One step

[One Shot] Sad Wedding Song

 

All it would take is one step.

 

One step and everything can be put to an end. I stood there staring into that nothingness. That dark abyss that almost engulfed me to its doom. The darkness was mesmerizing with its silence.

 

One step.

 

I placed my hands on my bare arms, feeling slightly cold from the light wind dancing in the sky. The silence was deafening but I liked it nonetheless.

 

I ran away. Away from the all the chatter, clinking of fine china, champagne glasses and silverware, from the music, from all the cheers and laughter. I have always disliked social functions of any kind. I’ve decided to completely uninvolved myself to those kinds of things.

 

I sat down near the edge, listening to the sound of running water that was barely touching my ears. I lifted my head up to the sky and greeted the moon and stars. My dress, already tarnished with dirt and debris.

 

I wanna believe in life…

 

Somehow, I know how this life isn’t really meant to be lived in mediocrity. But I did. Everyone does. I’ve always thought that I lived it so well, doing what I want, living life as I pleased. And as I look at other people, I realize I have been living in mediocrity.

 

Lies. Everything was a lie.

 

An hour earlier, he was there the all too dashing Park Kyung, with a smile on his face, sitting beside me, holding my hand. I remember him telling me that he was very happy and he was finally living his life to the fullest. Lies. How I wanted to tell him. Everything was a lie. Our whole lives are lies. He complimented me on the way I looked, how my dress fitted me perfectly, how my make up made me look prettier than usual.

 

I wanna believe in love…

 

The darkness was slowly swallowing me, drowning me with its silence.

 

One step.

Everything ends with one step.

One step…

Can make all the difference in my life.

 

I looked up once again and let the tears flow smoothly to my cheeks, ruining my face, letting my soul to its freedom. I could hear footsteps behind me, but I chose to ignore it.

 

I heard a familiar sigh and found myself choking my tears more. I knew who it was, almost too well. I felt Kyung sitting down beside me but I was too afraid to look. I was afraid to affirm so many things, specially him. I heard him sighing again, and from the corner of my eye, I saw him moving. I felt cloth touching my cold shoulders and his arm was extended towards me.

 

“I’m not even going to ask if you’re okay. I know you’re not.” He said softly.

 

My heart was beating fast that I think its about to crash. I tried hard to control my sniffing, but to no avail. Kyung moved closer to me and placed his head on my shoulder. “Please stop crying.” He said with his melodious voice. He placed a hand on top of mine, I was about to jerk away but he held it firmly in place.

 

I saw his ring, glistening under the moonlight. And I saw my own ring near his. More tears fell out from my eyes as I looked away. “If only we weren’t who we are.” He told me. “If only I had the guts to fight for you. But I was too stupid. Stupid to let go of the most important thing in my life.”

 

For the first time today, I had the guts to actually look at him. I haven’t even told him how handsome he looked. How unusually dashing he is today, unlike any other day. How I liked his new hairstyle very much. “Its not your fault. Nor is it mine. We were both stupid to let go of what we had.” I told him.

 

We both fell in silence, and I felt more comfortable that way. I could feel the warmth that was coming off from his body, the warmth that I felt not too long ago. His warmth was my comfort. “You really do look beautiful today.”

 

I could barely smile at his compliment. “You can still compliment me at this time?” I asked him with a slight tired smile and he gave me the same tired smile I gave him.

 

We were both tired, emotionally and physically.

 

“Tell me about him.” He urged me. I knew it would hurt him, as much as it would hurt me to tell about him. “Is he everything I’m not?”

 

Yes. Because you’re everything I want and love, he’s just another stranger in this messed up upper class society that we lived in. I looked at him and could only smile. “I can’t ever compare you to anyone else.”

 

“Neither can I.” he replied and finally reached out to hold my hand in mine. “I’m—“ he started.

 

“Don’t.” I told him before he could say the word. “Don’t say sorry. I don’t want to hear it.” I shook my head. I probably looked like a mess by now. “You should get head back, they might be looking for you.”

 

Kyung smiled at me. “Like I care.”

 

I smirked at him. “Go Kyung. I’ll be okay.” I assured him.

 

He looked at me, tight lipped, his eyes full of question. Full of concern.

 

I hate it.

I hated when he’s like that.

 

He nodded though. I gave him his coat back, when I did, he pulled me into his arms. I inhaled his scent, probably for the last time. Took in his warmth that I always loved to come home to. Then I felt a drop of water on my bare shoulder.

 

Was he crying?

Was he in so much pain that the only outlet he had was to cry?

I don’t believe it.

 

He pulled away and smiled at me. “See you inside.” He said and stood up fully, dusting off his pants and disappearing from my sight.

 

“See you.” I whispered to the darkness.

 

I took one step.

And let the darkness take me.

 

Finally, freedom.



 

I know it's quite confusing lol.

if you're puzzled, you can ask 8)

I'd be more than glad to answer your question.

 

-listeningsoul