1

Prom Dress

“Oh, my God. Did you hear?”

“Hear what?”

“They’ve changed the venue!”

“What, again?”

“Uh huh - it’s back to where they originally planned it.”

Chanyeol listened to the conversation the girls were having. He felt like he shouldn’t care, but he couldn’t deny the fact that he was genuinely interested. Still, he made no attempt to join the discussion. After all, the rumours had scarcely stopped and he had no intention of starting them again.

“Hey Chanyeol.” He turned upon hearing his name.

“Hey, Kris.” Kris leaned against the wall beside him. They weren’t close but they shared a few classes together, and Kris always made a point of talking to him. He was nice enough, and although he hated to admit it, Kris was the closest thing he had to a friend at the school.

“Prom’s coming up fast.”

Even around guys Chanyeol found it impossible to escape the fact.

“So, who you taking?”

In all honesty, he didn’t know.

“I’m not sure if I’m going...”

If he was brave enough, he’d ask his boyfriend Baekhyun to go with him.

“Don’t be like that - it’ll be fun!”

“Really? Because I’ve no one to go with.”

But of course, he wasn’t.

“So what? ‘Sides, I bet there’s quite a few girls who haven’t been asked yet who would kill to go with you.”

He let out a short, bitter laugh. Kris shot him a look.

“I’m serious.”

Chanyeol looked up at Kris, and in that moment he could have spilt everything: tired of hiding. He didn’t care if it made everyone hate him, because at that precise moment he hated himself. He opened his mouth. The bell rang.

 

*

 

“Are you kidding? I’d love to go with you!” Chanyeol grinned and let himself be crushed in his boyfriend’s embrace.

“Brilliant!” After a moment, Baekhyun pulled back.

“But are you sure you’re ready for this?” Chanyeol stared into Baekhyun’s eyes. He looked anxious. For a brief second Chanyeol doubted his decision.

“Yes,” he nodded, “I’m certain.” Baekhyun’s smile returned, but quickly disappeared again as another question darted into his mind:

“What are you going to wear?”

 

*

 

Chanyeol stared up at his bedroom ceiling. He had seen it coming, but he hadn’t thought it would be quite so big. His parents were still arguing downstairs. His dad had supported his decision. He wasn’t thrilled, but Chanyeol hadn’t expected him to be. Dara - his mother - did not. She had told him he was no longer her son.

He closed his eyes in an attempt to hold back tears. By the time he had calmed down, he had made up his mind. With a sigh, he dragged himself from his bed and down the stairs. He made his way to the front door.

“Where do you think you’re going?!” his mother screamed from the next room.

He glanced back - “Out.” - then left. As he walked down the street, he let out a little, relieved laugh.

 

*

 

Chanyeol hung up the phone, glad Baekhyun could come meet him; he was in the mood for some last minute shopping, and wanted Baekhyun’s opinion. But first, he wanted to go see Luna.

Luna was a youth worker and member of the local LGBT+ Activism Group. She was also one of Chanyeol’s best friends.

“Hey Yeollie,” she sang as she strolled through the door. “What’s up? Baekhyun said you’ve been struggling recently.” Chanyeol blushed slightly, smiling despite himself at the thought of Baekhyun worrying about him.

“Y-Yeah,” he mumbled, fiddling with the zip on his jacket.

“Do you want to talk about it?” she asked, signalling to a nearby chair. He took the offer and sat.

“So I hear prom’s approaching fast?” Chanyeol nodded. “Is that what’s worrying you?” He nodded again. “You’re going with Baekhyun, right?”

“Yeah, I am... And that’s half of why I’m worried.” He always felt awkward talking about these things - even with Luna.

“So,” she leaned forward in her seat, “what’s the other half?”

 

*

 

Chanyeol stared at himself in the mirror. He felt like he was going to throw up.

“You look beautiful.”

Chanyeol smiled when he heard Baekhyun’s voice, and welcomed his embrace. He had gotten ready at Baekhyun’s house - Dara refusing to ‘see him like that’.

“Really?”

“Definitely.” Baekhyun ran his hand along the soft blue fabric. “You nervous?” Chanyeol nodded self-consciously, still staring at the mirror. He saw Baekhyun smile.

“Don’t be.”

 

*

 

So this was it. Chanyeol clutched at Baekhyun’s hand, his stomach doing summersaults. He had never been so scared in his life. Not only would he be letting the whole school know he was gay, but-

“We’re here!”

Baekhyun’s voice shocked him out of his thoughts. He glanced out the car window, then up at Baekhyun, then out the window once more.

“Hey, Yeol.” Chanyeol turned to face Baekhyun again, and was rewarded with a gentle kiss. He smiled.

“It’ll be fine. I promise.”

Chanyeol’s smile didn’t falter.

“I know.”

When they stepped out the car, Chanyeol’s world exploded around him. At first people didn’t recognize him. Yet when they did, he hardly noticed. He saw fear, disgust and confusion dance behind their eyes - all directed at him - and he couldn’t care less. He caught sight of himself in a window and smiled.

The pale blue dress draped over his slim frame perfectly, his necklace defining his distinct collar bones. His hair fell in gentle ringlets, framing his delicate features in the loveliest of ways and the make-up brightened his eyes. He looked beautiful. He felt beautiful.

He felt like himself.

 

 

A/N: I really don't know where this came from. It's kind of a drabble? I dunno man, I just like crossdressing Chanyeol - there's not enough of it out there.