Stay Away

Sixth Sense

August, 2002

 

 

I winced in pain as my head hurt once again. I hadn’t got enough sleep because of school and taking care between myself and Hyosung. Mom and Dad had gone to Japan for a wedding ceremony and they would go to China later for business. They pushed the responsibility to take care of Hyosung just like that.

It didn’t really affect my daily activities although my friends would laugh at me whenever they saw me with Hyosung. “Like a young father,” they told me once.

I sighed as the pain was still there and the noise around me was getting louder. I stood in front of the school gate, waiting for my girlfriend to come out. Song JiEun had been together with me for a year now. She was a great accompany and a perfect match for me.

She could calm me down when I got mad. She would patiently wait for me when I had to get back late, and many more as she was really calm and patient with me. She had been the biggest crush in my life. Sometimes, I wondered if I dated her because I got attracted to her because of my ability or just because I liked her.  

Yes, JiEun had the same ability with me and Hyosung. People with the same ability with us could attract each other very easily. However, JiEun didn’t know that she owned this ability. I had tried to dig some information about it but JiEun always got no idea of what I was talking about.

“Yongguk!” JiEun’s happy voice startles me.

She looked beautiful as always, I silently noted that. JiEun hugged me as soon she was near me.

“How are you?” She asked as her hands were still around my neck.

“I’m doing fine, I hope. What about you?” I lowered my head and our forehead now sticking together.

“I wasn’t very fine until I saw you.” She shyly said.

I laughed to her answer and pulled out from her hug. I reached for her hand. Small electricity went from her hand to mine which made me to pull my hand in response. JiEun looked at me confusedly as I tried to wash away the shock. JiEun had never put her power against me, whether she realized that she owned the power or not.

“Are you okay?” JiEun eyed me worriedly.

“I’m fine. Let’s get Hyosung. She probably has waited for me.” I said, smiling.

JiEun nodded.

“I miss Hyosung. It’s been a while.” She mumbled.

As we walked to Hyosung’s kindergarten, I tried to understand why suddenly JiEun’s power got into the surface. I almost believed in her that she had no power inside her but now, I doubted what she has said to me. I wonder if she lied to me.

Hyosung’s kindergarten was getting closer when JiEun suddenly stopped on her track and looked at me. She was upset.

“Yongguk-ah,” Okay, now she was very upset. “You don’t pay attention on me. What’s going on?”

“Oh? Nothing. I always pay attention, why you suddenly say something like this?”

“Because you say things that not related with my words.” She said.

JiEun puffed her cheeks and looked away. I slapped myself inside. It was my fault to think too much about the electricity when she was very innocent in the case.

“I’m sorry.” I said as I pulled her into my embrace.

“Don’t do that again,” She mumbled as she hid her face on my chest.

We stayed like that for five minutes or so. I could sense that JiEun was still upset and I silently wished Hyosung could make it up for me. With the realization of Hyosung’s useful appearance, I quickly reminded JiEun that Hyosung was still waiting for us.

JiEun didn’t seem as sad as before but I could sense from her wavering aura that she was indeed still upset with me.

***

Hyosung’s power was really big that day. Maybe because she had enough rest, unlike me. I could see her power covering her kindergarten building. I was sure the power was hers because every inch of the power screamed her name. I had never got hurt by her power but it was not the same case with her. My power could easily hurt her although I only touched her lightly.

I assumed it happened because of the difference of our powers. She had ‘soft’ one while I absolutely had a more dangerous and darker power. JiEun, who stood behind me, pulled my hand before we went inside.

“Isn’t this place scary?” She asked worriedly to me.

I frowned. The place was just fine for me or my parents or anyone else. The kindergarten was very crowded—we assumed that crowded place was safe— and that was why my parents chose to put Hyosung here. About the ghosts, we believed that no place was clean from ghosts. Everywhere was the same and we had never thought about the ghosts matter. We as Hyosung’s guardians believed that we should make Hyosung as humane as possible.

“It is okay, JiEun. It’s just a normal building.” I tried to assure her.

The kindergarten only had tolerance time until five and I was lucky enough to get here thirty minutes before they closed or they would give me penalty. I didn’t have enough money with me which would make me a little bit poor if I have to pay for the penalty fee.

As soon as we stepped into the front room, Hyosung welcomed us. Her skin was paler than usual although she looked at me with her innocent look. She looked like she had caught a cold which was weird because it was not even cold. We were in the middle of summer and she suddenly got a cold?

“Hey,” I greeted her softly.

She moved her eyes from me to JiEun who had moved to stand beside me.

“Hello, Hyosung.” JiEun greeted her.

Hyosung frowned upon JiEun and pulled me to her side. It was not a strong pull considering Hyosung was just seven-year-old and I was nine years older than her. The behavior she showed me was something I was familiar with.

“Who are you?” Hyosung’s voice was stern and coated with hatred.

JiEun looked at me, asking for help. She was clearly taken back with Hyosung’s reaction—which I could understand because I felt the same.

“Hyosung-ah, this is JiEun, my girlfriend. She wants to accompany us today. Don’t you like it?” I had lowered myself to Hyosung’s level.

Hyosung’s frown got worse with what I told her. She looked back between me and JiEun and it was clear that she disliked JiEun.

“Okay,” She finally said.

JiEun hummed in pleasure and smiled widely to Hyosung. However, it seemed like what Hyosung said was the opposite of her act. She hid behind me, holding my hand tightly. I had to say that I got tricked for thinking that it was just usual habit of a child.

Hyosung didn’t want to let go of my right hand. When JiEun walked on my right, Hyosung quickly changed her position and reached for my left hand. It happened a few times and JiEun had to give up on her try. Hyosung walked in peace as soon as JiEun gave up on her.

I chuckled. Hyosung had her own class.

***

It seemed like Hyosung really disliked JiEun.

 As soon as we arrived at home, Hyosung ran away. I had to tell JiEun that Hyosung was just being weird today. Jieun didn’t buy it for sure.

But Hyosung’s ignorance on JiEun was getting wilder by every minute.

First, she ignored JiEun whenever she stands around her.

Second, she glared on JiEun when JiEun tried to chat with her.

I lost my count as Hyosung made it very clear that she disliked JiEun. I had to pull JiEun away from Hyosung to kept the peace around the house. The energy I felt earlier suddenly felt stronger than before. I knew that it came from JiEun since I had known how Hyosung’s energy was. The anger in JiEun had slowly come out and not only had her energy showed up, her expression had changed into a bitter one for a moment now.

“JiEun-ah, why don’t you go home? I’m sure I can take care of Hyosung here.” I told JiEun when we were in the kitchen to take some snacks as what my little sister requested.

“Are you sure she’s fine? She looks like she’s having a tantrum or something.” JiEun replied, she supported herself by gripping on the dining chair.

She looked at me with her puppy eyes and I could not bear to smile. Approaching her, I looked at her intensely. Her long hair that swayed casually, her brown hazel eyes that stared into me, her thin lips that begged me to kiss them, she was perfect. I could not thank God more to let me to have her. Although this was probably not going to be forever, I understood that what happened now and what I had now would mean something for me in the future.

Casually, I put my hand on hers. I even kept looking at her eyes, scared if I tore my eyes away from hers, the next second I turned to her, she had gone from me.

“I’m sorry it has been unpleasant.” I mumbled.

JiEun smiled as she shook her head continuously. “No, it’s really fun to help you taking care of Hyosung.”

“I promise we will have a good vacation later, okay?”

My lips were only a few centimeters away from hers. From this distance, I could feel her hot breath and I even notice of the small details on her face. Her nose brushed against mine. The next second, our lips became one. The warmth of her lips transferred energies to me. Her unsteady breath hit me, giving me a comfort.

I could not help it. Upon our kiss, I smiled.

***

“That was super rude, Hyosung.”

It had been an hour since JiEun went home. It had also been an hour since Hyosung refused to talk to me. I had tried to make her looking at me but what I got right now was only her scream that got louder by each second.

“GET OUT, YONGGUK!”

Okay, there she went again.

“Why? I don’t want to!”

“YONGGUK IS FRIEND WITH A WITCH!”

I had to admit that my control over my emotion was gone at the moment she finished her words. I knew that I would regret what I would do after her shout but then I just lost my temper and it happened just like that.

“DON’T YOU DARE INSULTING JIEUN!”

Hyosung went silent after that. However, it was obvious that she cried. Her sobbing sound got louder by each second. My guilt killed me slowly as I saw that she had her pillow wet by now.

“Hyosung, look. I’m sorry.” I tried to approach her however, she quickly avoided me.

Her bedroom was quite small so that no matter how hard she tried to avoid me, I knew that I would get her at the end. I rubbed my temple, knowing that today would be another long day.

***

It took Hyosung another two hours to sleep and I could not avoid the mess she did within the two hours. I heaved a deep sigh as I took some books and dolls that had been Hyosung’s victim when she ranted on me.

I still had no idea why Hyosung was so rude toward JiEun although I had my own theory on that. No matter how strong my theory was, I still needed Hyosung to confirm that. Knowing of how sensitive Hyosung was, I bet something in JiEun had triggered Hyosung’s sensitive character.

I glanced on the clock and sighed again. It was already 9 p.m. I hadn’t slept yet nor did I finish my supper. Not even once in my lifetime I got the thought of how tiring to take care of a little girl.

Just as I was about to take another magazine, a black figure flashed by my side. I groaned. As if today was not enough, someone actually tried to get into my barricade. However, the upset feeling changed into worried when the black figure actually headed out to Hyosung’s room. This was not going to be good.

I closed my eyes and let the remaining power to embrace me. The energy felt warm as slowly I became able to see my guardians. Half of them looked at me; waiting for my order meanwhile the rest set their eyes on the black figure.

My most trustable guardian did not need a confirmation as he quickly went to the black figure. He took out his sword and in a second, the black figure had been bleeding. The guardian man growled as the black figure still tried to stand up. My guardian needed no more words as he aimed for the head. As the black figure started to fade – along with his blood—my guardians also started vanishing into transparent form.

Although it felt hard because there was no more energy left in me, I forced myself to reach the couch and lie there. I just could not understand why all of those people chose today to ruin my mood. Sighing in ignorance, I let myself to sink into the darkness.