Shooting Stars

Shooting Stars

The school was filled with noise as the school bell rang throughout the building, hundreds of primary school kids running out of their classrooms, eager to meet their parents and tell them about their day. A certain tanned boy  was trudging out the doors, head down and hands in his pockets as he struggled to carry the weight of his oversized bag. He looked around for a bright red car, hoping that his dad would be early for once. Nope, no one he saw with a signature gold jacket leaning against a blood red sports car , smile as bright as his jacket and chewing on a piece of strawberry gum. The little boy plopped down on the with a soft sigh. Why couldn't his parents be normal people who actually cared enough about their kids to remember to fetch them from school? Now he would have to be alone for almost an hour and watch from the school steps as mothers ran to greet their kids.

A sharp tap on his shoulder made him jump.  "Oops, sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. " He turned around just as that person was sitting down next to him. He was not much smaller than himself, pale and slim with long features. His brown hair was swept over his chocolate eyes, and he was basically just skin and bone. 

The new comer giggled, covering his mouth with a small hand.  "You know I see you waiting here everyday all by yourself and you look so lonely. Why don't you talk to anyone? Even in school you're all alone." The two boys stared at each other in silence.  "I'm Oh Sehun by the way." The tanned boy blinked before he realised he was supposed to introduce himself. "Um,Kim Jongin." He said quietly. 

"Well Jongin, would you like me to wait with you?" "I'd like that very much." Jongin said shyly and for the first time since the first day of school Jongin had a genuine smile on his face.  It wasn't long before he got kinda annoyed at Sehun though. He just never stopped talking. Jongin never liked interacting with people, and the moment he'd accepted Sehun's offer to wait with him for his dad Jongin knew he'd regret it. "I have a younger brother who's turning five this year. His name is Jaehyun and he's an annoying little brat." Just like you, Jongin thought to himself but said nothing.  "How about you? Do you have any siblings?" Jongin really didn't want to answer and just in time too, because just then his dad drove up.

The tinted window rolled down and a dark man leaned to look outside, dark shades pushed up to the top of his head.  "Hey Buddy. Sorry to keep you waiting, I kinda forgot about you. But never mind, I'll make it up to you with some ice cream ok?" Jongin sighed inwardly but bolted towards the car, scrambling onto the front seat. His dad didn't seem to notice Sehun, but just as they were going to drive off Jongin turned back to look at him. Strange, he wasn't there. 

 

It wasn't the last Jongin saw of Oh Sehun. Ever since that day, Sehun seemed to appear everywhere. Before, Jongin had never even heard of him, but now he was popping up all over the place, in  math, English,he suddenly started sitting next to him during lunch where, unsurprisingly , Jongin sat alone. And man, that boy sure could talk. Where did such a small boy have so many words? Jongin would never have thought Sehun was eight years old. What Jongin would never have thought. Though, was that such a normal looking boy was suffering from a very serious disease. 

It was Thursday, math test day, and Sehun never missed a math test. But it seemed that day Sehun just disappeared. During lunch, Jongin found himself sitting alone again, and he never thought he'd miss Sehun's voice.

For a whole week, Sehun didn't appear until the next math test day. He came back to school acting like everything was normal, until lunch when he came running up to Jongin, face flushed a deep red and panting hard, bent over with his handset  on his knees. "What's wrong?" Jongin had to admit he was kinda concerned about his only friend. 

 

"I'm so sorry I left you alone, it's just that I was really sick and I had to go to the hospital-"

"Wait you were in hospital? How come?" Even at eight Jongin knew hospitals were serious business.

Sehun sat down. "Well you see, when I went home last Thursday, I suddenly felt really dizzy and I couldn't breathe. My mum said I also looked really pale, like paler than I already am, so she rushed me to hospital. By then I was so dizzy I fainted, but when I woke up I heard a doctor talking to my mum."

"What did he say?"

"He said, "ma'am , I have some bad news. Your son has a rare heart disease that makes his heart slow down and after some time it will altogether just stop. It is uncureable, that means he will have to die very early, I would say at 18-20 year sold if he is lucky. There is a medicine that will give him more time, but we have to run some tests first." After that , i didn't hear anymore because I fell asleep again." 

