Chapter 5

My Girl from the Star

“Daebak!” Seo Yeon exclaimed, “So, let me get this straight.  You flattened Ji Yong and his thugs, saved Jae Kyung and you’ve got a dinner date tonight?  How lucky can you get?”

Min Ji let out a half laugh, “I wouldn’t call it lucky, Seo Yeon.”  She toyed with her lunch.  “I mean, I used my powers.  He’ll have questions and I can’t avoid them forever.”

“True enough,” Seo Yeon rested her chin on her hand in contemplation, “but it could be worse.”

“How do you figure?” Min Ji raised an eyebrow.

“Well, I mean he’s been exposed to what you are capable of.  If and when the time comes, he’ll probably be less reluctant to believe what you are.  Think about it.  He saw what you could do last night and he still asked you out.”

“I know, Min Ji said softly, “but I don’t understand his motive.”

“I’m pretty sure that his motive is that you intrigue him and,” she gasped sarcastically, “maybe he even likes you!”

Min Ji smirked.  “What a novel idea.”

“Well, when you get home, I’ll need a full report.  You must text me!”

“Yes ma’am!” Min Ji saluted then her face became contemplative.

“Won for your thoughts?”  Seo Yeon cocked her head.

Min Ji readjusted on the bench, “I’m just thinking about everything.  I turn 18 in a couple of days, I’m applying to a few different universities already, my one-sided love is becoming less one-sided, and my father is home…I really feel overwhelmed.”

“Take one thing at a time, Min Ji,” Seo Yeon put a reassuring hand on her friend’s shoulder, “starting with tonight’s date!”

Min Ji grinned, “You’re so excited that one would think you’re going on the date.”

“I know,” Seo Yeon clasped her hands together and looked at the sky dreamily, “Now if only Min Ho oppa would notice me.”

“Anything is possible, Seo Yeon.  Anything.”

The last half of the day dragged on.  Min Ji found herself fidgeting and glancing at the clock often.  Jae Kyung turned around in his seat and winked at her.  She lowered her head to hide her crimson cheeks.  Finally the bell rang and she began to gather her books.

“You ready?”  Jae Kyung approached her and offered to carry her book bag.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.”  Min Ji tried her hardest to keep her tone flat.  She still wanted to keep some distance between her and Jae Kyung.  “Carrying my book bag isn’t necessary.”

Jae Kyung felt a bit rejected, but continued on, “I know a great place a few blocks from school.  Small and quiet.”

“I like small and quiet.”  Min Ji approved.

The walk to the restaurant was short and neither of them said much along the way.  The two sat at a table in a remote corner and browsed the menu.  “Have you figured out what you want to eat?” Jae Kyung inquired.

“More or less.” Min Ji replied.

Jae Kyung called the ajumma behind the counter over they both placed their order.

“So…” he started.

“So…” she replied.

“I told you I’m really bad at conversations.” Jae Kyung said apologetically.

Min Ji took a sip of water, “That makes two of us.”

“I guess I could start with the typical ice breakers,” he smiled, “so what do your parents do?”

Min Ji almost spit out her water..  Everyone in the school knew her mother was Cheon Song Yi.  Or so she thought.  Either Jae Kyung was dense or he really didn’t socialize much.

“Um, well, my mother is an actress.” She said after taking a napkin to .

“Do I know her?”

“I’m not sure,” she replied.  Oh I don’t know, she’s just the top actress in the country. “My mom is Cheon Song Yi.”

Jae Kyung’s eyes widened at this revelation.  “Really?”

“Really.  Do you want an autograph?”  She said automatically.  Most people wanted her mother’s autograph after finding out who she was.

Jae Kyung peered at her suspiciously, “Is that a trick question?  It seems as if I say yes or no, you’ll be offended.”

Min Ji shrugged.  “It wasn’t intended that way.”

The ajumma brought over their order and they both started eating.

Jae Kyung carried on, “Do you have any siblings?”

“It’s just me.  What about you?”

“I have a younger sister.  She’s 12.”  He toyed with his rice before asking another question.  “So do you meet celebrities often?”

Min Ji shook her head. “Not really.  My mother tries to keep me separate from that world so that I can lead as normal of a life as possible.”

They ate in silence for a while.  Jae Kyung stared at this enigmatic girl across from him.  Min Ji kept her head down avoiding any eye contact that would betray her emotions.

Jae Kyung put his chopsticks down.  “Min Ji, you’re really hard to read.”

Good, that’s kind of the idea since last night.  “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry.  I just want to know what you’re thinking.”  He said with sincere curiousity

Min Ji bit her lip before acknowledging the pink elephant in the room, “Honestly, I’m waiting for you to ask me the question you’re dying to ask but too afraid to say.”

Jae Kyung sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.  “I didn’t want to upset you.”

She looked him in the eyes, “I’ll be straight forward.  I’m not ready to tell you.  It’s something I try to hide.  I need to know I can trust you before I tell you.”

“I’m not sure I get what you’re saying, but I understand the trust thing completely.”

“Oh?”  She asked quizzically.

“Well, I kind of have trust issues, too.” Jae Kyung put his head down.

“Why?”

He gave an uncomfortable laugh, “To be truthful, I’m not ready to share this with you yet either.”

Both of them smiled.  A few moments later they finished eating.  “I had a really great time.” Min Ji said.

“Going home so soon?”  Jae Kyung said with no small amount of disappointment in his voice.

“Is our date not over?  Sorry, I don’t really know how this stuff works.”  Min Ji looked positively naïve.

He dared to ask, “Have you never dated anyone before?”

“No.”  Min Ji lowered her head again at her admission.

“So I’m your first….”

“My first what?”  She peered up at him.

“Your first boyfriend?”

Did he just call himself my boyfriend?  Min Ji looked up at him startled.  Her heart beat accelerated and she felt butterflies in her stomach.

“Is that okay with you?  Will you be my girlfriend?”  He had a pleading look on his face.

Her heart went from beating fast to soaring, but she tried to maintain her composure.  “This is really sudden, Jae Kyung.”

“I know.  It’s even startling to me, but I really want to start something with you.”

Min Ji folded her hands behind her back before shyly asking, “Do you want to come over to my house?  We could study.”

“I’d like that very much.”  He smiled.  His smile was enough to bring her heart from soaring to melting.

The two of them began walking towards Min Ji’s house.  Oh my God.  He’s coming over to my house.  Oh crap, my dad will be home.  Why did I invite him?  Stupid, stupid…  Min Ji’s thoughts were interrupted by fingers intertwining hers.  She looked down and Jae Kyung was holding her hand.  Her heart practically leapt into .  Jae Kyung smiled at her.  She smiled back.  She decided to take the long way home just to spend a few extra moments alone with him.  I hope appa like’s him.  I home omma like’s him.  I think I like him too much.  Jae Kyung gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

“Can I ask you one more question?”

“Mmm.” She nodded.

He paused for a moment and it was obvious he was gathering courage. “Could you call me oppa?”

Again she blushed.  “Sure…oppa.”

Jae Kyung stared straight ahead with a smile beaming from ear to ear.