Jongup 112

B.A.P. Oneshots III

            When you first told him, it was casually, over dinner and it took him a good three minutes to catch on. His mouth paused mid-chew and the hand holding his fork slowly placed itself back down on the table. You couldn’t fight the grin that was rapidly spreading across your face. Your cheeks were flushed and finally Jongup’s eyes widened and his lips grew into a laugh.

            “You’re wonderful, you’re absolutely perfect.”

            And that was when the whirlwind began. It was never a question that you wanted to start a family with Jongup but never really thought about just how enthusiastic he would be. He threw himself into preparing the baby with gusto and was constantly thinking of ways to improve.

            “I think first we need to get the nursery ready. I’d say we prepare the crib and start clearing out the room. We will need clothes, but that can come later, when we know how big the baby will be. And I already looked into supplements for you. You have to make sure to exercise but not too much!” He was babbling and you barely heard.

            Instead, you stared at him with adoration in your eyes. Pending motherhood had sprouted all sorts of maternal feelings within you and you found yourself falling harder for your husband. You had always known you married someone you could rely on but Jongup was proving himself to be more than just that.

            “You should also tell me every time you crave something. It means the baby is hungry and we have to keep the baby fed and hello? Earth to my love. Are you even listening?”

            You smiled brightly and impulsively leaned in to kiss his cheek. “I love you.”

            He was stunned for a bit before turning to face you with a sly grin. “Ay, do you really think that was enough?” he murmured before placing his palm on your cheeks for a deep kiss.

            The two of you were drunk on laughter that night. You had just came back from a sonogram and had spent the whole day at the beach. You lay against Jongup’s chest and stared at the night sky. His arms wrapped around your waist as you both breathed in the fresh air. He placed a kiss against your hair.

            “How about we give our baby a nickname?”

            You grinned. “Why? Because calling the baby ‘fetus’ is just too degrading?”

            His fingers laced between yours. “Shush. You’re supposed to be a good role model for the baby. Don’t let her hear you say such things.”

            “Her?” You twisted a little to stare at him. “Uppie, how do you even know it’s going to be a girl?”

            Your husband looked down at you with a small smile across his lips. “She’s my baby. Of course I know.”

            Just to , you pretended to be offended. “And I’m the one carrying her. Shouldn’t I know better?” But all too quickly, you realized your slip.

            Jongup’s eyes widened. “See! You called the baby ‘her’ too!”

            The breeze through the window was soothing and your laughter echoed out to the night. You gazed adoringly at Jongup as he held your hand tightly in his. “You’re right. It is going to be a baby girl.” At first, you had wanted to keep a secret a little longer but the two of you were in this together. It only made sense that you knew too.

            It was one of those rare nights when the moon was shining brightly with no clouds. The city lights were dim and didn’t cast glares like they usually did. In your ear, Jongup was humming a lullaby, a song that you had long memorized the words to. A tiny tear slipped from the corner of your eye.

            Immediately, his fingertip was there to catch it. “Oops, looks like something has Mommy emotional.” His grip on your waist tightened. “What is it love?”

            “Nothing. You.” You mumbled thickly through your tears.

            “I’m not nothing,” he teased but placed a soothing kiss on your cheek nonetheless. “I’m so excited. Don’t cry. I promise I’m going to be the best father I can be.”

            He leaned you back against him and pointed at the sky. “Look. We forgot what we were talking about. Nicknames. Why don’t we call her Sun?”

            “It’s nighttime, Jongup.” True to your relationship, you still couldn’t resist deadpanning him when he said something out of the ordinary.

He tsked gently. “I know that. But I’m the Moon, and you’re my Star. So it only makes sense that our baby would be the Sun, the center of our universe. What do you say?”

            You couldn’t help but smile contently. “I think that’s perfect.” He spanned his fingers across your growing belly and you could feel the hope and happiness that was growing there. It was time your world was made even more complete than it was already, and lucky for the two of you, there was only three more month’s wait time.