Touch My Body

Dire News Kpop Reviews

Welcome once again to another installment of me babbling on about MV’s. Up on the chopping block this time is Sistar with their booty shaking summer jam, Touch My Body.

Despite the somewhat awkward dancing (Or involuntary tick?) the song is a bright addition to my summertime playlist. Though I’ll admit I was one of the people that were expecting more “Touch my body” than “touch my body”. I shan’t complain though. I would have been pleased either way. I like that Sistar has pretty consistently gone for a more mature y concept and this is no exception. The Ladies still exude that same sensuality as always even while in a bright summery setting.

MV:                                                                                              

The set for this MV was exactly what a fun summer song should look like in my opinion. The majority of it takes place between the pool and the party and the colour palette is bright and cheerful. I would have loved to have been invited to this party man (Though personally I could have used a few more invitees of the male variety. Hey, I’ll take Hongchul though.) Everyone appeared to be having a pretty genuinely good time playing around with each other. I did find the  way that the hot boys that kept appearing in the BG were completely ignored by the girls (takes a stronger woman than I) to be cute. Though, it does bring to question who exactly they are talking to. Though Hongchul and other guy (who I know that I know  but whose name escapes me ) are more obviously present than the other guys in the MV they, like Sistar, tend to play amongst themselves more than with the girls. The girls were having fun playing around with each other for the most part and they were really very cute while doing so. The video was pretty heavily focused on their interactions with each other rather than with whoever it is that they want to touch their body. Unless they were in fact referring to each other, in which case, more power to ya girls!

The solo shots of the members made slightly more of an attempt to fit into the video than say…Infinite ‘Back’…but that was almost silly. This kind of video really needs no explanation for gratuitous solo moments (no drama= no explaining). The moments were cute and quirky, like the rest of the video and the choreo and just generally work for the video that they were creating. Admittedly, the choreo is significantly more hilarious when they are doing it alone rather than in a group, funny either way though.

Choreo:

Oh my. That is something, alright. Shake those booties, ladies. No fear! Not that they have anything to fear,  if my looked like that I would be shaking it constantly. Regardless, the choreo was pretty heavily reliant on the hip rolling, shaking, and leg jiggling with some simple arm movements for flow. It works for this song though. Touch My Body is not the kind of song that you really want to see some elaborate dance routine attached to. It is obviously meant to be the kind of song that people just dance to. The kind of music that you’ll eventually find yourself praying not to come out on shuffle in public because your flailing is not for public consumption. The routine is a necessary addition for the purpose of performance (though it would be kind of great to see a group freestyling it up on stage). The weird wiggle/shake threw me on my first watch but damn if I wasn’t doing it too by listen three. Honestly, that is the kind of dance move that I love seeing in MV’s. That dorky, not taking myself too seriously, dance that you and your girlfriends made up drunk on margaritas during girls night. You know, the ones that really make you question the brilliance of cellphone cameras in the morning? As much as I love the really amazing, I would kill myself attempting to do that, routines that we see so often in Kpop it is fun to see idols able to simply have fun with it once in a while.

Fashion:

So this isn’t technically fashion but, I would kill for those bodies. Moving on, they all look fantastic. Their outfits are simple and fun and summery. Even their matching ones don’t feel matchy (I mean they are Identical but their simplicity makes it feel less forced and allows each girl to shine in her clothes). As always, Hyorin looks phenomenal with a tan but everyone looks great in their clothes and their range of sun colour. (ranging from “the white stage looks dingy” to “Caramel Macchiato”) They have the cutest bathing suits and they all look comfortable and happy in their clothes which is great.

Song:

As I mentioned, this song is definitely one for my summer playlist. Hearing it makes me smile and dance along and given the sort of summer song rut Kpop has been having this year (I think we are finally breaking through guys!)I’m really happy with it. Their voices sound amazing and the music itself is pretty great. I would love an instrumental of this actually. It really gave me that summer time feeling (a little late, given I am now edging on back to school but I’ll take it.)

Final thoughts:

A, definitely! I really like the song and the video which is usually pretty hit or miss for me with Sistar. I like the fact that they do that summer song pretty consistently as well. I definitely liked this song more than Loving You, though. More me. I have a lot of respect for Sistar for basically always doing the y thing but also being able to keep the balance toward realistic y rather than groping myself y (which has its place but only in small doses). Sistar’s kind of y is the kind that they can maintain in every promotion regardless of song style and without becoming exaggerated and overblown.  I am pleased. You?