Last.

Letter to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dear Zhang Yixing,

I just finished my work, so I decided to go to Weibo and write some words for you.

“Hyung, you ready? Practice in 10 mins.”

Yixing looks up to see Tao leaving their shared room. He gave the younger member a nod and puts away his composition book.

“I can’t believe we’re debuting in less than a month.” Yixing heard the maknae, Sehun's voice. as he walked out of the room after Tao.

“Debut date is getting closer, which means no more fooling around. Practice will be more intense. Hours will be longer. I know it will be tough on you guys, but don’t forget this is your dream come true” The boys’ manager gave his thought of wisdom.

Dream come true, Yixing thought to himself, why do I feel like I’m losing hope?

“Let’s go, we don’t have time to waste”

The boys filed out, heading to the studio to finish some last minute changes to their choreography.

Yixing trained for 3 years to be where he is today. He couldn’t let s down. He couldn’t let his family down. Most of all, he couldn’t let her down.

You made a promise, he told himself, as he followed s out to the van.

As soon as the boys arrive, the choreographer was already there, alongside the founder and chairman of SM Entertainment.

The 12 boys bowed their heads out of respect for their boss. Mr. Lee Soo Man smiled and quickly told them to raise their heads.

“I know you guys all know how fast debut day is approaching. Work hard, for the amount of work you put in now will determine your level of popularity in the future" 

“Yes, seonsangnim!” The boys cried out in union.

“Very good. Now I just want to wish you boys good luck because the next time we meet will be the day you debut."  

The members of EXO nodded their head and gave a bow once more as the chairman  left the studio.

I will work hard so that, in the future, I will happily greet you again as a singer. Yixing remembered his promise, as the choreographer called out for places and played their debut song.

***

Few hours ago your grandparents called me to inform that you were about to debut soon and that you were very busy at the moment, they also told me not to worry. But neither of them knew we rarely kept in touch.

"Is this a joke to you guys?" The choreographer yelled for the 5th time that day. 

Debut day was getting closer and closer. The boys rarely got a night of sleep. The pressure grew, and the tension between the members did not cease, not even slightly.

EXO is suppose to be a group. Why is it so hard to work as one. Was the motto "we are one" just for show?

"There's two weeks left before debut" The choreographer continued, "At this rate you guys will be known as 'the group with the worst debut stage'"

The boys hung their head low, the younger members' eyes blinking away the obvious years. 

Yixing rubbed the back of their maknae's neck, trying his best to comfort him. 

"We'll do great Sehun-ah, don't cry." The older man patted Sehun's head as they readied themselves for another round of practice. 

"No one leaves until all trace of mistakes are gone" The choreographer announced. "We can stay here until tomorrow morning if we have to" 

Tao's voice cracked as he could no long hide his whimper. "Why is this so hard?" 

"You signed yourself up for this. Not everyone can do it. Only the ones who deserve it will remain until the end" The choreographer explained, starting the song from the beginning. 

The boys stood in formation, letting the music control their movements. The choreographer drags his attention to each individual, stopping at Yixing. 

He could see the determination oozing out of the young boy. He has potential, all he needs it a push. 

"Stop" 

The members look around confused. They didn't think any of them made a mistake. 

"Yixing" The members could hear the said boy letting out a small gasp. 

"Yixing, you need to stay later than the boys. We can't have one member messing it up for everyone else" 

The members cast a glance at their friend, surprised by the choreographer's decision. In their eyes, Yixing had gotten the choreography down perfectly. 

"Yes seonsangnim" He replied quietly.

"The rest of you may take a break" 

***

After receiving their call, I feel so relieved, so I went to visit them. They cooked lots of delicious food for me, they said no matter how our relationship went, they still treated me as their granddaughter. 

"Hyung, it's time to eat" Jongin called out to the man that was still mimicking the dance moves to their debut song. "Come on, I know you're hungry."

"Hold on Jongin-ah, I can't get this part down. Why does it look weird when I do it?" Yixing asked, frustrated with himself. 

The choreographer had changed a move in the last minute, challenging the boys further than what seems to be their limit. 

