Cherish

An August to Cherryish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

to avoid confusion: the 'he' in this chapter can refer to more than one person...please be noted.

 

 

No matter what, do not perish, No matter what, always cherish.

 

A week had passed.

It's strange that just a week ago, I was at the rock bottom - being out of job, having to pretend that I actually have one and stooped as low as to lie to my mother pretending that everything's alright, close to being humiliated for the nth time a by a lady I barely even know.

And a week after, just a week after, I'm dating somebody I barely know thoroughly, with the prospect of marriage. Something that would surprise mother and make her so happy. Heck even I was surprised at first. No,  I still am surprised. And soon, I would be able to see mother's reaction, when he come over in a few hours to break the news to her and ask for her blessing, though I doubt that is even needed since she'd definitely have no objections.

My life has taken its turn unexpectedly. He was right, when he said that I would meet the one. Once I'm married my life will no longer be as ty as before. Everything will be great. And even better, I'm getting married to someone girls in the office would describe as 'good catch', instead of some old guys fitting to be called Dad, that mother had been trying to matchmake me with. He's right. It wasn't a lie. But...why don't I feel the way i expect to feel? Why do I feel nervous? Why do I feel...hesitant? Why am I not as excited as I should be? Or do we just lose excitement at such big events of our lives as we grow older? Is that a reason people don't want to get married late?

 


"And here I thought someone is determined not to come here again."


I almost jumped at the sudden unconventional way of greeting that should've sounded more normal for me, considering the person who delivered it, yet still surprised me, perhaps due to the time gap since the last time I saw him. Yes, some things never change though, despite my crazy life changes. For one, the river still become the place I go to, when I feel uncomfortable to face the world, although I do have another reason to come. and two, he's still here, even though it's been awhile since I last came, and even though today, I came at the time the Sun still shining brightly, instead of the usual night time, yet, he's here. Maybe he's really the guardian of this river.

But afterall, I have to thank him. For today, the day I'd never imagine to ever come in my life, the day i would introduce my husband-to-be, to mother, it unbelievably has come, all thanks to him.

"And what's with that look, ahjumma? You look like you're just being prescribed with death sentence."

That bad?

"Then that only means you resemble death sentence."

"Sounds like a compliment. Do you like me that much?"

"No, I don't."

And I can't. I won't. I don't. Of course not.

"Then...why else would you be here, ahjumma?"

Even without looking directly, I could see he already stood next to me at a fair distance that could fit at least two people, facing the river. I guess he's finally learning to respect a little thing called personal space. That's good.

"Oh...that, I'm just...why are you here, though? Don't you have anything to do to be here all the time?"

"In case you forgot, you're here before I come, ahjumma. Guess who spend more time here?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter