iii.

Just Fine

“Let go of me,” Abby whispered, gritting her teeth. The class went quiet for the first time, all watching her and Jiho. Jiho let go of her and placed his hands in his pockets, feeling awkward with the sudden attention to him and her.

As soon as he let go the class went on with their own activities again. Some are in groups, gossiping and laughing together. Some are alone, studying and sleeping. Abby made her way to her seat, passing a few students who were whispering about her.

“What has gotten into Abby?”

“Why is Jiho with her?”

“Shut up, girls! She’ll hear us,”

Abby clearly heard it. They were staring at Abby while whispering and pretended to open their books as she passed. She smirked at their dumbness. She sat in her seat, taking out books to study. She turned around to put her bag away and saw Jiho talking to his friends at the back of the class.

Jiho was sitting on the table, letting his legs hung and his hands grabbing the edge of the table. The sunlight shone on him as he smiled probably at his friend’s jokes. His hair turned gold by the sun. The colour of his eyes turned lighter. He turned his head to her direction and caught her staring. Abby was not aware that she was staring.

Jiho’s mouth twitched into a small smile. Abby turned away quickly, flustered. She had never notice Jiho before and she regretted it. She could have been friends with him by now if she was not too ignorant. Thinking that how bad her attitude and how much she hates everyone she gave up. She opened her book and waited for the teacher to come in and teach them. Like always.

 

It was the science class. Half of the students were knocked out into a deep sleep and the other half were doing their own things like talking to each other, played games in their smartphones and just blanked out. Only a few were focused on the teacher, Mr. Do. He was actually pretty boring too, he’s bad at gaining student’s attentions and he didn’t really care what they wanted to do.

“Uh… Okay, class,” he put down the chalk and looked at the students. He sighed, “You can do the exercise now. And you are allowed to discuss with your friends,”

By that, the students scattered to sit in their own groups and not doing the work the teacher told them to. Abby looked at everyone and at one of her classmate sitting beside her. She shrugged and Abby shook her head.

She usually paired up with Abby because both didn’t have any friends and didn’t bother to make any. They competed with each other to get the top of the class. They helped each other out but strangely, they were not friends. They were just partners.

Abby was once confused with her classmate whether she is a friend or not. She decided to search for the meaning of the word ‘friend’.

‘Friend is a person whom one knows, likes and trusts’ was one of the definition. She knew her except for her name because she couldn’t remember. But she didn’t like and trust her so she figured out that they were not friends.

She continued to do her work with earphones in her both ears. She started writing the answers but was stopped when she heard a chair was dragged next to her. She glared at the chair, hoping that it would vanish from her sight. The chair stopped in front of her table, facing her.

“What do you want?” she said, not looking up. The person was already sitting in front of her, pushing her book away a little to fit his book on the table. Not gaining any response from the person, she put down her pencil and looked up.

“Hi,” Jiho grinned as he waved his pen in his hand like a kid.

Abby looked to her right, front and back to check if the other students saw them. They were all too busy to even notice except the one who sat beside her. She raised an eyebrow and continued with her work.

Abby leaned in closer to Jiho and whispered, “What are you doing here?”

“I’m really bad at science so I came to do this with you,”

“Why don’t you do it with your friends?” Abby nodded at a group of boys at the back.

“You think they’ll do this?”

“Then don’t do it like you always do,”

“Excuse me, missy,” he pointed his pen at her, “I do my work okay? It’s just that I get distracted and procrastinate...a lot,”

“Uh-uh… I see. Go back to your seat,”

“No,”

“Yes,”

Jiho glued himself to the chair, staring at Abby.

“They are going to see us,” she gritted her teeth.

“It’s fine. We’re classmates,” he leaned in as his clear eyes looked into hers, “Plus, they don’t care,”

Abby hesitated when she looked at her surroundings. She looked back at Jiho, “Fine,”

 

The bell rang, signing that school was over for that day. Abby quickly packed her things and went out of the classroom along with the other classmates. She glared at everyone every time they accidently bumped her. They backed away quickly letting Abby go out first.

“Yah!”

Abby stopped when someone tugged her backpack by the road, “WHAT THE ?”

“Why do I keep running to you?” Jiho’s breath hitched. He was still holding on to her bag, afraid that she’ll run away.

“And why do you keep following me?” Abby grabbed his arm firmly and let go of it from the bag.

“Why won’t you wait for me?”

“Do I have to?”

“I thought I asked you to walk together with me,”

“That was for this morning,”

“I meant going to school and going back from school,”

“Ah…”

Jiho smirked and pushed her to walk, “I hope you stop cursing at me from now on,”

“And I hope you stop startling me,” Abby rolled her eyes.

Jiho burst into a laugh and they walked together side by side.

“Hey,” Jiho said as he remembered something.

“What?”

“I have to perform at Hongdae tonight,”

“So?”

“I am inviting you to watch my performance today,”

It was Abby’s first time being invited by someone from her school. She hesitated, “You’re inviting me?”

“Yes,”

“Um… I don’t know. Can I go?”

“Of course! We’ll be performing in an open space so everyone’s welcome to watch,”

“But tonight is my shift at the shop,”

“We’ll start late. There will be other performers so I think you could make it. At what time you finish?”

“10pm,”

“You’re good then. You can go,”

“Really?” her voice squeaked in excitement. She cleared , embarrassed, “I don’t know because I’m not sure if Hakyeon will let me,”

“Please go,” Jiho suddenly linked his arm with hers. “Pleaseeeeeeee,”

Abby gulped, “Acting cute does not work on me,”

“Pleaseeeeeee,” Jiho pleaded, pouting his lips.

“I’ll go if I can okay?” 

 


[A/N]: Hi! I just wanted to say thank you for reading and I really appreciate it. Comments are welcomed. I'd really want to know if you guys like it so do comment.