Final

[TaeKook/VKook] The Offer Still Stands

Taehyung watches Hoseok stare out the window wordlessly in anger when he informs him of the disaster that has taken place a few minutes ago. He is certain that his fiancé is wondering that this event will be all up in the news tomorrow.

 

The auburn haired man with the surprisingly calm features continues to eye his fiancé stare out of the tall French windows of the room to their front yard. There Hoseok can see two police cars near the fountain, their blue and red lights spiraling, sending out lights in all different directions. The sun is setting, and the orange mellow of the great source of light envelops each and every tree and space in the vast compounds of the Jung estate. But the other doesn’t bother about the scenery because he has never learnt to appreciate it from the start. He just stares at the two police cars in the middle of the whole serene scene sticking out like a sore thumb.

 

Taehyung stays silent, aware that his fiancé and soon to be husband could lash out any moment. He just stands there, waiting, pondering of what Hoseok would do now that everything was over.

 

“And where were you that time?” Hoseok grunts out, finally resting his hands on the marvelously crafted mahogany table which only spelled ‘expensive’. His voice is strict, angry. Taehyung knows he should not answer back impolitely but he does so.

“I was in my room the entire time. You ordered for me to not come out of the room until it was over,” he replies but there’s hatred and anger in his voice, showing the clear evidence that the two men in the study have no regard for each other whatsoever.

“Why is it that I find that hard to believe?” Hoseok asks, clicking his tongue which in turn in testing Taehyung’s patience. The younger rolls his eyes disrespectfully even though the other is clearly older and more powerful.

“I did not go against your wishes, Hoseok,” Taehyung asserts, his eyes darting daggers at his fiancé beside the table. He clenches his fist in anger but softens as soon as he feels the small piece of folded paper in his hand crumpling due to the pressure. “Now it’s up to you to trust me or not.”

Hoseok scoffs. “Trust?” he turns away from the man before him, tilting his head in disrespect. Hoseok his lips and controls his anger down. “We both know that’s not what we have.”

Taehyung smirks but there’s no feeling in the facial feature. Trust is the last thing that he has with this man, with this stranger whom his family has betrothed him since childhood. “Get out,” the man beside the table demands. And Taehyung happily leaves.

 

TWO DAYS AGO:

Taehyung walks down the wide empty staircases of his fiancé’s house. It’s been almost a year now that he has moved into the Jung estate but he has never had that feeling to call it home.

“Get used to it,” his father advised strictly. “You’ll be living there for the rest of your life.”

 

Taehyung rolls his eyes at the sudden memory of the traitor’s voice. He knows he’s not exaggerating by labeling his parents as traitors because they were exactly that. Traitors who forced their son into marriage with a monster for the sake of status.

He takes a deep breath and tries to drown the voices in his head. This is what happens when you’re born into a family of riches.

 

“There’s a letter for you, Mister Taehyung,” the maid on the end of the stairs says and presents to the auburn head an envelope on a silver platter. Literally.

How strange, Taehyung thinks. Why would anyone be sending him a letter in the Jung estate? Shouldn’t all letters and mail be directed to the head of the house, Jung Hoseok? Nevertheless, the male takes it and thanks the maid, something which the maid was not accustomed to. She walks away and leaves Taehyung to walk into the dining hall for his breakfast.

 

Taehyung stares wordlessly at the strange white envelope. He flips it over and sees a single sentence on the back. It reads:

“Kim Taehyung

“Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder”

The texture of the envelope is not smooth like normal envelopes. It has a rough feel to it which is not necessary unpleasant to the touch. But that’s not what has caught Taehyung’s interest. It’s the familiarity of the paper. Somehow, he has seen the exact type of paper before.

Carefully pulling apart the flap of the envelope so as to not spoil it, Taehyung pulls out the single white piece of hard parchment card and flips it to read it. Taehyung gasps ever so slightly and takes a closer look at the card. Instantly, he recognizes the symbol on it. Two stylishly written J’s imprinted together, where the shade of one is lighter than the other, hooked at the tails.

