Speak To Me

Speaking 반말

  The day when I first saw you

  Your bright smile full of shyness

  We'll get closer after today

  Everyday, i have heart-fluttering expectations

 

  Jongin was sixteen when he first met Kyungsoo during the latter's second week of being an SM trainee. He had bumped into him while rushing to Dance Class, causing a whole stack of music scores to go flying.

  Jongin paled at the mess he had made. He was already late for Dance Class, but he couldn't just leave this kid behind to clear the mess he had created. With a few hurried repetitions of "I'm sorry!", Jongin raced around in a mad frenzy, chasing after every loose piece of score sheet. Once he had gathered everything, he went back to the person whom he had bumped into and handed the stack to him. Jongin opened his mouth to apologize once more, but the other guy stopped him with a bright smile on his face.

  "It's okay, I got my scores back after all. No need to apologize."

  Jongin blinked. This guy had really huge eyes.

  The other seemed to realize this fact, for he broke off eye contact with Jongin and avoided his gaze. Jongin immediately felt like a huge douche.

  "Hey, I still feel bad about it, so can I invite you out some time? My treat, since I'm the one who caused this mess."

  "Really?"

  The guy had looked back in shock, abnormally large eyes blinking freakishly.

  "I mean it."

  "Okay."

  The guy had replied so softly, Jongin nearly missed it.

  "Cool. My name's Jongin. What's yours?

  "Kyungsoo." the boy replied back softly, evidently still shy.

  "Well, see you around Kyungsoo." Jongin said, before giving a little wave and leaving for Dance Class.

  He was skipping off merrily before he remembered that he was late, giving out a yelp and dashing off.

 

  What to say to you

  How to get you to laugh

  I fear it'll get awkward when I try to hold your hand

  All I can do is smile shyly

 

  After that one round of lunch, Jongin found himself seeking out Kyungsoo a lot more often. Their first lunch had been painfully awkward, with Jongin wondering what to speak to Kyungsoo about, and trying to inject humor into their conversation, as Kyungsoo had been rigid and stiff. It had been quite fruitful though, as Jongin had found out a bit more about Kyungsoo, albeit the latter's shy and quiet ways.

  Jongin had gaped in shock in what he thought was probably a really ugly manner when Kyungsoo had revealed his age. He gaped even further when Kyungsoo announced his birthday. But he nodded knowingly when Kyungsoo professed his specialty.

  "Just as I thought."

  "What were you thinking then?" Kyungsoo challenged.

  "You're the build and stature of a vocalist. You didn't seem to be a dancer, or else you wouldn't have crashed into me that day. And I can't see you rapping. So naturally you'd be a vocalist." Jongin explained.

  "Fair enough."

  As they left the small diner where they'd had their lunch at, Jongin reached out his hand to hold Kyungsoo's, but chickened out at the last minute, worrying that it'd be too much for a one time lunch. The gesture however, did not go unmissed by Kyungsoo, who whipped his head back at lightning speed and questioned him about what he was doing.

  "Nothing really," Jongin said, cooing inwardly at Kyungsoo's adorably confused expression.

 

  Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other

  Even though it's still awkward and unfamiliar

  Instead of saying 'thank you'

  Talk to me in a friendlier way

 

  It had been three weeks of mucking around with him, but Kyungsoo was still so awkward around him. Jongin had declined, insisting that speaking too formally would make him mature before his age.

  (He'd received a small slap on the arm from Kyungsoo, but had grinned nonetheless.)

  The tiny accident happened about a couple of weeks later.

  Kyungsoo and Jongin had been walking down the stairs to the cafeteria, when Kyungsoo tripped.

  Before Jongin even registered what was happening, natural instincts kicked in, his arms shooting forward to wrap themselves around Kyungsoo's waist to stop him from hitting the ground.

  They stayed in the same position for a while, until Kyungsoo coughed awkwardly, snapping Jongin to his senses. He let Kyungsoo regain his footing before releasing his arms from around Kyungsoo.

  They remained in silence for a while, before Kyungsoo broke the silence with a gruff "Thank you." Jongin frowned. Kyungsoo was still speaking formally to him.

  "Well, I am going for lunch now."