Jongin's eyes were wide, which was a reaction that was rare on him, so he really was in deep shock. "You're dying?"

"Yep." He said it so naturally it was as if he was answering a normal question like did you do your homework. Jongin felt weird once he processed this and Sehun must have felt it because he said, " I don't want you treating me like a sick kid ok? It's gonna be a pretty long time before I die so I'm trying to enjoy life while I can with my one friend."

It wasn't until later at home that Jongin realised he was the only friend Sehun had.

 

 

 

A warm wind swept through their hair as the two boys laughed excitedly. The place was totally abandoned, save for the few birds and stray cats here and there, and an old run down hut that seemed to be empty. 

 "Ma, can we go out there for while?" Twelve year old Sehun asked, a hand already on Jongins wrist, ready to run off already. He glanced longingly at the small beachshore, surrounded by tall trees. 

"Honey, you know that you might have another attack and there isn't a hospital nearby." Mrs Oh answered, not really bothering to look uo from her book. 

Jongin and his family had decided to bring Sehun along on a road trip and have some fresh air, and naturally Mrs Oh had decided to tag along.  They were now at a beach in the middle of nowhere really, and while Jongins parents, older sisters and their families were lounging around outside at a lone picnic table, Jongin had decided to stay with his friend inside the van, since he wasnt allowed to go out and use up too much energy.

But Jongin could see that Sehun was pretty desperate tobget out and do something." Please Mrs Oh, We wont be doing anything tiring. We'll be lying down on the grass under the shade." 

Mrs Oh seemed to consider this before sighin. "Well, I guess you can. But the moment you feel the slightest bit of breathlessness, you better come back here, understand?" Sehun nods impatiently, eager to get out.

The boys run out of the van, filling their lungs with fresh unpolluted air. They continue down the grassy field until they come to end where the beach is. Just before the shore, a huge oak tree towers over the rest, catching the young friends' attention. 

They lean against the rough bark of the tree, taking in the scene that slopes down below them. Turquoise waters roll over snow white sand, and further down the stretch the housr stands on top of the short hill, overlooking the ocean. Jongin leans his head on Sehun's shoulder.  

They sat like that for a long time, chatting about random things for hours, occasionally going back tovthe others for food. Soon it was evening, and the sun was setting over the orange sky, the moon gradually appearing. 

Sehun was already falling asleep against Jongin's slim body, but a flash of light suddenly made him jolt awake. "Look Jongin!" Sehun exclaimed, shaking his arm. Jongin looked up from the book he was reading. "What is it?"

Another flash lit up the now dark indigo sky. "It's...it's..."

Jongin looked curiously at his friend. 

" It's a shooting star."

Not just a shooting star, but many. Soon stars kept falling from the sky and raining down onto the earth, lighting up their eyes. "Quick quick, make a wish."

I wish... that Sehun would be all better and we'd all be happy.

I wish... that I will be friends with Jongin forever. 

I wish... upon a shooting star.

 

 

 Sehun fidgeted in his chair as he frequently glanced at the clock,  willing it to go faster. "Cmon cmon cmon..." he muttered under his breath. He counted down the seconds, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 ,2, 1 and the bell went off.

He jumped up from his chair, making it fall over but he didnt care. He needed to get out,  he needed to see Jongin. The class ran out, a flurry of papers and bags and books being thrown all over the place. 

Sehun elbowed his way through the after school crowd, repeating excuse me as he struggled to get through. Finally he could he see the doors. He was getting abit breathless with all the squeezing, so he tried to take out his puffer, but resulted in him dropping his books and files on the floor.

Huffing in annoyance, Sehun tried to bend down to retrieve his stuff, almost getting trampled on. Suddenly another hand grabbed the book he was going for. He looked up and grinned; despite the situation they were in now. The familiar tanned boy smiled back at him and helped him up, grabbing the rest of the files. 

"Hi Sehun," he grinned his dorky grin , pushing his bangs away from his face. They made their way down the slightly emptier hallway, catching up on each other's day.

"I can't wait for later," Sehun finally admitted after a period of silence as they walked down the street. Jongin's steps faltered abit but Sehun saw it . "Jongin?"

"Um, about the bubble tea treat... I can't go with you today." Sehun's face dropped.

"It's that girl Misung again, isn't it? Jongin, you've been cancelling all the outings we've planned just to go with her. I know you have a crush on her, but can't you just tell her no for once?"

"I'm sorry Sehun, we'll do it next time." Jongin patted the younger's  and started down the road.

"You always say next time!" Sehun shouted but didn't get a reply. He sighed and walked home by himself, something he had been doing the past few days. It was abit chilly since it was fall, and Sehun wrapped his blazer tightly around himself. ' If Jongin were here he would lend me his extra jacket, but of course Kim Misung must be wearing it now,' he thought to himself bitterly.

Sehun turned the corner and came to the small bubble tea cafe near his house where he and Jongin were supposed to go. Might as well go now since he won't be expected home anytime soon. He ordered a chocolate flavored one, smiling at the familiar cashier before moving off to the side to wait for his drink. He looked around the cafe impatiently. Suddenly he did a double take at the person in the corner, sitting uncomfortably close to a petite brunette girl. 

Glaring at the pair, he grabbed his tea and stalked up to them. Giving a sharp tap on the boy's shoulder, he said with fake cheeriness. "Jongin!" 

The said boy turned around, abit shocked. "S-sehun I can explain-" 

"There is no need to explain anything Jongin. I just wanted to say hi." Sehun smiled and waved cutely at Misung, Jongin's huge crush from Maths class. She smiled back graciously. Kim Misung was a nice girl, pretty and cute and kind, of course Jongin would like her, and Sehun couldn't bring himself to hate her for making his best friend neglect him. 

He walked out the shop, sipping his bubble tea sadly. The slightly run down old red brick building came into view, and Sehun made his up the few steps to the lifts. A tall man in a black leather jacket and equally black hair that fell over his eyes was already standing there, gazing intensely at Sehun as they entered the lift. He never stopped staring , and finally Sehun worked up the courage to stare back. The man must not have been stared back at before, because he had a look of surprise on his face before he looked away, ears slightly red. 

It was pretty awkward after that, but luckily tha man got off one floor before Sehun's , not before giving him one last glance. Stepping out of the lift one floor later, Sehun thought to himself, 'That was really weird.'

His apartment was quiet, as always. "Mom?"

A middle-aged woman of with unruly dark hair stepped out of the kitchen , wiping her hands on her pants. "Hey sweetie, help yourself to some snacks. Dinner will be done soon." Mrs Oh kissed her son and disappeared again. 

Sehun flopped onto the couch and switched on the television. He realised there wasn't really much to do without Jongin with him. He sighed again and pouted. He didn't feel like doing his homework. Since he was 17 and probably gonna die in a few years, he might as well live his life as he wanted while he could. But clearly his one best friend didnt see it the same, choosing to spend quality time with the girl he was possibly going to spend his life with instead of his dying best friend who didn't have a lot of time left. 

Groaning, he pulled out his textbooks and started on his homework, having left no choice.

 

Jongin has liked Misung ever since his freshman year. She was definitely his type, loyal and caring and of course utterly beautiful.Jongin didn't have alot of friends besides Sehun, but Misung still made him feel so special and loved. 'She's just like Sehun,' he thought.

wait...

what?

Shaking off that odd thought, he returned to the small girl, who was sipping her taro tea quietly and looking abit nervous. She wasn't very talkative like alot of popular girls, and that was something Jongin appreciated very much. 

Misung caught Jongin staring and gave him a small smile. "So..." they said at the same time, making them break into soft laughter. Jongin was liking this girl more and more. They chatted abit about school and family, and they both felt happier than they have for a long time. 

Jongin opened his mouth and was about to confess how he liked Misung and has liked her for awhile when her phone rang.She mouthed a sorry and ran off to the restroom. She came back a few minutes later, face flushed and smiling sheepishly. "I'm sorry Jongin, I have to go. I'll see you in school." She grabbed her jacket and rushed out before Jongin even had the chance to offer her a ride.

