Crossing Paths

Behind Closed Doors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Spill.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Joon replies defensively, his cheeks slowly heating up to its core. That is Joon for you. Whenever he is embarrassed, he either gets really shy and starts blushing like a tomato, or starts his whole verbal self-defence drama. Knowing how interrogative s can get, he decides to keep his lips sealed.

Smack!

“Ow!!! What was that for?!?!” He rubs the side of his head and combs his messed up hair, thanks to the unexpected portray of violence from his intimidating elder.

“Don’t talk to your hyung like that. I’ve told you this before. Just because you were born a few months earlier, your hyung is still your hyung.” Seungho continues to his infamous string of lectures once again while silently defending his fellow same-age friend, to which Joon, Mir and Cheondung always tune out. The three ones in the bottom of the MBLAQ hierarchy continue to stare blankly on the oak brown table as their leader rambles on about seniority among friends like an annoying mosquito.

They are sitting at Cube Entertainment’s cafeteria while waiting for Jihoon to finish his meeting with the other directors. They had ordered few bowls of jajangmyun, kimchi ramyun, bibimbap, and various plates of kimchi – they are practically preparing to feast like starving labourers who have been out in the scorching heat all day.

All four members have been burning holes into Joon’s forehead with their eyes ever since they said their goodbyes to 4minute and BEAST in CEO Hong’s office. Joon had seen this coming ever since he realised how s noticed his strange behaviour after meeting her. But this doesn’t mean he has to spill the details like a hopeless lovesick teenage girl.

“You know what we’re talking about.” G.O slowly latches out, at the same time staring down at Joon with mischief clearly visible in his small, brown eyes.

Just as the guys are about to again, the waitress comes to their table with a tray of kimchi ramyun in her hands. Mir and Seungho’s starving selves started digging in right away as their eyes glistered in bliss at the sight of the glorious food laid out before them. A hint of hope appears in Joon’s eyes as he witnesses the scene. It seems as though s have forgotten about interrogating him at this point. He finally relaxes is stiff body and grabs a pair of chopsticks with a coy smile.

But of course, MBLAQ would not be MBLAQ if the members didn’t tease and make fun of each other 24 hours a day. That’s right. 24 hours a day, including sleep time. There was a time when the 87-line elders caught Cheondung sitting alone suspiciously in the studio late at night, reading a magazine meant only for mature readers. Ever since then, G.O who shares the same bedroom as Cheondung will mumble certain things in his sleep that causes Cheondung to cringe and blush. He has often heard him subconsciously chuckling and mumbling, “Sanghyun-ah… do you watch videos too?”, when the guy was supposed to be in dream land. Who makes fun of others in their sleep?

Only MBLAQ.

While filling their stomachs this time, they are feeling more conscious than ever and they are not planning to let Joon off the hook easily.

“Why did your eye twitch when you saw Hyuna-sshi earlier in the office?” Seungho questions while downing his second plate of jajangmyun at the same time like a vacuum cleaner.

Joon shuts his eyes in annoyance and jabs the noodles with his chopsticks repeatedly. He knows he will have to face a confrontation like this soon because of what happened and it is evitable that he would meet her again. But he didn’t know he has to do it this soon.

This is it.

He takes a deep breath and quickly gathers his thoughts before feeding the curious and hungry monkeys on the ‘juicy’ details.

“I’ve met her before.” Joon pauses and waits nervously for s to respond while adopting his newfound hobby in staring at noodles.

Seungho and G.O both roll their eyes at the same time. “No sh*t, Sherlock.” Mir breaks the silence and comments impatiently with his mouth filled with food.

Smack!

“HYUNG!!!” Mir blasted out while showering bits and pieces of food from his mouth all over the table.

“Why are you guys cursing so much today? What did I just say??? You’re not at your own homes now. Why—”

“Okay, okay. Can we please let our man of the hour continue his story?” G.O quickly butts in. s are clearly wasting time. “When. Where. How. Why. What. Details. Spill. NOW.”

Joon clears his throat awkwardly. He knows when his hyungs are serious. And they are seriously waiting for an answer right now.

“I’ve actually seen her before a couple of months ago…

---

“Ahjumma! Can you give me all your leftovers today please? I’m starving…” Joon whines as he attempts to give the owner of his favourite ddeokbokki stall the puppy dog eyes and goofy grin. He loves harassing their neighbourhood ahjumma whenever he decides to take a walk for a breath of fresh air after a long day of dance training. He has been visiting this particular stall with his parents and sister ever since he was a little goofy 5-year-old running around the streets. The ahjumma used to sell snacks just outside his old high school. He is privileged to be born and bred in Seoul. He stays roughly 15 minutes away from his parents’ house. He seldom gets homesick, unlike his younger friend, Mir. But sometimes, he still has little home-cooked cravings. Being exhausted and lazy, he will just run out to this stall and give the ahjumma some business.

She furrows her eyebrows and feigns a glare at Joon. But he knows better because this is always the expression she directs at him before her cold look thaws into a warm, motherly smile. She can never say no to young and polite boys like him. She slowly begins to pack all the leftover ddeokbokki and fish cakes into a big plastic bag for him. She doesn’t mind since it is almost midnight and she usually has fewer customers at this hour.

Just as he is about the grab a few notes from his back pocket, she quickly hands him the black bags and shoos him away, pushing him on the shoulder. He jerks her hand back and insists on paying for his late-night snacks. “Ahjumma… don’t be like that.”

“Just go. You can pay me back all you want when you become famous, alright? Just give me plenty of autographed CDs so I can give it to my customers. Bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter