End

The Bridge of souls

 

 

I was walking down the street of the city I´ve been living in for the past twenty-eight years. I didn´t feel anything at the moment, at least not physically. It was still dark outside although it was already an early morning. Soon people would start getting up and begining another day in their busy lives. But that´s not my case.

 

I pushed my hands deeper into my pockets and let the light cold but definitely not dramatic rain soak the rest of my skinny body. I wasn´t afraid of catching a cold. Usually when I go out in such a weather I have to wear at least five layers of clothing even in summer in order to not catch a cold. But that´s not the case now.

 

Sharply throwing my head to the side I made the wet strands of hair out of my eyes. I was too lazy to pull out my hands from my pockets. The raven black locks were the most timid colour I had in years. I´ve changed my hair colour at least ten times in variations from white to pink and blue. I liked it fancy but it´s not the case anymore.

 

Already spotting my destination I quickened the pace. The wet clothes clung to my skinny body. I´ve always been thin no matter how much I ate. But I knew how to wear clothes to look fashionable. Even with cheap stuff I managed to put an all stars outfit. But with old black jeans and baggy sweater it´s not really the case.

 

Slowing down I made my way to the cold railing of a bridge. I pulled my hands out of my pockets and laid them on the cold metal surface. The strong wind hit my frail body and I shivered. I was almost perfectly convinced that there were no tears in my eyes left but something warm slid down my cheeks and it couldn´t be the rain. I was the lost case.

 

“Hyukjae, you idiot,” I scolded myself for crying. It´s useless to be emotional now and especially a crybaby. At least nobody´s gonna laugh at you here for it.

 

I gulped the bitterness that invaded my mouth. Why does sadness taste bitter? I would prefer it being sweet but then there´s the classical problem. Only good things taste sweet. Suddenly I wanted to be in my favourite café eating their delicious raspberry-chocolate cake. Just when I was imagining the warm cocoa, the harsh weather slapped me across the face.

 

“Forget it, Hyukjae, it´s the past,” I wiped those annoying hot tears and threw my leg over the railing.

 

Soon my was soaked from the puddle of water resting on the metal as I was sitting on it. My hands were gripping the railing tightly but my long legs were already swinging above the water surface. Seeing the huge distance between my feet and the river, it might not even hurt. I would do this, I´ve already decided long ago but only now I had the guts to do so.

 

“Gosh, can´t the weather be at least more dramatic tonight?” I wailed.

“Then you should come another time.”

 

I jerked in surprise hearing the foreign voice. I turned to the right and saw a beautiful man next to me. The guy was leaning against the railing comfortably, the raincoat and nice shoes indicating he wasn´t here for the same reason as me.

 

“You startled me, I almost fell,” I told him.

“Wasn´t that what you wanted?” The handsome man asked in a playful tone.

“Yeah but because of you my last words could have been a wail,” I shifted on the railing awkwardly.

“For someone who´s about to commit suicide you have some nice sense of humour,” he chuckled and for some reason I liked the ring of his voice.

“Thanks,” I answered curtly and let the rain slap me some more. I was exhausted.

 

The person next me didn´t move and I wondered if he was waiting for the show. It was even more morbid than being buried in a coffin. That I hoped won´t happen and some hungry fishes, or at least dogs, would take care of me. I sighed and loosened my grip. Slowly I put my palms on my thighs. If the wind hits me from the back, I´ll just fly. I´ve always been a lightweight.

 

“What are you doing?” I whispered. I had no strength to speak anymore.

 

The man walked behind me and hugged my waist from behind. It was a strange feeling. At first I thought he wanted to push me, which would be kinda sick but probably appreciated. But then I realised he was actually holding me back.

 

“You pulled your hands away. I was afraid you might fall,” the beautiful male answered calmly.

 

I was stunned. What he said absolutely didn´t make sense. Just a while ago he was joking about the fall but now he was preventing me to do so. I was going crazy. I was angry and confused and just utterly sad.

 

“Let go,” I croaked in the loudest voice I could manage.

“I never listen to orders, except from when I was in military and even there it wasn´t flawless,” the grip around my waist tightened.

“But I really want to leave,” I begged him.

 

There was nothing for me left. I lived my life trying to gain a worth. It was my lifetime goal to become someone worthy and to have someone else say that they were proud of me. I studied and then worked hard on my own. I kept changing my hairstyles just to hear someone say I was handsome. I wore nice clothes that hugged my body on the right places and hoped that someone would turn around seeing me on the street. I tried to make a good impression on my parents but to no avail, they liked my sister better. I´ve been trying really hard since I was a child but slowly I got tired of it. I couldn´t reach my dream and became annoyed. I wasn´t asking much. Just a tiny bit of their time when they would tell me how proud of me they have become. But my efforts were futile so I stopped working, then eating and then I decided to stop breathing too. I wasn´t needed, I wasn´t loved, I wasn´t even being noticed.

 

“Breathe, idiot!”

 

I inhaled strongly at that command. I didn´t even realise I was holding my breath but the long fingers on my belly knew otherwise. The arms in red coat sneaked around my chest and I felt my body being pulled backwards. He was pulling me down from the railing. I wanted to struggle but I was too weak already.

 

“Don´t,” I tried to stop him for the last time but with only exchanging a few words with this stranger I could tell, he wouldn´t listen. And as expected I got properly ignored by the guy who was trying to fish something from his pocket while holding me up on my shaking legs awkwardly.

 

“Here we go!” He exclaimed and pulled out some keys. Only then I realised that a bike was parked and properly locked a few meters from the bridge. The hell?

 

The beautiful man slapped me harshly on the back so I decided to not protest and do whatever he wanted. I had nothing to lose anyway. After juggling with the lock he climbed on his red bike making me wonder if he had some kind of obsession for the colour red. On his command I sat behind him gripped his raincoat. I thought he would step on the pedal but he suddenly turned to me.

 

“By the way, I´m Heechul and I would miss a lot the most beautiful customer that has ever walked into my café so don´t you ever pull a stunt like this or I won´t let you leave my side forever.”

 

I looked at him with my eyes wide. I must have been at my worst today but he just called me beautiful. I´ve never seen him in the café but he had noticed me. We haven´t even talked to each other and he was already offering me a place next to him. Another bunch of tears escaped from my eyes followed by ugly snot. Heechul smiled at me warmly and I tightened my hold on him because at all costs I didn´t want to fall down.

 

For the first time in my life I felt like I actually existed, that I honestly wanted to live. And in the best case end up being loved by the man, to whom I had just gifted my very own soul for a simple smile.

 

 

 

 

-The End-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have nothing to say to this. I just hope you enjoyed reading. :) - thank you, PandaHero