Sighing in disappointed, he quickly paid for the bill and went to his motorcycle. Might as well go over to Sehun's and do his homework. His best friend probably finished by now and can give him all the answers.

 

 

Home was definitely not the same meaning as house. Well, that's what Jongin thought. For him, his house was just a place where shelter, food and money was provided. Home was a place where not only the three things were provided but more importantly, it was where love could be found as well. 

At his house, Jongin had all his basic necessities, but that was all. His parents showed no other care and love for their son, his dad only caring about drinking and his mom just wanted her own space. Even when his sisters were around all they cared about were their own families. 

At Sehun's home though, and notice he said home, he could find food, a place to stay when he just wanted to escape his family problems, and people that loved him and cared about him. Many times, especially when he was younger, Jongin thought of running away from home to go live with his best friend, who , when Jongin confronted him about this, had assured him many times that he would always be welcome. 

There was always someone at the Oh house, but when Jongin reached the house it was totally empty. He fished out his cellphone. He did not expect though, when he called his friends phone, to hear  mrs Oh's voice on the other end of the line. "Hello Jongin. We're in the hospital. Ward 94. " she immediately answered like she knew what Jongin wanted. 

Jongin rushed as fast as he could to the hospital,and barged into Sehun's room breathless and panting. Sehun's waved cheerily as if this was no big deal. "What happened?" Jongin demanded. A doctor he had not noticed was in the room with them stepped up. "Your friend here fainted suddenly out of nowhere just now, and after quick examination, we have come to a conclusion that Sehun's heart is much weaker than we thought. The medication we gave him appears to be of no help, or at least very little. Oh Sehun is officially off any medicine." 

It slowly dawned on Jongin what was going on. He almost broke down right there, because his best friend was going to leave him earlier. "But you can't.." 

Sehun took Jongin's hand in his frail one. "Listen,I don't want you to waste your time on me anymore. When I'm gone, you need someone else who can take care of you. Go make some friends, how about those four who call themselves EXO-K? They seem interested to befriend you. Stay with Misung too, she seems like a nice girl." He said it with sincerity, but Jongin could tell Sehun was just as sad as everyone else. 

Jongin shook his head."I'm staying with you and making the most of my time with you even if it means skipping a whole lotta dates with Misung." Sehun giggled. 

"By the way, how did your date go?" Jongin shrugged."Ok, but she ditched me at the end. She doesn't talk much, which was ok but I think you're a much better companion." As he said this, Jongin realised just how much he meant this, and Suddenly he didn't like Misung as much. He seemed to have said this out loud, because Sehun was raising his eyebrows at him. He smiled. "Forget it. Hey, wanna play 2048 again? I am so gonna win." 

Sehun scoffed. " Whatever, we both know that I am a master at this." The laughter of two teenage boys could be heard down the hallway, and as Mrs. Oh came back from the cafeteria, she peeked into the room and smiled at the touching sight.

 

 

Jongin climbed out of the car, putting on his shades as he looked around at his surroundings. "Still untouched, like always." He said to himself and went to help Sehun out the car. They were both in tshirts and khakis, carrying little backpacks of food and drinks. They made their way down the hill,Jongin's hand on Sehun's wrist as they picked their way around rocks and bushes.

Finally they came to the foot of the hill, where the beach was still as it was with white sand and clear turquise water. But that wasnt what they were looking for.

At the bottom of the hill, right where the beach started, was a giant oak tree. The very same one that the two friends had sat under six years ago, and saw that shooting star.

They sat down under the shade of the tree, soft grass tickling their butts and feet and a cool breeze sweeping through their hair as they munched on apples and sabdwhiches.

For hours they sat like that, enjoying the fresh air and scenery while chatting. They couldnt enter the water because Mrs Oh wouldnt allow them, saying that it was already enough she even let Sehun go out to some random beach in the middle of nowhere even if it was with Jongin.

It was soon evening.  The sun was descending over the pink sky. A flock of seagulls passed by and the sea was slowly turning pink as well. Sehun leaned his head on his best friends head, sighing in content. "This is definitely how I wanna spend my last days." 

