Fake It, Until You Make It

Faking It!

           The bell for lunch rang and Youngjae was the only one in her class who wasn’t excited to go to the cafeteria. She placed her books and notebook into her bag before slowly standing up. The walk to the cafeteria was a long one and for the last week it seemed to be getting longer. When she finally reached the double doors leading to the cafeteria and excited voices, Youngjae couldn’t help but frown.

            What waited her on the other side of the doors meant nothing to her. She didn’t feel like being social, not with any of the people at the table she used to dream about sitting at. Sure, she had made some friends among the popular kids, but it meant nothing if she couldn’t be happy.

            ‘Here goes nothing…‘ Youngjae put her hands on the doors and got ready to push them open.

            “Youngjae?”

            Youngjae looked towards the deep voice in confusion. “Do I know you?”

            “No, but I know you,” The taller boy crossed his arms as he looked at Youngjae.

            Youngjae sighed. “Not surprising. Excuse me.”

            “I’m friends with Daehyun.”

            Youngjae paused and then stepped away from the doors. “I didn’t know you were friends with Daehyun. How come I don’t know you?”

            The boy glared, making him look dangerous. “Because you were ignoring her.”

            “I—“

            “I don’t want to hear excuses,” The boy shook his head. “I’m just worried about her, so I wanted to talk to you.”

            Youngjae her lips as she thought. “Fine, follow me.”

            “No, follow me.”

            There was no time for Youngjae to argue as the taller boy began to walk away. Youngjae scowled at his back, but followed him anyhow since this random boy might have been able to tell her how she could get her best friend back.

            It didn’t take long before they were entering an empty classroom. The boy with headphones around his neck pointed to a desk as he leaned against the teachers table.

            Not liking when people told her what to do, Youngjae chose to instead her hip to the side and glare at the unknown boy. “About Daehyun—“

            “Daehyun likes you.”

            Youngjae blinked a few times in shock. Soon enough she regained her composure. “Of course she does. She’s my girlfriend.”

            He rolled his eyes. “Your fake girlfriend. Now—“

            Youngjae scoffed. “Listen here, you know nothing about us and our relationship. How dare you call us fake! I don’t even know your name, how could you possibly know anything—“

            “My name is Yongguk and I sit next to Daehyun in History class,” the boy said calmly. “Your best friend and I have been friends for a while now and have gotten closer even since you started ignoring her for your popular friends.”

            “I…” Youngjae bit her lip as she thought. “Yongguk sounds familiar…”

           “It should,” he crossed his arms. “Daehyun has tried to introduce us to each other for over a month already. You just keep blowing us off.”

            “There was a reason!”

            “Right,” Yongguk rolled his eyes. “Zelo found out about your secret and you had to hang out with him.”

            “How…” Youngjae fell back against the desk behind her. “Daehyun really did tell you everything…”

            “Because she trusts me; because I’m there for her when no one else is, even when it hurts me,” Yongguk looked away.

            “I don’t understand…”

            Yongguk sighed before returning his gaze back to Youngjae. “I’m in love with your best friend, but she’s in love with you. I’m fine with just being her friend, but I can’t stand idly by while the one person she depended on the most treats her like .”

            “I do not! And if you really know everything then you’d know that we aren’t lesbians,” Youngjae glared.

            Yongguk looked down at her, unamused. “Then obviously I know her better than you do. Talking to you is just a waste of time.  I just wanted to say that you should make a decision about whether or not to date Zelo already so that Daehyun isn’t left in limbo for much longer.”

            “Wait!” The classroom door was slammed shut in her face before she could get in another word.

            Youngjae muffled her scream of frustration. Slowly, she fell to the ground, not sure what to do anymore. Tears threatened to fall and she felt all alone in this school of over three thousand people.

            She was stuck between dating Zelo and keeping up her charade with Daehyun. She wanted to date Zelo, but at the same time there was a part of her that was starting to doubt she still liked him. Keeping up the charade seemed to be the best option, but then Zelo would tell the school about them and then it wouldn’t work; they would end up as outcasts again. They would be bullied every day, probably more harshly too since they pretended to be lesbians.

            ‘Then obviously I know her better than you do.’

