East of Eden

Dire News Kpop Reviews

So, this is a little delayed but anyways…

I’m simultaneously really happy and so sad. LC9 is back! Finally! Except…E.den and Rasa are gone. Rasa is just temporarily inactive for his military service but E.den has returned to Canada, officially leaving the group. Which I mean that is his descision and I can’t fault him for it; it’s just sad to see him gone and then no Rasa either? I think the worst part is that they really only got such a short time on stage. I mean this is their first comeback and they are down two members. Granted it has been well over a year since Mama beat (not over that Nega, I know that both BEG and Lunafly had comebacks in the last year but why debut a group if you are going to ignore them [looking at you SM after Exo’s debut]?) Whelp, at least my bias is still there (King btw) despite the fact that their group name is getting increasingly less sensible as time goes on. They debuted as six, were supposedly going to gain three more to make 9, but instead they lost two. Though supposedly the nine is for success according to their manager (doesn’t explain that teaser before debut though). Moving past all that, let’s watch East of Eden…

The Song:

I’m going to start here this time because the MV is super simple. The song…oh, the song. I’m in love. I mentioned this in an earlier review but I definitely need to revamp my favorites list Some usurpers have definitely come out in the last couple of months.

Okay, first of all, let me fangirl for a moment. This song was totally chosen for a reason and the title is not a coincidence.  I mean, it is a love song but in a very platonic way and all I could think of was E.den leaving LC9 to pursue his education. This was a fantastically subtle way of supporting and honoring his place in LC9. And it is so amazing.

Beyond that it is just one of the best breakup/going our separate ways songs I have ever heard. It is just so sweet and supportive and there is this sense of heartbreak that is very different from most breakup songs. It’s sort of ‘yes, I’m sad you are gone. But we both need to do what is best for us. I hope the best of everything for you and I hope we meet again someday with our goals achieved.’, which is so touching and I am actually in tears writing this. Like I just had to wipe off my keyboard. Sobbing. In a happy way. I really don’t cry at music guys, this is just…I’m sort of terrified at how deeply this song is effecting me.

I mean…

I mean that this song actually just knocked ‘Hole in your Face’ to spot two in my top twenty. I have never faltered from that song it has been my favorite song point blank (not just in Kpop) from the first time I heard it. This just tossed it away like a feather. I can’t even deal with this.

Back to reviewing though, (gotta pull myself together. Do you see why it took so long for me to do this?) not only is the song stunning lyrically and melodically their vocals are stellar. Which I knew LC9 had killer vocals (have you heard Hold on?!), but this knocked me on my . Not even going to pretend to censor that. All four of them sounded amazing J-hyo (the only remaining official rapper-the first one that rapped FYI) and AO (Maknae- other rapper who is actually vocal line) sound just as good rapping as singing which is rare. We aren’t talking passable/decent singing or rapping I mean they are damn good at both, equally good. King and Jun just always have awesome vocals anyways so that was no real shock (though they have all gotten even better in the last year). I also love the fact that each one of them a has a seriously distinct vocal color, I can tell them apart by voice alone! They still blend their voices flawlessly though despite the really obviously different voices and ranges. I’m stunned. I loved Mama Beat and that whole mini-album(?) but this just suited them so well. I could rant about this song all day but I should talk about the MV, huh?

The MV:

So simple, so gorgeous. The guys look fantastic in their dark suits and dark hair and the minimalist look of the video is just so spot on for this kind of song. Sometimes it is good to just let the music speak for itself. The video is just a bonus look at the singers.

Final thoughts:

I think a lot of people were thrown by the difference in styles between this and Mama Beat. I think a lot of people were looking forward to seeing what next badassery LC9 pulled off after Mama Beat and then this song after such a long wait? I have seen a lot of sort of neutral reactions to it. Nothing really negative but very little that is as positive as my feelings for this song. I could just be an extreme case though. Personally, I like this better than Mama Beat, by far. I love Mama Beat but this shows off their talents a lot more than something like that.

All that being said, this was just a digital single. NEGA! Comeback, now! Seriously, this is ridiculous. Please God, tell me you aren’t waiting for Rasa to come back. I mean, I miss him and all but I need a full comeback ASAP.

I am going to cut myself off here before I write a thesis on this topic. I just have this to say…

Saranghae, LC9! Your Love Beats have missed you all! To E.den, best wishes, your place in LC9 will always be remembered. Rasa, good luck in the military, we will be here waiting.