Prologue

Shut Up and Listen

♫ Prologue

Meet the characters...

It was eleven pm at a small, run down restaurant near the outskirts of Seoul. On the outside hung a blinking restaurant sign that read "Zeebreez" with the b and the last z unlit. There was a humble white sign with black letters hanging on the door that read "Open". Most of the light fixtures on the inside were either blinking or not lighting up at all. The whole restaurant smelled like cheap soju and smoke. There were posters of old Korean singers and some foreign bands partially hanging on the walls which were in desperate need of a paint job or at least some wallpaper. The floors were old, wooden, and creaky. The air conditioning of the facility was so badly broken for so long that it was forgotten about. But not to worry. Zeebreez has ceiling fans. For decoration. Although the entire restaurant had problems, the customers seemed to have even more! Customers ranging from recently divorced, drunken men who were crying their eyes out or men who had gone bankrupt due to their failed businesses in Seoul filled the creaking black stools and black round tables. To them, Zeebreez was the safe haven for the horrors of the big city. The only "young people" to be seen at Zeebreez were the waiters, busboys, and janitors who were desperate for money to spend in the big city of Seoul. Oh, and the band.

"Hey, INFINITE, are you guys set up yet? You're on in ten," came the call of a busboy who was busy wiping down tables in front of the humble stage. It was the best part of the whole restaurant. And also the newest. It was a raised black platform made of several black carpeted risers that the owners of the restaurant bought at a good price of junkyard free minus cost for cleaning.

"He said that ten minutes ago," a bright scarlet haired teen mumbled as he put his mic in place. He wore a black leather trench coat as well as a white printed t-shirt. Along with that, he wore a pair of bright scarlet skinny jeans that were the same shade as his hair along with a pair of beat up white converse.  He backed up into the the drum set which earned him a nasty glare from the drummer.

"Watch it Sunggyu hyung," came the drummer's warning reply. The drummer wore a black graphic t-shirt with white printed words as well as a pair of worn out denim skinny jeans and a pair of worn out black sneakers. He fixed the cymbal that Sunggyu accidentally tilted.

"Sorry, Sungyeol," Sunggyu apologized to the drummer as he stepped away from the drum set and tilted his mic up.

"Remind me why we perform here regularly," a teen holding a red electric guitar asked as he messed with the volume on his amp. The collar was popped on his black leather vest which was ped to show off his black wife beater. He wore a pair of black skinny jeans and black converse.

"Because they pay us," Sunggyu answered Dongwoo, their lead guitarist.

"And they're the only ones who'll have us," the teen standing next to Sunggyu mumbled. He was adorned in a black sleeveless v-neck shirt, black skinny jeans, and a pair of white sneakers.

Sunggyu patted his shoulder and smiled, "Hey, no worries Woohyun. We all have to start somewhere."

Woohyun sighed and shrugged Sunggyu's hand off of his shoulder. Sunggyu felt his heart sink and he turned to the keyboardist and the third vocalist.

"Sungjong, Hoya, you guys ready," Sunggyu asked. Sungjong looked up from his keyboard and nodded. Sungjong's hair was a fluffy mess and he wore a simple black hoodie, jeans, and black and white converse. Hoya nodded to Sunggyu as well. He was dressed in a black t-shirt with an opened denim vest over it. He also wore black jeans with a pair of worn out high tops.

"How about you, L?"

Sunggyu turned to the bassist on his right hand side. L wore a white jean jacket with a black t-shirt under it. His black denim skinny jeans were bleached in certain areas giving them an edgy look. He wore black and white high tops that matched his white bass with a black neck and knobs.

L gave Sunggyu a quick thumbs up and nodded. Sunggyu came and placed his hand on L's shoulder. He gave L a small squeeze and L gave him the briefest smile.

"Is something wrong," Sunggyu asked in a hushed tone.

L shook his head, "Come on. Let's get started. Before this crowd leaves."

"They're not leaving," Sungjong said jokingly, "They practically live here."

After a small chuckle between the members, INFINITE took their positions. Sunggyu grabbed the mic and Sungjong started with a soft melody.

// I sometimes walk and stop. I look around and our eyes meet //

Dongwoo started to strum and L started to pluck at his bass.

// I quickly turn my head away. I look at my toes and then slowly look up //

Sungyeol started to tap on the bass drum and gave the song more of a heartbeat.

// My eyes that get larger, my lips that open up slightly, my heart rings in my ears //

Then they all came together in a beautiful, soulful chorus as a combination of instruments and voice.

// 60 seconds is all I need for this story. You came into my heart. I don't doubt it, that you took me away. The time that wasn't short. You're that kind of person. A story that's enough for me. I don't need any reasons. You made my heart flutter and look for you. That first time //

Outside of Zeebreez, a girl stood on the sidewalk waiting for her friend. She pulled the white beanie out of her purse and handed the black helmet to her friend. She scraped her high tops over the sidewalk surface in boredom and scrolled down the list of songs she had on her phone. Her deep black hair and navy blue high-low shirt ruffled in the wind. On it was a white anchor broken in half with a star placed in between the broken pieces. Her denim shorts were hand frayed and hand bleached.

