I love you

So close yet so far

There is this restaurant that bomi visits almost everyday.

The restaurant is located besides the river, and it's on her way back home from school.

Her parents own a pharmacy not far away from their house, but they come home late, so bomi have to find herself something to eat for dinner outside everyday, she doesn't complain and are already getting used to it.

The restaurant isn't big, but it sells all kinds of korean dishes. If someone ask what exactly are there on the menu? Bomi wouldn't be able to answer, cause she orders the same thing everyday, her favorite-budae jjigae.

She don't recall being so addicted to budae jjigae before, back when her family was still in Suwon.

Bomi still remembers it was three years ago when her family first moved to Goyang, they arrived at around dinner time and she was hungry, but her parents told her to walk around and find a restaurant herself because they have to go discuss some important things with the agency.

She was kind of mad at her parents by that time, leaving their only daughter straving and wondering on the streets by her own, she was only 15 then.

She quickly found a restaurant not far away from her new house and stepped straight in, asked the waiter to give her whatever is good, and fast, because her blood sugar was really getting low by that time.

It was about 3 minutes later when someone place a pot of budae jjigae in front of her, she started eating like the world is going to collapse at any time, she spent only 10 minutes on the whole pot.

The taste of the soup was amazing, she was about to thank whoever made such a good choice for her, but couldn't recognize who was the waiter because she felt kind of dizzy when she came in. Instead, she grabbed a napkin and took out her pen, wrote something on and left it on the table before leaving the restaurant, hoping the person that ordered for her will see her thank you note when cleaing up the table.

"I'm new here and thank you for recommending budae jjigae for me, it was really delicious!"  --Bbom :)

After that day, bomi starts to visit the restaurant everynight after school, cause she just couldn't forget about budae jjigae. She sometimes wonders if the restaurant has put some secret magic in it, or else why she just craves for more and doesn't gets tired of it? And constantly for three years?

Bomi has also gets into the habit of writing on the napkin everytime she's done with eating, the initial purpose of saying thank you to the waiter was gone, but instead she sees this as a way of replacing her daily diary. She writes about everything, the weather, her school life, how she's feeling...

She doesn't write too much, just one or sometimes two sentences, and always leaves her signature "Bbom" on the bottom, leaving a smiling face beside it.

But she never takes them home, she'll leave it on the table like her first time, thinking that whoever sees it might make a laugh out of it, then throw it away, as she planned.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyungsoo works in the restaurant that bomi visits everyday.

His parents opened the restaurant when he was still an infant, he used to play in the restaurant while his parents were busy cooking and satisfying the customors. He started helping out at the age of 15, when his father suddenly died of cancer. He decided not to go on to senior high, and dedicated himself all to the restaurant, to the place that represent the love of both his parents.

He still remembers three years ago when he just started working not long ago, a girl about his age, with long and curly hair came in one night, looking frustrated. Her eyes were not focused on the menu nor him when he stood beside her, trying to take an order. She then told him to get her whatever was good and fast, he thought for a while but made his mind quickly that budae jjigae will be the best choice.

He was really surprised when she finished the whole pot that was meant for two in 10 minutes, he hasn't seen a girl eat that fast, and that much before ever in his life. He wanted to ask the girl whether the soup it's good or not but she left instantly, leaving a note on the napkin.

He smiled when he saw her smiling face drawing, and then he kept the napkin in his pocket.

After that day he sees her everynight, telling by her uniform he guesses she might goes to the senior high nearby. It was not until a month later when he finally realized she has been ordering budae jjigae everyday, he was curious at first but soon get used to it, he automatically starts to prepare the soup whenever he sees her walk into the restaurant.

He then gets into the habit of taking her written napkin everytime she came, he'll put it in his pocket first, and keeps it in a well preserved box when he gets home.

He doesn't know why he is doing this, but he just wants to keep everything from her, and so far those are the only things he can have.

He can be very stubborn about this collecting thing. One time he wasn't in the store when bomi came, afterwards he asked about whether the girl had left a napkin on the table and was informed that the napkin had been thrown away already. He went to the garbage and spent a total of one hour on the napkin, he wasn't tired or angry at all when he finally saw her signature, instead he smiled with happiness, and hold very tight to the napkin like it was something worth a million.

He thinks he has fallen completely for this girl over the past three years, they never talked, but kyungsoo knows a lot about her with the help of those napkins. He knows she learned Taekwondo before, and was currently in the cheerleading team; she is the mood maker among her friends, and she doesn't care to laugh out loud in front of the boys; she loves dogs but her parents won't let her have one, and her best friend named Eunji back in Suwon had just told her that she moved to Busan.