It’s obvious what it signifies. It’s the symbol of the infamous thief – Jeon Jungkook.

 

~*~*~

Jeon Jungkook was a name that even toddlers memorized even before they could say ‘mama’. The mentioned name belonged to a notorious thief who had come into being six years ago. Initially, he was considered as a menace to the government, a petty thief who targeted the rich for obvious reasons. But after six years of not being caught even by the international police or the secret service or any other organization of the world, his name itself turned into a word of fame.

Being a professional at what he did, Jeon Jungkook had a set of rules before carrying out a heist. His signature, so to speak. Exactly two days before he carried out the robbery, a white envelope would be received by his victims containing the exact same thing that Taehyung had received. The single card with the imprinted J’s. The same font, the same size, the same design every time. After receiving it, the victims were given exactly two days time to safe guard the most valued thing in the house, be it jewels, gold, documents, anything which they considered the most valuable.

And exactly after two days, the thief would come and steal it as if the whole point of safeguarding it were just a game, a mere puzzle he had to play to get to the prize. Jeon Jungkook had always gotten away with the crimes that he had committed. And being so famous internationally, one would think that he has been caught several times. But that wasn’t the case. In reality, not even the members of the world security council were even sure of what he looked like. Not a single person in the entire world which consisted of a staggering seven billion people, even knew what his face remotely looked like.

Not a single soul. Well, except one.

 

 

~*~*~

“What’s the most valued possession in the house?” the detectives ask Hoseok who stands in the study, looking annoyed yet proud that an infamous thief chose his house to rob. Taehyung stands beside his fiancé and listens to him speak to the detectives about how everything in the house was worth millions.

“But I suppose the most valuable would be the blue diamond in the antique room,” Hoseok says and they stand up to make their way to the antique room where Hoseok keeps all of his prized possessions and valuables. “Are you coming, dear?” Hoseok asks Taehyung who remains behind and waits for the men to walk out of the room. The detectives look at the couple lovingly, mentally cooing at how the two men cared for each other but Taehyung knew that Hoseok was just doing it for show.

“You go ahead,” Taehyung says. “I’ll catch up.”

As the men leave, Taehyung recalls the letter and the envelope that he received earlier that morning. It’s in the hands of the detectives now. They’re doing everything they can to find out the true identity of Jeon Jungkook even if that means tearing apart the whole letter searching for even the smallest bit of DNA. But Taehyung has this inkling that Jeon Jungkook isn’t that stupid to leave anything on the envelope except the details of the victim.

Did Hoseok even realize it? Taehyung thinks and smiles nostalgically. That the letter was not addressed to him?

 

 

ONE DAY AGO:

“What’s the point of wasting all this money for security?” Taehyung hisses out as Hoseok sets multiple passwords for entry to the antique room. “You know he’s going to win one way or the other.”

Hoseok simply replies back with not much emotion. “Supportive of him, aren’t we?” he asks and then faces Taehyung. “Oh wait. That’s expected since you were one of his s,” he continues. Taehyung rolls his eyes and interrupts. “Jealous much?”

Hoseok scoffs and goes back to his work, choosing not to answer his fiancé. This leaves Taehyung to walk out of the room silently so that he could go back to his memories. His memories of how he came to know the one and only Jeon Jungkook.

 

 

 

FLASHBACK: SIX YEARS AGO:

Taehyung walked out of the stuffy social gathering to the deserted balcony. The people inside were talking, laughing, making merry; doing all of the things that Taehyung despised. And they were doing it for the sake of a necklace.

The party was thrown in honor of the lord of the house managing to get the famed ruby necklace which had been known to be stolen so many times that it had literally travelled across the world. The necklace itself was over fifty years old and it had been passed down the family for generations until it got stolen by some thieves in the late 1940’s.  And thus, recovering the family heirloom after years and years, the members of the house thought it fit to hold a party in the return of the necklace to the rightful owner.

