Himchan 110

B.A.P. Oneshots III

            It taken three years of imprisonment, two civil wars and one near death experience to finally reach where you were. There was a solemn air as you tried to look out from the ceremonial veil. Your eyes were on your feet as they took you step by step towards your destiny. A hand hovered near your hand, ready to keep you steady in case you wavered. But there would be no falling today.

            Once you walked up the steps of the monument, the guiding hand helped you turn. There was a low rumbling around the crowd as the moment finally came. “Announcing the next Queen.” And then your veil was ripped off and you were facing your people.

            “Bless the Queen; May Your Highness live a thousand years of happiness,” came the greeting as the officials raised their arms in the air and simultaneously got on their knees, knocking their forehead respectfully onto their folded hands.

            After you were given your due respects, there was another firmer hold on your elbow and you looked up to see the handsome face of the man who had been your partner throughout it all. His splendid red robes with the gold brocade fell perfectly around his shoulders and his features held a regality that fit the gold spun crown on his head. You gave a hint of a smile, thinking of the private words you two had shared earlier. “Royalty looks good on you, Channie.”

            Your journey had begun when you journeyed in a small litter, rocking and swaying back and forth through the terrain. Born as a princess of a small territory, you had been sent to the larger neighboring country as a peace offering. Always more opinionated than was preferred for women of your status, you had decided to make the most of the marriage. Even if you hated your husband, you vowed to see him to greatness.

            Little did you know the Prince had been a man who not only shared your ambitions but had a charm and kindness to him that made you truly love him. He could be ruthless when it came to his enemies, but to you, he always showed a softness that nobody else saw. His people knew him to be fair and just. And when the war tipped into your borders, it was Himchan who was at the head of the army, leading his small but loyal soldiers against the vast troops of the tyrant who sought to unite all the territories.

            That was the first time you realized a country’s people can turn on their own. The officials in the court were torn. Some wanted to fight for unification, others wanted to remain independent. Your husband, however, wanted unification, but with him at the head. It was a wild dream. How could the Prince of a small country possibility defeat the well trained troops, and long established dynasties of a land as great as your neighbors? It was sheer madness, but you were determined to help him achieve it.

            You had been brought up to be a good wife, and in the centuries of wars, your father had understood that being a good wife meant more than just raising children and making meals. You were skilled at martial arts and your first major argument as husband and wife was when Himchan found you in a full suit of armor in the middle of your room.

            “What are you doing?”

            “You can’t think I’m going to stay at home.”

            His eyes flashed dangerously. “I didn’t think I had to think otherwise.”

            “Kim Himchan, I’m not going to sit here and wait for news while I could be next to you, fighting for your path to the crown.”

            His fingers circled your wrist as he pulled you close. “And I’m not going to lose the crown just because I have to look over my shoulder to make sure you’re okay.”

            You both were coming from places of the heart and it took days of demonstration of your abilities for him to finally give a grunt of grudging approval. “Okay, but if I tell you to retreat, you must.”

            You fluttered your lashes at him and pursed your lips for a kiss. “Yes, husband dearest.”

            The war was over in three months. It was an astounding defeat, one that almost crushed Himchan’s spirits. But you were determined. The fact that you had to surrender meant nothing. “It’s not like we lost all of our men. Sometimes you have to retreat to attack.”

            Despite having to surrender, you had managed to gain and hold onto a major port. This was a victory and when the tyrant finally passed away, it was the perfect madness and chaos that bred another war.

            This time the country you were fighting was one that your cousin ruled. When you met his eyes on the battlefield, he had mercilessly captured you, throwing you into prison, and tortured you for information. You kept quiet, only exposing details for red herrings. But you were convincing enough that they followed the wrong thread, a decoy route that had your cousin stumbling for a good half a year before he realized that you had lied to him.

            When he came down to the cellar, the torture increased and he would have killed you if it weren’t for the fact that maybe Himchan would come get you and you could be bait. The years passed bleakly after this.

One day, the prison was exceptionally quiet. The guards who usually watched over you had disappeared. Instead, there was a familiar face peering through the bars at you in pain. Somehow, Himchan had managed to send one of his most trusted guards and he barely recognized you. Three years had aged you and the years of being starved and beaten showed.

            “My Lady.” The guard had been aghast, dropping on one knee, determined to get revenge on those who had made you this way but escape was more important.

            You pulled him up. “Is Himchan okay?”

            Thankfully, he nodded and you breathed out a sigh of relief. Prison was dark and you had been out of touch with reality for the last three years. You winced slightly as the bodyguard supported you on his back. Your eyes flashed quickly around the hell hole that had been your home for the last few years and you vowed that you would make sure your cousin ended up in a scenario worse than this.

            When you were finally reunited with Himchan, he had aged. His cheekbones were harsh and there was a coldness in his eyes that only years of killing and survival could sharpen. But they softened immediately once you fell on his feet.

            Due to the injuries on your body, you were dressed in the thinnest of silk. It has been so long since you last felt so clean and your heart ached painfully to know that you couldn’t be by his side as he battled his way through borders and past enemy lines. All the tears and sorrow that you had kept cooped up finally came out in a torrent and Himchan tucked you under his chin.

            That night, when he opened you up and saw the scars and wounds, his jaw tightened. “I’m going to make him pay. He’s already losing. I’m so close, baby. There are just two more territories to seize. I already have my officials ready for takeover in the Palace.” His lips brushed gently against the bruises but you endured the pain, welcoming the soothing balm.

            He wasn’t lying. Within three months, you had seized the capital. Your cousin had been captured and was awaiting torture before execution. After years of bloodbath, the people were tired. Each one turned to Himchan for his guidance. His fame had spread for his benevolence to his people and his courage on the battlefield.

            The morning of the crowning ceremony, you gently placed the crown, so heavy yet so magnificent, on his head and kissed him softly. “Royalty looks good on you, Channie.”

            The two of you stood side by side, staring at the sea of bowed heads and you finally felt a sense of peace. You had succeeded. You vowed you would get Himchan on the throne, and here you were. The rumble as everyone in the hall wished you two long health calmed you and you vowed that next, you would do your best to establish a dynasty that was strong and just.

            “Thank you,” Himchan whispered. He tucked a strand of your hair behind your ear and stared at you intently.

            Your lips quirked a little as you took both his hands and placed them on your stomach. “You can thank me once the heir to the throne is born.” There was a look of astonishment and then joy as he swept your feet from underneath you and carried you to the royal bed.

 

I'm recently watching Secret of Three Kingdoms and the historical au has been majorly influencing my work haha 

This isn't the first and won't be the last