The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Daeun carefully closes the book and puts it neatly on the bedside table. She treasures the book a lot and even treats it as if it was the Bible. She remembers the person who gave it to her ―he no longer wanted to keep the book, he bought it just because he was able. Now that she thinks about him again, that spot somewhere in her chest is trembling and she tries hard to keep her breathing stable.

Her heart itches due to the ticklish pain and she starts feeling sentimental. Ah, females were born to be sensitive over melancholic things, after all. She looks at the blue-covered book again, then throws her sight to the shelves standing against the wall. She cynically laughs although nothing around seems comical.

Maybe it's just her insecurity but she can no more cry miserably. She was just a part of his life that came ephemerally. No matter how much she treasures him as something she never gets to have, he'll never know and just smile at her innocently. This is just how her life works, apparently.

He gave her many books, but she only wanted his heart. She never dares to ask because she doesn't want to end up apart. They share a long friendship, they still do, so her feelings must be put aside. She knows every little thing about him, but he never understands her inside.

She always breathes him in no matter how much she wants him out. Oh, how she wishes the words could just come out of . Everything is nothing but a doubt. She doesn't even know what this is all about.

Jung Daeun will always be Jung Daeun, although she is partially Andrea Choi, temporarily Danni, and occasionally JD.

And he will always be just him.

Her meeting with him earlier today explains it all, that there's this thin line between them although everything seems fine. He's fine with it, but she's not. Not when she's the only one holding back, and he's the only one not knowing.

And they fall back into the same patterns, same routine.

 



 

October 2012 ― Asphyxier

"Over here!"

Daeun didn't even need the shout-out to announce Sehun's presence in the bubble tea shop because his glorious height already did the magic. Daeun smiled. Sehun must've been there for almost ten minutes already.

Euigoo, this kid.

"Annyeong, Sehun-ie," Daeun sat across Sehun and dropped her bag on the table. "A bit long here?"

Sehun looked up and his gaze met Daeun's face. He wasn't wearing his glasses, so she just tipped her glasses and raised her eyebrows to him. He stopped slurping from his almost empty cup and grasped another one on the table. Daeun wondered if one of those five bubble teas belonged to her as his treat, then what would he do with the other three? No, the other two left. He'd taken two on his own.

"You said you were already here," Sehun complained. "But I've been waiting. Alone."

Daeun took off her glasses, put it neatly on the table, and grabbed a chocolate bubble tea on her own.

"Come on, I said I'm sorry," Daeun slurped once. "Consider I've always been here. My school is just a block away but I didn't come here earlier to sit around like a fool. You still have this habit of coming late."

Sehun furrowed his eyebrows in disagreement. "I'm a punctual person. Blame the traffic," he excused. "Beside, you always know I don't like being alone in public, right?"

You don't say. Jung Daeun always knows when it comes to Oh Sehun, especially this one. Sehun always bugs Daeun to come to the place first whenever they're going out together.

"Come on. I know, but grow up!" Daeun argued. "People might be looking at you because you're frigging tall. Their gazes won't tear your face apart so don't worry, Oh Sehun."

"Still, having people looking at me isn't comfy," Sehun still managed to rebut. "By the way, Danni-ya, I didn't see you around when I came to Seunghwa Fall Festival last week. Why? Didn't you come? It was really cool! Aigo~ Your school has smart and hard-working kids, indeed."

Daeun slurped a little from her chocolate bubble tea as she listens to Sehun. Her friends already told her (enough) about his presence in the celebration and she already had a well-prepared script in store. Just like always.

"I didn't feel like going."

She came, actually, to watch her little brother's performance from a corner ―that makes her sound like an illegal audience. Their mother and her elder brother were neatly seated among the audiences, but she refused to come along with them.

"Ah, wae~"

"You know Umma is very strict, right?" Daeun said in a matter-of-fact tone. "The shows ended at 11. Cinderella had to go home when it hit 12, but Umma will never let me off above 9. The gates were open at 6 so even if I came, I'd only spend 2 hours there. The ticket was expensive too. Euigoo, such a great troublesome waste if I came."

 

                "JD, why didn't you come yesterday? Your dongsaeng's dance performance was great! How could you miss that~"

                "I came, Hyeri-ya. You just didn't find me."

                "Really? Then, uh, your ex... Oh Sehun? He came last night. Did you see him? I saw him with Ji Hansol from 3-4."

                "Ah, really? Did he come?"

                "Omo... Don't talk like you didn't know he would. Sehun and Hansol seemed like they were looking for you."

                A skeptical laugh.

                "I don't think so. Kids from Seungwon, Seungsoo, and other schools came too, right? Sehun and Hansol have many mutual friends so maybe they were having a little reunion with others. Why would they look for me? Tsk."

                "But still... You should've come to them, JD-ya."

                Sigh.

                "No, Hyeri... Sehun was one of the reasons why I didn't show up. I knew he'd come so I didn't show up. Even if I did, and he really looked for me, he'd neglect me a second later. Last year was like that."

                "What, you're still mad at him? Because of... the break-up?"

                "No. There's no reason to be mad. We broke up a couple years ago. I barely remember about my previous relationship with him."

                White lie.

                "Such a loss... I honestly pity you for letting him slip off your hands."

                Daeun pitied herself too.

                "You talk as if he's some kind of slippery eel. Why'd you pity me, Lee Hyeri? Because he's handsome?"

                "Of course!! Owmaigat, JD, he is extremely handsome! And tall! He, he totally stood out in the middle of the crowd. How can God create such a demigod? Omo~ He must be as tall as Chanyeol Sunbae~"

                "Euigoo... Just take him home with you."

 

"Oh... Okay," Sehun slowly nodded.

Come on. Sehun alone was the sole reason.

Daeun smirked to herself. She really was a two-faced liar. She told a story to somebody, and told another completely different version to somebody else. There were too many lies and she couldn't name which one was true anymore. She was engrossed too deep in believing the lies she made because she forgot her own truth.

But she knew for sure her heart was still left for him. Daeun was still breathing Sehun in whenever she wanted him out. He might not be her oxygen, but she hoped he was the hydrogen to her hydroxide.

"If only kids in my school could hold a little better festival. Seungwon's art festivals ," Sehun commented.

"Come on. It ain't that bad. You were the committee too, twice," Daeun cheered him up. "Anyway, how's it going with Yoongyoong?" she teased. "That hoobae is rea~ally cute."

"You mean him?" Sehun referred to his ex-boyfriend unenthusiastically. "Ah, we're done."

The whole bubble tea shop was buzzing due to the customers' loud chitchats but inner silence caught Daeun in a split of second. She raised her eyebrows and slightly tilted her head aside.

"You..." Daeun spit out carefully, "...broke up with him?"

Sehun pouted like a rubber duck as he nodded, but he quickly straightened up his face. "He dumped me. He even told me he's been seeing someone else before he called it quit with me."

"Ouch," Daeun murmured under her breath. "That must hurt."

"Worse than ever," Sehun puffed his cheeks.

This started getting awkward. Sehun only told her he wanted to see her since he happened to come around her school but she didn't expect him to drag her into this kind of 'heart-to-heart' talk.

Daeun herself was lacking heteroual relationship experiences so she didn't know what to say regarding to Sehun's first yet failed homoual relationship. She knew that he was gay even before she dated him once upon a time ―and she was just as straight as the straw she was chewing.

Now what do I do?

"We started out fine, Danni," Sehun began, "He's a spoiled brat, sometimes ignorant, but I care about him a lot. I really like taking care of him when he's being all clingy because it feels like I'm dependable for him... He comes to me nagging about his friends and homework, I bug him whether he eats and sleeps and studies well... I even came to his house last week..."

That was really, really romantic that it literally made Daeun choke on her bubble tea. Why? Because Sehun never did any of those things when he was dating her and this sounded eerie (somewhat) because Sehun did those for a boy.

"What did you do there?"

"I went there to tutor him math, French, and Hanja. And, well, yeah... to spend some quality time with him."

Sehun plus his boyfriend in an empty house... No.....

"He, you..." Daeun nervously cleared , "His parents were home?"

Sehun nodded, "I met his mom and she asked me to have dinner there."

Since Sehun said that his ex's mother was home when he visited, that meant Sehun did tutor him with no other intentions. For God's sake, Daeun had to get her mind straight. Thank God Sehun was as oblivious as ever. Phew.

An awkward silence enveloped the two of them for a moment.

"Maybe... Maybe... Maybe you're just not meant to be with him," were the only words Daeun could find to say. "Remember the time you had a crush on Lee Chanhee Sunbae and he seemed crooked? But you chose to go after this hoobae. A chance to back out to Lee Chanhee?"

"I don't know, Daeun-ie. Chunji Hyung, I mean Chanhee Sunbae, might be a bi. He's hanging around Dasom Noona lately and it seems like they're gonna date soon."

Daeun nodded in silence but it was hard to neglect the pain all over Sehun's eyes. She couldn't believe she was trapped in this situation. She knew how it hurt, when somebody she loved turned their back to her. She'd been through that ―a lot. But once again, her condition was different from his condition. This young guy before her eyes was desperate for love. Love...

Daeun could actually give him enough love, but her heart was never what he needed. Since when was the world fair? He didn't even know that she had this presentable heart for him only ―sealed in a gift box called anxiety, with heartache as the wrapper, tied by a pretty ribbon named insecurity.

What the hell are you thinking, Daeun Jung? Don't pity yourself and just spoil him with random recommendations to go after!

"What about... Mark?" Daeun suggested unsurely. "Maybe you can start out with him?"

Sehun emptied out his second bubble tea and his hand went for the third. He looked straight at Daeun for a second before focusing back on his bubble tea.

"He's our friend, Daeun-ie," Sehun shook his head. "Oh Sehun, Jung Daeun, Jung Soojung, Kang Jiyoung, Mark Tuan, Lee Taemin... The six of us."

This time Daeun didn't get the point. "Then? You already know that he has the, the... same condit―"

Sehun jolted his lower lip as he brought his head down. He didn't even spare a look at Daeun when he threw his sight to the open doors.

"We all have been friends for so long. I just don't think relationships that start with friendships will do."

Those simple straightforward words stabbed Daeun so deep. Deep. He innocently stabbed that spot somewhere in her chest with an invisible dagger called honesty.

"Yeah, guess so..." Daeun nodded agreeing with her usual blunt reaction.

Then Sehun's phone rang out of nowhere.

"Mwohae? Ah, ne, I'm on table 5 near the painting with my friend. Ne~"

Daeun was not deaf to hear the whole Sehun-ish aegyo-ey conversation.

"Oh. Se. Hun," Daeun spelled sternly then wore back her glasses. "You didn't tell me you'd bring a friend."

Sehun questioned back with his eyes, "I did, the last message."

Daeun rolled her eyes. She was too busy running from Seunghwa High School to Perle Bubble tea Shop to check Sehun's last message.

"Sehun-ie!"

A girl, nearly as tall as Daeun, jogged to their table. Daeun briefly scanned her from head to toe. The long-haired girl was wearing the same uniform as Sehun so Daeun knew that she was his schoolmate. But Daeun wasn't sure if she really was a student, because she dressed rather like an ulzzang than a scholar. The girl's make-up, highlighted hair, high-insoles, and fake glasses couldn't fool Daeun.

"Here you are. Take a seat."

The girl undoubtedly dragged a chair close to Sehun and sat herself next to him, shamelessly flaunting sugar-coated smiles with both eyes and lips to him. Daeun was irritated, sure. Such a Seungwon student. It's not that Daeun looked down on Sehun's school. Seungwon High definitely had smart kids too there, Sehun for example. The only thing Daeun looked down was that girl. Daeun bet she barely had books in her pretty handbag.

There must be eyeliner and lipgloss instead of pencils and notebooks in her tiny bag. Tsk, this kind of girl doesn't even study at school.