A party for a stupid necklace, the auburn head fumed and mumbled all throughout the time till he reached the railings of the adorned balcony. They’re holding stupid parties for stupid necklaces when there are thousands of children suffering right next door. He was so infuriated that he didn’t notice the raven haired man standing right in the corner, right behind the door that led to the deemed place.

 

 

“Hello,” the man wished, startling Taehyung. Clutching his chest because of the sudden fright, he let out a deep breath of relief to find the man behind him. “You surprised me,” Taehyung laughed. The man bravely joined Taehyung on the railing and apologized. “There’s no harm done,” Taehyung assured and then asked what he was doing out there, all alone, when the party was in full swing.

“I didn’t actually come for the party,” The man beside him confesses and Taehyung gives him a quizzical look. “Alright,” he laughs in good humor and inquires why he was there then.

“I actually came here to get something that I’ve been wanting for a long time now,” the man replies earning an “oh” from Taehyung. The two men continue to talk and soon it turns to noticeable flirting through subtle words and actions.

 

 

 

“And that is why I’m here at this party. To represent my family,” Taehyung concludes his story of why he’s there at the party although he didn’t want to go in the first place. “Sounds like you’re pushed around the entire time,” the raven haired man with the almond shaped eyes comments, leaning in a little closer than he should. But Taehyung doesn’t mind. If at all, he welcomes it.

“Hmm,” Taehyung nods and leans in a little closer, the emotions of attraction in the air obvious now. From that length, he can smell the heavenly scent of the man right before him and he takes in every bit of it. “Either that,” Taehyung says, his voice slowly dying down in excitement of their closing gaps, “Or they ignore me.”

The man, whose nose is right in front of Taehyung’s now, replies with a smile. “I don’t think I can ignore you even if I tried.”

Taehyung chuckled a little, his senses drowning in the man’s scent and his heart’s thumping. “Smooth talker, are we?” he comments but never gets a reply because their lips are already touching. And what was expected to be a short, strangers’ kiss turns out a little longer and steamier.

 

Taehyung pulls back slowly and re-opens his eyes. He’s never felt anything like the spark he just felt before. And judging from the way the stranger also has widened eyes and a dumb smile, Taehyung knows that the he felt it too.

 

 

The pair would’ve swooped in for another kiss if not for the man’s phone beeping. He looks really regretful as he switches his phone off and frowns. “I’m sorry,” he says and Taehyung looks equally sad. “You have to go,” Taehyung says, knowing that the man would only reply with a nod. He doesn’t like the fact that the man whom he had just kissed and felt fireworks with is leaving.

 

“Wait,” Taehyung says as the man is walking away to the door, back into the party. Only then does he realize that they haven’t even introduced themselves. “I’m Kim Taehyung,” he says, desperately, wishing that he would at least get the stranger’s name to calm his aching heart.

The man gives a genuine smile and he bites his lower lip shyly, revealing the small two rabbit teeth hidden beneath his lips. Taehyung thinks immediately that he looks adorable and handsome at the same time. He stares deep into Taehyung’s eyes even though they’re already a few feet away into each other, the distance widening by the very same man as he walks backwards slowly.

“I’m Jeon Jungkook.”

 

The lights of the whole mansion go out and the panic of the people encloses the compound. Taehyung doesn’t panic though and takes out his cell phone from his pocket to make shine some light on the situation. But in a matter of three minutes, the lights come back again. But all traces of the strange man, Jeon Jungkook is gone.

Then a shriek is heard coming from the colossal living room where the ball room of the house was adjacent to. Taehyung walks back in to see what the commotion is about when he overhears the people before he could reach the place where the scream originated.

“The ruby necklace has been stolen!”