Jongin remained quiet."What are you thinking about Jongin?"

"Stuff."

"Like?"

"Like how when you die I will have no one. When u die your mom will have no one. You may not have made an impact on a lot of people, but you certainly did on someone. I will miss you Sehun." A tear escaped Jongins eye and Sehun wiped it away with his thumb, taking his best friends hand. 

"Jongin even if I leave this world, I have a feelibg that I will stay in your heart. I kinda like it there. Its so warm." He rested his head on Jongins chest. It was warm and comfortable despite the beach becoming more and more chilly. Jongin chuckled and placed his sweater over Sehun's back.

"Then stay with me. And never let go." His hand squeezed tighter around Sehun's. The sky was now indigo, stars slowly appearing. "Do you think we'll see that shooting star again?"

"Well that's what we came here for. It would be a pity if it didnt." Suddenly, slowly, the area around them lit up with tiny orange lights. 

Sehun laughed in delight. "Jongin! Fireflies!" And indeed, when Jongin examined the star-like lights he realised that they were fireflies."Thats new. And even better. We must be sitting underneath their 'nest'." 

They gazed into each other's eyes. And Jongin didn't know what came over him, but right then and there he leaned over and kissed Oh Sehun right on the lips. Pale lips,but soft and fit right on his.

They both sighed into the kiss as Sehun's hands slowly traveled up to Jongin's face. They broke away and leaned their foreheads against each other. "I love you Oh Sehun."

"I love you too Kim Jongin. And that will never change, dead or not." Then that flash of light, the one they had been waiting all day for, lit up the sky, and slowly tons of them  were falling down, showering the skies like fireworks,just like they had seem before.

Sehun attached their lips again, and that kiss said everything. 

I wish...that you will never leave me.

 

 

A few days had passed since that day, and Jongin and Sehun were now an item. Jongin had long since known that Misung would never stand a chance against his best friend though always in denial. Misung though, was an entirely different story.

A girl clad in a crop top and mini skirt and heavy makeup ran up to the 'innocent' girl that Jongin had thought he was in love with. "Misung ah, did you see him? He was holding that creep Oh Sehun's hand."

Misung sighed and rubbed her eyes. "I know,my dear, exactly why I am so pissed off right now." She sighed yet again for tne umpteenth time. "Nevermind. He has found his soulmate. Luckily, his soulmate will be gone from this world soon, and I will be there to comfort him." She smiled at hwr ingenious plan and walked off. "For noe, I shall leave you with Sehun in peace."

 

a few months later...

Mrs Oh hugged Jongin in greeting as he entered the small hospital room. Sehun was lying in the bed in a hospital gown, skinny and frail but still handsome in Jongins eyes. A bouquet of flowers was lying on the table next to him, apparently from his classmates. So alot more people than they thought actually cared for Sehun.

Jongi  smiled and took his boyfriend's hand in his. "Hey baby." He kissed his forhead and Sehun smiled back. Three people were squashed on the bed, Sehun, Jongin and Mrs Oh, laughing at Jongins story of their history teacher being played a prank on, when the doctor came in with an unreadable expression. 

"Madam, boy,we need you to go out for awhile while we take a test. Jongins smile faltered abit but managed to exchange one last kiss with Sehun. Little did he know, that was the last kiss they would ever share. Mrs Oh kissed her sons forehead and pushed Jongin out. 

They were lounging outside on a bench, and Jongin, having nothing better to do was about to take out his phone to play when a red light on top of Sehun's door started blinking. A team of nurses and doctors rushed in, and Mr Oh was desperately trying to ask what was happening with her son. They shut the door on her and blocked her view of Sehun. All she and Jongin could hear was lots of shouting and they were getting scared.

Finally all was quiet inside and the doctor came out. Jongin looked up from his position, head in his hands, and quickly stood up. "Is Sehun alright?" One look from the doctor and they knew he definitely was not.

"Sehun is...dead." Mrs Oh practically fainted in Jongin's arms. The latter shook his head. "No, NO!Sehun can't he dead!"