"Aigo, I've been rude for not noticing you. Annyeong haseyo," the girl bowed her head to Daeun but quickly turned to Sehun. "Sehun-ie, who is this?"

Thank goodness Daeun still had manners and pride to keep up. If not, she'd probably snap her out and introduced herself without waiting for Sehun to do so.

"This is my friend, Jung Daeun. She's from Seunghwa High," Sehun introduced, "Daeun-ie, this is Kaeun my classmate."

"Oh, jinjja? Annyeong haseyo, Lee Kaeun imnida."

"Jung Daeun imnida," Daeun shortly smiled and nodded.

There was no need for Daeun to introduce herself as JD or Andrea Choi. Daeun was sure she pretty much wouldn't see this girl again in the future. Hope so.

"Bangapseumnida," the girl nodded in return. "I've heard about Seunghwa students a lot. Daeun-ssi, you must be a smart student."

"Anya. I'm just an average student," Daeun shrugged it off. "Sehun here is smarter. He speaks French well and he tops a lot of entrance exam trials."

"Mwohae~" Sehun chuckled. "What are you saying... No, Kaeun-ah, Daeun here is smart, really. Her English is amazing."

Daeun just staid laidback and waited for Sehun to say more things about her to this so-called Kaeun. She knew Sehun liked to babble good things about his friends to others (like when he said that Daeun's smart) but let's see if he'd also share about his longtime friendship with Daeun.

No?

No.

Sehun didn't. It ended there.

Oh, come on. Sehun only introduced Daeun to Kaeun as 'his friend', not more or less. He didn't even say that he went to the same middle school with Daeun. He didn't even say that Daeun was once―

Of course. Sehun didn't even let his friends know that he had a friend named Jung Daeun so why should they know that she was his ex-girlfriend? Yes, none of Sehun's schoolmates knew he had a longtime friend named Jung Daeun from Seunghwa High and they didn't know he once dated that Seunghwa kid.

"You both are Eun," Sehun handed Kaeun a taro bubble tea, "Daeun-ie, Kaeun-ie,"

"We know," Kaeun giggled. "Such a coincidence, right, Daeun-ssi?"

"Ne," Daeun unresponsively nodded. "I come with that a lot."

Daeun was nodding too much over things she didn't give a damn about that day. The next thing Daeun knew was Kaeun too busy catching Sehun's attention with random chatters and she was too lazy to jump in to the fast-changing topics.

"This place is nice. No wonder why you like hanging out here, Sehun-ie."

Daeun furrowed her eyebrows at Sehun. The Sehun that Daeun knew didn't really like hanging out far from home since his house was somewhere near the outskirt of town. That's what she always knew. This freaking Perle Bubble tea Shop is wan the center of the city, for God's sake.

'I don't know you come here often,' Daeun mouthed.

'Mostly with you, sometimes with my other friends,' Sehun mouthed back.

"Sehun-ie!"

Sehun automatically turned to Kaeun who was taking off her (fake) glasses and grabbed her phone.

"Ya, let's take some selca."

What a great day. Daeun was definitely dragged here only to be an outcast. Screw that Kaeun girl. It's good that Kaeun noticed Daeun's penetrating gaze to the back of her skull. Daeun meant it.

"Forgive me, Daeun-ssi, I'm just being excited. This place is nice and I don't really play around this district often."

"Gwaenchanh-a-yo," Daeun said, "You must visit Hongdae more than this place, just like all the other kids usually do."

This was the kind of smartness Daeun possessed. She was smart in choosing oblivious words and stressing the right syllable, and her eyes were sure more accusing. Still, Daeun didn't fail to catch the judging look in Kaeun's eyes. Kaeun was just as clever to keep it unseen with her saccharine-sweet smile.

Well, another Grammy-winning actress was in the town.

"Sehun-ie, let's take some selca," Kaeun fixed her bangs. "Won't you join us, Daeun-ssi?"

"No, thanks," Daeun weakly shook her head, "I don't really like taking selca in public."

Again, another lie. She was dying to take a picture with Sehun but she had too much ego to ask him and he never seemed like he wanted a selfie with Daeun either so let's just face it. Sehun did take a lot of selfies with his friends on a regular basis but he never asked Daeun to take one with him. Daeun and Sehun would never be in the same picture ―literally, metaphorically. Daeun couldn't find any reason to join these kids.

"Ah, this is awkward... Daeun-ssi doesn't join us."

Daeun grabbed a random book from her bag and covered her face with it, "Just pretend I'm not here. I just can't take selfies in public, really."

And just looking at how Kaeun leaning close to Sehun as they tried different cute poses really made Daeun want to puke in public.

"'Hanging out with Oh Sehun in Perle Bubble tea Shop. Cool place, isn't it?'" Kaeun spoke to herself as she typed a caption for the picture.

Kaeun put her phone on the table, spared a quick look at Daeun, and looked at Sehun with her sweet giggly face. Daeun dug into her pocket for her phone and pretended as if she just received a text. That was all-around escape plan.

"It's my friend, Hyeri. I'm taking an extra course with her so I need to go,"

"Geurae-yo? You really study a lot, don't you, Daeun-ssi?"

"I don't study as much as Sehun over here. He takes a bunch of extra classes," Daeun pointed at Sehun.

"Daeun..." Sehun trailed off, "Since Daeun is leaving, aren't we leaving too, Kaeun-ah?"

"Fine, but will you go home with me? I'm taking a bus to my mom's office,"

"Sure. I'm heading home with the same bus."

Just go away, you two.

Kaeun was the first to hop off her seat while Daeun was still stuffing her belongings into her bag. Sehun waited until Kaeun walked out the shop before he turned back to Daeun.

"Danni."

"Hmm?"

"Thanks for listening to me earlier. And about Kaeun, I'm sorry, I don't know she is that talkative."

"Relax," Daeun patted Sehun's head. "I am a lot more talkative than she is, but aren't you thankful to her? Because of her, I don't talk too much today."

"Danni..."

"Have a safe trip home. I gotta go. Annyeong, Sehun!"

