Summer Love

BLIND DATE

It was her favorite time of the year, and not because she really love the heat but because it was the one time of year she saw him. For three blissful, warm months, she spent the majority of days with him. She stared at the white, puffy clouds changing shapes above her. She lay among the green blades of grass, waiting until four pm. June third, four pm, every year, was the day and time he arrived.

The sun shined bright, radiating heat all over the earth's surface. Beads of perspiration slowly trickled down her face and she decided it was time to go inside. After all, forty three minutes stood between her and him together.

She smoothed her tank top after standing up and ran a hand through her short blonde hair. Her sister, Jiyeon was making cookies; she could smell them as she walked into the house.

"How many minutes?" her sister asked with her back turned to her anxious sister.

"Forty two."

"Are you meeting him at the beach?"

"Yep, I better get going." She ran to her room and changed into her swimsuit. Grabbing a large beach bag, she stuffed a few towels and a blanket in it and grabbed her car keys.

"Bye baby, I'll be home," she paused, "I don't know when I'll be home, I'll check in."

"Alright sweetheart, have fun."

She ran to her banana yellow car, threw the bag in the passenger seat, buckled her seat belt, and quickly sped out of the driveway. Twenty nine minutes until she would see him.

The stretch of roads leading to the beach was too long. The smile couldn't be wiped off her face as the wind whipped her hair in different ways. She parked in her usual spot and grabbed her bag before exiting and locking her car. The beach, surprisingly, was fairly empty.

She still had five minutes before he would arrive. He was never later and never early, it was one of the many things she loved about him. She walked a little ways down the beach and spread out a blanket before plopping down on it. Three minutes. She stared at the waves as they crashed against the rocks on the side of the beach.

She felt the strong arms wrap around her shoulders and pull her up before she heard his voice. Instantly, she beamed and threw her arms around his neck. "I've missed you so much," he said as his arms wrapped securely around her waist.

"You have no idea how much I've missed you," she replied.

Keeping her arms around his neck, she pulled back to look in his face. The face she loved so much and had spent so much time missing. His black eyes met hers and he smiled his genuine smile, the one he only had when he was with her.

He couldn't take it anymore before he leaned down and kissed her. His kisses were breathtaking, especially when it had been such a long while since she felt his lips on hers.

"My sweet, Eunjung," he said, placing a hand gently on her cheek, "How I ever survive without you is unknown."

Nichkhun and Eunjung were in absolute love. They had been since she had moved to his town during her ninth grade year; Nichkhun was a year older. Unfortunately, Nichkhun went to a college across the country, too.

Every summer, he came home the same day and they met at the same time on the same beach. They sent letters and emails over the school year, but it just wasn't the same as the actual company.

Eunjung sat on the blanket she had laid out and pulled him down with her, "I feel like I missed you even more than usual," she said.

"Maybe you did," he replied, "I know I did." He put his hands behind his head and leaned back. Eunjung followed suit.

After a few moments silence, Eunjung rolled to her stomach and rested her upper body on Nichkhun's chest. "I'll be eighteen in a few weeks," she said, kissing his lips softly.

"I know," he replied.

"So," she responded.

"So, what?"

"Nevermind," she said, rolling back over.

Nichkhun smirked and sat up before leaning over her, his arms on either side of her. "You'll be legal. I know exactly what it means. It means we can do whatever we want. It means someday, any day, you could marry me."

Eunjung smiled, "I knew there was a reason I love you so much."

"Well there better be at least one reason!" he joked. Bending his elbows, he lowered his face to hers before kissing her once again.

"Excited for college?"

"Of course I am. It's the first time since ever where I'll get to see you whenever I feel like it."

Eunjung had, of course, applied to the college Nichkhun attended and had been accepted. They were looking forward to the time when they could have a normal relationship, where they could go on dates every Saturday and could play in the snow together. They had made the long distance relationship work, but they were both always looking forward to the time where they could be together face to face anytime they wanted.

"Let's get in the water," he said, stripping off his shirt. Eunjung stripped off her shorts and shirt and ran towards the water, Nichkhun following close behind.

Before she was knee deep, she shrieked, "It's freezing!" before scampering out quickly.

"It can't be that cold," Nichkhun said, testing the water himself. "It's not that bad."

"Yes it is," she said from water's edge.

Nichkhun ran to her and threw her over his shoulder. "Please don't," she said calmly. He smirked even bigger. "Nichkhun," she said sternly, "If you throw me in the water, I will--."

"You will what?" he asked, grinning and moving her in front of his body, still holding her above the water.

"I won't kiss you for the rest of the summer."

"I doubt that."

"You want to test me?"

"Sure," he said before dropping his arm and letting her legs and torso splash into the water. She screamed loudly before jumping on him, wrapping her legs around his torso and her arms around his neck, trying to free herself of the ice cold water. Nichkhun laughed hysterically and carried her back to their blanket on the beach.

Eunjung wrapped a towel around her and pulled her knees to her chest, scowling. "You won't stay mad at me," Nichkhun said, grinning.

"I will so."

"Keep telling yourself that," he said quietly, leaning towards her. She turned her head the opposite direction to avoid his knee-weakening eye contact. He placed a hand on her neck and kissed down her jaw line before whispering in her ear, "Still mad?"

Eunjung nodded and turned to look at him. She ruffled his sandy brown hair, "How could I possibly stay mad at you?" she said.

"You can't," he responded, smiling brightly before giving her a light kiss. "I love you," he said, lying on his back in the bright sun.

"I love you, too," she said, situating herself in the crook of his shoulder. "As much as I like summer, I can't wait for it to be over, already."

"Why is that?"

"Because I finally get to be with you anytime; we can go to football games together, go out to dinner, play in the snow, everything we've never been able to do. We can actually have a New Years Kiss."

Nichkhun smiled and kissed her forehead and smiled, "Well enjoy the sweet summertime now, winter's not so friendly in Canada."

"With you," she said, "Summer is sweet, winter is sweet, anytime is sweet."