            Is Daehyun really in love with me?” Youngjae said quietly out loud. Her mind played back many of the times they had hung out together and especially the times in the beginning of their fake relationship. “Wasn’t it all just for show?”

            Her heart pounded in her chest as she thought about the way Daehyun looked at her. ‘I’ve never seen her look that way at anyone else… even if she was faking it… but even if she does like me like that… I don’t like her that way… I don’t think.’

            Youngjae held her head and closed her eyes. All her thoughts telling her what she should do were starting to give her a headache.

            “Think Youngjae, think. Start at the top and think about what is important,” Her eyes immediately shot open. “Daehyun.”

            She sniffled as she stood up. “How could I be so stupid?”

            She weakly smiled to herself as she fixed her clothes before walking out the door. ‘Daehyun is my best friend and I wouldn’t trade her for the world. She may like me more than I like her, but I won’t let that stop us from being friends. I can’t believe how foolish I’ve been recently… I need to go apologize.’

            Once again, she was outside the cafeteria doors, but this time there was no hesitation to walk in. She walked with confidence, heading towards the table she had been worried about earlier. She could sit there, but she didn’t want to if she wasn’t happy. That meant that she needed to fix things between her and Daehyun because only then would she be happy.

            “Daehyun,” Youngjae looked at her friend from across the table.

            Immediately after she spoke, everyone at the table quieted down. Everyone had noticed that for the last week the couple hadn’t sat together or talked. Rumors had floated around, but nothing was close to the truth. Their stares and whispers meant nothing to Youngjae who waited for Daehyun to look at her.

            Slowly, Daehyun looked at Youngjae. It was evident how much it pained her to do so, and it made Youngjae feel even worse about herself. “What do you want?”

            “Daehyun,” Youngjae looked at her sadly. “I’m sorry. I’ve treated you like , haven’t I?”

            Daehyun’s eyes widened. “Youngjae…”

            Youngjae shook her head. “I let things get to my head… but won’t you come talk with me; let me apologize to you properly?”

            Daehyun smiled and started to stand.

            “Youngjae!”

           Immediately, both of their smiles fell. Youngjae watched as Zelo crossed the room, heading straight for her.

            ‘Crap, I had only thought about how I want Daehyun by my side.’ Youngjae looked at Daehyun, not knowing what to do still. Daehyun was sitting back down, looking like she was about to cry.

            “Youngjae, I’m tired of waiting,” Zelo said once he reached her. “I want to know your answer.”

            ‘Either way I answer him, our secret will be out. If I say yes then only I’m saved—wait I’m not even thinking about my feelings…’ Youngjae looked Zelo over. In the end of her analysis she crinkled her nose at him. ‘How could I ever like someone as horrible as him? Really making me feel terrible and always on edge, even making me choose between him and my best friend?’

            “Zelo, I don’t like you. You can’t bully me into being your girlfriend.” Youngjae said firmly.

            “What?” Zelo was shocked as well as everyone at the table.

            Youngjae walked around the table until she was beside Daehyun. “No matter what happens, Daehyun will always mean more to me than you will. I won’t leave her to face troubles alone.”

            “I think there has been a huge misunderstanding.” Doojoon, the star soccer player, said as he stood up. “Youngjae is a lesbian, how can she date you?”

            Zelo laughed. “That’s because she isn’t a lesbian. They are fooling you all!”

            “This is it, huh?” Daehyun sighed as she stood up.

            Youngjae squeezed her hand. “I’m sorry, but I promise never to leave you like that again.”

            “I don’t know…” Doojoon scratched his head. “They seem pretty convincing.”

            “Have you seen them kiss?” Zelo asked, smugly.

            “Yes,” Ga-In said. “and let me tell you, that wasn’t a fake kiss. Any girl would know when another is faking.

            Zelo’s smile faltered as all the girls at the table agreed and started giggling. Even Youngjae began to think back to one of the parties where she and Daehyun had actually made out with each other. Her emotions from that time came back now, making her seriously think.

            “But, she confessed her feelings to me before.”

            “That was then and this is now,” Doojoon said.

            “That doesn’t make sense… she liked a guy, but is with a girl now?” Kevin looked at Youngjae confused.

            “Exactly!” Zelo smirked again.