"Im afraid he is son. Im sorry"

Jongin screamed and shouted, but there was nothing they could do to bring Sehun back. Finally, heaving one more sob of defeat, he led Mrs Oh out of the hospital to go home. 

So Sehun was finally gone.  After weeks, months, years of preparing for this day,  when it finally came, it hit everyone, hard. And to think, he had qctually believed in shooting stars.

 

 

Play this : Goodbye Summer - f(x)

Straightening his jacket, Jongin stared at his own reflection through the mirror. Jongin never wore a suit, never in his life had he ever worn one, and god knows how this very one that he was wearing had appeared in wardrobe.

This is why he never wore formal stuff. They seemed so serious, not fun at all and no happiness in that occsion.When Jongin actually went for a wedding (which was only once), he just put together an outfit that he thought his mother would approve for him to wear to church. 

He ran his fingers one last time through his hair to make it more tousled than it already was, and then went out the room, ignoring anything his mother or sisters said to him. He climbed into the back of the car and shouted out to them to hurry up. The car ride to the church lasted an hour, which gave him enough time, but not too much time, to sort out his thoughts.

The church was beautiful, with colourful stained glass windows and grand high ceilings, but Jongin couldn't enjoy it while he strolled down the aisle, refusing to cry as he helped carry his boyfriend's coffin to the other end. People tried to comfort him, telling him that he should just let it all out because that's what a real men are, but they didnt understand.

Jongin wasn't crying because he didnt want to. He wasn't crying because he couldn't. Sehun's death had happened so fast that Jongin had no time to process this, and then just like THAT Sehun was already being buried in his grave, away from Jongin forever.

The dinner at Sehun's house was even worse. People kept saying how it was a pity that such a nice boy had passed away, he didnt deserve this . Whenever Jongin heard this , he would get annoyed and basically his whole day was ruined.

One week later, Jongin was still sulking as he made his way to the cafetaria by himself. Now he really had to make friends, but without Sehun he had no faith in himself. Sighing irritably, he pushed past a group of rowdy juniors , dropping his phone. "." Jongin cursed under his breath and bent down to pick it up, just as another hand reached out for it , grabbing it at the same time as him.

Jongin looked up. The person before him wasn't familiar, but still Jongin felt his heart race abit. The boy was shorter, dark hair ruffled. His skinny jeans hugged his legs perfectly, shirt dipping so low to reveal a nice deal of (very inviting) collarbones, which may or may not have turned Jongin on just a bit. Big doe like eyes stared straight into his.

"This is yours?" The boy asked softly. "Yes...thank you." Jongin swore he felt a spark when their hands brushed while he took back his phone. "I'm Kyungsoo by the way." Wasn't that the senior from that group of boys EXO-K? Sehun was always trying to get Jongin to befriend them. "I'm Jongin. " They exchanged a small smile before Kyungsoo walked off, looking back one last time to wave and say "See you around" and disappeared into the crowd. Jongin clutched his chest and looked up. "Sehun, where are you when I need you? I can't do this. Not without you. I wished....that you would be mine forever. Shooting stars, huh?"


 

Hello everybody *waves and smiles*.

Well this is awkward. Omg, has it been three months already? Oh no.

After making you guys wait for SO long, Im finally done with SHOOTING STARS! *throws confetti*  SO sorry for the long wait but I've been really busy these three months preparing for end of year exams and stuff. But anyway, here is kungfupanda2's first ever angst story and I reaally hope you like it. I'm not a very good writer, but I tried my best to finish it in between school and life.  

Please leave a comment on what you think, upvote cos it doesnt cost, and if you want, subscribe as well as it would make my day:)))))

Thank you all for reading this.

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ THE BELOW TEXT 

Also, there is gonna be a sequel!!!!Of course I can't leave you all hanging when Jongin was just about to start his new life without his dear friend and love. It will take awhile, probably longer than it took for this (oops). If you really want a sequel though, please subscribe because this is where I will keep you updated on the sequel's status and other information. 

 

So my dear readers who have been so patient,COMMENT to tell me your thoughts, UPVOTE if you liked this, and SUBSCRIBE for the sequel.

Once again, this has been kungfupanda2. Over and out.