 

 

 

FIVE HOURS AGO:

The policemen and detectives are debating if the professional thief is going to show at all. But they continue to wait as Hoseok watches each and every live feed of the security camera that he has placed on every corner of the house. It’s not his job to do so but he does it anyway to ensure that no one will get to his precious diamond.

Taehyung sighs at the inevitable fact that the thief would get the diamond, if that was what he was going for in the first place.

“What are you sighing for?” Hoseok asks, his face not lifting from the screens. “Do you not think I’ll catch him?” Taehyung knows he won’t. But he doesn’t say it out loud.

“This is pointless,” he says and finally walks towards the door. “I’m going back to my room. Tell me when this nonsense is over.” Hoseok steals on small glance at his fiancé’s retreating back but remains unaffected. He only speaks when Taehyung is about to go out the door. “Stay there till it’s over. I wouldn’t want my fiancé rendezvousing with a criminal in my own house, now will I?” he says, the dark tune in his voice ringing prominently.

 

 

Taehyung goes back to his side of the mansion, which covers the entire south wing. From his side, he can’t hear the ruckus caused by the policemen. He can’t hear the noise of the people, panicking, excited about the infamous con artist. And he prefers it that way.

 

 

TWO HOURS AGO:

Even though Taehyung had an incredibly large house with everything in it, he felt bored after being under house arrest for two hours. So he soothed himself to sleep until he awoke around an hour later to see a very strange sight right before him.

Taehyung rubbed his eyes to assure that he wasn’t dreaming. He even slapped himself to be sure but the scene right in front of him was realer than heck.

“I’m real, Taehyung,” Jungkook speaks and assures all of Taehyung’s uncertainty. He has some sort of smug and proud look on his face but then again, he always had that look.

These three words send a jolt through Taehyung’s body but he manages to force himself from pulling the man before him into a hug or even a kiss. They hadn’t seen each other for a longtime now. Too long.

“How’ve you been?” Jungkook asks and pops the lollipop he had been playing with in his hand into his mouth. Taehyung forces down the urge to roll his eyes, a habit that he had grown accustomed of recently, and glares at pale skinned man right before him, standing so coolly beside the bed.

“Why are you here?” he hisses out, trying his level best to keep the tone of his voice that way. Jungkook pulls out the lollipop from his mouth and Taehyung notices that it’s cherry flavor. Jungkook still likes cherry flavor.

“We haven’t met in a long time,” he answers and looks at Taehyung who is seriously forcing down his desperate emotions because of missing the male in the room with him. Jungkook pops the lollipop back into his mouth and this time, he bites down on it, the sounds of the crunch making Taehyung wince a bit. “And whose fault is that?” Taehyung spits out again, not really thinking of his speech.

The raven haired male who looked too cool to be true walks up to the bed and climbs atop of it. Taehyung feels the bed dipping around him due to the shift in the weight but he’s too focused on Jungkook’s eyes to care.

“I wasn’t the one who walked away, Taehyung,” Jungkook whispers, his face leaning in dangerously close to the elder’s. Taehyung’s breath hitches in excitement and alarm because of the proximity of their faces, their bodies. He can feel the younger’s breath on him, smelling so sweetly of cherry. They’re so close that Taehyung can see the longing in the criminal’s eyes, the lust, the passion, the love.

“You can’t blame me for walking away, Jungkook,” Taehyung says, fighting down his feelings to give into his desire. But the poison in his voice is all gone.

 Jungkook’s face warps from the cocky and y look to a more subtle and somber feature, even though he has a small smile curved into his perfectly sculpted lips. “I don’t,” he says and leans in for a kiss which blows both their minds away. It feels like their very first kiss, only better and more passionate with a mix of desperation.

 

The kiss turns even more heated and Taehyung can’t help but moan into it. And on hearing the lustful moan, Jungkook deepens the kiss, nibbles onto his lower lip and on it even more. Taehyung thinks he’s going to die from the pleasure and it doesn’t help that the intruder is caressing his cheeks softly with his firm but careful hands. Taehyung’s own hands automatically roam onto Jungkook’s hair, ruffling it into a mess as the kiss continues. And they would’ve continued but reality decides to strike him because Taehyung suddenly remembers that what he and Jungkook were doing was silly.