  As soon as the words were out of his mouth, Kyungsoo scurried off, face turning red.

  Jongin watched Kyungsoo leaving with sad eyes.

  "I'll make you speak banmal to me someday, Hyung." he whispered.

 

  Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other

  You walk towards me slowly, step by step

  Now look at my eyes and tell me

  I love you

 

  Jongin watched his hyung sleeping that night.

  The company decided to reschedule dorm arrangements, and Jongin had been reshuffled to room with Kyungsoo. He had been delighted when he met his new roommate, as he saw it as an opportunity to train Kyungsoo to speak banmal to him.

  (And he would never admit it, but to see Kyungsoo nearly 24/7 was another good thing about this reshuffle of roommates.)

  As he watched Kyungsoo sleep, Jongin couldn't help but note how adorable his hyung looked. The eyes that gave him a permanent surprised look were now covered. Jongin just wished that one day, those same eyes would look directly into his and tell him just what he wanted to hear.

  Moving his lips down, he pressed them gently onto Kyungsoo's forehead, before leaving the room, muttering a soft "I like you, hyung."

 

  The day when I held your hand

  I felt my heart stop beating

  I don't even remember what I said

  All I feel is a flutter in my stomach

 

  Kyungsoo and Jongin were returning from the movies. They had been given a free day off from training, and Kyungsoo had used it to treat Jongin to a movie. It was nearing the end of Kyungsoo's first year of training, and Jongin's fourth. Yet Jongn felt like he had known Kyungsoo for ages. He felt so comfortable around the elder that he couldn't believe he had known the elder for less than a year.

  It was late November, and it had already started snowing. The trees were barren, the ground held the beginnings of snow, and people walking on the street were already wearing warmer wear. Jongin, whose family lived in Seoul, was due to visit them in a couple of weeks. His mind flashed back to the conversation he had had with Kyungsoo a week ago, and remembered: Kyungsoo's family resided in Gyeonggi-do.

  Turning to Kyungsoo, Jongin asked: "Hyung, are you going home for Christmas this year?"

  His face falls as he notices Kyungsoo remain silent.

  "Hyung?"

  "Thing is Jongin, I'm not. Gyeonggi-do's too far. I suppose I'll be spending Christmas alone."

  Jongin frowned at the answer.

  "Well that's settled then Hyung. You're coming back with me."

  "W-w-what?"

  "You heard me. You're coming back with me for Christmas this year."

  "I-I can't do that Jongin-ah."

  "Hyung," Jongin admonishes. "Christmas is a family holiday. At least spend it with someone if you can't spend it with yours."

  Jongin looked at Kyungsoo straight in the eyes, and watches as Kyungsoo starts getting teary.

  "T-t-t-thanks, Jongin-ah."

  Jongin smiled. "No problem Hyung! You just owe me a cup of hot chocolate when we get back."

  Kyungsoo laughs a little, nose turning red from the cold.

  Jongin notices, and slips his gloved hand into Kyungsoo's. He sees Kyungsoo's eyes go wide at the sudden action.

  "Jongin-ah, what are you-"

  "You're cold Hyung, lemme hold onto you until we get to the dorm.

  Jongin feels his stomach filled with butterflies as Kyungsoo tightens his grip.

 

  Hopefully we can fall in love with each other

  I'll never let go of your two hands from my grasp

  The light of your eyes, gazing at me

  I hope there will only be joyful smiles

 

  "Jongin-ah, you know how to play the guitar?"

  Jongin looks up into the wide eyes of his roommate eyeing his guitar.

  "Yeah, I do. But I'm not that good or anything."

  Jongin watches Kyungsoo take his guitar, and looks on in awe as Kyungsoo hesitantly strums a few chords.

  "You know how to play, Hyung?"

  Kyungsoo smiled, looking briefly at Jongin before training his eyes back to the guitar. "A little."

  "Say Hyung, wanna learn a song?"

  "Sure."

  "Lemme sing the whole song out first."

  And with that, Jongin starts strumming on his guitar, and singing the song that he wants to let his hyung know.