            “I’m lesbian,” Daehyun said honestly. “Youngjae… Youngjae…” Daeyhun hesitated.

            “So she’s biual?” Another person asked.

            Youngjae tightened her grip on Daehyun’s hand has the word rang through the air. “Yes.”

            As the table defended Youngjae and Daehyun against Zelo, who was glaring at them angrily, Daehyun stared at Youngjae. Youngjae had her eyes wide open as she thought about what she just said. The more she thought about it, the more it seemed to be the truth.

            “Youngjae…”

            “Thank you, everyone,” Youngjae smiled at the table. After Daehyun’s voice brought her out of her thoughts. “I’m sorry to do this, but I have to talk to Daehyun, privately.

            “We’ll see you girls later.”

            “Don’t be shy!”

            “Youngjae! I need to copy you notes later!”

            They waved as they walked away, a few boys even whistled at their victorious walk away.

            As soon as they were outside the cafeteria, Daehyun took the lead and pulled Youngjae into the closest bathroom and locked the door.

            “We haven’t done this in a while,” Youngjae mumbled.

            “Youngjae,” Youngjae faced Daehyun, who was looking at her confused. “I can’t believe you turned Zelo down.”

            “You didn’t want me to?” Youngjae asked, confused.

            “No, that’s not it at all,” Daehyun said quickly. “but this was your chance to be with the boy you liked and out of this weird relationship.”

            Youngjae shrugged. “I came to my senses and realized he was being a jerk. Even good looks can save a horrible personality.”

            Daehyun nodded.

            “We have a lot to talk about,” Youngjae sighed. “So much so that we don’t have time for it all before lunch time ends.”

            Daehyun sighed. “So, we are going to talk later?”

            “Yes, but!” Youngjae hurried to say when she saw Daehyun looking betrayed again. “This time I mean it. I can’t—no, I won’t lose you again Daehyun. This week without you was the worst week of my life. I’d rather be bullied the rest of my high school career than be apart from you. I think I proved that out there.”

            “True…” Daehyun smiled. “I missed you, Youngjae.”

            “I missed you too.”

            Daehyun crossed the distance between them and hugged Youngjae tightly. “Please don’t leave me again.”

            Youngjae relaxed in Daehyun’s arms and hugged her back. “Never.”

            The bell rang and the girls pulled apart, unwillingly, knowing they had to go to class.

            “Shall I walk you to class now?” Daehyun asked as she unlocked the door.

            “No.”

            “Wh—“

            Youngjae hooked their arms together. “This time, I’m walking you to class.”

            Daehyun bent her head forward so that her short hair would hide her blushing face, but Youngjae still saw it. She smiled to herself as they walked down the hallway.

            Youngjae wasn’t sure if she was starting to like Daehyun the way the other girl deserved, but she was determined to try to figure out all her complicated emotions. She owed it to Daehyun, who liked her, to Yongguk, who liked Daehyun so much that he was willing to get Youngjae and Daehyun back together, and most importantly, to herself.

            The future wasn’t clear, and it wasn’t to anyone, but Youngjae knew one thing. When she kissed Daehyun on the lips outside the girl’s classroom, it wasn’t because she was trying to keep up appearances.

            “J—Jaejae…” Daehyun put her hand to her lips. “What…”

            “We have a lot to talk about after school, Daehyun,” Youngjae, looked down to hide her own blush. “I’ll see you later.”

            “Yeah… later.”

            Youngjae smiled while she walked away. Today was shaping up to be one of the best of her life, even if it had started off badly. There was no guarantee about what would happen later, but Youngjae was sure that even if Daehyun and she didn’t end up as a real couple, they would be best friends for the rest of their lives.


 

a/n: And the end~! i know some people were hoping for a more concrete answer :\ but the requestor said I could leave it open, which I honestly preferred with how I was writing it. I don't think Youngjae would be able to change her feelings so quickly and even in the long run, there is no guarantee that they would end up with one another. What I thought was most important was that they might try dating but either way they would still remain the best of friends.

Of course, in my mind, eventually they get together and then stay together forever >///< daejae feels man. 

 

Anyhooo I hope you liked this little story. 

I'll see you around~ and I hope you will be able to enjoy some of my other stories too ^_^