 

He retracts back suddenly, leaving Jungkook startled and confused. “We can’t,” Taehyung says, his eyes starting to glisten with tears. He moves back, away from Jungkook and clutches onto his hands tightly causing his to feel the cold hardness of the platinum band on his ring finger. Hoseok’s engagement ring.

“I’m engaged,” Taehyung states and blinks away the tears that were threatening to fall. He doesn’t face Jungkook after he says this but he knows that the younger is staring at him, his eyes focused only on him. “But you don’t love him like you love me,” the man replies back a little too confidently. But he’s right. And Taehyung knows it.

“No, I don’t,” Taehyung admits.

Jungkook pulls back and gets off the bed. Arranging his recently tousled hair, he lets out a sigh. “But you’re staying,” he says, already aware of the answer that he dreaded. Taehyung can’t trust himself to speak in fear of saying something unintended so he only nods.

“Well then,” Jungkook says and puts his hands together near his lips and closes his eyes, as if he were praying. But Jungkook doesn’t pray. Taehyung knows that. God doesn’t help criminals after all.

“I guess I’ve failed this time round,” he says and turns to Taehyung with a pained smile. Taehyung purses his lips and doesn’t ask anything. He doesn’t ask what Jungkook is talking about but the thief answers it with his next sentence.

“I couldn’t manage to get the most valued possession,” Jungkook speaks and backs off slowly from the bed on which Taehyung was sitting. “The only time,” Taehyung adds and returns an equally painful smile. He is grateful to know that Jungkook considers him as the most prized and valuable possession, in fact, he is honored. Jungkook had been the only person who had ever considered him valuable. And Taehyung has this feeling that Jungkook would be the last.

Jungkook then lets out a sudden chuckle, all his previous emotions of pain and grief washed away from his face. Taehyung looks at the man and asks what he was laughing about. He isn’t at all startled by the sudden flicker of emotions in his face; he’s too accustomed to it.

 

Being a genius has its shortcomings, Taehyung thinks and recalls short picturesque scenes of Jungkook’s lunatic erratic emotions and actions.

 

“I guess I’ll have to settle for second best then,” he says and smiles even wider. Taehyung understands exactly what he’s talking about and frowns. “That’s not funny,” he says but he sees the joke in it. He just doesn’t express it.

 

Jungkook silences down and a quietness fills the colossal room. Both men in the room don’t speak during this time and only breathes carefully, taking in the air filled with each other’s aura, with each other’s scent. It’s precious. And the standing male darts his gaze on the carpeted floor, fumbling awkwardly with his hands like a nervous child. Taehyung just watches the action and allows his heart to break even more.

Then Jungkook decides to break the silence even though he’s always been a man of few words.

“You know,” he says, his eyes tearing away from the floor and fixes it on the auburn haired male whose interest perks up once again. Jungkook smiles sweetly before saying the next sentence. “The offer still stands.”

 

 

ONE AND A HALF YEAR AGO:

Taehyung awakes to the cold chill of the bed beside him and his heart sinks to see that it is empty. He is close to panicking but he hears an assuring voice coming from behind him, from the door.

“Good morning,” Jungkook says and walks up to Taehyung and snakes his hand onto Taehyung’s torso. Taehyung visibly relaxes as he sighs in relief. He’s happy that Jungkook’s still there beside him. But his smile disappears all too suddenly.

 

 

He doesn’t regret sneaking out of his security guard’s watchful eye the previous night. He doesn’t regret lying to his constricting parents and clingy sister about where he was going the previous night. And he most definitely doesn’t regret falling in love with a world class criminal. But he thinks he’s had enough of the pain.