He also secretly observes her every move when she's in the restaurant, it might sound weird but kyungsoo just couldn't take his eyes off her, she has this goddess look of both beautifulness and cuteness, and her smile after finishing the budae jiggae looking satisfied, can blow away all the bad moods that occurred during the day.

He doesn't thinks it's necessary to talk to her, or even asks her out, as long as she comes here everyday, he already feels like he is having a date with her...at least that was what he thought before that day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That day seems like another normal day to kyungsoo, until she came in, with a boy.

She ordered two pots of budae jiggae, and he could hear her telling the boy, "This is my favorite! I'll definitely miss it."

By then he didn't know what she means by "will miss it", he just looked envy at the two lovey-dovey, telling by how she looks at him and how they interact with each other, they must be a couple.

He went over to clean up the table and sees she had finished all her soup, but the boy still had some left over. A man who doesn't finish everything in his own bowl is not a good man, what a waste! Kyungsoo thought madly to himself.

Then he saw the napkin on the table, he was quite surprised that she didn't stop writing even when her boyfriend was there.

My last day here, going to college in Seoul and moving there with my boyfriend...I hope they have tasty budae jiggae in Seoul too, gonna miss you all!  --Bbom

He rushed out the door, didn't care if she was holding on to her boyfriend, and shouted. "Bbom, wait!"

Bomi was surprised to hear someone from the restaurant called her Bbom, this name was actually what she used to call herself and be called when she was still in Suwon, even her boyfriend calls her bomi now.

She turned around, and saw the boy who she sometimes sees in the restaurant, but never had a conversation with.

He was holding a napkin tightly in his hand, and she thought she might knows why he just called her nickname.

Her boyfriend said he'll wait for her in the car and left, leaving a confused bomi behind, face to face with kyungsoo. 

"I know you don't know me and this might sounds weird but you...I just want to tell you that...you can always come back here, if someone is mean to you or if you just feel like crying..."

Bomi wasn't quite sure what he meant, but the way he looked at her with his big eyes, it made her feel safe.

"I'll be right here, and waits for you...no matter how long it takes."

Her heart rate increased all of a sudden, and she thought someone might actually hear her drum like heart beat.

If only he had said this earlier, maybe just a few month earlier when her boyfriend hasn't confessed to her yet...maybe things will be different, but now, she just can't.

"Thank you." was all she can say, she smiled at him before heading to her boyfriend.

And for the first time in three years, Kyungsoo finally realized how bad he wants her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four years later she graduated from college, and decided to come back to Goyang, to the place where her parents are, and most important of all, where he is.

"I'll be right here, and waits for you...no matter how long it takes."

She kept thinking about what he said that day for the past few years, there was time when someone was mean to her and she felt like crying, but she didn't come back. She wasn't sure about her feelings, what she wants if she really came, and if he really is waiting here for her.

She walks into the restaurant, hoping the first thing that comes into sight will be him, smiling at her.

He is no where to be seen, but something else caught her eyes. She can barely stand straight, cause she couldn't believe what she is now seeing.

Those napkins, those childish napkins that she had been writing on when she visited this place before, were nicely collage into a big poster as a decoration on the wall, streching from end to end.

But something is different, as bomi looks more closely, someone wrote a sentence on every napkins below hers.

The weather is really nice today, anyone want to go camping with me?  --Bbom

Me me me!! Pick me please!!  --Do

I messed up my math test today, so sad...(T_T)  --Bbom

That's ok, who need math anyway? You're still the best!  --Do

That stupid boy in class 5 called me Tomboy today, you're just envy of me because I beat you in soccer haha!!  --Bbom

How dare he calls you that? You will always be my number one, you're the prettiest!  --Do

Bomi can not read anymore, her eyes are already filled with tears.

All those days, all those years, that boy from the restaurant, had been collecting her "diares", had been secretly admiring her and supporting her through words that he didn't get the chance to show her.

Those words that he say to her in front of the restaurant, it must really came from his heart.

She finds herself a seat and sits down, order the food she miss most, her favorite- budae jiggae.

"Ajjuma, excuse me but do you know there is a boy that used to work here about four years ago? Where did he go?" 

"Used to? Ah guess you mean Mr.Do, he got married a year before, and move to Seoul with his wife."

"Married? He's...married?"

"Yes, with a pretty girl."

Bomi suddenly feels like throwing up, but what is she expecting anyway?

Did she thinks that this boy, who she doesn't even know his name, and the most conversation she said to him was" thankyou", will still be single and opens his arms infront of the store and wait for her to come back someday? Even if he did said so, he'll be really stupid to be waiting for a girl that didn't seems to have interest in him, not to say who had a boyfriend by her side back then...It's good to know he's a normal guy after all.

How can she even think of coming to him in the first place? She is the one being stupid here.

She finished her soup, takes out her pen, and writes on the napkin, for the last time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bomi then takes a walk along the river, letting the wind hit hard on her face.

