Yongguk 119

B.A.P. Oneshots III

            It was one of those once in a lifetime opportunities that you cannot believe you were able to have. You had entered the sweepstakes with practically zero hope of winning the grand prize, but you figured you might as well try.

            Guillain-Barre syndrome, a rare, practically nonexistent disease that affected perhaps one in a million, happened to find its way into your body. It was an infection that affected the peripheral nerves. The signals that create sensory responses were all disrupted and sometimes there would be a nervous tingling in your limbs.

            You had difficulty moving at first and thought it was just the result of over exercise; you played softball. But when you went to the doctors, they had said it was some disconnect in your nerves. It took a few more months when your words became a little slow to come and your body became more tired.

            You went back to a neurologist and this time, they found out that you had the disease. It had scared you because you thought that you were going to lose all your muscle movements. The doctors said with treatment, you could slow down the spread of the disease and retain some work. You started physical therapy immediately. Things became worse and now you were stuck in a wheelchair. You were only grateful that so far the muscles in your chest were still working fine. Once you couldn’t breathe well, you might as well just give up on life.

            The contest you had entered was a lottery. The event was sponsored by a music entertainment channel and it had been to win a chance to meet your favorite idol. You decided that you might as well try. Other patients in the hospital had excitedly placed their names in and it took you a while to take your chance.

            You filled out the card without much thought or hope. You wanted to meet Yongguk one day, but if you couldn’t, well there was always the computer. You had placed the card into the slot and forgot about it.

            The e-mail came a month later and at first you had deleted it, thinking it was spam. But the picture of the poster rose to your mind and you had frantically searched for it. You saw that you had won and that Yongguk would be visiting your home for an hour before taking you out to dinner. Your heart thumped and you wanted to jump up from your chair and shout to the high heavens.

            “Mom!” you shouted. “Mom, I won! I can’t believe, Yongguk, I’m, he’s coming home.”

            Your mom came running. “Who? Who’s coming home?”

            You wheeled yourself to your wall and jabbed at the poster. “This man is coming to our house.”

            She cracked a grin. “Do I get to finally meet my famous son-in-law?” She came forward and hugged you. “I’m so happy for you. Talk to him. He’s really an inspiration.”

            The day when he was supposed to come arrived quickly and you smoothed your hair. You had wanted to look nice without looking over the top and were nervous. Every car that drove by had you peering out the window. When a dark van finally pulled up, you let out a squeal.

            “Get it out of your system now,” your mom laughed. You fanned yourself and wished that you could stand and rush at him for a hug.

            Yongguk was as perfect as you imagined. He came, without makeup, and even then he was beautiful. He smiled at you and bowed. “Nice to meet you.” He couldn’t hide the happy grin that was spreading across his face.

            You were awestruck. You stared at him a few seconds too long and your mom nudged you. You stammered out your name and he took your hand in his and shook it. He stood behind you and pushed your wheelchair over to the sofa and sat next to you. The two of you stared at one another awkwardly and he burst into laughter.

            “So,” he started. “Congratulations, first off.” You nodded and he coughed. “I did some research on the disease and you know, it’s rare but there’s always hope. I know it’s not much but I know how hard it is to give up something you like. I’ve always been able to do music but there were difficult times. I know you can find something else for you.”

            You listened to him as he talked and realized that he was right. The disease may have crippled you from below but you could still think and be active. Yongguk smiled. “Do you want to skip dinner and throw some pitches at me later? I know you can still stand if supported and I hope your mom will be okay with it.”

            You stared at the perfection in front of you. You nodded and he stood up, taking you with him briefly. Your legs wobbled a bit and you ended up in his arms, leaning against his chest. Your ear heard the vibration when he chuckled. “Oops, can I say that was also another dream come true?”

 

this is for K-Popfan2013