 



 

August 2012 ― Tête-à-tête

"Over here!"

Daeun stood on her tiptoes to search for the source of the voice. She didn't have to, actually, because she found him in the end. Thanks to his tall build.

"Thank God you're finally here. I can't stand being alone."

Daeun had prepared a retort on her way there. How he was being a b*tch for calling her to come in 20 minutes, how people on the streets were being b*tches for causing traffic jams. But then she saw Sehun grinning so adorably, his eyes were smiling along forming cute crescents. There, she fell all over again.

Maybe, somewhere beneath his hearty smile, there was a little space for her in his heart. Maybe, she could finally find a hope. She knew it wouldn't be easy for both of them, but she was willing to accept him for who he was and she was willing to try. She wanted him to start all over again, with her. She'd stay by his side, to let him know that as unconditional as her love was, she'd help him fight.

Cut your crappy thoughts, Daeun Jung. You should get over him, not crawling back to him, Daeun shook the thoughts off her head.

"Ya, Daeun-ie..." Sehun halted himself for a good couple seconds. "I have something to tell you."

The way Sehun looked at her was just so heart-fluttering. The Sehun Kid that Daeun knew was gone somewhere and the Sehun standing in front of her had this handsomely serious look on his gorgeous face.

Daeun could barely breathe.

"What's that?"

Calm down, Daeun. He's not gonna say that crappy fake 'I love you' word. He never did, and he never will. Maybe he'll just ask you to tutor him Japanese or ask you to go shopping books.

"That... Let's go to Starbucks and I'll tell you there. My treat."

The Starbucks offer sounded like fun but Daeun regretted her choice of saying yes. It turned out that the thing Sehun wanted to tell her was that...

...he had a new girlfriend.

She was Sehun's schoolmate, a beautiful gayageum player. Daeun wouldn't deny that his girlfriend was a very lovely girl ―although she hadn't met her yet. As a friend, she was genuinely happy for him. But knowing his brain like knowing the back of her hand, and being aware of her own faint feelings for him, Daeun was honestly not content with his decision. But since when was the world fair? There was nothing she could do but stay next to him to support him when nobody else did.

The puffing cup in her hand didn't feel lingering warm anymore and the delicious coffee no longer tasted so good. The summer breeze was blowing too harsh, in her chest. It was cold in there ―it had always been. It stood out frozen in the middle of the warm season.

"What's her name again?"

"Hong Yookyung."

Daeun stared at his phone again and she still couldn't believe it. Even her name was so damn pretty.

"She's soo cute. How could you get her?"

Sehun bashfully smiled and scratched the back of his head. "I learned how to play gayageum from her this lately. I heard from her friends that she had a crush on me. I actually had my eyes on this sunbae called Lee Chanhee, but I don't know much about him. So, I decided to just mingle with Yookyung."

"I see..." Daeun absentmindedly nodded, "But aren't you feeling guilty? I mean... she doesn't know the truth. She really likes you but you..." she paused hesitantly, "…don't."

Everything became so awkward. Daeun shot her arrow to the center point.

"That's why I told you to come. I... don't really know what to do."

"What the fu―" Daeun quickly composed herself, "Then why did you date her at the first place? I can tell from her twitter's bio that she's 100% into you already. We're near the national final exam and if she breaks down..."

Daeun's voice trailed off and got lost somewhere in the noise. Sehun knew he was worth to blame and Daeun was the right person to blame him.

"Daeun-ie, I heard that you got a scholarship offer to the States."

"Sehun," Daeun retorted grimly. "Come on, don't distract me. You're bad at it."

"Okay, fine! I know she loves me. She gave her heart to me, I don't know what to do with it," Sehun blurts out. "I finally realized I did something wrong when she gave me this beautiful scrapbook. It isn't as pretty as the one you gave me as my birthday present last year, but hers had many heart patterns in it and the 'I love you' words..."

Sehun was the second to lose his voice to the external noise.

"Oh Sehun," Daeun softly called out before she furiously glared at him. "You're an ."

This was the first time Daeun ever used direct profanities to Sehun so he knew right away that she was extremely mad. Extremely.

"Thinking rationally about the consequences, I want you to break up with her immediately," Daeun said. "But considering how much she loves you, I beg you to please hold on a little longer," she demanded the opposite. "At least make her happy and feel loved, even if it's for awhile. You're a criminal when you steal somebody's heart only to damage it."

Sehun understood well that this meant another fake relationship right away. But this time, he has to act up in front of his girlfriend, not with her.

"But won't it be useless if I break up with her in the end?" Sehun argued.

"At least you leave good memories. That makes you less criminal," Daeun rebutted.

"If I break up with her right away?"

"You destroy her heart right away."

Daeun was right. Sehun had done something wrong, so he had to pay the price. He couldn't just crash the heart he had in his hands and left the crime scene with no evidences.

The next three minutes nauseatingly passed by too slow because the chattery Daeun chose to purse her lips shut and let Sehun think straight. She wanted him to think clearly because she wouldn't talk about it anymore. He needed to fix his mess himself.

Sehun tried to get rid of the maddening topic, "Talking about US―"

"Talking about USA, yes, I got the offer," Daeun cut halfway. "Again. I've tried to talk to Umma again."

Sehun knew how it had always been between Daeun and her mother. In fact, he was the only one who knew how it'd been like. Aside of Daeun's brothers, of course.

"Your mom said no again?" Sehun didn't even need to guess.

Daeun let out a long sigh as she played with her cup of coffee. "Yes, she did..." she smiled bitterly, "But I'll find my way, however. USA might sound too good to be true but I'll still fight for it. I've dreamed for it for so long so I gotta keep my faith."

Sehun smiled. He was relieved that Daeun was not losing faith, at least that second. Not anymore, he hoped. He could never bear her when she was down. She'd fallen too often and too deep. As a friend, he couldn't watch her breaking.

"It'll be really awesome. Brain like yours can't be trapped in this place for too long. You totally deserve to be there."

