three.

The Unbreakable Boy

Seunghee inwardly screamed. She was exposed. He was going to see her and he wasn’t supposed to see her.

Kai stopped and looked around, sensing a presence that he couldn’t pinpoint. He shrugged his shoulders and headed through the entrance into the dance studio. His dance studio. The door closed with a loud click. Seunghee hastily sneaked out of the strange studio.

Luckily he didn’t see me, she thought.

Relief rushed through her body as she let out her breath. She quickly headed through the alleyway out of the doors towards the park again. A few droplets of rain fell onto her. She looked up. The sky was now a sad, gloomy, dull grey sheet; sunless and cloudless. Just plain dark grey. The rain poured down. It was loud and splattering on the concrete ground.

“My food!” she squealed, her bag getting wet.

She hurriedly looked around for a place to prevent her from getting wet. The park was a vast open area with virtually no cover except for a tiny olive green picnic table with a lopsided umbrella standing loosely in the middle. All of the young toddlers that were playing in the playground and their parents scurried under the lone picnic table. Seunghee sighed. She would feel bad to join them there. Her home wasn’t that far but there was no sheltered paths on the way back home.

Left with no other choice, she ran back towards the dance studio. Going through the camouflaged door once again, she found herself stranded between the two. Without thinking further, Seunghee turned the slightly rusted silver door handle in a downwards motion and found herself inside the studio, undercover and dry but with Kai.

His eyes widened in surprise at the unexpected visitor.

“…sorry for intruding, Kai” she said, trying to sound casual.

He sent her a look of confusion.

Oh he probably doesn’t remember me, she thought, disappointed.

Then he suddenly remembered the new girl in class today.

Was it Seunghee? Kai thought. He wasn’t very sure.

She cleared .

“I’m Seunghee, new student at Seoul High”, she explained.

Kai nodded but didn’t say anything. He just stared down at her with empty, vacant, unreadable eyes. Seunghee awkwardly stared down at the stone pavement, fiddling with her plastic bag and avoiding eye contact.

Finally after some time, Kai spoke.

“What are you doing here?” he asked in a tired voice.

“It was raining and I had nowhere to go” she answered.

He sighed.

“How’d you find this place? Is the entrance that obvious?” he asked.

“No… it’s just that I was here bef-“ she stopped herself, realizing her stupid mistake.

“You’ve what? Been here before? When?” he asked suddenly looking angry.

Seunghee mentally slapped herself. She was usually smart and good at making excuses. Why did she suddenly say something so dumb?

“I came across it before”, she responding hesitantly, “like just today and...”

“and you hid when you saw me come in” he finished for her.

“yeah” Seunghee said lamely.

“Whatever” he mumbled. “Do you wanna have a drink?”

Seunghee was confused. His eyes were full of anger just a few seconds ago and now he doesn’t care and was asking her if she wanted a drink.

He’s so bipolar, she thought.

Seunghee politely declined. He went to the kitchen in the studio and poured her a glass of water anyway.

“I have water, Kai but thanks for the offer” she said, lifting up her plastic bag of instant noodles and water and smiled at him.

He felt stupid for asking now. Kai looked down at her bag of food and water bottle and his tummy rumbled. The instant noodles looked so attractive at that moment.

“Um, there’s a kettle here by the way” he casually mentioned, trying to sound normal.

Seunghee sent him a look of confusion.

“Why don’t we eat something… um um like your um noodles? I’m hungry” he asked, with reddened cheeks, scratching the back of his head.

The last thing Seunghee thought Kai would do was to ruin his cool bad boy aura and ask for food in a cute way. And here he was asking someone he barely knew for food. He reminded her of a young innocent carefree boy at that moment.

“Ok, sure” she replied, laughing slightly.

He smiled gratefully at her and took the bag from her hands. He took out two bowls of instant noodles.

Seunghee sat herself down on a small couch watching Kai boil water.

He’s sweet despite his unapproachable aura, she thought.

After a couple of minutes, Kai came back to the sofa.

“Here you are, careful, it’s hot” he said while giving Seunghee her bowl.

Seunghee nodded and smiled, thanking him.

They ate their noodles while an awkward silence emitted through the air.

“They’re nice, the noodles I mean” Kai said.

“Mhmm” she replied, devouring her food.

Kai and Seunghee talked for a while about anything; from favourite foods to their most ticklish parts of their body to their pet peeves. The two became considerably closer afterwards.

After the simple dinner, Kai and Seunghee the two headed out of the studio.

“Thanks for letting me stay there Kai” she said.

“It’s fine, see you tomorrow at school, Jang Seunghee” he replied with a tiny smile.

Just as Seunghee was about to turn left, Kai suddenly caught her wrist.

“Do you want me to walk you home? It’s really dark now and you know it’s pretty dangerous these days, especially for a girl and-” he spluttered.

“It’s fine. Really.” She cut him off, holding in her laughter.

Her soft lips curved upwards and she smiled at him and she waved goodbye and went her way.

Kai ruffled his own hair. He was never like this. It was strange, really strange of him to be like this. Why did she make him feel so comfortable? The way she talked to him was not how a usual girl would talk to him. Most would giggle and flirt with him but Seunghee was different. She was herself. But there was also something else; she seemed to know what to say and what not to say.

Kai put on his black and red headphones and headed home.

 

-

 

He reached his light grey apartment door and quickly entered his four-digit code. He slumped onto his couch and looked at the kitchen.

Great. I still have to make dinner, Kai thought bitterly.

Oh, but I already had dinner with Seunghee, he remembered, a smile automatically forming on his face.

 

 

Little did Kai know that he was slowly falling in love with someone he’d only known for less than a day, the new transfer student: Seunghee.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author’s Note

 

I’m so so so so so so sorry guys!! I haven’t updated in forever. I’ve been so busy with life. Feel free to slap me.

//takes all slaps

 

Anyways the third chappies up. Hopefully, i’ll be able to update more these days (no promises hehe)

 

Please subscribe, comment and upvote!

I love you all <33