He’s had enough of worrying about the man whose name is always on the news and is wanted by the whole world. He’s had enough of the heartbreak of waiting for a discreet anonymous message at any point of the time which tells him to meet Jungkook at a particular place and time. But the biggest thing he’s had enough of is waking up alone on the bed because Jungkook has to go away after their frivolous meeting.

“You’re still here. Why haven’t you left yet?” Taehyung whispers and Jungkook shifts his lover’s body to face him. The crook has a clear idea of what Taehyung might be feeling of his deeds but he doesn’t know if he can give them up yet.

 

“Taehyung,” Jungkook speaks and takes a deep breath. Taehyung has no indication of answering but he listens diligently.

 

 

“Run away with me.”

 

Taehyung heart skips several beats and his eyes widen in alarm. Yes, Jungkook has always indicated and hinted at how much he wants to be with him but he has never said it out. So yes, he was caught a little off guard.

But the excitement and small joy fade away as quickly as it came because Taehyung remembers what Jungkook is. A wanted felon.

 

Jungkook notices his lover’s face change instantly from sober to startle and then back to pain and grief. He’s said something wrong, hasn’t he?

Taehyung doesn’t bother hiding his tears and he just allows them to stream down his sharp cheekbones. “Jungkook,” he says softly, “I love you. I love you so much.” And Jungkook has figured that Taehyung is not going away with him. Taehyung has responsibilities. He has an estate to take care of. He has a name to keep up.

“But we should stop,” Taehyung continues. “I can’t see you anymore. You and I both know that you’re not giving up your thieving. And I can’t just get up and go. I’ve worked too hard for it and you for your name.” Jungkook listens to Taehyung quietly and accepts the rejection. He can’t go with him. He can’t run away with him. He won’t. He accepts it.

 

“But you love me,” Jungkook says, “So I’ll wait. I’ll wait for you to say yes and run away with me,” and he plants a kiss on Taehyung’s soft morning lips. Taehyung wants to tell him to stop. Don’t wait, he wants to say but doesn’t.

 

ONE HOUR AND THIRTY MINUTES AGO:

“The offer still stands,” Jungkook says expectantly, looking deep into Taehyung’s eyes. Once again, Taehyung’s heart does some weird clutching and somersaults and he’s tempted to say something he’s not supposed to. But over the months, he’s learnt to control his snappy mouth.

 

“Close it then,” he says slowly at first. “Close the offer,” he says a little more loudly, surprising Jungkook a little.

Taehyung watches the male walk up briskly to him and plant another harsh but loving kiss on his lips suddenly. He melts into the short kiss once again but his answer and decisions remained the same.

Jungkook smirked as he pulled away and looked into Taehyung’s brown chocolate orbs. “I won’t. You can’t make me,” he says. “The offer still stands. And it will continue standing till you agree or till the day we both leave the world, Kim Taehyung.”

“Its Jung Taehyung now,” Taehyung says, biting back the overflowing mixed emotions he got to hear himself say that. But Jungkook seems unfazed as he shakes his head. “You’ll always be Kim Taehyung to me,” he says, “And maybe one day, you’ll be Jeon Taehyung, who knows?”

 

 

With that Jungkook walks away again, not allowing Taehyung to say anything about the matter. And this time he manages to reach the door.

“Until then,” he says and turns back for one last time, his hands opening the door. He has a huge smile on his face but they both know that it’s fake. Jungkook has never been the type to take rejection well. “I bid you adieu,” he says and bows ever so slightly to the man on the bed and pulls close the door, walking away so casually as if he owned the whole mansion.

Taehyung turns slowly to the study table beside his bed and sees a small envelope on it. He doesn’t remember placing any envelope on it before sleeping so he figures that it’s Jungkook’s. He reaches for it and opens it, knowing full well what he would find.

And as expected, it’s a card. With Jeon Jungkook’s trademark signature on it. JJ.

 

 

PRESENT:

Taehyung closes the door behind him and lets Hoseok fume out his anger of having his precious diamond stolen. He is holding a paper in his hand tightly, the card which Jungkook has left behind for him -the card which contains his signature.

His mind then recalls the small piece of paper left behind by Jungkook in the case which once contained the blue diamond and he can’t help but chuckle. Because on the small piece of letter are the words written in cursive writing:

“Something is better than nothing”

 

 

 

 

FIVE YEARS LATER:

Taehyung walks around the alien grounds of Trevi, Rome. His successful meeting with an Italian businessman ended over an hour ago so he decided to take a stroll around the foreign lands and maybe visit the famous Trevi fountain, or as the locals call it, Fontana De Trevi, before heading back to his hotel and getting ready for the flight back home.

 

Home. He chuckles softly. It was strange how he called the Jung estate his home now even though he vowed never to do so.

By now, Hoseok and his relationship had escalated to husbands but the emotions were still the same. They still didn’t possess the ideal ‘lovers’ relationship and Taehyung knows they will never achieve it. But at least they were more respectful of each other now. And they weren’t constantly trying to kill each other with their words so that was a big bonus.

 

His footsteps come to a stop when he arrives at the destination. And looking at the great big fountain which was adorned with marvelous and breath taking sculptures, Taehyung isn’t disappointed he decided to take the next day’s flight back to Korea.

Taehyung doesn’t know much about historic art or sculptures or anything of the sort but he knows that the sight in front of him is more than amazing. But while the majestic marbled sculpture of the Greek Titan Oceanus in the middle with the horses completely take his breath away, he’s apologetic that he’s more interested in the reef of the fountain which sparkle in the light of the sun. It’s gleaming with coins from all around the world.

 

Legend has it that if you throw two coins into the fountain over your left shoulder with your right hand, you’ll find true love.

 

Taehyung chuckles lightly as he reads through the legend in his head. He has no intention of doing that even though he’s impressed by the legend. He has already found his one true love even though they’re not together.

 

Feeling a sudden surge of loneliness seep in with the thought of true love, Taehyung turns away from the fountain and decides to head back. But he doesn’t take one step further because a small boy, with the obvious features of a local, has tugged on the hems of his black coat. He turns and sees that the fair, chubby cheeked boy has on a white uniform which Taehyung recognizes as belonging to a school just outside the city. Maybe the boy was on a school trip.

Taehyung looks around and sees a group of kids with the same uniform under the watchful and careful eye of a woman and another man. His deduction was right. They were on a school field trip.

 

“Mi scusi, signore,” the boy says in a small voice and hands him a white envelope from his tiny hands, “ma questo è per te.”

Excuse me mister, but this is for you.

 

Taehyung reaches for the envelope even though he is confused and as he takes hold of it, he asks in a slightly accented Italian. “Che ha dato questo?”

Who gave this?

 

The boy doesn’t answer and runs away with an adorable smile, back into the crowd of moving students. Taehyung doesn’t follow the boy but he watches him run away. Strange.

He looks down at the envelope in his hand and flips it. But there’s nothing written on it which means that the person who sent it came into contact with the child to show who the receiver would be. His hand traces the texture of the envelope carefully. It definitely is familiar.

Could it be? He thinks. But it’s not possible.

He opens the flap of the envelope in anticipated curiosity and in slight fear. And he sees a card. It’s made of hard parchment paper.

Taehyung’s face curves into a smile although his heart sinks a little at the familiarity of the paper. He pulls out the small card and flips it over to see the two trademark J’s on the card. Jeon Jungkook.

How on earth? He thinks and looks around but sees no familiar face.

 

Then he notices that there’s still something else in the envelope.

 

Tipping the envelope over into his hand, he finds a small ornament, a silver ring on which a string of white paper was tied to, fallen onto his hand. Startled and utterly overwhelmed, he opens the paper and sees what’s written on it. And in cursive writing, the paper read:

“The Offer Still Stands”