Chapter 1

Cross Stitches

The sound of a sewing machine's constant work rang throughout the room. The entire studio gave off a rustic feeling, along with the smell of wood. Perhaps this was a new breath apart from the usual modern bridal shops. Wandering into the little studio made me smile a little. This place felt as though there was a deep history in here, and that many memories were locked in here. Soft, delicate fingers wraps themselves around my wrists, before I realise that I was being pulled over to the centre of the room by Ha Neul. She's the future wife of Chang Min, a young bride to be. She smiles affectionately at me, noting how I actually showed a little smile ever since the morning had started today. I look around, fascinated by the exquisite bridal gowns donned on different mannequins. My fingers skim over the soft fabric of a piece at the corner, noting how the design was intricate. Whoever made this sure had a lot of patience and craftmanship. Not noticing that the couple had moved further into the room and had bowed to someone and even greeted them, I was lost in my own world. Never had I seen such handmade gowns like these. Ha Neul cheekily pokes me on the shoulder, then points to the gown that I was looking at. 

"Honey, look at that one that Soo Hyun's looking at! It just looks like it'll fit the theme of our wedding. What do you think?" Chang Min nods enthusiastically, pecking her cheek softly as she giggles. Chang Min and Ha Neul are a sweet couple, but being around them annoyingly reminds me of how lonely I am. I force out a small smile and turns over to look at the two of them, my heart slightly breaking at the scene I see. No, I'm not jealous of Ha Neul. I'm just jealous of the love they shared. Love.. People say that it's simple, but it's always the one that breaks all of us in the end.

"Excuse me, can we let the bride to be try on this piece?" I ask, my eyes darting to the other figure in the room. He had a yellow measuring tape around his collar, along with a grey blazer. He looks up upon my voice, and just gives a slight nod as he moves towards the mannequin. Quietly, he pulls the gown off gently and hands it over to me. 

"For you," he mutters, looking down at the gown. He sounded so down. It was as though he couldn't bear to part with this gown somehow. My heart breaks at the sight of the sad man. Perhaps he was just attached to the pieces that he made. Afterall, it was based on his own hard work, blood, sweat and tears. I smile and shakes my head. "I'm not the bride to be. She is." Directing him to Ha Neul, her eyes shine at the sight of the gown. Said man smiles politely in return, satisfied that his customer certainly loved whatever he had created from scratch. Chang Min takes out his tuxedo from a box and ushers Ha Neul in to try out the gown, and to see how they looked like together. I chuckle at how Ha Neul still swoons over Chang Min in a suit, even before he's donned on one. The couple hurries to the changing room. However, I notice how said man looks at them with envy. He stares at their back views, all the way till they enter the changing rooms. He hurries back to his work table, grabbing a used paper to continue his designs.

Spotting a wooden chair beside the table, I quietly sit beside the man. His eyes furrow in concentration, his fingers moving quickly to sketch out more lines. He appeared to be frustrated for some reason. I could hear his breathing get harsher. Hesitantly, I tap the corner of the paper that he was furiously sketching away on. He stops and looks up to me, his eyes softening. He shakes his head and puts his pencil down. Looking at one of the photo frames that held a polaroid of him and another female, I notice his name on it. 

"Jung... Taek Woon?"

"H-How did you know?"

I laugh softly, pointing at the polaroid picture. He gasps and grabs the photo frame, storing it into one of his cardboards. He heaves a sigh of relief and turns around.

"Normally I don't put pictures out here when I meet my customers. It was a mistake."

"No, you look really happy in that picture. How is that a mistake?" I challenged him with a smile on my face, my head tilting to the side a little. This man is interesting. He puffs for a moment and shoves his hands into his pockets. I was about challenge him somemore, which was highly unlike me, until Ha Neul and Chang Min came out, arms linked together with the gown and tuxedo in their hands.

"It's a really great fit! Thanks Taek Woon sshi, I really like this design. I'll come back again with Chang Min to discuss with you about the other gowns that I would want to wear for the dinners." Ha Neul shakes his hand, followed by Chang Min. Unexpectedly, the man turns to face me and holds his hand out to shake mine too. A little unsure of why he wanted to do so, I shook his hand shyly. 

"I look forward to seeing all of you again during our next meeting." Taek Woon says, his eyes never leaving mine. He pulls away from the handshake after that, giving a little smile. Ha Neul and Chang Min looks at us with curiosity, a little confused. "Sure, we'll see you next week then! I'll bring Soo Hyun along with us too. You'll come with us right, Soo Hyun?" I break out of my stance and turns to Chang Min, nodding my head at his question. I have no idea what I had just placed myself into.

"That's great. Really great." Taekwoon whispers. He then ushers us to the exit of his studio. I feel myself getting goosebumps as he moves closer towards us. His voice was etched into my mind. This is going to be bad. As we bade our goodbyes, I turn one last time to look at Taek Woon. He smiles at me, but somehow that smile made me feel that there was something else much more to that shy smile.

"We'll meet again very soon, Soo Hyun." He says quietly, staying at the flight of steps down to our car. I look up at him, a little uncertain.

Jung Taek Woon, I'm not sure if we should meet again.