Should I? Or not?

Lucky

Ann's POV

I woke up with a headache the following morning after Pierro confessed to me. He wanted us to become official. It was a big word, and maybe it was overwhelming as well. Last night after I ended the call with him, I went straight to my bed, just lying on my back and staring at the ceiling. Falling asleep has never become that hard, except that night. It was nearing two in the morning, but I couldn't sleep, despite being tired the whole day. Thoughts surfaced in and out my head, suddenly remembering all the times we've spent these past few weeks, by the phone, by chats, and by video calls. He was always there to talk to me when I was bored, and he was always cheering me up when I was sad. He tells me about his day, while he listens to my skating adventures. 

 

"Do you want to be a professional iceskater?" Pierro asked me, one afternoon.

"No. I really wanted to be a fashion designer. But I'm doing skating as my scholarship, how about you?"

"I only have two dreams in life. First, I always wanted to be a musician, but I know that it will be hard to enter into an Art School for college, but i'm doing my best."

"You can do that! Trust yourself.. And the second dream?", I ask.

"And... for my second dream, I want to be close to my dream girl, the girl I saw at the stands cheering loudly, the girl with the glowing smile that fits her pretty face and the girl that dressed really classy yet simple. Whenever she laughs, it's music to my ears." 

"I want to give her all my love and sing a song for her." he continued.

"That girl will be very lucky to have you." I said.

"Yea, I would do anything to make her happy, even if losing her is the sacrifice."

"Losing her? Why?", I ask curiously.

"Because i think she has fallen inlove with her best friend."

 

 

I was thinking hardly, was Pierro talking about me? Because after the confession over the phone, I had now patched the cryptic messages he was trying to send. But that was definitely not me, I know that he always told me he liked me, but there are some things that didn't match. I don't have a glowing smile, nor I laugh in melody, I don't have a pretty face, and most definetely, I don't like my best friend. So who was he pertaining to?

 

I always felt the sincerity every time I talked to Pierro, and he's any girl's dream. He was popular, he was smart, he was a musician, and he was really really sweet. I was even lucky that he liked me; that for once, a guy actually likes me and really means it. Was it right that I had told Pierro to wait? 

 

I wanted my first relationship to be special, I wanted us to meet normally, I wanted to see him, to be able to hug him, or see him whenever I wanted. I wanted us to be able see to each other whenever we wanted to, but because we're living in separate countries, it couldn't be possible in any way.

Another reason? I was honestly scared. What if he finds someone else? What if what he expects me to be doesn't fit his standards? 

I was scared I'd lose him immediately. But also, I'm scared that if I start showing my feelings to him, it might be too late, too, and he might have moved on then. Do I let him wait? Or do I hold the risk?

 

I know things will be awkward after the confession.

Eventually, I give up, instead I take a bath, forcing myself into the bathroom and got ready for skating practice.

 

~

"Ann! Are you okay?" Coach Jim, my personal trainer told me. 

"Yes, coach." I answered while trying to get up from the ice-cold rink; it was my third fall today (with another one -- when I slipped slightly).

"It is as if you are really tired. Restless or lack of sleep? Is something bothering you?", he was worried.

"Uhmm..", I was hesitant, but he was coach. He had told me that whatever your thoughts are, it usually reflects in your work. I had to manage that myself.

 

"Ann! Coach Jim!", My father suddenly called, both our attentions going to him.

"Okay, session's done. Ann, please be careful.. We need to give 101% because the competition is nearing. And if you need anyone to talk to, it's Uncle Jim, for you, okay? Just please, not girl talk.", The coach smiles.

I nod, "Yes, I'm sorry for not being myself today. I'll try to work on this things and be back in a-okay shape tomorrow.", I shyly say.

Coach ruffles my hair, "It's okay. Let's just do better next time." He says and smiles.. He went his way towards the lockers after saying goodbye to father.

 

"Let's go, Ann?", My dad asked holding two of my bags on his hands.

"Dad..", I said and sat on a bench near the rink.

He felt the seriousness in my tone, suddenly dropping the bags carefully to the floor, and then he had sat beside me.