"Sara are you sure this is safe," her friend asked as she took the helmet and placed it in the compartment under the seat of her deep purple Honda Activa scooter. She took out a bright scarlet beanie from her purse and put it on over her wavy dark brown hair. She wore a lace tank top with a cropped brown leather jacker over it. She wore a lighter pair of brown shorts with a pair of black leggings underneath. The bottom of her leggings were safely tucked away inside her high tops.

"Relax, Yun Ae. Everything will be fine," Sara reassured Yun Ae as she watched Yun Ae kick the stand of the scooter.

"Are you sure nothing will happen to it," Yun Ae asked as she bit her lip slightly.

"I promise no one will steal your precious scooter. Or you." Sara proceeded to grab Yun Ae's arm and drag her by the stores.

Yun Ae happily linked arms with Sara as she stared up at the beaten down stores with barely lighting signs.

"Only you would know where to find a place like this," Yun Ae said with an exasperated sigh as she looked around.

"I know right," Sara said happily. "Hey, do you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

The two stayed silent for a moment and listened.

// Your voice breaks off, your tears that slowly build up and fall over. I hold you with my chest and stay there for a long time. Then slowly push you away. My empty eyes, my two lips that are at a loss for words, my heart stops at your sigh.

60 seconds is all I need for this story. You disappeared from my life. I didn't hold you back. The time that wasn't short. You're that kind of person. A story that's enough for me. I don't need any reasons. You clearly sent it. You said you were hurting and I let you go. Our last time //

The two girls sighed at the beautiful chorus and nodded along with the melody.

"It's so pretty," Yun Ae said with a sigh.

"I wonder who's singing. His voice is so mellow and soothing, but still strong," Sara said with a sigh as she tried to peek into the musty windows.

"It's like my whole body is numb and I can't think at all. I can only hear the music," Yun Ae whispered as she leaned her head against Sara's shoulder.

"It's like a music high. The best kind of high," Sara finished as she patted Yun Ae's head.

Yun Ae gasped and smacked Sara's shoulder. "Sara! You can't just say that! We're in South Korea!"

"Sorry for my dirty American mind," Sara said with a roll of her eyes. "But you were totally thinking it."

"I totally was. Come on, I need a new bow for my violin."

The two girls pulled away from the window of Zebreez and started to walk down the sidewalk.

"What kind of name is Zebreez anyway," Sara mumbled as she looked back at the restaurant sign and took a picture of it. "I bet the owner was drunk while trying to spell zebra."

"Or maybe he doesn't have very good English," Yun Ae suggested. "Are you sending that picture to Soo Kyung?"

"Yup. Too bad she couldn't come with us. She would have loved it here," Sara said as she started to text.

The two friends laughed together as they grew further away from the little run down restaurant.

As they left, three cars pulled up next to the curb. The first was a Cadillac CTS Luxury Coupe in raven black. The second was a Lexus IS Convertible in silver lining metallic. The final was a Lexus ES Sedan starfire pearl.

A young man wearing a white blazer with black t as well as black dress pants and black Armani dress shoes stepped out of the Cadillac and scoffed. He looked around at the run down stores and restaurants.

"Henry!"

The young man turned around to see his two friends getting out of their cars. They were both dressed black blazers but had different patterned dress shirts underneath. Both were dressed in black dress pants as well as black Armani dress shoes.

"Why are we in this dump," one asked as he looked around at the unbelievable sight in front of him.

Henry gave no reply as he looked at the shops and restaurants in front of him. His two friends shrugged and stood behind him.

"Yonghwa, Jonghun, listen."

The three kept silent and listened.

// (My two stories) My hot and cold times (with you). They're both memories that you gave to me //

"What is that awful racket," Yonghwa asked, cringing slightly.

"Isn't it obvious? It's that sad excuse for a band from Woollim," Jonghun said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"I say we press the mute button on their excuse for music," Yonghwa said with a smirk.

"I want to give that little brat, L, a taste of his own medicine. We still need to give them a big thank you for redecorating our practice room last week."

Henry popped the collar of his blazer and the three strolled into the restaurant. He looked around in disgust at the shabby decor and the pathetic customers. 

Yonghwa sniffed and gagged. "Please tell me that is not vomit that I'm smelling," he said as he covered his mouth and nose with his arm.

"What is this dump," Jonghun asked as he inspected the place. His eyes widened for a brief moment as he lifted up his leg and inspected the bottom of his shoe. "Did I just step on gum?"

// (My two stories) The same times, but with different sides of you. My double edge memories //

There was a pause in the music. Sunggyu panted and held the mic away from himself. Dongwoo started to strum gently, but before Sunggyu could start with the final soulful chorus, the patch cord was ripped out of Dongwoo's amp, leaving behind a loud screech of stereo static.

INFINITE stood back in disbelief as they watched Yonghwa swing the patch cord around in a circle.

"Great job, guys," Henry said with a sarcastic clap as he gestured to the hung over old men passed out on the tables, "You put your audience to sleep."

"Why are you here," L asked with a sneer on his face as he stepped towards Henry.

"We were just in the neighborhood. Thought we'd pay you a visit."

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬
author's note 
First chapter should be up soon! Thanks for reading the prologue! Comments are loved!
The song that INFINITE plays is down below