 

The day when I first saw you

Your bright smile full of shyness
we’ll get closer after today
Every day, I have heart-fluttering expectations

What to say to you
How to get you to laugh
I fear it’ll get awkward when I try to hold your hand
All I can do is smile shyly

Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other
Even though it’s still awkward and unfamiliar
Instead of saying ‘thank you’
Talk to me in a friendlier way

Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other
You walk towards me slowly, step by step
Now look at my two eyes and tell me
I love you

The day when I held your hand
I felt my heart stop beating
I don’t even remember what I said
All I feel is a flutter in my stomach

Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other
Even though it’s still awkward and unfamiliar
Instead of saying ‘thank you’
Talk to me in a friendlier way

Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other
You walk towards me slowly, step by step
Now look at my two eyes and tell me
I love you

Hopefully we can fall in love with each other
I’ll never let go of your two hands from my grasp
The light of your eyes, gazing at me
I hope there will only be joyful smiles

We can probably fall in love with each other
We can lean on one another and take care of each other
Looking into your eyes, my two eyes
They’re talking to you
I love you

 

  As Jongin finished the song, he saw a shocked Kyungsoo staring at him. Undeterred. Jongin leans over to him, whispering an "I love you, Hyung." before pressing his lips to Kyungsoo's.

  When they separate, Jongin sees Kyungsoo looking confused, and decided to confess.

  "I've liked you for a while now Hyung. I like how you're so innocent and kind and thoughtful and sweet. You're always looking out for me, and you're so generous. I'm sorry for such a crappy confession Hyung, I'm not good with words. But trust me when I say you mean a lot to me. If you agree to be mine Hyung, I promise that I won't let you down. I'll always be there for you and make sure that you keep that beautiful smile of yours on your face. All I just want is to see you being happy everyday."

  He had barely finished when arms wrapped around his waist tightly, and his shirt started to get moist as Kyungsoo teared up into his shirt. After Kyungsoo had calmed down significantly, he had placed a kiss on Jongin's cheek, saying: " I expect you to keep your promise."

  He giggled as he watched Jongin blush from the kiss.

 

  We can probably fall in love with each other

  We can lean on one another and take care of each other

  Looking into your eyes, my two eyes

  They're talking to you

  I love you

 

  Jongin was cuddling with Kyungsoo on the sofa in their dorm.

  It ws their last night in their dorm. Tomorrow, they would be moving out and sharing a bigger dorm with four other boys.

  Jongin made a mental note to request for a room with Kyungsoo.

  "Can you believe it?" Kyungsoo murmured.

  "Believe what, babe?"

  "We're debuting. We're finally debuting. We're gonna be famous and see our faces on TV, and people are gonna love us. And-"

  Jongin looked questioningly at his boyfriend, who had suddenly gone silent.

  "Soo, what's wrong?"

  He turned Kyungsoo around to face him, and was met with Kyungsoo's worried face.

  "Soo, c'mon you can tell me."

  "What if people hate us? What if we don't make it?"

  The wods barely came out as more than a whisper, but Jongin heard them all the same. He leaned forward to touch their foreheads together, and looked Kyungsoo straight in the eye.

  "Don't think this way. We WILL make it. And how can people hate you? They're going to love you just like how I love you. Besides, you're so lovable that people will love you quickly. And then-"

  Jongin paused to give Kyungsoo a quick peck on the lips, and gave a small laugh when Kyungsoo squeaked in surprise.

  "-I'll have competition."

  "You're silly, you know that? Well, since I'm so lovable, I'm going to be even more lovable from today onwards. I'm going to cook for you, and cuddle with you to sleep every night."

  "Hyung! You're speaking banmal!"

  Jongin squealed as he watched Kyungsoo look shocked by himself (because Kyungsoo just looked sooooo cute doing that).

  "....You're right, Jongin! I think it's mostly because of you. Your informal ways rub off on me."

  Kyungsoo giggled as Jongin nuzzled into his neck in happiness.

  "You can speak formally to everyone, Hyung. Just speak informally to me."

  "Why should I do that?"

  "Cause I'm your boyfriend. I'm special."

  Kyungsoo giggled again, snuggling into Jongin's chest.

  "Jongin-ah."

  "Yes Hyung?"

  "How could have competition, when my eyes only see you, and my mouth and heart only tell you 'I love you'?"