 

"What is it, my baby? Is any guy giving you pain? Let me give him some beating..", He taunted while pretending to give an annoyed face.

I smiled.. and hugged him. He was shocked but he returned the hug after seconds.

 

"What if I love a guy, but he's in the Philippines?" I ask. He was obviously taken aback, because he never thought I was serious about his joke about men. Maybe  asking Dad about boys is a bad idea, because the sudden change in his look had given me second thoughs of continuing.

"You have a boyfriend? Now, Ann Li! How could you?!" He said bluntly, feigned hurt.

I was shocked on his reaction.

 

His brows furrowed, "How could you trade me to a boy? And to whom I don't even know, as well?!" He continued scolding me.

"But dad.. he's not my boyfriend." I said, hugging him tighter.

"But do you like him?" Dad asked, now feeling his fatherly (overprotective) side.

 

"I think so.." I hesitated, because he might skin me alive.

"...but I told him that i'm not ready for a relationship yet."

"Ann, in love.. how should I say this?" He sighs, "I think you need to talk with your mother about these things."

"If he really loves you, he'll wait sincerely. You shouldn't hurry love, you got your whole life to deal with them. But if you really love the guy, we should meet him when we go to the Philippines." He smiled.

 

"D-dad? Are you serious?" 

"Of course. He must have been really awesome, that my daughter had been so so so distracted nowadays."

"Thank you, dad." I have not let go on my hug until now.

"For allowing you to have a boyfriend?", he teased.

I just chuckled.

~

 

Ann's POV

 

It was the day of the skating competition, and I was scared as hell. I've trained hard for the competition -- Coach Jim and I have practiced through the cold weather and the long nights. But my heart was beating fast, and I felt like it was to explode. Because my scholarship's at stake here.

-

Hours before the competition, my phone started vibrating, it was a foreign number, so probably it's someone from the Philippines. Was this Pierro's number? Or Fretzie's?

 

I answer it hesitantly, "Hello?"

"Hi Ann!" hearing James' voice.

"Oh, James?" I asked, making sure.

 

I haven't talked to James since forever. So honestly, he was the last person I expected to call.

"Yea, uhm.. Pierro told me that you were having the competition today."

"Yup. In a few minutes actually.", I said.

"Oh? So I have to do this a bit faster then?" James laughs, and at some point, my nervousness subsides. He continued with a good luck.

 

I was really nervous, not because of the competition, but because of our conversation. I haven't talked to James since the time I asked him to talk to Pierro for me, but that was it. We started growing apart after. Weird, because ever since we were kids, this was the farthest that we have been. Whenever i'll look for him, he's always busy with lots of stuffs (since he was part of the so-called committee for the Grand ball and maybe he was busy in dates). But I felt like he was just trying to avoid me, but I kept the idea away.

 

I don't know why he suddenly called, wishing me luck for the competition, but this time, he had made my nervousness drift away.

 

I head out to the ice rink, to get ready for the competition. I've registered my name and I changed on my competition clothes, while my family (together with today's evaluators) would be watching from the bleachers above, coach would be guiding me from the bottom. 

 

I was fourth in the line-up, and the program has just started. I sincerely prayed to God, asking him to guide me, and hoping that nothing bad will happen in the rink. Nothing, not a mess up, please.

 

The third contestant was on the rink, and was performing gracefully. She had done a piece I had watched before, but her finale was much grand. I placed my things to the side, I being up next

 

Before leaving my phone, I receive a message, just in time.

"Hey Ann, don't be nervous, okay? I'm definitely sure that you can do it! Remember that I believe in you. Will be waiting.. :)"

 

It made me smile, and gave me an extra boost. It was from Pierro.

"Next up, Contestant number 4." The announcer called out. I entered the rink, feeling the tension. Everyone's eyes were on me, and my music started playing. 

I was by the middle of the song, when I felt that one of my laces were loose. I tried to avoid it, hoping it doesn't get tangled upon my skates. It was almost my finale, and I glanced in the direction where my parents were seated. They were holding hands and watching me intently. Coach Jim was seating beside them, sweating regardless of the cold weather.  I think dad saw that I had a problem with my shoes, he suddenly stood up.

 

But the crowd at his back were whining, complaining that he was blocking the view.  So he just no choice but to sit again, after he had shouted his homemade cheer. Mom was definitely puzzled by his action, but from a far, it looked like he explained my dilemma to her. I had no choice but to continue, hoping for anything but the worst. I had to do my last spin. A camel sit spin followed by an Axel.

 

I was spinning and turning,  suddenly my foot slipped and next thing I knew, I was feeling the cold ice.

-

 

Narrator's POV

As Ann was doing her routine, all eyes were glued to her. She was graceful and her spins were perfect. She has caught the hearts of the audience, being the youngest skater in the batch of competitors. Everything was working out well, until a sudden slip turned into an accident. 

 

Ann fell seated on the rink, just on time for her finale. The audience suddenly burst, "Oh my! "Awwww.." A few people had stood up to watch clearer, while both her parents and the coach had immediately went to the middle, where Ann had fallen.

 

But instead of waiting, Ann stood up herself, dusting off the scraped ice from her dress, she had bowed to the crowd and then exited the stage.

She sat on a bench in the waiting area. She bowed her head and tears escaped from her eyes. She was crying. She was embarassed of failing to get her spin. She was scared on what her parents will say. She was anticipating the sermon she will get from her coach. She failed to impress the judge. And she wept harder when she realized that she will not get her scholarship with that failure. She won't get to study fashion, because she won't be getting the scholarship.

 

Her parents and Coach Jim ran to the waiting area, looking for Ann. At this point, they had no thought about the scholarship, they were worried for the fallen skater. But they weren't allowed because only the contestants should be in the waiting area. They tried calling for Ann, but she wouldn't answer her phone.

 

She got really depressed, and remained quiet until the awarding ceremonies.

"3rd Place goes to Contestant number 2!" The announcer said. The crowd was cheering in glee.

"2nd place goes to Contestant number 1!", he said after. 

"And the first place.." *drumroll* 

 

"Goes to none other that contestant number... 5!", He said happily. Ann congratulated each of the winners, and bid them farewell.

"Congrats! You did great!" she said.

"Thanks! But you did great also." the skater replied.

"Yea, too bad I missed the turn." Ann pouted.

"Don't get mad at yourself, it was an accident.", she cheered Ann.

 

The program was done, and Ann gathered her things and changed her clothes. She grabbed her phone, and checked if there were messages.

*5 missed calls and 3 text messages*

Missed Calls - Dad, Mom, Coach Jim, Dad, Mom

Text Messages - Mom, Dad, Pierro

 

She was on her way to the exit, and was busy checking her messages.

She was reading the message of Pierro, when suddenly she bumped into a lady.

"I'm sorry." She said, bowing her head.

"It's okay. Are you Ms. Ann Li?" the lady asked.

"Yes. Why?" she replied.

"I'm from Taipei Fashion Academy." she started.

Ann's jaw suddenly dropped, realizing who she was talking to. "Oh, is this about the termination of my scholarship? I-- Ma'am you should talk to my parents about it."

"..No, that's not what I need. I want to tell you that your performance a while ago was great." she continued.

 

"But I had a mistake.." Ann said.

"But, Miss Li, we won't take back your scholarship."

"What?!" Ann said, shocked with what she heard.

 

"We have been watching your determination and asking your coach about your training discipline So, regardless of the outcome of today's event, you'll still get the scholarship. And the mistake a while ago, is an accident. It can be prevented and no one wanted it to happen. So no need to worry about that." She said, smiling.

"But are you sure that you're okay, Ms. Li?"

"Thank You!" Ann said, hugging the professional, instead. Not minding the question.

 

She started breaking the hug, but Ann was too tight. She coughed to let Ann know she was uncomfortable.

"Oh, I'm sorry." she said, bowing her head again.

"It's okay, here's the letter." she handed a letter to Ann.

"Thank You.", Ann replied and the lady went on her way.