"You need to bend you knees more when the second verse comes. Don't be so rigid, it'll slow your step by a beat" Jongin said, looking at his Hyung with admiration. 

A lot of people saw Jongin as the dancer of the group, but to Jongin, he was nothing compared to Yixing. Yes, Jongin started dancing at a younger age, but Yixing self-taught himself everything he knew. To Jongin, his hyung was just as good, if not better. 

"I see what I did wrong now. Thank you" Yixing said, giving his younger member a smile. "You go on ahead, I want to go over these steps a few more times. I'll be over in a few minutes." 

"But hyung, Joonmyun-hyung says I can't go back without you in tow. Come on, I'm hungry. Don't let me starve" Jongin did not contain his whine and he started stomping his foot on the floor. 

"Alright, I can always do this after dinner" 

"I don't know. It's almost 3 am. Manager hyung wants us to head home after our so-call dinner" Jongin replied, puffing his breath to blow some air to his matted hair. 

The two dancers headed on over to where the rest of the group sat around to eat some black bean noodles and chicken. Seeing the food, Yixing's stomach growled. He didn't even realize how hungry he was. 

Grabbing a box of noodles, Yixing started digging in, savoring the taste of his, almost cold, dinner. I miss grandma's cooking, Yixing thought to himself, she always made the best noodles. No wonder I was such a chubby child. 

The members look up to see one of their main dancers laughing, his dimple quite visible. 

Everyone was tired from the hours of dance rehearsal and vocal practice. However, out of the 12 members, Yixing was the only one who has yet to mutter a complaint. He endured every pain and suffered silently, not wanting to make it harder on the other members, or anyone in particular. 

"Eat a lot Yixing. I think you're getting too skinny" Kris said, placing a chicken leg on the younger male's plate. 

***

Deep inside my heart, I don’t want to talk about you, I just want to take care of them for you, do all the work you should be doing. I understand, very clearly, that when you choose to be a singer, you can’t stay by their side. I will do everything I could, and try my best to take care of them and make them happy.

Yixing and the two maknaes walk to a near-by bubble tea shop to quench their thirst after a  long practice. Because they were still trainees, no one recognized them as they made their way to the front of the counter.

“Welcome, what can I get for you guys?” The lady behind the counter offered a gentle smile.

“1 chocolate and 2 taro please” The maknae beamed at the pretty cashier.

Returning the smile, the lady finished taking their orders and went to work on their drinks. Yixing eyed her curiously; amazed by the concentration she used to make the drinks. Such an easy task, but she worked like her life depended on it.

Reminds me of someone, Yixing thought to himself, not breaking any eye contact of the lady in front of him.

The said female looked up, feeling a gaze on her. She noticed the quite male silently looking her way. His face showed no emotion and she couldn’t tell whether he was interested or not.

“Would you guys like extra tapioca balls?” She asked, breaking the trance of the silent man.

“Yes please” Sehun nodded, enthusiastically.

Finishing the drinks, she placed straws in each cup and gave them to the rightful owner.

“$9.29 is your total” She gave another smile. Surprisingly, they came natural instead of being forced.

“Thank you” Yixing was the one who replied, handing the cashier the correct amount of cash.

The lady noticed a dimple on the male’s right cheek. She couldn’t help but admit how handsome he was.

“You’re paying for everything?”

Yixing gave a once nod followed by a laugh from Jongin and Sehun.

“He’s our hyung, he takes really good care of us” Jongin said, tiring to out the tapioca balls through the straw. Sehun nodded in agreement.

“He’s really responsible” Sehun added.

“That’s nice to hear” The cashier gave Yixing another glance and blushed when she realizes he was already staring at her.

“Well it was nice to meet you” The maknaes cried out in sync, then the three males walked out of the bubble tea shop.

“I wonder why he was staring so much” The lady asked herself, as she watched the three customers walk out the door.

They have the same hair color, Yixing thought as he followed his two young members back to their agency building.

***

We’ve known each other for 6 years, and fallen in love for almost 3 years. I know I’m neither a beautiful girl nor an amazing person, but when we were together, I can feel your love for me.

”How long have you been dancing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter