Zelo 104

B.A.P. Oneshots III

            “Are you going later?” Your roommate stood in front of your doorway, eyeing you as you fixed your makeup.

            “Going where?”

            “Junhong’s pool party. The invite has been sent out at least two weeks ago. I thought you knew it was today.”

            Satisfied with your look, you placed the mascara wand down. “I don’t know. I have this stupid date to go to.”

            The girl in front of you pursed her lips. “I’m telling you he’s a waste of time. Should have told your aunt, thanks but no thanks. You should come to the pool party.”

            You gave your roommate a small smile. “I should at least meet him once. Then I’ll gently shake my head and tell him, sorry, I’m busy. You go. Maybe I’ll swing by when the date is over.”

            She rolled her eyes, letting them hang upwards for a good five seconds. “You’re too good.”

            Exactly three hours after that conversation, you found yourself making your way up the gravel driveway to Junhong’s backyard. A massive resort meadow was probably the better word for it. You always knew the Chois had money but this was beyond your imagination. The thumping bass of a popular rap song radiated below your sandals and you could hear laughter.

            You felt obnoxiously overdressed among the colorful prints of bikinis and swimming trunks. One hand went to tug self-consciously on your black dress. The date had been as boring as you had predicted it would be but you hadn’t thought to bring a set of clothes to change into. You stood among the mass of people milling around, each with a cocktail in hand, not quite sure what to do.

            The sun was still shining despite it being late afternoon and the yellowish haze made everything seem softer. There was suddenly loud yelling and you turned your head in the direction of where the attention seemed to be centered around. A tall lanky figure had gotten onto the edge of one of the many pools and suddenly the music changed to a more sensual R&B one.

            You watched in absolute amusement as you recognized the figure to be Junhong. He had a hat that covered his eyes but you could tell it was him from a mile away. No one else was quite as tall in your college group. You clapped along with everyone else as he started dancing. Having known him since middle school, you knew how good of a dancer he was and it was amusing to watch him dance precariously on the edge of the pool.

            When the song ended, he took off his hat and bowed deeply, milking up the whistles and cheers of the crowd. You couldn’t help but laugh along, clapping and shaking your head as he straightened again. The change in angle allowed him to see you. When your eyes met, a broad smile spread across his face. He hopped off the pool and made his way towards you, politely brushing off the pulls of people trying to compliment him along the way.

            “Hey. You made it.” There was something different about his tone when he said that. The smile on his face made it obvious that he was happy you came. But the words that came out of his mouth were surprisingly intimate.

            You laughed. Maybe you were overthinking. The heat and black dress was a deadly combo that clearly fried your brain a little. “Yep. I made it.” At that moment, your roommate came flying over.

            She slung her arm around your shoulder. “Baby girl, I knew you would make it.” Her words were already slightly slurred and you knew that she was on her way to getting drunk.

            “Are you alright?” You asked her and she shook her head.

            “You don’t worry about me.” With a mischievous look, she tipped her chin at Junhong. “Rather, my poor baby girl here just went on a terrible set-up date with this horrific bore. I’m going to entrust her to you to take her back to human civilization, Hongie.” With a gentle push, she wiggled her fingers and left you alone with Junhong again.

            There was definitely a faint blush on your cheeks. “Um, she’s drunk, clearly.” You found yourself weirdly nervous. This was Choi Junhong. You’ve watched him grow from the awkwardly tall kid who always had tissue paper stuck up his nose to this. This, being a tall, well sculpted man who was currently smiling down at you with the gentlest smile you have ever seen him wear.

            “No wonder you looked so pretty today. I’m jealous I wasn’t the one you wore that for. But I guess the guy wasn’t good enough to appreciate what he had in front of him.”

            He was speaking gibberish. This was his pool party and he wanted to be a good host. The sharp sting of alcohol was everywhere; he was definitely tipsy. You swallowed hard. “This is quite a nice party you have going on. I wish I was dressed more appropriately.”

            Junhong gave the crowd a cursory glance and shrugged nonchalantly. “This? It’s a nice way to end summer before the semester begins. But I also wanted to see you.”

            You gave a hesitant chuckle. “S-see me?”

            “Yeah.” He was standing closer to you. Out of the corner of your eye, you saw his hand reach up to touch your dress. “And I think you’re dressed fine. It’s elegant, and I’d much rather you not show off too much to the rest of these rowdy guys here anyway.”

            Reality was before you. Junhong was not at all subtly flirting with you. Was this even considered flirting? He was speaking to you almost as if you were already dating. There was nothing shy or awkward about his sentences; only forward statements.

            “I’m sorry.” And then it was like he realized all the words he had been saying. “I just really like you, and I figured it was about time to let you know. It wasn’t a very direct way of going about it, and now I’ve probably made a fool of myself.”

            You were utterly dumbstruck. Seeing that you didn’t outright deny him made him breathe a little easier. Junhong held out his hand. “Do you want to go inside, and we can talk about it?”

            “I wouldn’t want to take you away from the party.”

            He shook his head. “I threw this party mainly to see you. The others can find ways to entertain themselves.” That part was true. Someone had found a karaoke machine and plugged it in. There was now a competition and sing-along going. “Let’s go?”

            You took his hand, feeling his large palm and long fingers enclose your small one in it. It didn’t feel weird as much as unexpected. He led you through the patio doors and into a spacious dining room. You watched as he poured you a glass of lemonade. “Nothing alcoholic because I want you completely sober to answer me,” he smiled.

            That elicited a grin from you. You were surprised to find that you were holding your breath, as if the impending conversation was one that you had expectations for. Junhong slid into the chair next to you and took your hands.

            “I know this seems out of the blue and feel free to stop me if it gets weird or uncomfortable. We’ve known each other for a long time now, and next year is our last in college. I’m pretty sure I’ve had a crush on you for forever but you were always so unattainable. I tried in high school, actually, if you remember.”

            You flashed back to those awkward teenage years. Junhong always had a class with you, but that was through luck of scheduling. You always talked but it was mundane. “Did you not find a letter from a secret admirer?” He was rubbing his nape shyly.

            The image of a pink envelope and large, scrawled handwriting surfaced. “That was you?”

            “Didn’t work so hot. You didn’t show up.”

            “I did! But then there was a fire drill and I had to leave.”

            Junhong laughed out loud. “I thought that was a clear sign of rejection.” He allowed the laughter from reminiscing to fade before clearing his throat. “And freshman year college you were dating that douche, so it was always missed chances.”

            You smiled thinly at the mention of your ex. “So why now?”

            He shrugged. “I went abroad and I think I just gained more confidence. And we have one more year left. I’d like to experience the campus couple life with you.” Gone was the cool exterior. Junhong was blinking a bit now, clear signs that he was nervous. It was also endearing because it was a habit he has always had that you’ve noticed through the years. “Can you, can you say something please?”

            It was a lot to comprehend at once. You took a sip of your lemonade. Junhong’s grip on your hand tightened a little. “I guess I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have a crush on you before too.” You laughed a little. “In our middle school year book, you signed page fourteen.” The grin on his face told you he knew what you meant. Back then, the fourteenth signature represented your lover. “I had to rip out one of the pages before that so nobody could tease me about it.”

            At this, Junhong laughed out loud. But then a worried look came over his face. “But you said the crush was before?”

            “I’d like to give us a try. I definitely still harbor a crush, especially now that you’re all,” you waved your hands at him.

            He smirked a little. “All abs and arms of steel?”

            “Yes,” you chuckled. “And no. Just confident, and so forward. I like it. I like you.”

            The happiness that spread across his face made it all worth it. “Can I kiss you?”

            You turned your face to him. “You’ve been quite forward all afternoon. Why the shyness now?”

            Junhong looked a little embarrassed. He leaned forward in his seat and pulled you to him. He placed a hand on your cheek and gently pressed his lips to yours. You heard the chair scrape a little as he shifted to deepen the kiss. When he finally let go, you found yourself a little breathless.

            He smiled. “Wow. You taste better than I imagined.”

            You shyly looked down at your entwined hands. “Should we go outside now?”

            “I suppose so. Time to make the announcement that a new power couple will be dominating the campus this coming year.”

            “You wouldn’t.”

            Junhong laughed. “I won’t if you’re against it. But believe me, they all are rooting for us. Especially your roommate.” He playfully ducked your swat. The moment the two of you stepped back outside, however, there was a deafening applause and Junhong’s two best friends rushed forward to pick you two up.

            “Into the pool you two lovebirds go!” They threw Junhong in first and gently handed you off to him. Water splashed everywhere and you giggled as you held onto his neck.

            “What a well thought out party,” you commented pointedly.

            “More like a well-planned out confession.”

 

THE TEASER IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I'M SO HAPPY I CAN'T BREATHE

IT'S SO GORGEOUS AND I HAVE SO MANY FEELS FOR THIS COMEBACK. 

Also this is for swoopingisbad99. I had quite a bit of fun writing this hehe