Lies.

I Remember

 

When I got home from work, you were always the picture of innocence.  You made dinner, cuddled with me on the couch as we watched TV, all the things normal couples are supposed to do.  Even though your innocent looks and acts never faltered over the weeks, I started noticing differences around the house.

One of the days when you were out of the house, I found a small bag of white powder in the closet under some shoes.  It finally clicked for me of how you had kept so sweet and innocent.  While I was at work, you were sitting here in a trance, snorting .  Now he found it easy to understand her behaviour; she was living out a dream in a drug induced stupor.

I held my head in my hands, letting all the pain wash out of me in the form of tears running down my face.  I felt my sobs racking my body.  How I had believed she was getting better, for me, for us!

I almost missed hearing my cell phone because of my sobs.  I flipped it open and put it up to my ear, trying not to let my tears and pain reach my voice.

“Hello?”I said, but almost immediately, my voice was drowned out by a scream.  A scream that chilled me right down to my bones.  I knew that scream anywhere.  It was you.

“Help me!  They have me because I don’t have the money to pay them!” You screamed into my ear.

“Who have you?” A note of panic had crept into my voice, even though I knew who you were talking about.

“The guys who sell me coke!  I couldn’t pay them so they’ve taken me and they’re holding me hostage!”  I could have almost seen the tears falling down her face.

Then a rough voice had found its way onto the phone.

“That’s right.  We’ve got your little girlfriend, and unless you pay up in the next hour, she’ll be dead.  If you call the cops, she’ll be dead before they can even get out of their cars.”

With that, they gave me the address and then abruptly hung up.