The river looks the same as four years ago, but back then she was a naive, innocent and happy girl, now she feels more mature, and too much things had happened, she rarely smiles now.

There is a loud bang coming from the store, the sound catch her interest, she turns and sees a man coming out of the store, closing the door roughly behind, and rushes to her direction. She can tell he's running in a very fast speed, cause seconds later he is right there in front of her, still out of breath.

It is him, the boy that worked in the restaurant, the boy that told her she can come back at anytime, the boy that said he'll be here waiting for her, and the boy she can't stop thinking for years.

He looks a bit different from what she remembered, maybe it's because the hair style, or maybe it's just because she hasn't seen him for years.

Tears run down her cheeks, she didn't know until now how badly she wants to see him, he feels like a friend, a family, and most of all, he makes her feels like home.

Kyungsoo gets nervous and don't know what to do when he sees her tears.

She looks different too, without the uniform and with the little make up she has on now, it makes her a woman rather than a girl.

"I went to the market, came back to the restaurant and saw this." He is holding tight to the napkin bomi just wrote on. "I asked the ajumma and she told me a girl just left a while ago, so I came out and saw you here...I...did I do something wrong...?"

Bomi shooks her head, she tries to wipe out the tears but failed, is like she has the faulcet but couldn't shut it off.

"I...I thought you went to seoul...she told me you were married, and you move to seoul with your wife...a pretty one..."

"Married? Seoul? Ah..Do Seung Soo!"Kyungsoo finally understands what really happened, he smiles while taking a step closer to bomi.

"She was talking about my brother, he used to work here too. After my dad died, my mom changed the restaurant into his name, and now he gave it to me and move to Seoul for good."

They are really closed now, so he can see her face clearly, and he isn't surprised at all to see that she had such a smooth skin, one that he has always wanted to touch.

"Your brother? You have a brother?" She stops crying and looks right into his eyes, like a puppy you will really want to hug when you see it.

"Yes, my brother. And you still don't know too much about me, right? Like my name for example."

"Oh yes your name...I'm sorry..."

"Please don't be, I've never introduced myself to you after all. I'm Do Kyung Soo."

"Do kyung soo...But you don't know my name either right?"

"Well actually I do, half of it. I know you call yourselves Bbom, real name is bomi. Correct? I just don't know your last name."

"Yes is bomi, Yoon Bo Mi. How do you know that?"

"Yoon Bomi...I like it. That day when you were about to leave, remember I called you? And I accidently heard him, your boyfriend said, bomi-ah I'll wait for you in the car, that's how I figured." Kyungsoo feels awkard saying the word boyfriend in front of her. Is he here too? Maybe waiting in the car like the last time?

Yes...How can she forget about that day? The reason she's here, is all because of that day.

"Boyfriend...we broke up already, a year after I move to Seoul. He...He cheated on me with his classmate since we are in different major..."

"Ahh is that so...I'm sorry I've mentioned." He is definitely not sorry at all, this news has just make his day.

"That's ok, is not like I am still depressed or what." A silence falls between them before Kyungsoo speaks up again.

"So...do you have a boyfriend now?" he asked carefully, making sure this is the right question to ask.

"No, I haven't seen nor date anyone since that break up...just didn't meet the right guy. And you?"

He can not resist it anymore, he puts his hand on her cheeks, wipes out the remaining tears stains for her, then lowers his head so that their eyes are in the same level.

"I, Do kyungsoo, once told a girl that I'll be waiting for her, right here. And for the past four years, all I can think of is her, how she looks so happy when she's eating budae jjigae, how her laugh is so nature that can easily affects the people around her, how pretty she is when she put all her hair in one side and shows the line of her neck..."

He paused for a moment, admiring how cute she is when her face turns red.

"And today, she finally came, and I just know by now that her full name is Yoon Bomi...Miss, can you tell me what I should do? Because she is standing in front of me right now, so close that my lips can touch hers at any moment, and I really really would like to kiss her..."

Bomi swallowed nervously when Kyungsoo gets a bit closer.

"Will she kick me if I kiss her cause I know she plays soccer really well? Or maybe hit me cause I once saw she carried a baseball bat into the restaurant, she must had been in the team right?"

"I'll hit you if you keep teasing on me like this." She pouts her lips, pretends to be mad.

Kyungsoo knows that this is her another way of saying yes to him, and although he had no girlfriend before, he isn't stupid to miss this hint she gives.

He leans over and plants his lips on hers, slowly and gently.

Their love has just started, and both of them know, it will never end.

 

The napkin in kyungsoo's hand fall to the ground, and two lines of words can be seen clearly.

Do...I'm back, and I miss you.  --Bbom

Welcome home Bbom...and I love you.  --Do :)

 

 

-The End-