20-17

Dire News Kpop Reviews

Top Twenty Countdown! Part one:

So my personal top twenty K-songs list has undergone some serious overhauling in the past few months so I thought that I could do a fun little series here with some mini-reviews/recommendations. Now, not all of these songs have videos but I will embed youtube audio clips if they don’t have one.

I’m thinking I’ll have each chapter of the series host four of the countdown so that will be five chapters of this total, I’m thinking I’ll update with this series once a week. On Wednesdays, like this one! (click the titles for eng lyrics)

So Starting from the back…

20. Don’t Tease Me – Speed

This song is awesome. I love that it is upbeat without being cloyingly bubbly (Not that I hate bubbly, it has its place). The lyrics are witty and the composition and production are great. I love the member’s voices and their performance is awesome. You have to be dead not to appreciate the drama and effort of those acrobatics. I love that the circus concept wasn’t just an afterthought of costumes and sets but that the song itself was structured to feel like circus music, without the song actually alluding to anything about a circus.

Side note: Yes, it does remind me of Block B’s “Very Good” but only in that it is a witty and fun approach to upbeat hip-hop blended music. Yes, Taewoon does have a similar rap style to Zico. This makes complete sense to me as 1. They have similar voices (hi there genetics) and 2. They developed their styles together. But take note here, Block B is my ultimate bias group, “Very Good” didn’t even make the runner up cut in my list.

19. Am I Strange – Lee Hi

This song is so beautiful and it suits Lee Hi’s voice so well. The music is the kind that get you up and dancing a slow, smooth, contented dance. I always find myself swaying along with this song and mouthing the words whenever it comes on my iPod. The bare, instrumental melody is soothing and invigorating at the same time. Also, it just feels like spring to me. The lyrics are simple but meaningful and hugely relatable and just flow so well with her voice. I just don’t even know how to explain how this song makes me feel.

18. Zotto Mola – Gary

What can I say about this? Well for starters, this song just makes me melt inside. Like a pile of happy, Gary loving, goo. The underlying piano, vocal melody lines and beats, and even the bubbling sound effects work together to support Gary’s voice and take the song to the next level. Everything about the songs production works to enhance Gary’s voice and lyrics. This is a song that either you love or you are just like…um, okay then. I fall in the first category. The slight oddness of the production works for me. It actually makes me feel all floaty. This is one of those songs that I have a hard time keeping my eyes open during, in a good way. If I close my eyes I feel like I am flying.

The lyrics. Um, so where exactly does one apply to find a guy that feels like that and is willing to write it into a song. This is one of those really, well, real love songs. It’s not just “You are so pretty and cute and I love you.” And it’s not one of those extremes, you know what I mean, most love songs are about either a painful breakup or a happy beginning. This is about neither of those things, it’s about everything in between, a perfect combination of ‘you are my sun, moon, and stars’ and ‘why are you so hard to understand’.

17. Blossom Tears – LynxLeo

I am not rewriting a review of this. If you want to know how I feel see the MV review!