Daeun smiled. Sehun caught a glimpse of contentment in her eyes and he mirrored her smile.

Ah, the spirit is back. That's Jung Daeun I know. Burning.

Had he known, he flickered up her fire. Even with the simplest things he did.

"There's a lot to do once I got there. I'll start writing a list of it and going to Hollywood will be my priority. Oh, you know that my Oppa just got a scholarship to UK too, right? I and Jun must visit him next year. Once I get there, I'll ride the double decker for sure. Then I'll watch Mr. Big Ben tick twelve in the middle of the night. That gigantic grandfather clock is beautiful,"

Sehun wasn't a kind of person who liked to talk about many things. But, having a friend like Daeun who talked a lot and loved to speak randomly when she was in the mood, Sehun could never be more thankful.

"But what if I'm gone? For long?" Daeun raised an eyebrow. "You're sooo gonna miss a friend like me," she teased.

Sehun faintly smiled, "Surely will."

"Joking," Daeun cracked a laugh, not buying his honest confession. "You have a bunch of friends."

 



 

October 2010 ― Écarlate

 

"J to the D! Your singing was great!" Taemin ruffled Daeun's hair.

"Gomawo, Oppa," Daeun beamed heartily.

"JD-ya, I like your voice. You were amazing on the stage," Jongin joined Taemin tousling Daeun's long hair.

"Seriously," Jiyeon rolled her eyes. "Anyone can sing like that as long as they're not tone-deaf."

Daeun silently took off her bright green lenses and wear her glasses back. She should've been irritated by the way Jiyeon looked down on her, but she wasn't. She wasn't scared of Jiyeon either. Maybe she simply had (enough) respect for Jiyeon as her senior.

Taemin lightly laughed. Sweat uncomfortably glued his hair to his neck and face so he swept his bangs off his forehead. Frankly to say, he looked so gorgeous. To Jiyeon.

"Your singing was great too, Jiyeon-ah. It was stunning," Taemin praised as he friendly patted Jiyeon's shoulder.

"Yes, it was," Jiyeon smiled sweetly but kept her sharp comeback. "My voice even echoed when I sang the high notes. It was stunning."

Jiyeon took out her uniform blazer, leaving her only with a pink sleeveless top and her uniform skirt. She untied her hair in front of Taemin and fixed her hair to the right, revealing the beads of sweat on her neck, face, and collarbone. Nobody could deny that Park Jiyeon was indeed beautiful.

"I'll get something to drink. Are you coming?" Jiyeon asked rather demandingly.

"Too lazy to walk," Taemin leaned against a random dresser. "Can you get me one?"

Jiyeon lazily rolled her eyes, nodded once, and turned around to walk away.

"Can you get me drinks for JD and Kai too?" Taemin shouted.

"If you want it, come and get it!" Jiyeon shouted back without looking back.

Daeun and Jongin were joking around when Taemin came back with drinks in his hands. Jongin kept teasing Daeun about her new status but Daeun would always tease that sunbae back about his huge crush on her friend.

Daeun and Jongin weren't friends before, but they got close because of the musical. She even called him 'Jongin' (instead of 'Kai' like other kids). She surely called Taemin 'Oppa' because he was one year older but Jongin was only two months older than her. Jongin belonged to the same batch as Taemin and Jiyeon because he was born in January. Daeun herself was born after March 1st, so she became their hoobae.

When it came to loveline and friendship, sunbae-hoobae honorific addresses wouldn't matter, right?

"Sunbaenim," a soft girly voice called out.

Taemin was the first to turn around and he found one of his favorite juniors coming wearing a shy smile with a couple of Narangdeu's in her hands. He knew who she was looking for, and why.

"Kim Jongin, somebody's looking for you," Taemin elbowed Jongin's side.

Daeun was the second to turn around and there she saw her bestie happily waving to her. Daeun waved back at her and motioned her to come closer to them, but her friend quickly shook her head with that adorable shy smile as she brought her head down. Daeun couldn't help but wanted to just pinch the other Jung's cheeks. Daeun knew better that the pink shades on her friend's cheeks were because she was blushing, not the remaining make-up after the musical.

"Jung Soojung, come here or I'll drag you here myself!" Daeun yelled.

Jongin was startled when he heard the name Daeun called. Taemin wiggled his eyebrows to him, but Jongin could only look away nervously. There were so many girls named Soojung ―there were four Soojung in Seunghwa High School that time― but only one could make Jongin felt like that.

"D-don't!" Soojung frantically shook her head. "I just wanna give these to Kai Sunbaenim and Taemin Sunbaenim before I leave."

"Ooh~ Soojung is asking us to have a drink with her~" Taemin teased.

Daeun looked at Soojung's hands but there were only two Narangdeu's there. She gasped with both hands on mouth.

"None for me?" Daeun faked a dramatic nagging tone. "Ouch. Jung Soojung, you hurt me here," she clutched at her left chest. "How could you forget your fluffy bestie, who's possibly your faraway cousin, just because you're in love?"

Soojung glared at Daeun as her silent protest of the other Jung's sappy dramatic act. Out of all people in the world, how could she meet someone with a weird personality like Daeun?

"You have this someone who looks after you, Daeun-ah," Soojung pointed out. "By the way," she added.

"She's right, JD," Taemin agreed. "Now let you friend have someone to look after her too. Will you, Jongin?" he turned to Jongin.

"Taem..." Jongin tried but couldn't rebut Taemin's tease.

Soojung quietly handed each Taemin and Jongin a Narangdeu, then wordlessly pleaded Daeun with that please-stop-it-you-embarrass-me look.

"I must see Jiyoung first before I go," Soojung said.

"Leaving early?" Jongin looked at Soojung. "With Jiyoung?"

"Ani. Jiyoung has her father pick her up. I'll go home with a cab."

"Don't. Let me ride you home. I'll wait in the parking lot."

"Is that okay? I... I don't want to trouble you, Kai Sunbaenim."

"It's fine. It's not nice for girls like you to be out at night alone."

Daeun and Taemin exchanged knowing gazes. Taemin winked to Daeun and she was having a hard time to hold back her snickers.

"Now I know what you feel, Jung Daeun," Taemin tapped the top of Daeun's head. "Aiyoo... My friend Kim Jongin forgets me too just because he's in love. They are the main actor and actress in this world, JD, we're just the cameos."

"Taemin-ah, don't go hanging around JD anymore after this," Jongin said. "She's giving you this Drama Queen virus."

"Ouch. Now you hurt me here too, Kim Jongin," Daeun clutched at her chest once again. "You know Soojung just hurt me here."

"I know how it feels, JD-ya," Taemin caringly patted Daeun's back. "Jongin and Soojung are the same. They're each other's half."

"Jung Daeun~"

"Taemin-ah..."

Daeun and Taemin exchanged gazes once again and their faces were red because of holding back their laughs. Seeing how Soojung's face was as red as a tomato and how Jongin's ears were boiling red, it was even harder for the other two.

"Waeyo~" Daeun and Taemin sang in unison.

"I... I must go," Soojung quickly said.

"I'll wait in the parking lot," Jongin said.

The couple-in-the-making quickly walked out the backstage, leaving the other two behind. Daeun and Taemin should've never been put together in a place. Separate then, angels. Put them together, annoying evils.

Daeun smiled. She loved her bestfriend Jung Soojung, she knew Kim Jongin was a good guy, and she was so grateful to see how happy Soojung was to be with Jongin. She treasured Soojung so much like a sister she never had and she'd do anything she could to see Soojung happy.

Even if she had to go through a lie and turn a blind eye to her own heart.

"JD-ya, stop spacing out," Taemin flicked Daeun's head. "Isn't that your boyfriend, looking for you too?"

"Oppa!" Daeun retorted.

Taemin was right. A tall good-looking young boy walked to their direction and Daeun could already tell who it was by her own messy heartbeat.

"Alright, I'll leave the two of you. Being the third wheel in this kind of situation is surely not good for my mental health," Taemin pinched Daeun's nose. "He looks nice, by the way. Too nice for you."

"Oppa!"

Taemin stuck out his tongue to her for the last time before he left the backstage, leaving only Daeun and her Mr. Charming alone.

"Daeun-ie,"

"Oh Sehun,"

Sehun brought a chocolate bar and a bottle of vitamin water along with him. He unwrapped the bottle's seal before giving it to Daeun, which the girl received with a smile and a 'thank you'.

"Am I good or am I bad?" Daeun asked after emptying the whole bottle.

Sehun tapped his chin and jolted his lower lip, showing her that he was having a hard time to answer. Daeun waited for him anxiously, because she was still doubtful if the performance was her best. She almost cracked when she sang with Taemin on stage, and she lost the rhythm of a line once when she was singing while dancing.

"You're... good, or... you're good."

Daeun narrowed her eyes, "Lie."

"No, really. Your singing was great," Sehun put his thumbs up. "But your dancing... well..." he rotated his thumbs upside down, "I dance better."

"Euigoo... Please, for God's sake," Daeun laughed. "You are a dancer. You may dance better, but you can't even sing," she pointed out.

Sehun couldn't take that. "I can sing."

"You can, but just a little bit," Daeun corrected. She raised her thumbs up and mimicking him, she rotated them upside down. "I sing better."

Sehun rolled his eyes. "Now we know why God created you and me with different skills."

"What, you wanna make God laugh?"

"I don't have to. He's already laughing at us."

That also made Daeun laugh. They just never realized that they were always being silly with their random idiotic thoughts and incoherent nonsense. But he enjoyed it, and she loved it.

She loved him.

"What time is it?" Daeun reached out to her phone. "I should call Oppa―"

"No, don't..." Sehun grabbed Daeun's wrist out of virtue. "Don't go home now, Danni-ya. I'll ride you home, I promise, but just... just stay here and keep me company."

Daeun was surprised because she never committed any skinship with Sehun. They might be dating, but their basic rule was not to let their strings attach. He didn't know about her feelings to him, and she had to keep it that way.

"Is there... anything wrong?"

Daeun's face looked worried and concern was evident in her voice. She softly gazed at him, questioning about what might lie beneath the impromtu action he did.

"Nothing's wrong. I just miss my friend," Sehun slowly let go of her wrist. "Let's eat something. I wanna spend a little time with you while we still can."

Daeun's heart was hammering inside her chest and her thoughts were jumbled in her brain. She blankly stared at Sehun and he blankly stared back at him. She couldn't find anything in his dark orbs. All she saw was her friend, Oh Sehun, staring back at her like a mirror.

Daeun grinned. "I'll tell Oppa first, then."

 

Oppa, I'll be a bit late. Gonna eat with Sehun.

Can you pick me up at school later?

Sure. Be safe. Text me when you're done.

 

Sehun waited for Daeun to change her clothes before they left the backstage and walked to the school's park. Some students, their parents, and a few external audiences were still wandering around the school after the musical ended but since it was already late at night, the park was empty and they sat on the bleachers.

Daeun was still busy finishing her chocolate bar when the smell of waffle, out of nowhere, lingered in the air.

"Daeun-ie."

"Hmm?"

Daeun turned to face Sehun and a big bite of waffle welcomed her sight.

"Open your mouth? This is yummy, open your mouth!"

"Where did you get this?"

"It fell from the sky," Sehun pointed at the sky. "I bought it before I came to fetch you, Aegi. You think God would just throw me a box of waffle?"

"He's laughing at you right now."

"Amen. Now, eat this before the ice cream melts."

Daeun looked around and a couple of seniors passing buy pierced their gazed at her.

"Sehun-ah, this is silly and we're in public―"

"Public what?" Sehun looked around and barely saw living beings. "Just... ah~!"

Daeun narrowed her eyes at Sehun and his sudden weird aegyo-ey attempt, but she ended up chuckling. Sehun was persistent, anyway. She obeyed him to open so he could feed her a spoonful of waffle.

"Good kid!" Sehun chirped. "One more, one more."

"Wait, wait," Daeun grabbed his hands to stop him, "Don't put too much ice cream, I can't bear it."

Sehun drew his hand back to the box of waffle and scooped less ice cream for Daeun's sake. "Here, for my dear girlfriend."

Daeun foumlnd herself smiling for a split second because the last simple three words Sehun said melted her inside. Everything wasn't real between them right from the start but when he said that, it felt surreal yet sounded so sweet.

"Alright. Ah~"

Daeun gobbled up the ice cream first because her teeth couldn't bear the icy cold taste and she left the waffle to chew. Sehun was right, it tasted so damn delicious.

"You're not gonna feed me back?" Sehun pouted. "Not that I want it, but you should at least pay back."

She was busy savoring the sweet taste of the waffle when her eyes wandered around the school gates. She automatically bolted her eyes when she saw her seniors standing right at the school gates and gazing to the school. Kim Hyerin, Bang Minah, and... Park Jiyeon.

Euigoo.

Why was that Park Jiyeon-ssi there? She always had that haughty façade (she was harmless but she looked haughty) and she always looked down on her juniors like they were some kind of bacteria. Jiyeon wasn't pleased to cooperate with Daeun for the musical (perhaps it was Daeun's dorky look that made Jiyeon uncomfortable) and she was the first who started 'the rumor'. If she saw Daeun there spoonfeeding a good-looking stranger (come on, Sehun was handsome), what kind of tricks would she spell on Sehun?

Yes, Park Jiyeon had a bag full of tricks. She flickered the rumor that Daeun and Jongin were dating when she knew Daeun's best friend, Jung Soojung, had a huge crush on him. Why? Because she was mad at the fact that she couldn't even get Jongin after she gave up on Taemin.

Thus, Daeun started a fake relationship with Sehun to assure Soojung's insecurity that nothing happened between her and Jongin.

Jiyeon could shift her attention to anyone she wanted and once she set her eyes on someone, she'd be serious with it. Daeun didn't want Jiyeon to pick on Sehun, if that sunbae knew he was her boyfriend. Daeun might be selfish but she didn't care if Jiyeon kept chasing after Taemin. Taemin was single anyway. Or whoever Jiyeon wwnt after, whatever, as long as it wasn't Sehun.

"Daeun-ie, ah~"

Sehun scooped another spoonful of waffle but when he turned to his left, he didn't find Daeun. She was burying her face to the wooden headrest.

"Why are you... leaning your head on the table? Are you feeling sleepy?" Sehun asked in confusion

"N-no, just..." Daeun covered her face with both palms, "Those girls over there are my sunbae."

"So...?"

"I don't want Jiyeon Sunbae to see us here or else she'll start gossiping about you and me―"

"Then?" Sehun raised an eyebrow. "It's not gonna be a false rumor. I am your boyfriend. Didn't I agree to be your boyfriend so you could escape false rumors?"

Daeun gave Sehun a judging look by the tip of her eyelashes but she managed to keep it oblivious. Yes, their fake relationship was for Daeun's sake to escape fake gossips about her, but she didn't want to spark more gossips before the old ones disappeared.

"I thought you didn't want people to find out about our new status..." Daeun murmured to herself.

"Ne?"

"Nothing," Daeun shrugged. "Tell me when they're gone."

"Um..." Sehun scratched his head. "They're heading here. It looks like they're gonna confront you―"

"WHAT?!"

Sehun's laugh exploded and he didn't even hold back his loud hoarse.

"Making fun of you is fun," Sehun still laughed.

Daeun pouted and forcefully pinched Sehun's cheeks in annoyance.

"Ah! Ah! Stop! Stop!"

Then they both laughed like nothing else in the world mattered anymore.

"I've told Oppa to pick me up."

"Danni, didn't I tell you I'll ride you home?"

"I can't risk bringing you to my house. Umma is scary."

They left the school park and walked back to the hell to grab Daeun's belongings and they met Mark, Jiyoung, Soojung, and Jongin on the way. There were still some students cleaning up the backstage and the four seemed to do so.

"Daeun-ie! Oh Sehun!"

"Jiyoung-ah. Jung Soojung," Daeun furrowed her eyebrows. "I thought you guys went home already?"

"Kai Hyung. Mark Hyung," Sehun nodded to the boys.

"Jung Daeun, you should fix your mess first before you left," Soojung complained.

"Jung Soojung, you're just never meant to scold people with their full name like I do. That sounds awkward."

"Eunji Sunbae and Jiyeon Sunbae told us to tidy up the costumes before we go home. You're a part of this too so you should help us," Jiyoung says.

Daeun looked at the piles of clothes. "Andwae~"

"No, you must come with us," Soojung demanded as she and Jiyoung pulled Daeun's hands.

Daeun turned to her side, "But Sehun―"

"Take your time," Sehun nodded. "I'll help Jongin Hyung with the lightnings."

"Really? Good," Mark laughed.

"Euigoo... Can't Jiyeon-ssi ask somebody else?" Daeun grumbled. "Let's get this done."

Daeun walked to the dresser first but Soojung and Jiyoung glared at her.

"What?"

"Are you leaving your boyfriend just like that?" Jiyoung asked. "This might be a bit long."

Daeun looked back at Sehun but he just raised his shoulders. Mark tilted his head to Sehun's direction and pouted at Daeun. Soojung's gaze told Daeun to do but she wasn't sure what to do.

"Hun-ah, I'm going. It might be a bit long."

Daeun hesitantly took his hands and squeezed them lightly.

"That's it?" Jiyoung questioned unbelievingly. "This is seriously gonna be long, so won't you miss your baby boo, Sehun-ah?"

Soojung and Jiyoung exchanged gazes then gave Sehun that daring oh-come-on-just-freaking-do-it-to-her look. Sehun caught the clue, but he wasn't content with it.

"We're in public," Sehun said.

"He's right, guys," Daeun agreed. "That's not decent―"

"So?" Jiyoung asked.

"You're her boyfriend, it's alright," Jongin said.

"Everyone's showing PDA everywhere so you two will be just fine," Mark added.

Daeun cursed under her breath. Tonight had gone too far and she was sure Sehun would hate her after this. Their fake relationship had pushed them too far beyond the limit.

"No, Sehun..."

But Sehun gave her a simple understanding look and a brief agreeing nod.

"Come here," Sehun tapped the spot on his chin near the corner his mouth.

Daeun blinked twice and briefly exhaled before she pecked his cheek. For God's sake, Sehun was the only guy she ever kissed. Not her father, not her brothers.

"Danni," Sehun pouted.

Sehun descended down to match her height and suddenly captured her lips. She didn't expect that coming but she squeezed her eyes shut. His lips didn't move much against hers but she was done there, breathless.

"See you in an hour, JD," Jongin said. "Mark Hyung, Sehun-ah, let's go."

Daeun's heart was pounding like an 808 drum and her cheeks were boiling hot when she watched Sehun's back disappeared as the boys left.

"You're as red as tomato," Soojung giggled.

"Omo! Our Danni is soo cute!" Jiyoung chirped.

Kang Jiyoung, you're the death of me.

"What, don't you blush when Jaebum Sunbae kissed you?" Daeun snapped. "You too, Soojung-ah. What if Jongin kissed you? Wouldn't you blush?"

Soojung was quiet when Daeun mentioned it, but Jiyoung found the irritated Daeun adorable.

"That's a different case. Even when he kissed me on the lips, I was never as red as you," Jiyoung defensed. "Omo... Scarlet Danni is cute..."

Daeun hoped she would be able to sleep that night. Even when her energy was occupied to tidy up the mess backstage, her mind was still repeating the whole scene like a video put on repeated playback.

"Daeun-ie, your brother has come."

"Ah, ne."

Sehun handed her bag and patted her back.

"Have a safe ride home."

"You too," Daeun nodded. "Don't fall asleep in the bus."

Daeun turned to leave and Sehun waved goodbye at her.

"Good night, JD."

"So you start calling me like them?" Daeun laughed.

"Should've done that since."

Daeun waved back at Sehun before she walked into the car and sat next to her elder brother. He had an extra English course that night and since their hardworking mother paid for it, there was no way he could skip it to watch her sister's musical. Daeun didn't feel bad about it, though.

"Had fun?" he asked.

If it referred to her unexpected sweet moments with Sehun, then yes. "I had some," Daeun chuckled. "Just drive, Oppa."

"It's 10 already. I don't know what Umma will say about this."

"I'll just run straight to your room. She won't bark there when you're in."

It was a quiet ride but the silence was pleasing. Daeun's brother didn't drive fast (although he already had a driver license) but it didn't take long to reach home. Daeun was hopping off the car to open the gates when her phone beeped.

 

1 unread message from 오세훈

What is it?

 

Heading home safely O:) Thanks for

tonight, Aegi! Your musical was great (y) 22:12

 

Aegi? He calls me 'baby'?

Daeun's brother saw her smiling at the gates like an idiot and he knew what that was all about. Out of all people in that house, he was the only one who knew about her relationship with Sehun.

"Is that Sehun? What does he say?"

He knew it wasn't a serious relationship, but the only thing he didn't know is that it was fake.

"Aniya," Daeun opened the gates with her other hand. "Just some sweet nothing."

"I thought this wasn't something serious, but why are you two talking sweet-nothings to each other?"

"Am not. He's the only one doing it," Daeun defended. "Just park the car, Oppa."

Daeun waited until the park got in and followed her brother to step into the house. She hesitated at first, but she gave up. She held back her phone and typed a very quick message before shoving it into her pocket without looking back at it.

 

22:16 Saranghae

 

 

 



 

[AN] 안녕하세요, 클로우 입니다 ^^

Chapter 1's out with Daeun and Sehun featuring (ex) U-Kiss' Dongho, Hansol (SM Rookies), Red Velvet's Seulgi, Kara's Youngji, T-aras's Jiyeon, and After School's Kaeun. Like I said in my foreword, there won't be OCs and I'll be using the idols' real names throughout the story. I know I'm supposed to write in English but I just feel like adding some Korean terms and hangeul because this story takes place in Korea. Please bear with me~

The reason why this chapter is freaking long is because I wanted to describe how unconditional Daeun's feeling to Sehun is without rushing the pace. And I wanted to give you a little visualization (?) about their circle of friends, their history (?), and such. I really need to introduce her unconditional characteristic since she's the main protagonist. I also chose the title 'Same Patterns, Same Routine' because I wanted to explain that this (whatever-you-call-it) relationship between Sehun and Daeun has this weird regular basis. Sehun and Daeun are still friends although they rarely see each other after separating schools. And whenever they meet, with either one of them yelling out 'Over here!', Sehun will always come with a story about a new person in his life and although Daeun knows well where that's going, she still sticks to his side. As I said, she was genuinely unconditional. Whether she was plainly stupid or there was something beyond that, I'll leave it to you guys to decide (or judge, whichever you like) while you tag along this story.

#Facts:

  • Daeun's nickname is Danee (I write it as Danni ahaha whatever it sounds the same) and in real life, Sehun does call Daeun 'aegi' which means baby.
  • Narangdeu is Kai's favorite beverage. Narangdeu in Korean literally means 'have a drink with me'.

Wikipedia said that students born before March 1st in Korea will be listed one year older in the school grade so many of those who were born in January and February enter kindergarten one year early. That explained my puzzlement about why Kai didn't graduate together with Sehun when they were both SOPA's 94-liners ―turned out that Kai was Sehun's sunbae. Anyway, that also explains that Mark ('93), Jiyoung (Jan '94), and Kai (Jan '94) are a batch ahead while Sehun, Krystal, and Daeun are their juniors here. I'll elaborate their relations with each other as we progress and rest assured, Kaistal is coming~

Thank you for reading this story. That means a lot to me, you {} Feel free to drop your comments and I'm waiting for the character recommendations <3

XOX, C ~('o' ~)(~ 'o')~